ADVERTISEMENT

"Favorite" Pitt Loss

Oct 25, 2021
So, basically, I'm talking about a game that Pitt lost but, for one reason or another, you walked away feeling satisfied.

I think I would go with Notre Dame 2018. We had already played Penn State and UCF, and we weren't competitive in those games. But we showed a ton of heart in South Bend, and it was a sign of good things to come for the rest of the season (Coastal Championship).

Some other more recent contenders were ND 2012 (I can't give that the nod, because we really had that game won multiple times so it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth) and Penn State 2019 (gutsy performance, but I still can't get kicking a field goal - at least trying to - out of my mind). That '99 game at Penn State (didn't Lavar Arrington block a FG attempt at the end?) has to be on the list of mentions, as well. And then I seem to recall a game where we went toe to toe with a good Miami team but barely overthrew an open Yogi Roth in the end zone at the end. Might have been a similar close game with VT in the late 90's, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: W1np1tt
The military bowl. Signing the big sign for James Conner during his cancer battle reminded us that there are more important things in life than who wins or loses a game.

The 2018 ND game is also a good choice. Had a blast at that game.

I would also say PSU in 97 and 99 could fit that category. The 97 game was not as close as the score indicated, but as a then pitt student, most of the psu fans around me and my friends were nice and glad to see the game return.

99 was more difficult because psu was the better team, but we had a chance (small one) to kick the FG at the end. Arrington was a beast...

Haha. If we're including basketball, I'd have to say that 2001 Big East Championship loss to BC. Helluva run, and a prelude for good things to come.

I was at MSG for that run. Hard to think of a better week to be a Pitt fan with all of those unexpected wins. Coming out party for that team, for sure. And lots of great Page dunks.

The bowl game against Houston where we collapsed at the end. No, it wasn't pretty but I was excited knowing a new regime was taking over.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
The 1999 game at PSU stands out to me. We were big underdogs. They were ranked (I think) about 3rd
after routing Arizona the week before. Many PSU fans looked on us as sacrificial lambs for that game.
Anyhow, the defense played lights out, basically selling out to stop the run and daring Paterno to throw.
They hit one long pass with a few minutes to go to set up a field goal to go up by 3. We returned the
ensuing kickoff to mid-field and got to their 25 before we took a sack to the 35, forcing a 52yd attempt
to force OT. Trying for distance, the attempt was low, resulting in what PSU fans later referred to as
the "Lavar Leap" to block it.

After the game, the Pitt section gave the team a strong ovation. Some of the players came over raising
their helmets. I was told you could hear Walt Harris from outside the locker room screaming at the team
to "never be satisfied with losing".

In a TV interview after the game he made 3 points.

1. Coming close "ain't good enough"

2. Great effort by our players

3. What do we do with it?

Unfortunately, we failed to build on that strong effort and finished (I believe) 2-9-1 that year. To me, it
showed how in rivalry games records and perceptions of strength go out the window. Many on here
revolt at the idea of playing PSU again, but it was a rivalry as strong as any in the game.

94' opener against Texas. The team had shown some glimpses of respectability in 93' and seemed to have a ton of exciting youngsters. There was actually some optimism. We actually looked really good and Curtis Martin looked poised to become a superstar. We kinda Pitted the game away at the very end as I recall but we outplayed a good team. Of course, it all went bad after that......so very bad.

So, basically, I'm talking about a game that Pitt lost but, for one reason or another, you walked away feeling satisfied.

I think I would go with Notre Dame 2018. We had already played Penn State and UCF, and we weren't competitive in those games. But we showed a ton of heart in South Bend, and it was a sign of good things to come for the rest of the season (Coastal Championship).

Some other more recent contenders were ND 2012 (I can't give that the nod, because we really had that game won multiple times so it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth) and Penn State 2019 (gutsy performance, but I still can't get kicking a field goal - at least trying to - out of my mind). That '99 game at Penn State (didn't Lavar Arrington block a FG attempt at the end?) has to be on the list of mentions, as well. And then I seem to recall a game where we went toe to toe with a good Miami team but barely overthrew an open Yogi Roth in the end zone at the end. Might have been a similar close game with VT in the late 90's, too.
What was your favorite Penn State loss, troll?

Basketball.....losing to Uconn at the field house.....4 point lead, 9 seconds left and the ball.

The day Khalil Amin (?) Jumped on the scorers table.

Yes a crushing loss, but i decided that day I wanted Pitt hoops season tickets, and i am so glad i did.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Pitt vs. Southern Cal 1974 at Pitt stadium. Pitt played one hell of a game against #18 USC team. Lead by Pat Hayden at QB. Score SC 16 Pitt 7. I was a student at Pitt then!!!! H2P

The games where you play well and narrowly miss upsetting a highly ranked opponent are the most bitter to swallow. Hard to classify any as a favorite.

The games where you play well and narrowly miss upsetting a highly ranked opponent are the most bitter to swallow. Hard to classify any as a favorite.

I think it's case-specific. That UCONN "inbounds" game mentioned above made me furious. The 2012 Notre Dame game made me furious (mostly at the officials). But I think some games, even if they result in a loss, make you proud of your team. I was prepared to chalk that Clemson 2016 game up as a valiant effort before that Brightwell interception... and then again before we stopped them twice in short-yardage situations. I think some of the ones people have mentioned above are great examples.

I think it's case-specific. That UCONN "inbounds" game mentioned above made me furious. The 2012 Notre Dame game made me furious (mostly at the officials). But I think some games, even if they result in a loss, make you proud of your team. I was prepared to chalk that Clemson 2016 game up as a valiant effort before that Brightwell interception... and then again before we stopped them twice in short-yardage situations. I think some of the ones people have mentioned above are great examples.
I was actually pretty happy with the triple OT loss to ND, considering that is one of the very few times that I believed an official was actually biased. But then I saw how upset everyone else was and I didn't feel so great about it.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
I can't think of a loss that I felt good about.

However, one thing I noticed about myself is that I get way more mad/pissed-off when watching a loss on TV as opposed to being at the game in person. I don't know why...maybe when I'm at the games I'm just enjoying the whole Pitt atmosphere so a loss doesn't sting as much. When I'm at home watching on TV....I swear sometimes I'm going to have an aneurysm. Maybe I should renew my season tix.

However, one thing I noticed about myself is that I get way more mad/pissed-off when watching a loss on TV as opposed to being at the game in person. I don't know why...maybe when I'm at the games I'm just enjoying the whole Pitt atmosphere so a loss doesn't sting as much. When I'm at home watching on TV....I swear sometimes I'm going to have an aneurysm. Maybe I should renew my season tix.
I am the same way. I think a lot of it for me is that when I am home, I am drinking a lot more...at games I am aware I have a 4 hr drive home so I tend not to go overboard at games.

I've put on some spectacles in person. I remember dropping to my knees when we missed that field goal against Duke in 2014 (I mean, it's freaking Pitt vs Duke). And I have let some choice words fly that have drawn some stares. I think it's because I went to a lot of Steeler games in my youth and developed my game day etiquette among a much more raucous crowd. Or just because I'm loco. Either way.

Wow, some people obviously expect to win every game. Yes, close losses hurt. I take solace when the
team is clearly inferior on paper, yet puts up a strong effort and has a chance to win in the 4th quarter.
Let me add this, NOBODY wants Pitt to win more than I do. But NO team wins every game. Just ask
Alabama.

I've put on some spectacles in person. I remember dropping to my knees when we missed that field goal against Duke in 2014 (I mean, it's freaking Pitt vs Duke). And I have let some choice words fly that have drawn some stares. I think it's because I went to a lot of Steeler games in my youth and developed my game day etiquette among a much more raucous crowd. Or just because I'm loco. Either way.
When the Pirates gagged and blew the final game in the 92 playoffs, it happened to be the night before our garbage pickup day, and I had to bring the cans outside, which I had procrastinated doing during the game. I was still so disgusted by the loss and the nature of it, that I hurled one of the cans across the lawn. Which of course spilled out and forced me to clean up in the dark.

Pitt losses are a bit different though. I fully expect a loss pretty much every game, even (sometimes especially) with the MAC opponents. It is extreme rarity for Pitt teams to dominate in games when they far outclass the opponent. It’s the Jerome Lane Rinky Dink Curse. For example I was the least surprised person in America when we blew that Western Michigan game. Flip side I was genuinely shocked at the big margin on victory over the other garbage non-con we played last year.

Last edited:
Me too. I remember when a call got overturned on replay against ND a few years ago. (Catch on the field
was overturned on replay). I was still screaming 5 minutes later, people telling me to sit down,etc. A guy
sitting in the same aisle asked my adult kids "You going to keep grandpa under control?"

Basketball.....losing to Uconn at the field house.....4 point lead, 9 seconds left and the ball.

The day Khalil Amin (?) Jumped on the scorers table.

Yes a crushing loss, but i decided that day I wanted Pitt hoops season tickets, and i am so glad i did.
I was there too. Threw a bottle of water at El Amin.

I can never forget how I felt after Pitt lost Steve Pederson to the unemployment line.

images

Reactions: ratking17
I’m in the all losses suck camp, but just for the sake of mentioning one not already mentioned, I guess Iowa in 2015 gave us some hope ringing in the Narduzzi era, and it was fun seeing both teams go on win streaks for a bit afterwards, being able to say we were 6-1 with our only loss to the #10 team in the nation on the road by a miraculous field goal.

Kind of had a feeling it would all come crashing down once Pitt had to play the tougher teams at the end though, which of course it did thanks to the 3-headed UNC/Notre Dame/Miami boogeyman.

I remember listening to that game on the radio called by Hillgrove and Mark May, it was an epic performance
I remembered after posting that this was Miami's homecoming game, we were the Sacrificial Lamb, which makes perfect sense. It was one of those games you were expecting Miami to blow the Panthers out, however,, it never happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT