ADVERTISEMENT

Conference to Non-Conference Comparison

TJOlsen

Walk-on
Sep 13, 2017
We all know that X and Trey have been significantly struggling this season and I feel like making this post is borderline beating a dead horse, but I found this stat very interesting and figured I would share.

Xavier shooting percentage:

Season: 37%
Conference play: 32.14%
Non-Conference Play: 42.59%

Trey shooting percentage:

Season: 36.9%
Conference play: 30.27%
Non-Conference Play: 46.5%

The numbers make sense since the ACC as a whole is tougher than our full non conference schedule, but I wanted to share the stats.

We all know that X and Trey have been significantly struggling this season and I feel like making this post is borderline beating a dead horse, but I found this stat very interesting and figured I would share.

Xavier shooting percentage:

Season: 37%
Conference play: 32.14%
Non-Conference Play: 42.59%

Trey shooting percentage:

Season: 36.9%
Conference play: 30.27%
Non-Conference Play: 46.5%

The numbers make sense since the ACC as a whole is tougher than our full non conference schedule, but I wanted to share the stats.
Fair

It just shows that our conf has the tape on how to stop them and have better talent right now to do it. In a post last week I said if I was a coach I would zone against Pitt 99% of the time until they prove they can beat it. FSU never plays zone but after the 1st 10mims of man to man and getting beat off the dribble what did they do they went zone and we never had a real chance after that.

It just shows that our conf has the tape on how to stop them and have better talent right now to do it. In a post last week I said if I was a coach I would zone against Pitt 99% of the time until they prove they can beat it. FSU never plays zone but after the 1st 10mims of man to man and getting beat off the dribble what did they do they went zone and we never had a real chance after that.
It leads me to wonder if it is more of a personnel issue or a coaching deficiency. We struggled against zone last year as well and we look no better suited to handle it this season.

IMHO, our zone problems are neither coaching or player attitude issues (if that is what you mean by a personnel issue).

IMHO, it is a roster makeup issue. No superior 3-ball shooters and not enough inside game to create that inside threat that cause zones to sag and create kickouts for open 3s. Also, when attacking the zone by getting the ball in to a player in the foul line elbow area that player needs to be tall enough to make it reasonably easy to pass to and for him to be able to shoot or pass effectively against very tall inside defenders in a zone (e.g., like Syracuse's). In the ACC that probably means about 6-8 to be effective, IMHO. Maybe Noah Collier or John Hugley will be suitable to fill that role for us next year.

Reactions: Tonyt66
IMHO, our zone problems are neither coaching or player attitude issues (if that is what you mean by a personnel issue).

IMHO, it is a roster makeup issue. No superior 3-ball shooters and not enough inside game to create that inside threat that cause zones to sag and create kickouts for open 3s. Also, when attacking the zone by getting the ball in to a player in the foul line elbow area that player needs to be tall enough to make it reasonably easy to pass to and for him to be able to shoot or pass effectively against very tall inside defenders in a zone (e.g., like Syracuse's). In the ACC that probably means about 6-8 to be effective, IMHO. Maybe Noah Collier or John Hugley will be suitable to fill that role for us next year.
I think it's this. You see us doing most of the things that a team is supposed to do to beat the zone. Our guys just don't move the basketball well enough, and when we do, our shots just don't find the bottom of the net.

Reactions: Tonyt66

I agree with you and that's why I keep saying next year will be better for us even if Trey & X don't get there shot together.

I think it's this. You see us doing most of the things that a team is supposed to do to beat the zone. Our guys just don't move the basketball well enough, and when we do, our shots just don't find the bottom of the net.
Your right about that. That's because we have 2 SG's who are not good shooters and no real PG to operate against the zone and no inside presence. Don't get me wrong I love there fight and think that comes from coaching but we are who we are and we have who we have. Like coach said we can't make trade. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT