ADVERTISEMENT

"Favorite" Pitt Loss

I have never enjoyed or even appreciated a Pitt loss, other than the occasional grudging acknowledgement in some games as heavy underdogs that at least we showed up and didn’t get totally crushed. That’s far from ‘enjoyment’ or ‘pride’ however.

However, one game where my buddies did ‘enjoy’ a Pitt loss was during one of later seasons in Wanny era, I forget the exact year, when we played Rutgers at home. I’m normally the most pessimistic Pitt fan (a good coping mechanism), but before that game, I was feeling my oats for whatever reason, and at the tailgate that morning I was boasting like a pro wrestler that Pitt was not only going to win that game, but blow Rutgers out. My buddies, knowledgeable Pitt fans that they are, were alarmed at the karma I was stirring up, and warned me to bottle that enthusiasm up. I didn’t listen and actually doubled down on it. I think I even predicted a shut out.

Well of course idiot Wanny had moronically not considered that Rutgers might actually pass in that game (that’s not even conjecture, he said exactly that to the media after the game!). So the pass defense was beyond awful, utterly unprepared, and Rutgers not only won but demolished us, something like 56-24 or so. I believe our current WR coach had the game of his life that day.

So despite losing this game, my buddies were happy to have that debacle to hold over me, and do so to this day. I’ve learned my lesson, and have reverted back to predicting nothing but losses in every game, even against fecal matter like Rutgers.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT