ADVERTISEMENT

FSU having Their way with LSU

Wait a second. Why didn't the play clock start on the ready for play whistle? The guy was tackled in bounds for a first down. The clock stops on the first down, and restarts on the refs whistle.

That and the fact that they didn't put two seconds on the clock is a real screw up.

That ends up not mattering anyway.

Wait a second. Why didn't the play clock start on the ready for play whistle? The guy was tackled in bounds for a first down. The clock stops on the first down, and restarts on the refs whistle.

That and the fact that they didn't put two seconds on the clock is a real screw up.

Florida State called a time out.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

Because FSU called a time out.

FSU called a time out after the review.

Brian Kelly coaching LSU is weird. This can't last more than two seasons.

It's too bad that just once that post game coach interview can't go...

"Coach, you did everything in your power to throw away what should have been an easy win at the end. How on earth did you guys make so many stupid decisions in such a short amount of game time and still manage to not blow this thing?"
I’m kind of stunned Kelly didn’t go for 2. Kicker had already had one blocked. All the momentum for LSU there. The announcer even set it up (great job by Tessitore) to where as he’s snapping the ball you’re like - hmmm, something might happen here.

Kelly threw his team under the bus at halftime. “They couldn’t have played worse. Well, maybe they can, this is my first game.”

Something pretty darn close to that.

I think that the ref said that the clock stopped on the first down, and by rule LSU gets to run one play - maybe because of the review?

Very little is more satisfying than Kelly losing. Seeing Kelly imprisoned for the death he absolutely caused would be, but sadly didn’t occur.

I’m kind of stunned Kelly didn’t go for 2. Kicker had already had one blocked. All the momentum for LSU there. The announcer even set it up (great job by Tessitore) to where as he’s snapping the ball you’re like - hmmm, something might happen here.
Was thinking the same. You had a QB that was almost unstoppable running the ball and a situation that was somewhat out of control, roll Daniels out and let him take it himself. Norvell looked so stunned after the TD he wouldn’t have known what the hell to do at that point.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
Was thinking the same. You had a QB that was almost unstoppable running the ball and a situation that was somewhat out of control, roll Daniels out and let him take it himself. Norvell looked so stunned after the TD he wouldn’t have known what the hell to do at that point.
Norvell calling a time out after that massively long replay isn’t going to be talked about - but that’s an all time crazy move - right?

What if a LSU guy flinches immediately, the game would have been over without the timeout. Maybe they don’t get the snap off somehow. At the very least, their rhythm is going to be off.

Instead, they can take their time. A false start wouldn’t have ended the game.

Why even challenge the play if you are just going to call timeout??

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Norvell calling a time out after that massively long replay isn’t going to be talked about - but that’s an all time crazy move - right?

What if a LSU guy flinches immediately, the game would have been over without the timeout. Maybe they don’t get the snap off somehow. At the very least, their rhythm is going to be off.

Instead, they can take their time. A false start wouldn’t have ended the game.

Why even challenge the play if you are just going to call timeout??

The other thing is that you tell your defensive line that as soon as the ref blows the whistle they can fire off the line, because either LSU snaps the ball immediately on the whistle or they don't get the play off.

The other thing is that you tell your defensive line that as soon as the ref blows the whistle they can fire off the line, because either LSU snaps the ball immediately on the whistle or they don't get the play off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they initially say he got out of bounds? So, with them having to review it anyway, I didn't think the timeout was quite as costly as it could have otherwise been, as I'm sure LSU would have been ready to snap the ball after that stoppage.

In general, though, they need to get rid of the clock stopping after a first down. Everybody knows the games are too long, and that's just too obvious of a fix.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they initially say he got out of bounds? So, with them having to review it anyway, I didn't think the timeout was quite as costly as it could have otherwise been, as I'm sure LSU would have been ready to snap the ball after that stoppage.

In general, though, they need to get rid of the clock stopping after a first down. Everybody knows the games are too long, and that's just too obvious of a fix.

They did say that. The difference would be that if FSU doesn't call time out every FSU defender on the field would know exactly when they were going to snap the ball, and that's an advantage. Maybe not a huge advantage, but an advantage. As evidenced by the fact that teams vary their snap counts from play to play.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
Perhaps dwelling on the bad call or timeout should be refocused on letting a team drive 98 yards on you to get to that point. Clean your own yard up first before pointing at the trash in your neighbors’.

They did say that. The difference would be that if FSU doesn't call time out every FSU defender on the field would know exactly when they were going to snap the ball, and that's an advantage. Maybe not a huge advantage, but an advantage. As evidenced by the fact that teams vary their snap counts from play to play.

Don't disagree there, though that would have been kind of shitty luck for LSU in that FSU probably wouldn't have enough time to communicate/realize that in the heat of the moment had the refs correctly marked him down in bounds to begin with.

I'm starting to wish they would adopt a pro-style replay system. It's just gotten too out of hand watching them review 7-yard plays with 35 minutes left in the game. It used to be you had to hold your cheer to make sure there were no flags thrown on the play. Now, the call on the field doesn't even matter because if it's close you can bet it'll be reviewed. Just too much. They can keep the booth reviews for targeting, since too much is at stake. But after that, just give each coach one challenge per half. And if they win it, give them another. Hell, give them a third if they win both. But at least make them exercise some discretion in what gets reviewed. It's just gotten silly.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT