ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD - Pitt vs UNC ......

And there's why FTs matter.

It's not just the two point that James didn't get that would've cut the lead to 7.... it is the two quick baskets the other way because of it.

Instead of keeping the momentum and cutting it to 7, the lead goes to 14 in 30 seconds following the misses.

A 76% guy on the road with a chance to pull to 7 and get some game pressure on the opposition canNOT miss those. That led to the quick burst by NC afterward.

Reactions: PittPoker
There just doesn't seem to be any penalty for playing really stupid or lazy basketball on this team right now. It just goes on and on.

I loved the announcers comment after the Jeter turnover. "It kinda makes you wonder why he has the ball in his hands, have one of your guards dribble penetrate." It KINDA makes you wonder.

Young needs to be on the bench for the rest of the game. Can't play defense, turns the ball over, poor attitude. And Artis is totally ineffective.

From 48-41 to 57-41 in 90 seconds... starting with Jeter dribbling off his foot and Robinson missing two FTs.

Dixon always harps on rebounds. So what rebounds are irrelevant if you don't score.
I don't remember seeing a rebound board in any arena. Only a SCORE board.

And there's why FTs matter.

It's not just the two point that James didn't get that would've cut the lead to 7.... it is the two quick baskets the other way because of it.

Instead of keeping the momentum and cutting it to 7, the lead goes to 14 in 30 seconds following the misses.

A 76% guy on the road with a chance to pull to 7 and get some game pressure on the opposition canNOT miss those. That led to the quick burst by NC afterward.
Alright, this is amazing, I'd been 5 mins since you posted this and I haven't seen the 'no one ever said FTs don't matter' reply yet. Some certain poster must not be online currently.

Young goes one on two on the break with Luther on the other side wide open for a dunk and gets called for a charge. Gosh, I'm so shocked.

Now there was a timely reply by the announcer, 'I feel the game getting away from Pitt'. If this is the first he felt that, he's sleepwalking thru his broadcasting assignment.

Imagine if Young and Artis had the grit, toughness and determination of guys like Troutman and Nasir Robinson. They would both be unstoppable.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDays
Dixon always harps on rebounds. So what rebounds are irrelevant if you don't score.
I don't remember seeing a rebound board in any arena. Only a SCORE board.

You do realize that offensive rebounding can lead to the scoring you're referring to I hope? I realize he's not walking on to that floor any time soon nor is anyone like him but see Blair, DeJuan. Ultimately scoreboard counts but rebounding is important.

Had he made the foul shots was North Carolina not going to get the next two possessions?
A closer score puts game pressure on the opposition. . Something experts talk about all the time.

The misses deflate your team at a time when the points are critical, and help the other team relax.

Reactions: PittPoker
basketball IQ is one reason why Golden State is making the rest of the NBA look stupid. Too many American born players have extremely low basketball IQ, the play where Young charged on the fast break all he had to do was pass to the open man (luther) on the other side.

Virginia and Duke both have high basketball IQ; Pitt doesn't and I am not sold on UNC's basketball IQ either, they can beat teams like Pitt on talent alone.

When other good players have to constantly make up for teammates who arent they adopt an I got to do it all mentality. Unfortunately, thats where Young is now mentally.

Wake will be the last chance at a win. Pitt will lose those final two games on the road and get drilled in the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT