ADVERTISEMENT

Coulibaly in transfer portal now

Yea I thought even DT said something about he and his people view him as a 4 and he may have even said possibly a 3. He’s neither.

Losing a player of his caliber isn’t a big deal. But in the context of the mass exodus you do wonder what in the world is going on.

That was always the plan, he wasn't supposed to be a center. He was also misused badly in the offense and was way underused as a player with his efficiency metrics. He also thought about transferring last year.

There is way too much putting the cart in front of the horse on both sides of the coin here.

On one side, you will have 1000+ transfers available, a loaded 2022 class available, and Rodney Gallagher right there in the wings who is going to be a complete stud that is still a Pitt lean, a 5 star potential talent.

On the other side, We just finished year 3. We finished the year with a walkon point guard playing in the rotation, a 17 year old starter who wasn't close to being ready to start, and Terrell Brown who we failed to upgrade over the past 3 years off the bench who finally left. Our frontcourt is a mess. Our backcourt looks potentially really good imo.

I can say with a 1000% straight face that we are right near the top for some terrific players. I can also say none of them have signed an loi with Pitt and none of them have committed to Pitt. And that includes Jarrod West who many think Pitt leads for. That simply is not the case as I think Louisville could actually be the favorite for him right now. They are all over him.

I would do what it takes to get Blakes to kick this class off. There is a lot still in play here.

That was always the plan, he wasn't supposed to be a center. He was also misused badly in the offense and was way underused as a player with his efficiency metrics. He also thought about transferring last year.

There is way too much putting the cart in front of the horse on both sides of the coin here.

On one side, you will have 1000+ transfers available, a loaded 2022 class available, and Rodney Gallagher right there in the wings who is going to be a complete stud that is still a Pitt lean, a 5 star potential talent.

On the other side, We just finished year 3. We finished the year with a walkon point guard playing in the rotation, a 17 year old starter who wasn't close to being ready to start, and Terrell Brown who we failed to upgrade over the past 3 years off the bench who finally left. Our frontcourt is a mess. Our backcourt looks potentially really good imo.

I can say with a 1000% straight face that we are right near the top for some terrific players. I can also say none of them have signed an loi with Pitt and none of them have committed to Pitt. And that includes Jarrod West who many think Pitt leads for. That simply is not the case as I think Louisville could actually be the favorite for him right now. They are all over him.

I would do what it takes to get Blakes to kick this class off. There is a lot still in play here.
Do your "hear" that Pitt is working "hard enough"?

Should Pitt have already closed Louisville out on West? Does Mark Cline help?

Reactions: PittPoker
Well, for sure it falls on the staff. This is bizarre and something must be going on there. It’s pretty remarkable in today’s time that there is no Pitt reporter, fan, or a outlet that’s close enough to the program to hear the scoop, or player babbling on social media.

the good news is our team pretty much sucked with these guys and odds are slim we would have gotten we’re we need to be with them.

Reactions: HOF Coach
After reading this article, I don't think Coulibaly or "his people" see him as a 3 or a 4.

They see him as someone who can score. They further see, that he will never be given much of an opportunity to do that if he stayed at Pitt. Seems accurate.

Karim Coulibaly Looking For Different Offensive Opportunity | Pittsburgh Sports Now

"The 6-foot-8 native of Mali believes that he’s viewed by the coaching staff strictly as a rebounder"

If the staff viewed him as a rebounder, they need to be shown the door immediately. Dude had 0 rebounds against Miami.

It was fun watching Coulibaly in that FIBA run with Mali a couple years ago, but we were always playing 4 on 5 on offense with him out there - if he thinks he's a scorer, he's in for a rude awakening.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

If AKC ends up being any kind of offensive force at this level I’ll eat my hat.

I’m sure you have all the stats handy but don’t post them to try and convince me. I think he’s stiff in the hips and no matter what numbers you post I don’t see it. If he transfers down he might be a little more effective but if he somehow stays at the P5 level he’ll be a backup. Unless their bigs suck or are missing like Pitt’s were.

Do your "hear" that Pitt is working "hard enough"?

Working hard and working "smart" don't go hand in hand.

The staff is working hard. But I think they need to close on some players here and reestablish some momentum. They need to choose who they want wisely and go after them all in and not half in, if that makes sense. Recruiting players and staying in contact with them and telling them they are "monitoring them" is the type of stuff Duke gets away with , not a program in the position we are in. They need to have a wide net of targets, but have a close group of players to target "harder" and try to close them, now. They did that with Odukale. they scouted and he went to the top of the big board, immediately. They did not do that with Julian Champagnie and Posh Alexander.

As I said, the talent is there for the taking to turn this around. We just have to get it.

Reactions: DnTanna07 and gary2
"The 6-foot-8 native of Mali believes that he’s viewed by the coaching staff strictly as a rebounder"

If the staff viewed him as a rebounder, they need to be shown the door immediately. Dude had 0 rebounds against Miami.

It was fun watching Coulibaly in that FIBA run with Mali a couple years ago, but we were always playing 4 on 5 on offense with him out there - if he thinks he's a scorer, he's in for a rude awakening.

Yea, I thought OMG when I heard that. He's a terrible rebounder.

If AKC ends up being any kind of offensive force at this level I’ll eat my hat.

I’m sure you have all the stats handy but don’t post them to try and convince me. I think he’s stiff in the hips and no matter what numbers you post I don’t see it. If he transfers down he might be a little more effective but if he somehow stays at the P5 level he’ll be a backup. Unless their bigs suck or are missing like Pitt’s were.

No one said he would be a force. I did say he has the ability to become a 10 and 6 player including in the p6. I will double down on that again and leave it at that.

Working hard and working "smart" don't go hand in hand.

The staff is working hard. But I think they need to close on some players here and reestablish some momentum. They need to choose who they want wisely and go after them all in and not half in, if that makes sense. Recruiting players and staying in contact with them and telling them they are "monitoring them" is the type of stuff Duke gets away with , not a program in the position we are in. They need to have a wide net of targets, but have a close group of players to target "harder" and try to close them, now. They did that with Odukale. they scouted and he went to the top of the big board, immediately. They did not do that with Julian Champagnie and Posh Alexander.

As I said, the talent is there for the taking to turn this around. We just have to get it.
Thanks for the reply - I agree

Any thoughts on if Cline could be helpful?

I just watched the Teen Wolf ending basketball scene where Michael J Fox played as himself, not as the Wolf, and he rallied the team for a victory. So I'm feeling a bit better now. I think.

I doubt he’ll even be at a P6 school so we may never know.

He should go midmajor to be used the way he wants to be used. The Bonnies and Mike Schmidt already reached out. He could make the NCAA Tournament going to a place like that and be a starter doing it.

To Gary, Cline is a good coach. But New York needs to be a major priority imo. There are a number of coaches out of New York that would land us significant talent almost instantly. That has been my top target all along, New York.

He should go midmajor to be used the way he wants to be used. The Bonnies and Mike Schmidt already reached out. He could make the NCAA Tournament going to a place like that and be a starter doing it.

To Gary, Cline is a good coach. But New York needs to be a major priority imo. There are a number of coaches out of New York that would land us significant talent almost instantly. That has been my top target all along, New York.
Talking specifically of Cline helping with West.

Cline returned to the "Mountain State" in 2011 after spending the previous four seasons on the staff at Oklahoma. Jeff Capel's first hire upon arriving at OU,

Cline was as an assistant coach for Virginia Commonwealth under Capel and helped VCU compile a 61-31 record from 2003-2006 which included a trip to the 2004 NCAA Tournament. Cline's relationship with the Capel family dates back to his days as an assistant coach at Fayetteville State where he served under Capel's father, Jeff Capel Jr., from 1989-93.

Mark Cline - Men's Basketball Coach - Marshall University Athletics (herdzone.com)

Can Cline steer West to Pitt?

Cline returned to the "Mountain State" in 2011 after spending the previous four seasons on the staff at Oklahoma. Jeff Capel's first hire upon arriving at OU,

Cline was as an assistant coach for Virginia Commonwealth under Capel and helped VCU compile a 61-31 record from 2003-2006 which included a trip to the 2004 NCAA Tournament. Cline's relationship with the Capel family dates back to his days as an assistant coach at Fayetteville State where he served under Capel's father, Jeff Capel Jr., from 1989-93.

Mark Cline - Men's Basketball Coach - Marshall University Athletics (herdzone.com)

Pitt and Louisville are both recruiting West and looking at his younger brother. They are solid, decent players. Good additions.

But Ill take NY talent over both of them, with no disrespect to either.

I also want Tyson Commander among others, the 0 star from Maryland.

Pitt and Louisville are both recruiting West and looking at his younger brother. They are solid, decent players. Good additions.

But Ill take NY talent over both of them, with no disrespect to either.

I also want Tyson Commander among others, the 0 star from Maryland.
How do we stand with Davion Warren of Hampton?

Can Cline steer West to Pitt?
If we can't close on West, how do we close on anyone?

Reactions: PittPoker
Some of you need to quit sniveling... As tonight there are 132 schools that have lost at least 3 players to the transfer portal since the season ended and the meter is still running. Here are some of the numbers from other schools:

George Washington (8)
Penn State (8)
George Mason (7)
Indiana State (7)
South Florida (7)
Valparaiso (7)
Cincinnati (6)
Wake Forest (6)
Indiana (5)
Nebraska (5)
Ole Miss (5)
Pittsburgh (5)
St. Bonaventure (5)
Auburn (4)
Boston College (4)
Georgia (4)
Hawaii (4)
Kansas State (4)
Murray State (4)
St. John's (4)
Texas (4)
Texas A&M (4)
Utah (4)
Vanderbilt (4)
Xavier (4)
Iowa State (3)
Minnesota (3)
TCU (3)
UNLV (3)
Washington State (3)

After the third transfer, there were posters who said that Capel should be fired. Should all of the above coaches be fired too? Maybe we can land one of these coaches when we give Capel the boot? Right?

Here's a complete list:

Shad up!

Some of you need to quit sniveling... As tonight there are 132 schools that have lost at least 3 players to the transfer portal since the season ended and the meter is still running. Here are some of the numbers from other schools:

George Washington (8)
Penn State (8)
George Mason (7)
Indiana State (7)
South Florida (7)
Valparaiso (7)
Cincinnati (6)
Wake Forest (6)
Indiana (5)
Nebraska (5)
Ole Miss (5)
Pittsburgh (5)
St. Bonaventure (5)
Auburn (4)
Boston College (4)
Georgia (4)
Hawaii (4)
Kansas State (4)
Murray State (4)
St. John's (4)
Texas (4)
Texas A&M (4)
Utah (4)
Vanderbilt (4)
Xavier (4)
Iowa State (3)
Minnesota (3)
TCU (3)
UNLV (3)
Washington State (3)

After the third transfer, there were posters who said that Capel should be fired. Should all of the above coaches be fired too? Maybe we can land one of these coaches when we give Capel the boot? Right?

Here's a complete list:

Shad up!

Or another way look at it:

Capel has had more players transfer than all but 2-3 HC's who have been at their school more than a year. Players transferring before the new coach gets there or after the new coach's 1st season is very common

One of the reasons Champ was such a good rebounder is that our center position couldn’t rebound. I’ve said he isn’t that good from the time he committed and I haven’t changed. Need to line up better.

Reactions: singregardless

George Washington (8)
Penn State (8)
George Mason (7)
Indiana State (7)
South Florida (7)
Valparaiso (7)
Cincinnati (6)
Wake Forest (6)
Indiana (5)
Nebraska (5)
Ole Miss (5)
Pittsburgh (5)
St. Bonaventure (5)
Auburn (4)
Boston College (4)
Georgia (4)
Hawaii (4)
Kansas State (4)
Murray State (4)
St. John's (4)
Texas (4)
Texas A&M (4)
Utah (4)
Vanderbilt (4)
Xavier (4)
Iowa State (3)
Minnesota (3)
TCU (3)
UNLV (3)
Washington State (3)

Here's a complete list:

Shad up!
Devil's in the details. How many of those are coaching changes? How many have lost 3 who were starters on their roster?

As far as AKC is concerned, I feel like some of these kids have bloated self-images. He has obvious potential to be a good contributor. But the attitude shows that today's players would never have survived in our program under H/D where they waited their turn and started as upper classmen. None of this bodes well for our program today, which is likely going to need continuity to succeed. We're not going to consistently get the kind of talent that will vault us to the upper crust of the ACC. We need juniors and seniors who have been here, bought in, who improve, and know how to execute our system. That's just not going to happen with a non-stop revolving door every year.

One of the reasons Champ was such a good rebounder is that our center position couldn’t rebound. I’ve said he isn’t that good from the time he committed and I haven’t changed. Need to line up better.

Bingo. I have said this also. It was somewhat embarrassing that Champagnie averaged so many rebounds. His numbers were bloated because Coulibaly and Brown were no competition for him on the glass

Reactions: Millerton24
If we can't close on West, how do we close on anyone?

Tons of talent at the guard and wing on the current team and with new potential additions. I am very confident between now and 2022 for what we will get and have at the 1 through 3. I think Odukale is going to be an absolute stud.

I think we are at ok shape and have potential with some 4's, but there is already slippage with some of our higher end targeted 4's which isn't good, but it is very early. I am concerned about the 5. Jeff Capel has been here 3 years and Brown was still in the rotation after year 3. The desperation we have at the 5 is beyond pathetic. And most 5's take a few years to develop and we have nothing at Center right now. If Efton Reid committed today we still would have to worry about the g-league. And recruiting 5's is hard. We aren't going anywhere without at least an average center with a backup. To get to where we are at the 5 position after year 3 is mind numbing.

Reactions: DnTanna07
I cant believe anyone would post he was a good rebounder or defender. He was just about as bad as you could be at both

He was OK as a defender if/when all he had to do was guard a guy in the post. When he got out in space he didn't have the lateral quickness to stay with guys and he didn't understand positioning well enough to not get lost. Anytime we played a five who could drag him out to the three point line he was completely lost.

And yet he thinks he should be playing the four. Or, god forbid, the three. Imagine him trying to guard an athletic wing all the way from the basket out to 25 feet. They'd eat him alive.

George Washington (8) - 5-12
Penn State (8) - Coaching change
George Mason (7) - Coaching change
Indiana State (7) - Coaching change
South Florida (7) 4-10 in conference
Valparaiso (7) 10-18
Cincinnati (6)
Wake Forest (6) 6-16
Indiana (5) - Coaching change
Nebraska (5) 7-20
Ole Miss (5)
Pittsburgh (5)
St. Bonaventure (5)
Auburn (4)
Boston College (4) - Coaching change
Georgia (4)
Hawaii (4)
Kansas State (4) 9-20
Murray State (4)
St. John's (4)
Texas (4)
Texas A&M (4) 2-8 in conference
Utah (4) - Coaching change
Vanderbilt (4) 9-16
Xavier (4)
Iowa State (3) - Coaching change
Minnesota (3) - Coaching change
TCU (3) 5-11 in conference
UNLV (3) - Coaching change
Washington State (3)

Here's a complete list:

Shad up!
See explanation above

He was OK as a defender if/when all he had to do was guard a guy in the post. When he got out in space he didn't have the lateral quickness to stay with guys and he didn't understand positioning well enough to not get lost. Anytime we played a five who could drag him out to the three point line he was completely lost.

And yet he thinks he should be playing the four. Or, god forbid, the three. Imagine him trying to guard an athletic wing all the way from the basket out to 25 feet. They'd eat him alive.
Everyone is allowed to believe what they want and at a lower level of ball he can have an offensive presence that he was never going to get at Pitt .

If you go to a university to study under a certain professor and find out that your not getting what you wanted you leave , these kids are no different .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT