ADVERTISEMENT

Ga Tech ACC Tournament Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Tonight I'm only offering the most positive comments. And I’ll start with congratulations to our Pitt Panthers for an ACC Tournament which all but assures them of an NCAA Tournament berth!

** It took me a few days to write post game after the BC loss in the ACC tourney last year. There was next to nothing positive in my comments that day. But one year later, we head to the ACC quarterfinals. Like I said … Congratulations!

** In Capel’s post game last year, he remarked he needed to get better players. Obviously, that’s exactly what he did. When you do that, you most deservedly win Coach of the Year.

** But as it turns out, the best of those better players was already on his roster.

** Jamarius was certainly at this best this day. I think I may have said some not so great things about Jamarius after the BC loss last year. Turns out I couldn’t have been more wrong.

** Let’s look at the man’s work from the eight and a half minute mark when the Panthers held just a one point lead, to when Blake’s three put the game out of reach at 85-77. In that time, JB's scoring or assists accounted for 20 of the Panthers' 25 points.

** All of the clichés – go to guy, putting a team on your back in crunch time and on and on – can certainly be applied to Jamarius.

** Although, I'm glad I can share that despite the nervous moments in this game, I was really never all that nervous. It was just before Burton’s fine stretch when I became convinced we’d win. Tech was at the line with a chance to go up one but missed both. Yet they still got the offensive rebound and kicked it out for a wide open three that missed. It always feels like when you are in trouble when threes like this go in. But this one didn’t, and then JB took care of business starting with the assist to Greg for a triple. A huge six point swing.

** Heaping all of the praise on Burton doesn’t do the rest of the team justice, of course, Everyone including Guillermo played important roles. This was indeed a team win.

** And although it was indeed a team win for a bunch of guys who indeed play as a unit, I must also admit that even though Coach Capel went and got some better players, it took me a long time to realize that they were indeed better ones.

** But the Colgate Kid, the Marquette Sub, the Journeyman Transfer, Skinny Twin G, and the Unknown JUCO combined for 64 points on the brightest ACC stage today. Last year on a similar ACC stage, the whole team combined for a paltry 46.

** Grumbling about defense is a typical refrain I’ll offer on days when the Panthers surrender 50 in a half. But not tonight. We are long past the point of dissecting this team’s weaknesses. At this point in the season all that’s left to do is appreciate wins.

** And appreciate this one I’m glad to say I did. And if we can get one tomorrow, I’ll appreciate that one even more. I like our chances tomorrow too. I’m not saying we will win it. But we can.

** The wins I’ll appreciate most as any that follow after Selection Sunday. For the first time in seven years, we will get the chance to do just that. Better players, better coaching, better team and a much, much better disposition for an entire program.

** Once more … CONGRATULATIONS!

It was nice to see Elliot go 4 for 4 from 3 today. We needed him, and this day he delivered. Duke is going to have a huge advantage inside on us tomorrow. We will need to be hot from 3, so I hope Elliot remains scorching hot.

** Tonight I'm only offering the most positive comments. And I’ll start with congratulations to our Pitt Panthers for an ACC Tournament which all but assures them of an NCAA Tournament berth!

** It took me a few days to write post game after the BC loss in the ACC tourney last year. There was next to nothing positive in my comments that day. But one year later, we head to the ACC quarterfinals. Like I said … Congratulations!

** In Capel’s post game last year, he remarked he needed to get better players. Obviously, that’s exactly what he did. When you do that, you most deservedly win Coach of the Year.

** But as it turns out, the best of those better players was already on his roster.

** Jamarius was certainly at this best this day. I think I may have said some not so great things about Jamarius after the BC loss last year. Turns out I couldn’t have been more wrong.

** Let’s look at the man’s work from the eight and a half minute mark when the Panthers held just a one point lead, to when Blake’s three put the game out of reach at 85-77. In that time, JB's scoring or assists accounted for 20 of the Panthers' 25 points.

** All of the clichés – go to guy, putting a team on your back in crunch time and on and on – can certainly be applied to Jamarius.

** Although, I'm glad I can share that despite the nervous moments in this game, I was really never all that nervous. It was just before Burton’s fine stretch when I became convinced we’d win. Tech was at the line with a chance to go up one but missed both. Yet they still got the offensive rebound and kicked it out for a wide open three that missed. It always feels like when you are in trouble when threes like this go in. But this one didn’t, and then JB took care of business starting with the assist to Greg for a triple. A huge six point swing.

** Heaping all of the praise on Burton doesn’t do the rest of the team justice, of course, Everyone including Guillermo played important roles. This was indeed a team win.

** And although it was indeed a team win for a bunch of guys who indeed play as a unit, I must also admit that even though Coach Capel went and got some better players, it took me a long time to realize that they were indeed better ones.

** But the Colgate Kid, the Marquette Sub, the Journeyman Transfer, Skinny Twin G, and the Unknown JUCO combined for 64 points on the brightest ACC stage today. Last year on a similar ACC stage, the whole team combined for a paltry 46.

** Grumbling about defense is a typical refrain I’ll offer on days when the Panthers surrender 50 in a half. But not tonight. We are long past the point of dissecting this team’s weaknesses. At this point in the season all that’s left to do is appreciate wins.

** And appreciate this one I’m glad to say I did. And if we can get one tomorrow, I’ll appreciate that one even more. I like our chances tomorrow too. I’m not saying we will win it. But we can.

** The wins I’ll appreciate most as any that follow after Selection Sunday. For the first time in seven years, we will get the chance to do just that. Better players, better coaching, better team and a much, much better disposition for an entire program.

I was really impressed by our maturity today. When you blow a 13 point halftime lead with foolish and senseless turnovers it is easy to fold your tent and go home. Not these guys. They righted the ship and took the game away from Tech. And something I don’t think has been mentioned. For about the 6th or 7th straight win, Hinson sunk the late 3 that moved the lead to the 9 or 10 range that allowed Pitt to coast to the finish.

I was really impressed by our maturity today. When you blow a 13 point halftime lead with foolish and senseless turnovers it is easy to fold your tent and go home. Not these guys. They righted the ship and took the game away from Tech. And something I don’t think has been mentioned. For about the 6th or 7th straight win, Hinson sunk the late 3 that moved the lead to the 9 or 10 range that allowed Pitt to coast to the finish.

Didn't you just KNOW that Hinson's three with at the end was going down. It always always does!!

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

I said in the game thread, in the second half Pitt made 15 baskets. Burton scored five of them and assisted on six of them.

• Love
Reactions: jctrack
It was nice to see Elliot go 4 for 4 from 3 today. We needed him, and this day he delivered. Duke is going to have a huge advantage inside on us tomorrow. We will need to be hot from 3, so I hope Elliot remains scorching hot.
Definitely nice to see Elliot go 4 for 4. It was obvious our plan was to get the ball into Fede and had 7-7 success with that but I was beside myself at the start of the 2nd half when we had those 3 turnovers in a row trying to pass it into Fede. On all 3 of those it looked like Elliott was wide open on the right wing at the 3-pt line. Thought it was the perfect opportunity to try to get him going early in the 2nd. Elliott also seemed to be pretty upset not getting the ball and instead watching 3 careless turnovers.

But all’s good, we touched it out and got the W.

Reactions: Pittisit4me

UNC -- Hinson three with 1:28 to go to give Panthers a 3 point lead.
Virginia -- 4:50 to go gives 3 point lead
Wake Forest -- 3:44 to go gives 5 point lead
Miami -- 1:35 to go cuts lead to three
Florida State -- 2:35 pushes Panther lead to 9
Ga Tech - 1:42 pushes lead to 8
Miami -- 0:17 cuts Miami lead to 2
Ga Tech -- 0:42 -- Ices the game

Reactions: FireballZ
He’s done it so often I thought for sure the last one against Miami was going down

Reactions: jctrack
Reading this post had me thinking - and I know you would know the answer - has Pitt ever had a true end of the game basket to win an NCAAT game? I don't necessarily mean a buzzer beater, just a shot to take the lead and leave a few seconds left on the clock?

I've only been a fan since 2000-01. The Fields shot against Xavier is the closest that I've seen.

If not, I have a feeling that we might see it this year...

Ironically he missed a 3 like 45 seconds before he made that big one. You knew he wanted another chance to drill a 3 late for us.

Reading this post had me thinking - and I know you would know the answer - has Pitt ever had a true end of the game basket to win an NCAAT game? I don't necessarily mean a buzzer beater, just a shot to take the lead and leave a few seconds left on the clock?

I've only been a fan since 2000-01. The Fields shot against Xavier is the closest that I've seen.

If not, I have a feeling that we might see it this year...

The best I can remember was a 15 foot leaner by Dwayne Wallace to beat Idaho by one with 3 seconds to go in OT in 1981.

Maybe off by what? 8 inches?
Don’t know. I was visiting my son in Texas and listened to it on the radio. I thought for sure they were going to pull it out. The Miami homer announcers were in near melt down.

In 1974, we had a close win against Furman as Billy Knight willed us into the Elite Eight…close game but no three point line then…same day UCLA needed 3 OTs to beat Dayton…

Our next game we dropped to NC State (no answer for Tom Burleson and his 7’4” height)…but a great season where we had a 22 game win streak.

Hail to PITT!
-al-

Always remember Dwayne Wallace game winner. I vaguely remember Pitt winning a close NCAA tourament game against Furman I believe it the 74 run but my memory isn't as good as it was then. HTP

Reactions: FireballZ
In 1974, we had a close win against Furman as Billy Knight willed us into the Elite Eight…close game but no three point line then…same day UCLA needed 3 OTs to beat Dayton…

Our next game we dropped to NC State (no answer for Tom Burleson and his 7’4” height)…but a great season where we had a 22 game win streak.

Hail to PITT!
-al-
Didn't that NC ST team also have David Thompson???

Didn't that NC ST team also have David Thompson???

Yes -- the game was on at my house but I was only 7 so a barely remember it. But I remember that Thompson got hurt but they played better without him.

Thompson went high and fell over his teammate, hitting his head…it was fairly early in the game.

In the final, they beat UCLA in OT…I think UCLA opened up a 8 or 10 point in OT, and couldn’t then stop NC State…Walton’s last collegiate game.

Hail to PITT!
-al-

JB is a man playing with boys . Best midrange scorer I can remember at Pitt . Best team leader since LFields and BK .

Funny how earlier this season there were many uncomplimentary threads on JB .

Pitt had Duke beat earlier in the season and just didn’t finish the job , let’s do it today !

Wish both Hinson and Elliot would stop driving to the hoop . Do what you guys do best shoot the three . Let JB , Nellie and Nike drive to the basket .

Last edited:
Reactions: MajorMajors
DB is a man playing with boys . Best midrange scorer I can remember at Pitt . Best team leader since LFields and BK .

Funny how earlier this season there were many uncomplimentary threads on DB .

Pitt had Duke beat earlier in the season and just didn’t finish the job , let’s do it today !

Wish both Hinson and Elliot would stop driving to the hoop . Do what you guys do best shoot the three . Let DB , Nellie and Nike drive to the basket .
Maybe you should start by getting the initials correct. It's JB for Jamarius Burton not DB.

Yea Hinson has been absolute money late in games drilling the dagger 3 that pretty much ices the game. He is fearless and wants the ball in his hands to take that big shot. It’s what can make Pitt a dangerous team in the tournament if you get those games where both Hinson and Elliott heat up beyond the arch.

Burton is so physical as a guard, that's why reminds me so much of our guards from the Big East days like Wanamaker. Burton carried us when the rest of the team was struggling. His midrange game is as good as anyone in college basketball.
Yea he is so good off the dribble and driving to the net. He has that “IT” Factor as a guard that a lot of guys just don’t have and that ability to take a game over with the ball in his hands.

A footnote: It is very difficult to beat a team 3 times in a season. Pitt beat GT by

71-60 Away
76-68 Home
89-81 Neutral

Food for thought: Why are Pitt's points scored and points allowed per game going up at season's end?

Pitt trying to play more up tempo?
Are officials getting into post-season mode where they call fewer ticky-tack fouls?
Fatigue from playing tough defense earlier in the season?
Some combo of these things?

Didn't you just KNOW that Hinson's three with at the end was going down. It always always does!!
It was a great feeling when that Hinson three went down. Almost as good as the Saul FG against UCLA.

I’d also add that JB seems like a really fine young man. I’ve been impressed with his thoughtful answers to reporters questions. All around class act
I feel like this year's team has several guys that present like that--Hinson too.

I love it when he shoots about as much as I hate it when he dribbles. Not sure I’ve ever thought like that about a player before but his 3s were huge for them today.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
A footnote: It is very difficult to beat a team 3 times in a season. Pitt beat GT by

71-60 Away
76-68 Home
89-81 Neutral

Food for thought: Why are Pitt's points scored and points allowed per game going up at season's end?

Are officials getting into post-season mode where they call fewer ticky-tack fouls?

Maybe it's because some of the teams Pitt has played toward the end of the year have improved as the year went on. Probably less emphasis on strong defense and more emphasis on scoring is another reason. I know the coaches say they are emphasizing rebounding and defense. It just isn't showing up too much in games toward the end of the year. Too much inconsistency.

71-60 Away
76-68 Home
89-81 Neutral

I don't think it's necessarily more up tempo. There were 68 possessions in yesterday's game which is basically a medium tempo game (Pitt averages something like 67.5 per game which is right in the middle of the NCAA this year).

There were 34 fouls called yesterday which is kinda average as well.

Personally, I'm not one to buy into fatigue as an issue.

For me it just comes down to execution. I think teams have scouted how we hedge and they are taking advantage of our weaknesses.

I think first half, I thought we were pretty focused on defense and guarded most shooters well. But in the second half, Ga Tech seemed to "messy up" the game and it seemed to give them lots of open looks.

I don't think it's necessarily more up tempo. There were 68 possessions in yesterday's game which is basically a medium tempo game (Pitt averages something like 67.5 per game which is right in the middle of the NCAA this year).

There were 34 fouls called yesterday which is kinda average as well.

Personally, I'm not one to buy into fatigue as an issue.

For me it just comes down to execution. I think teams have scouted how we hedge and they are taking advantage of our weaknesses.

I think first half, I thought we were pretty focused on defense and guarded most shooters well. But in the second half, Ga Tech seemed to "messy up" the game and it seemed to give them lots of open looks.
If you’re losing to the same team multiple times during a season and don’t try something different then you’re not too smart a coach !

As aggressive Fede is with his hedging teams with offensive bigs will put up big numbers , he needs to be not so predictable .

Reactions: PittPoker

71-60 Away
76-68 Home
89-81 Neutral

I think the easy answer is our defense hasn’t been as good as earlier in the season for a good number of games now. Good thing the offense has picked up the slack.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT