ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Expansion: Analyzing Which Schools Could End Up Joining the ACC?, LINK!

Gene DeFilippo felt that way in 2011, but he was only about 6 years from being sued. He wanted to be "the" team from New England. The reality is that you need for New England to be interested in the first place, and that happens when there are regional rivalries that fans care about in New England. Boston College doesn't have any in the ACC like they have in Hockey East. They need one, and UConn could fill that roll. The new Boston College AD should not still feel the same way as Gene DeFelippo. BC needs a regional rival like everyone else in the ACC needs one.

Fair points

I think what's most remarkable is just the way this went down and how things could really crash and burn for the Big12. I would not be shocked to see expansion and contraction happen. Look at Vandy and ask why the SEC would keep them if they could just swap them out for Texas? Not sure how these conference by-laws are set up but money always finds a way.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I think what's most remarkable is just the way this went down and how things could really crash and burn for the Big12. I would not be shocked to see expansion and contraction happen. Look at Vandy and ask why the SEC would keep them if they could just swap them out for Texas? Not sure how these conference by-laws are set up but money always finds a way.
Good point, if Conferences could get into swaps, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Cal, UA, Kansas, Purdue, and Baylor could be trouble since there are Programs already in those States in the same Conferences. As far as Football is concern, but they do contribute big time in Basketball.

A Re-Organization will happen one day on a For Profit League under the Non-Profit Institutions as most Sports Lawyers predict and it will be on similar model as the NFL on parity, geographic locations, and cost controls making even more money on a more competitive GridIron level playing field.

By the way, I just learned why it was called The Gridiron? Back when FB started there were Square Grids Playing Fields. The ball would be snapped in the grid in which it was downed on the previous play. The grid system was abandoned in favor of the system of yard lines and hash marks used today, but the term "Gridiron" has survived?

Last edited:
Good point, if Conferences could get into swaps, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Cal, UA, Kansas, Purdue, and Baylor could be trouble since there are Programs already in those States in the same Conferences. As far as Football is concern, but they do contribute big time in Basketball.

A Re-Organization will happen one day on a For Profit League under the Non-Profit Institutions as most Sports Lawyers predict and it will be on similar model as the NFL on parity, geographic locations, and cost controls making even more money on a more competitive GridIron level playing field.

By the way, I just learned why it was called The Gridiron? Back when FB started there were Square Grids Playing Fields. The ball would be snapped in the grid in which it was downed on the previous play. The grid system was abandoned in favor of the system of yard lines and hash marks used today, but the term "Gridiron" has survived?

Here's what the "gridiron" looked like.

1908GridironHarvard.jpg

Didn't it also have something to do with restrictions on the forward pass when it was first legalized?

Didn't it also have something to do with restrictions on the forward pass when it was first legalized?
I have no clue, just learned why it was called Gridiron!

What I learn I share on the Lair and let Great Posters like you take from there that care and give us more to learn and share!

Forward pass legalized when did that happen??
Geezzzz nobody tells me anything?
Now I'm going to have to start looking stuff up on the com puter just got this new model.
th

IMO, the one that makes the sense if ND refuses is UCONN. They fit academically, they're on the east coast, thus
fitting the Atlantic Coast moniker. Their basketball is very good, and the girls are off the charts. Football is good enough and would improve with entrance into the league. They also represent a very good tv market, not just Hartford, but ALL of Connecticut.
Don’t tell B.C. that....

Whatever happened to Capt. Sidney Reilly and Buffet Parrothead (and all of his aliases? I remember Buffet Parrothead used to be a huge Covid denier who bragged about going to big mass gatherings maskless. He was in his 70s I believe. I wonder if he died from Covid.

There is the one question that needs to be asked before choosing a school to join the ACC. This is what the fossils and eggheads will ask:

If the school’s athletic programs go south, what else does that school bring to the table? That is key.

Unless you are a school with elite athletic programs, most schools sports success comes and goes. This is the part that will hurt WVU.

USF & UCF Would be squeezed out by Miami and FSU.

UConn would have the same problem. They would be squeezed by BC.

Temple would not be a bad fit, but there is one school that would be better….

Cincinnati would be the easiest and best all around fit for the ACC (not named Notre Dame).

* New TV Market
* New area to expand
* Solid Academics
* Natural rival with Louisville / Pitt
* Endowment

Cincinnati is the best and most realistic fit for the ACC.

Last edited:
There is the one question that needs to be asked before choosing a school to join the ACC. This is what the fossils and eggheads will ask.
If the school’s athletic programs go south, what else does that school bring to the table? That is key. Unless you are a school with elite athletic programs, most schools sports success comes and goes.

This is the part that will hurt WVU. USF & UCF Would be squeezed out by Miami and FSU.

Cincinnati would be the easiest and best all around fit for the ACC (not named Notre Dame).

* New TV Market
* New area to expand
* Solid Academics
* Endowment

Ehh Cincy does nothing for me. I think I would rather not expand if that was the only option.....came with UConn.

There is the one question that needs to be asked before choosing a school to join the ACC. This is what the fossils and eggheads will ask:

If the school’s athletic programs go south, what else does that school bring to the table? That is key.

Unless you are a school with elite athletic programs, most schools sports success comes and goes. This is the part that will hurt WVU.

USF & UCF Would be squeezed out by Miami and FSU.

* New TV Market
* New area to expand
* Solid Academics
* Endowment

Cincy is the choice almost by default. There really isn't much left to choose from unless someone wants to shuffle out of another P5 and I can't really think of anyone who is doing that.

Personally, I don't see the ACC expanding for a while unless another P5 crumbles. That might cause some shuffling. Only realistic if the Big 12 can't get a new TV deal done or someone is still miffed at how it shakes out but you'd think there would be rumblings by now.

Also, since we're on the subject, the AAC is just getting weird. The rumblings about them expanding are strange. I have no idea what adding Boise and/or San Diego State does for that conference. It seems like they're just adding expense without adding revenue.

Big 10 will never kick out NW
ACC will never kick out WF

The only way out is creating a "new" conference and not inviting them which will never happen.

WVU is most suited for the SEC if the B12 fails and I could see that happening especially if SEC is unable to get an NCST or UNC to jump ship. WVU gets the SEC into that region of the country.

WVU makes no sense for ACC. ND obviously, either MD/Navy, Cincy, Think bigger and maybe a Vanderbilt. KY or Penn st would make sense too.

Big 10 will never kick out NW
ACC will never kick out WF

The only way out is creating a "new" conference and not inviting them which will never happen.

WVU is most suited for the SEC if the B12 fails and I could see that happening especially if SEC is unable to get an NCST or UNC to jump ship. WVU gets the SEC into that region of the country.

WVU makes no sense for ACC. ND obviously, either MD/Navy, Cincy, Think bigger and maybe a Vanderbilt. KY or Penn st would make sense too.
Moving to the SEC would help WVU's recruiting but I don't think it does more than make them Arkansas Lite. Not sure what value they bring to the SEC, either but beyond that, I can't disagree. They could also be the "odd man out", so to speak. If the Big12 broke up, is anyone trying to be the first in line to get them? That said, I think they stay put as long as the Big12 exists in some form.

I don't think any of the P5 conferences will add schools. Texas & Oklahoma will make noise about bolting the Big 12 but they're not going to give up the power they hold over the conference, the easier path to the CFP, and the political fight in possibly leaving Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma State behind. The whole Big 12 raiding the PAC-12 is just writers and bloggers trying to get clicks, none of the PAC-12 schools want to be associated with a school like Baylor and no one wants to be in a conference that stretches from Morgantown to Seattle. The B1G would love to add Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia Tech but Virginia can't go anywhere without VT, same with NC and NCState, plus those schools alumni base wouldn't be keen on throwing away their long term rivalries to play the likes of Purdue & Minnesota. The SEC doesn't need to add anyone.

I would put Houston high on the list. Big time TV market, big money supporter(Tilman Fertitta) and new fertile recruiting base. After ND, Texas - Houston would be my highest ranked team.

I would put Houston high on the list. Big time TV market, big money supporter(Tilman Fertitta) and new fertile recruiting base. After ND, Texas - Houston would be my highest ranked team.

I thought about Houston as well, but I don’t think the ACC schools would want to expand all over the U.S. like the AAC or Conference USA. They would probably want to stay closer to their region for traveling purposes.

I would put Houston high on the list. Big time TV market, big money supporter(Tilman Fertitta) and new fertile recruiting base. After ND, Texas - Houston would be my highest ranked team
Besides ND and Texas, it would be:

1. Temple (only if new stadium)
2. UConn
3. WVU
4. Houston
5. Cincy

I don't think any of the P5 conferences will add schools. Texas & Oklahoma will make noise about bolting the Big 12 but they're not going to give up the power they hold over the conference, the easier path to the CFP, and the political fight in possibly leaving Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma State behind. The whole Big 12 raiding the PAC-12 is just writers and bloggers trying to get clicks, none of the PAC-12 schools want to be associated with a school like Baylor and no one wants to be in a conference that stretches from Morgantown to Seattle. The B1G would love to add Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia Tech but Virginia can't go anywhere without VT, same with NC and NCState, plus those schools alumni base wouldn't be keen on throwing away their long term rivalries to play the likes of Purdue & Minnesota. The SEC doesn't need to add anyone.
I don’t understand why the B1G would want those schools. I think the B1G would only add Texas and Oklahoma if one or both becomes available but I wouldn’t bet on it.

The only likely scenario of anyone jumping P5 conferences would be someone from the PAC12 going to the Big12. That’s probably it. Really doesn’t move the needle for anyone else.

I don’t understand why the B1G would want those schools. I think the B1G would only add Texas and Oklahoma if one or both becomes available but I wouldn’t bet on it.

The only likely scenario of anyone jumping P5 conferences would be someone from the PAC12 going to the Big12. That’s probably it. Really doesn’t move the needle for anyone else.
Former B1G commish Jim Delany wanted Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia Tech for the same reason he wanted Rutgers and Maryland, B1G Network money via higher fees in states with B1G schools, plus getting a foothold in states with expanding populations since the rest of the B1G is located in states with stagnant or declining population. Yeah the B1G would love Texas and/or Oklahoma but those schools aren't leaving the Big 12.

As for anyone leaving the PAC-12, Washington & WSU, Oregon & Oregon State, Cal & UCLA are tied at the hip, most of the student body and alumni at Arizona and ASU are from California so they aren't going anywhere, Colorado isn't going back, Utah brings nothing, USC and Stanford don't want to be outliers, don't want to be associated with schools like Baylor, TCU and WVU and don't want to be third and fourth fiddle to Texas and Oklahoma.

Conferences will continue for all sports, except obviously football. This model just doesn’t work. Purdue isn’t going to make the same amount as Ohio St. Pitt isn’t going to make the same amount as Clemson.

College football is broken. Not just the playoff. That’s the biggest misnomer out there. September college football is an absolute joke. The media will have you believe there are tons of great OOC games. Ohio St never plays anyone of equal talent. It’s why the Texas and USC series that the Bucks played in 21st century were so big. Alabama never plays anyone of equal value. Hell, we played them in 2014 (and played them very tough). They also played Louisville or NC State or one of those middle ACC programs. It’s always in ATL.

The regular season of college football is a bigger problem than the playoff. When the best of the best play 12 regular season games and MAYBE 3 are against equal nemesis then it won’t last. Especially in this age of “events” being much greater than “games”.

It’s all going to change for college football and it’s going to happen quicker than you’d think.

Conferences will continue for all sports, except obviously football. This model just doesn’t work. Purdue isn’t going to make the same amount as Ohio St. Pitt isn’t going to make the same amount as Clemson.

College football is broken. Not just the playoff. That’s the biggest misnomer out there. September college football is an absolute joke. The media will have you believe there are tons of great OOC games. Ohio St never plays anyone of equal talent. It’s why the Texas and USC series that the Bucks played in 21st century were so big. Alabama never plays anyone of equal value. Hell, we played them in 2014 (and played them very tough). They also played Louisville or NC State or one of those middle ACC programs. It’s always in ATL.

The regular season of college football is a bigger problem than the playoff. When the best of the best play 12 regular season games and MAYBE 3 are against equal nemesis then it won’t last. Especially in this age of “events” being much greater than “games”.

It’s all going to change for college football and it’s going to happen quicker than you’d think.
I don’t disagree with your analysis. To be honest I would watch WVU v ISU before watching Alabama v the little sisters of the poor or OSU v Michigan.

I don’t disagree with your analysis. To be honest I would watch WVU v ISU before watching Alabama v the little sisters of the poor or OSU v Michigan.
I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if “regional conferences” happen again once football splits from the rest of the sports. BTW, WVU and Pitt are going to start playing in football again (I mean more consistently than upcoming series). Pitt fans who complain about WVU fan behavior mean nothing. Both administrations understand that it’s brand is enhanced with a game that is nationally known and even has a branded name to the game. Trust me when I tell you that these aren’t just my thoughts. Those things matter an absolute ton in 2021 (let alone 2031). Especially to programs that aren’t in tier 1 like WVU and Pitt.

Reactions: Dan1911

Ok.

I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if “regional conferences” happen again once football splits from the rest of the sports. BTW, WVU and Pitt are going to start playing in football again (I mean more consistently than upcoming series). Pitt fans who complain about WVU fan behavior mean nothing. Both administrations understand that it’s brand is enhanced with a game that is nationally known and even has a branded name to the game. Trust me when I tell you that these aren’t just my thoughts. Those things matter an absolute ton in 2021 (let alone 2031). Especially to programs that aren’t in tier 1 like WVU and Pitt.
Regarding what is tier 1 program Michigan? UCLA ? I could go on and on. The halves not population out weighs the haves. So in simple game theory what would you do? Remember the entire state of Alabama population is about the size of WPA.

Besides ND and Texas, it would be:

1. Temple (only if new stadium)
2. UConn
3. WVU
4. Houston
5. Cincy
No chance on anyone on that list other than Houston. Why would the ACC want to expand into those other geographic areas? Yeah...Philly is a big market but Temple is not even close to having the support and growth potential of UH.

I believe the people who pay for the rights to the games and the people who cash the checks would strongly disagree. None of those people care about actual the "competitiveness" of the games. They can market that up so it's not a big deal. There's also that minor detail of taking the money off of the "haves". Let me know how that goes.

No chance on anyone on that list other than Houston. Why would the ACC want to expand into those other geographic areas? Yeah...Philly is a big market but Temple is not even close to having the support and growth potential of UH.
Philly is a huge market right in ACC territory. They would also be a great basketball addition (Philly recruiting) as though they haven't been good recently, they are historic bball program. If they get a football stadium, they are easily #1 though it doesn't look like that stadium is happening

Philly is a huge market right in ACC territory. They would also be a great basketball addition (Philly recruiting) as though they haven't been good recently, they are historic bball program. If they get a football stadium, they are easily #1 though it doesn't look like that stadium is happening

The ACC isn’t going to add a member because of a football stadium - and yes, they already have the Philly market in their footprint. They dont have the Southwest region...new blood colored green.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT