ADVERTISEMENT

Coulibaly in transfer portal now

Devil's in the details. How many of those are coaching changes? How many have lost 3 who were starters on their roster?

As far as AKC is concerned, I feel like some of these kids have bloated self-images. He has obvious potential to be a good contributor. But the attitude shows that today's players would never have survived in our program under H/D where they waited their turn and started as upper classmen. None of this bodes well for our program today, which is likely going to need continuity to succeed. We're not going to consistently get the kind of talent that will vault us to the upper crust of the ACC. We need juniors and seniors who have been here, bought in, who improve, and know how to execute our system. That's just not going to happen with a non-stop revolving door every year.

I don’t disagree. But the hand wringing is over the top. Should Capel take some responsibility? Absolutely. Is it a concern? Yes.

However how many of these kids would be transferring if that had to sit out a year? It’s become a free for all. Some of this I put on the kids. When the going gets tough? Transfer.... If my feelings get hurt ... Transfer...When I need more love because my ego got bruised, I’ll transfer and have coaches tell me how great I am again... Believe me there’s a lot of that going on too...

It doesn’t seem like it, considering how many players we appear to be actively recruiting.

Actively recruiting? Yeah, Capel is or has talked to a bunch of players, none of whom he has a shot at or can be said are being actively recruited by Pitt.

There are 2 facets of Capel's job where he gets an F.....recruiting and coaching. Other than that, he is doing just fine. Maybe.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I don’t disagree. But the hand wringing is over the top. Should Capel take some responsibility? Absolutely. Is it a concern? Yes.

However how many of these kids would be transferring if that had to sit out a year? It’s become a free for all. Some of this I put on the kids. When the going gets tough? Transfer.... If my feelings get hurt ... Transfer...When I need more love because my ego got bruised, I’ll transfer and have coaches tell me how great I am again... Believe me there’s a lot of that going on too...

I agree with the sitting out if you transfer. But I think it should be sitting out 2 years and you have to pay back your scholarship for the years you were at the school you originally attended. These kids are going to these colleges to play a sport, nothing else. I doubt the vast majority of them could ever get into college if they had to like real students. If they can't cut it or their fragile egos and feelings are hurt, they need to deal with it and pay for the time they wasted.

This transfer portal nonsense is giving these kids a reason to build up their fragile egos. But in the final analysis, this is Capel's team and is his responsibility. The results are on him totally.

I mean, this just isn’t true. I don’t know what to tell you.
The only players I know we have ”more” than initial contact with were Daye, Parham and West. All guards.

If we are doing a lot more, it is not being reported by the people who report on these things.

Maybe our assistant coaches are busy exploring other opportunities?

Reactions: WannyandWalt
The only players I know we have ”more” than initial contact with were Daye, Parham and West. All guards.

If we are doing a lot more, it is not being reported by the people who report on these things.

Exactly, Gary. What are our realistic chances of getting any of these kids? I hope it doesn't happen that when the recruiting cycle is over for this year, we don't have one player that we were successful in recruiting. And I hope we have enough players next year to put a real Div.1 team on the floor.

Exactly, Gary. What are our realistic chances of getting any of these kids? I hope it doesn't happen that when the recruiting cycle is over for this year, we don't have one player that we were successful in recruiting. And I hope we have enough players next year to put a real Div.1 team on the floor.
The list of players is going to be 1,000 soon and that number is going to increase. It’s almost as though you believe we are the only team dealing with this issue.

The list of players is going to be 1,000 soon and that number is going to increase. It’s almost as though you believe we are the only team dealing with this issue.

I know we're not. But as I said before, I don't care about the other teams. I care about this Pitt hoops program. And right now, it's not in a good place and it's getting worse with no end in sight.

I have a better question. Which teams are NOT dealing with this problem and have no players or maybe 1 in the transfer portal?

After reading this article, I don't think Coulibaly or "his people" see him as a 3 or a 4.

They see him as someone who can score. They further see, that he will never be given much of an opportunity to do that if he stayed at Pitt. Seems accurate.

Karim Coulibaly Looking For Different Offensive Opportunity | Pittsburgh Sports Now

Then I assume he understands he'll need to drop down because its not going to happen at a P6 program. Unless Vader coaches a P6 program.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Then I assume he understands he'll need to drop down because its not going to happen at a P6 program. Unless Vader coaches a P6 program.
I think he is capable of scoring at this level. We might have seen that had we not had three other players fighting for theirs.

Reactions: DnTanna07

Yes, nearly every team is dealing with this. But what has Capel done in the last 3 years to inspire any confidence for us that he's going to come out of this with a better team?

I think he is capable of scoring at this level. We might have seen that had we not had three other players fighting for theirs.

I like AKC as role player, but nobody at this level is going to give him the opportunity he wants. We'll see where he ends up I guess.

I agree with the sitting out if you transfer. But I think it should be sitting out 2 years and you have to pay back your scholarship for the years you were at the school you originally attended. These kids are going to these colleges to play a sport, nothing else. I doubt the vast majority of them could ever get into college if they had to like real students. If they can't cut it or their fragile egos and feelings are hurt, they need to deal with it and pay for the time they wasted.

This transfer portal nonsense is giving these kids a reason to build up their fragile egos. But in the final analysis, this is Capel's team and is his responsibility. The results are on him totally.
What is it that you don’t get ?

Let’s take poor Pitt for example ,

First off they get in excess of 32 million dollars from the ACC

In normal times they also receive ticket , parking , concession and merchandise revenue .

They also get local radio rights and shoe money .

Plus there’s the forced donations to buy your seats and I’m sure there’s a lot of folks out there who donate far beyond that level and some who don’t even bother to attend games that contribute to Pitt athletics .

They pay their mediocre head Fb and struggling Bb coaches around 3 million apiece and you want a kid whose being compensated with an education , which a majority care very little about to repay the university if they’ve been misled , over recruited , don’t fit in or just unhappy at Pitt ? (Let’s not even get into what these schools charge students for an education .)

The only reason Pitt receives any of this revenue is because people are willing to pay to see them play , they’re the show and if you were lucky enough to coach them you make millions of dollars a yr . Everyone involved from the university to every employee of the athletic department lives off the work of these kids and they get paid with being able to English Lit 80 !

Yeah , it’s a great idea to penalize these kids if they make a mistake in choosing where to go to play ball , I would never think any coach would blow smoke up their ass to get them on campus !

That was always the plan, he wasn't supposed to be a center. He was also misused badly in the offense and was way underused as a player with his efficiency metrics. He also thought about transferring last year.

There is way too much putting the cart in front of the horse on both sides of the coin here.

On one side, you will have 1000+ transfers available, a loaded 2022 class available, and Rodney Gallagher right there in the wings who is going to be a complete stud that is still a Pitt lean, a 5 star potential talent.

On the other side, We just finished year 3. We finished the year with a walkon point guard playing in the rotation, a 17 year old starter who wasn't close to being ready to start, and Terrell Brown who we failed to upgrade over the past 3 years off the bench who finally left. Our frontcourt is a mess. Our backcourt looks potentially really good imo.

I can say with a 1000% straight face that we are right near the top for some terrific players. I can also say none of them have signed an loi with Pitt and none of them have committed to Pitt. And that includes Jarrod West who many think Pitt leads for. That simply is not the case as I think Louisville could actually be the favorite for him right now. They are all over him.

I would do what it takes to get Blakes to kick this class off. There is a lot still in play here.
Lol he was used wrong.
Or he wasn't used enough.
He was mostly used how he dictated by his foul situation in so many games.
How should have the used him?
Truly he's just lucky we because we failed at getting other centers or else he would've been used less.

On the outside you’d think that AKC would be pretty happy at Pitt . He was starting and currently there’s no one on the roster ( literally! ) that can put him on the bench . There’s no other ACC team where he starts . So it must be something else . Maybe he sees himself as a 4 and doesn’t want to battle bigger better players . Maybe he feels like he’s an outsider and not one of the guys and wants to go play somewhere he knows someone . Maybe he’s tired of losing . Maybe he just doesn't like being at Pitt and of course maybe he doesn’t like his coach .

But the real question is WTF is going on down there ? JC seems like the kind of guy who you’d want your kid to play for , but somethings not right down there . Pitt and JC really need to come out and explain what they feel is happening . It looks like it’s a toxic environment.
Losing makes everyone feel bad, dejected & unappreciated! I get that and that is the way it should be in competition. Now, the question everyone is trying to figure out is:

How is Coach Capel dealing with it with his team? It is easy to be a leader when things are going well but it takes a different set of abilities to deal with losing! I suspect Coach is not addressing the losing in a way that the team feels the sense of a team and wants to play harder and stick it out together to overcome adversity!

Lol he was used wrong.
Truly he's just lucky we because we failed at getting other centers or else he would've been used less.
Exactly. Coulibaly was used wrong. Toney was used wrong. McGowens should have been a PG. blah blah.

And you’re spot in about PT. If we had a good or even decent/competent big Coulibaly wouldn’t have even played as much as he did.

Lol he was used wrong.

Our starting Center averaged 1 assist per game in 22 minutes of playing time with a usage rate of 12. Our team offense finished the year at 71st in the country. We ran nothing into AKC all year and refused to get him the ball more. Ill take it 1 step further.

We had a 1st Team all ACC player with Champ get 6 shot attempts against Georgia Tech, 8 shot attempts against VT, 9 shot attempts against UNC, that type of stuff should never happen with a stud like Champ on the roster.

The whole entire offense was wildly inconsistent all year long because of 1 single player and only 1 single player... The point guard, Xavier Johnson. Time to move on

Our starting Center averaged 1 assist per game in 22 minutes of playing time with a usage rate of 12. Our team offense finished the year at 71st in the country. We ran nothing into AKC all year and refused to get him the ball more. Ill take it 1 step further.

We had a 1st Team all ACC player with Champ get 6 shot attempts against Georgia Tech, 8 shot attempts against VT, 9 shot attempts against UNC, that type of stuff should never happen with a stud like Champ on the roster.

The whole entire offense was wildly inconsistent all year long because of 1 single player and only 1 single player... The point guard, Xavier Johnson. Time to move on
I'll agree with you on XJ.
And I actually like Karim.
He's a good role player on a team.
But he couldn't do anything against certain players on teams.
Also he wants to play Champs position, so we at least played him in the position he should be playing for our team, which was Center.
And if we had a real Center, he would have played less.
And if he didn't foul, he would've played more.
And he would have never played PF like he wants to play.
And yes it's time to move on.

Some of you need to quit sniveling... As tonight there are 132 schools that have lost at least 3 players to the transfer portal since the season ended and the meter is still running. Here are some of the numbers from other schools:

George Washington (8)
Penn State (8)
George Mason (7)
Indiana State (7)
South Florida (7)
Valparaiso (7)
Cincinnati (6)
Wake Forest (6)
Indiana (5)
Nebraska (5)
Ole Miss (5)
Pittsburgh (5)
St. Bonaventure (5)
Auburn (4)
Boston College (4)
Georgia (4)
Hawaii (4)
Kansas State (4)
Murray State (4)
St. John's (4)
Texas (4)
Texas A&M (4)
Utah (4)
Vanderbilt (4)
Xavier (4)
Iowa State (3)
Minnesota (3)
TCU (3)
UNLV (3)
Washington State (3)

After the third transfer, there were posters who said that Capel should be fired. Should all of the above coaches be fired too? Maybe we can land one of these coaches when we give Capel the boot? Right?

Here's a complete list:

Shad up!
the "it happens everywhere argument" is not an argument. its a method of acceptance to what is going on in our program. "nothing to see here" is how we end up winless of the acc. tell me why pitts players are tranferring instead of "they just are".

does every team on that list have an incoming class of zero?

When was the last time we saw a Pitt team focus on getting inside scoring?

Maybe when we hadMike Young, but he resisted playing there

Last edited:
When was the last time we saw a Pitt team focus on getting inside scoring?
They were starting to do that last season as Hugley was getting more comfortable. The Miami game in particular, they seemed to have a real focus on getting Hugley the ball inside. Then, of course, all the other stuff happened.

Maybe our assistant coaches are busy exploring other opportunities?

West is going to make his decision very soon. Its going to be Pitt or Louisville.

Blakes likely also makes his decision very soon. Pitt has a very good chance here. Academics and Location "could" be a factor. Yale is the sleeper.

Coulibaly is a loss in the sense that he was a fine rotational option and could play bigger minutes if needed. It’s not his loss that is the issue but the larger picture.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but to point to the state of CBB transfers and assume that this is just part of the trend is whistling past the graveyard. This is a major problem.

If you want to say the guys who left weren’t good enough or were part of the problem, there’s certainly validity to that but even amongst the transfer epidemic the best programs maintain a culture of continuity. I have yet to see any semblance of a plan outside of hoping that we can duct tape the holes with transfers every year, which I think is a poor way of doing business. This isn’t fantasy football where you accumulate the best players on paper and call it a day. Culture, comfort, continuity...these things matter and if you’re turning over large pieces of your roster every year, the chances of success are pretty slim unless you’re a guy like Musselman.

We can argue over the guys who left and their impact, but to call this anything but an embarrassment is really looking through some rose-colored glasses.

While we are on the crazy topic of transfers...

CJ Wilcher is in the portal, a guy we targeted hard from Roselle Catholic, same school as Ithiel Horton. Deadly 3 point shooter.

Qudus Wahab is also in the portal. We barely lost the first time around to Georgetown.

CJ Wilcher is in the portal, a guy we targeted hard from Roselle Catholic, same school as Ithiel Horton. Deadly 3 point shooter.

Qudus Wahab is also in the portal. We barely lost the first time around to Georgetown.

Ewing not being able to hold onto talent is baffling. McClung, Akinjo, and Wahab as a core would’ve been a heck of a squad this past year but now all 3 are gone.

I'll agree with you on XJ.
And I actually like Karim.
He's a good role player on a team.
But he couldn't do anything against certain players on teams.
Also he wants to play Champs position, so we at least played him in the position he should be playing for our team, which was Center.
And if we had a real Center, he would have played less.
And if he didn't foul, he would've played more.
And he would have never played PF like he wants to play.
And yes it's time to move on.

It doesn't matter how many time you lay it out, he ain't gonna listen. It was all XJ's fault, even though AKC had more shots per game when XJ was here than without him. His lack of playing time was Capel's fault, not AKC's inability to stay out of foul trouble.

Reactions: Drew1208
West is going to make his decision very soon. Its going to be Pitt or Louisville.

Blakes likely also makes his decision very soon. Pitt has a very good chance here. Academics and Location "could" be a factor. Yale is the sleeper.
Thanks for the info

Ewing not being able to hold onto talent is baffling. McClung, Akinjo, and Wahab as a core would’ve been a heck of a squad this past year but now all 3 are gone.
I know that none of those three were involved, but there were also a couple guys who ended up leaving after the sex assault allegations. Bunch of turnover there, but they pulled out a nice year.

I noticed Wilcher

Did not hear about Wahab. Now that would be an important get.

It doesn't matter how many time you lay it out, he ain't gonna listen. It was all XJ's fault, even though AKC had more shots per game when XJ was here than without him. His lack of playing time was Capel's fault, not AKC's inability to stay out of foul trouble.

Playing time and usage rate do NOT go hand in hand. I dont know how many times I have to explain this to you. Gerald Drumgoole had the 3rd highest usage rate on the entire team coming off the bench. They do not go hand in hand.

Playing time and usage rate do NOT go hand in hand. I dont know how many times I have to explain this to you. Gerald Drumgoole had the 3rd highest usage rate on the entire team coming off the bench. They do not go hand in hand.

I don't care about usage rate. Drumgoole would start jacking bricks as soon as he stepped on the court. That's why he sat on the bench, and because he was about as athletic as me.

Coulibaly is a loss in the sense that he was a fine rotational option and could play bigger minutes if needed. It’s not his loss that is the issue but the larger picture.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but to point to the state of CBB transfers and assume that this is just part of the trend is whistling past the graveyard. This is a major problem.

If you want to say the guys who left weren’t good enough or were part of the problem, there’s certainly validity to that but even amongst the transfer epidemic the best programs maintain a culture of continuity. I have yet to see any semblance of a plan outside of hoping that we can duct tape the holes with transfers every year, which I think is a poor way of doing business. This isn’t fantasy football where you accumulate the best players on paper and call it a day. Culture, comfort, continuity...these things matter and if you’re turning over large pieces of your roster every year, the chances of success are pretty slim unless you’re a guy like Musselman.

We can argue over the guys who left and their impact, but to call this anything but an embarrassment is really looking through some rose-colored glasses.
Even going back to JD Pitt has tried unsuccessfully to plug the holes in the roster with transfers , as least now there’s so many more options . ( maybe they can get lucky )

I don't care about usage rate. Drumgoole would start jacking bricks as soon as he stepped on the court. That's why he sat on the bench, and because he was about as athletic as me.

Perhaps you should care. Because when Johnson's usage rate was really high, his turnover numbers generally were through the roof. And that wasn't a 1 year trend. That was a 3 year trend. And, we lost.

Poor leadership and sporadic play at the point guard position was a big reason for this teams problems. I won't even get started on Johnson being a technical foul machine.

I noticed Wilcher

Did not hear about Wahab. Now that would be an important get.
How could anyone even dream about Wahab! He’s gonna pick any of 350 schools this time around. Can go literally anywhere. UVA, Duke or some other program guaranteed to go to NCAA next year will land him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT