ADVERTISEMENT

Gannon Exhibition Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** There was a time not all that long ago when first exhibition game of the Basketball team served as a useful antidote for a major disappointment by the Football team.

** Still, I wasn’t expecting that kind of cleansing this evening. A nice little shot of hoops hopefulness would have been nice. I can’t say I really got that.

** Keep in mind that over the last 20 years or so, from time to time we have struggled with exhibition opponents. In 2004, CMU led our Panthers by 2 at the half, and that Pitt team went onto the Tourney. In 2008, IUP had their way with DeJuan Blair in the paint, and he went onto be a consensus 1st Team All American.

** And even if the Panthers performance wasn’t enough to give me the shot we may have been looking for, it wasn’t completely terrible either.

** One can say at least say this because Femi played the kind of second half that we all hope we’ll see from him this year. In the first half, he seemed to be trying to facilitate, but it the second half he started to attack. He readily got to the basket or got to the line, where his foul shooting looks much improved.

** Additionally, Femi played in control on offense at a good pace, and because of this he didn’t turn the ball over. He also looked decent shooting the three. Plain and simply, I think this team will need Femi to score plenty this year and just about everything we saw from Femi this night was something to like.

** Ithiel scored 16 but it wasn’t an impressive 16 to me. He’s still missing more spot up open threes than is healthy for our offense. But that happened at times last year, so my expectations are that Ithiel will be the same player as last year too. He’ll really help us in some games, but may disappear in others.

** Nike might be the team’s most aggressive offensive player (scorer), and he was certainly missed in the first half when the offense seemed out of sorts with him only playing 8 minutes. In the second half, it felt to me like Femi decided he needed to do more aggressive work since he knew Nike wouldn’t play at all, and eventually that paid off.

** But the payoff didn’t come until Gannon cut the second half lead to 8 when a switch to a 3-2 zone stymied the Panthers for several straight trips.

** This was around the same time when Will Jeffress came alive and planted himself in the middle of a 15-0 run that put the game out of reach. This included a nice put back and a spot up three.

** It was a darn good thing Will came alive because fans might have ready to leave him for dead after a really tough first half. He wasn’t even close of his first three 3-point tries, and struggled to do much anything else.

** So let’s hope this is the start of something for him, because this team really needs some help on the wing.

** Well, that is unless one considers Mo Gueye a wing. There are plenty of times he actually plays like a wing and I mean this in a good way. My thoughts on Mo remained the same as after the scrimmage a couple weeks ago. There were times when it looked like he’s the Panther’s best player. That would be a little more exciting to report if we didn’t already know what his offensive production was in two years in the America East Conference.

** Still, I’m looking forward to seeing what Mo does against some better competition, because there is some lighting to his game and he’s capable of some highlights. If he can do this consistently, maybe this team can surpass expectations.

** Regardless, surpassing expectation seems like a bit of a pipe dream if Big John struggles like he did tonight. Nothing seemed to work for him offensively, which is mostly because his finesse game played into the way Gannon was defending him. He never used his bulk to get good ball position, which is something one might expect against an undersized opponent.

** It’s not that John didn’t put it the effort, because that wasn’t the issue. I’m hoping it’s more just that he’s got a lot more learning to do. Hopefully he can learn fast.

** As for the rest of the Panthers – Dan Oladapo, Nate Santos, Chris Payton, Onye Ezeakudo and Noah Collier – even if all five might see some minutes as the season goes on, we didn’t get much of a reason to think any can make a notable impact. It's an easy guess that Mr. Burton will be a welcome addition.

** On the defensive end, I was generally pleased with most of the effort, and there’s a real focus on staying in front of dribble penetration. However, we still are having difficulty rotating to the kick out and we were truly fortunate that Gannon just shot the ball really badly for most of the first half.

** It's hard to know exactly just what went right in the second stanza, turning what was looking to be a close game midway through the half into a 25 point win. I’m hoping it’s a little bit of “spurtability” if there really is such a thing.

** I should also say that there where about a half dozen times when Gannon made easy work of the Panthers in the paint, and in a couple of those trips, Big John was the biggest culprit.

** To be honest, after two looks at our Panthers, I have no idea what to expect in the opener against The Citadel. Hopefully, we can outdo that horrific start from last season. Like most other Panther fans, I want to start to feel a little more excited about our basketball program. I’m hoping that will begin next week. Because it hasn’t started just yet.

This team and season has all the makings of Stallings in his second year. The fact that Capel assembled this squad in his 4th year here is all the more upsetting and extremely disappointing. This team and coach is a joke. Glad Milan was promoted though. I'm sure it was well deserved.

This team and season has all the makings of Stallings in his second year. The fact that Capel assembled this squad in his 4th year here is all the more upsetting and extremely disappointing. This team and coach is a joke. Glad Milan was promoted though. I'm sure it was well deserved.

Believe me when I tell you it won't be that bad. This team is already notably better than Stallings' second year when they still had Ryan Luther. And if Luther doesn't go down, that team does not go 0-18. (They win one or two). Having said this, I do think something as bad as 4-16 is possible (I'm still going with 6-14 at the moment - let's see about Nike). And that's pretty darn bad too, especially in year four without any success in the first three years.

Believe me when I tell you it won't be that bad. This team is already notably better than Stallings' second year when they still had Ryan Luther. And if Luther doesn't go down, that team does not go 0-18. (They win one or two). Having said this, I do think something as bad as 4-16 is possible (I'm still going with 6-14 at the moment). And that's pretty darn bad too, especially in year four without any success in the first three years.
Even 2-4 wins is atrocious. I listened to the game, read the in-game commentary from you and others so I ask, which ACC team can Pitt actually beat? We don't even have 5 ACC players on this squad, 2-3 at most. I don't know I hope you're right it won't be as bad as Stallings II but even so, this season is gonna go nowhere. It's really depressing this is happening in Capel' 4th season. He makes Narduzzi look like Nick Saban,

Have they ever named names of those who ran out Dixon?

seems a name and shame campaign at halftime might be in order this season?

im completely baffled as to how we are where we are truly sometimes

Reactions: pittizit
** There was a time not all that long ago when first exhibition game of the Basketball team served as a useful antidote for a major disappointment by the Football team.

** Still, I wasn’t expecting that kind of cleansing this evening. A nice little shot of hoops hopefulness would have been nice. I can’t say I really got that.

** Keep in mind that over the last 20 years or so, from time to time we have struggled with exhibition opponents. In 2004, CMU led our Panthers by 2 at the half, and that Pitt team went onto the Tourney. In 2008, IUP had their way with DeJuan Blair in the paint, and he went onto be a consensus 1st Team All American.

** And even if the Panthers performance wasn’t enough to give me the shot we may have been looking for, it wasn’t completely terrible either.

** One can say at least say this because Femi played the kind of second half that we all hope we’ll see from him this year. In the first half, he seemed to be trying to facilitate, but it the second half he started to attack. He readily got to the basket or got to the line, where his foul shooting looks much improved.

** Additionally, Femi played in control on offense at a good pace, and because of this he didn’t turn the ball over. He also looked decent shooting the three. Plain and simply, I think this team will need Femi to score plenty this year and just about everything we saw from Femi this night was something to like.

** Ithiel scored 16 but it wasn’t an impressive 16 to me. He’s still missing more spot up open threes than is healthy for our offense. But that happened at times last year, so my expectations are that Ithiel will be the same player as last year too. He’ll really help us in some games, but may disappear in others.

** Nike might be the team’s most aggressive offensive player (scorer), and he was certainly missed in the first half when the offense seemed out of sorts with him only playing 8 minutes. In the second half, it felt to me like Femi decided he needed to do more aggressive work since he knew Nike wouldn’t play at all, and eventually that paid off.

** But the payoff didn’t come until Gannon cut the second half lead to 8 when a switch to a 3-2 zone stymied the Panthers for several straight trips.

** This was around the same time when Will Jeffress came alive and planted himself in the middle of a 15-0 run that put the game out of reach. This included a nice put back and a spot up three.

** It was a darn good thing Will came alive because fans might have ready to leave him for dead after a really tough first half. He wasn’t even close of his first three 3-point tries, and struggled to do much anything else.

** So let’s hope this is the start of something for him, because this team really needs some help on the wing.

** Well, that is unless one considers Mo Gueye a wing. There are plenty of times he actually plays like a wing and I mean this in a good way. My thoughts on Mo remained the same as after the scrimmage a couple weeks ago. There were times when it looked like he’s the Panther’s best player. That would be a little more exciting to report if we didn’t already know what his offensive production was in two years in the America East Conference.

** Still, I’m looking forward to seeing what Mo does against some better competition, because there is some lighting to his game and he’s capable of some highlights. If he can do this consistently, maybe this team can surpass expectations.

** Regardless, surpassing expectation seems like a bit of a pipe dream if Big John struggles like he did tonight. Nothing seemed to work for him offensively, which is mostly because his finesse game played into the way Gannon was defending him. He never used his bulk to get good ball position, which is something one might expect against an undersized opponent.

** It’s not that John didn’t put it the effort, because that wasn’t the issue. I’m hoping it’s more just that he’s got a lot more learning to do. Hopefully he can learn fast.

** As for the rest of the Panthers – Dan Oladapo, Nate Santos, Chris Payton, Onye Ezeakudo and Noah Collier – even if all five might see some minutes as the season goes on, we didn’t get much of a reason to think any can make a notable impact. It's an easy guess that Mr. Burton will be a welcome addition.

** On the defensive end, I was generally pleased with most of the effort, and there’s a real focus on staying in front of dribble penetration. However, we still are having difficulty rotating to the kick out and we were truly fortunate that Gannon just shot the ball really badly for most of the first half.

** It's hard to know exactly just what went right in the second stanza, turning what was looking to be a close game midway through the half into a 25 point win. I’m hoping it’s a little bit of “spurtability” if there really is such a thing.

** I should also say that there where about a half dozen times when Gannon made easy work of the Panthers in the paint, and in a couple of those trips, Big John was the biggest culprit.

** To be honest, after two looks at our Panthers, I have no idea what to expect in the opener against The Citadel. Hopefully, we can outdo that horrific start from last season. Like most other Panther fans, I want to start to feel a little more excited about our basketball program. I’m hoping that will begin next week. Because it hasn’t started just yet.
I found it interesting that Femi missed the 2 free throws where he was standing right on the line and made the 7 where he was standing a foot or so behind the line.

I realize that it does no good to think this way, but this would be a pretty good team with Champagne and Toney as the forwards.

Reactions: pittjas
Watched this team and must say they are gonna be hard to watch all year
Very un impressive
FEMI looks like the only bright spot
Band of misfits I’m sorry to say
Long year

Like I said in the other post, Femi looks legit, Horton may hit a few shots, and Mo might be the most interesting watch to see how he translates to ACC play, but otherwise, there's just not a whole lot of oomph on the roster. None of our wing players stand out to me: Collier, Jeffress, Payton, Santos, Oladapo, etc. They all looked the same last night. It's going to be a long year unless more people emerge.

Believe me when I tell you it won't be that bad. This team is already notably better than Stallings' second year when they still had Ryan Luther. And if Luther doesn't go down, that team does not go 0-18. (They win one or two). Having said this, I do think something as bad as 4-16 is possible (I'm still going with 6-14 at the moment - let's see about Nike). And that's pretty darn bad too, especially in year four without any success in the first three years.

I agree. 4-16 is pretty much the worse we can do. 6-14 is a very safe bet. Still pretty terrible in Year 4 but it is what it is.

I agree. 4-16 is pretty much the worse we can do. 6-14 is a very safe bet. Still pretty terrible in Year 4 but it is what it is.
Like.....if it is that bad, or close to it, and we only have Mintz as a recruit and maybe a complete nondescript plan C commit, what's the use in hanging on to Capel and staff?

It only takes a couple of guys......and it just not seems to be happening. Jeffress, Hugely and Collier should be major factors this year. Especially on this roster. We shall see.

Like.....if it is that bad, or close to it, and we only have Mintz as a recruit and maybe a complete nondescript plan C commit, what's the use in hanging on to Capel and staff?

It only takes a couple of guys......and it just not seems to be happening. Jeffress, Hugely and Collier should be major factors this year. Especially on this roster. We shall see.

He's going to get next year to show marked improvement. If we go 6-14 next year, I'd say its time to move on.

To add

Indiana beat Gannon 2 years ago by 30. Indiana was beating them by 8 at halftime. Indiana finished 34th in the country on pomeroy in the same year. Gannon returns their top 4 scorers from a year ago plus their 6th man. Gannon finished 10-4 last year during the covid year and beat 2 Top 25 ranked D2 teams last year.

Im not suggesting that this Gannon team is good by any means. I am suggesting that this is still only a scrimmage game and anyone thinking we were going to walk in and win by 70 with the roster turnover we just had has very unrealistic expectations. Femi only played 13 minutes in the first half. In a real meaningful game, Femi might not even come out in the first half.

The real games start in 1 week with real efficiency metrics to see what we really have. Thanks for your game notes since you were actually there.

To add

Indiana beat Gannon 2 years ago by 30. Indiana was beating them by 8 at halftime. Indiana finished 34th in the country on pomeroy in the same year. Gannon returns their top 4 scorers from a year ago plus their 6th man. Gannon finished 10-4 last year during the covid year and beat 2 Top 25 ranked D2 teams last year.

Im not suggesting that this Gannon team is good by any means. I am suggesting that this is still only a scrimmage game and anyone thinking we were going to walk in and win by 70 with the roster turnover we just had has very unrealistic expectations. Femi only played 13 minutes in the first half. In a real meaningful game, Femi might not even come out in the first half.

The real games start in 1 week with real efficiency metrics to see what we really have. Thanks for your game notes since you were actually there.
They ain't as good as the Gannon teams when I was there. Not close. We had guys who were transfers from UNLV, Providence, ND, Georgetown. Plus some really good DII players, who for whatever reason fell through the cracks. We went to the DII Champ game and were ranked in the top 20 pretty much for 3 years straight.

To add

No mater how you explain
it, Gannon is a Div 11 team.
A Div 1, ACC team should even
have its substitutes dominating
against this type of team.

I didn't see it, listened on the
radio. My guess is Ezeakudo,
our walk on PG is as good as
Gannon's players.

He's going to get next year to show marked improvement. If we go 6-14 next year, I'd say its time to move on.
Agree with this. He's signed through 26/27, so baring a Stalling's level collapse this year he's not getting fired with 4 years remaining on his contract. I also doubt they give him the obligatory extension.

No mater how you explain
it, Gannon is a Div 11 team.
A Div 1, ACC team should even
have its substitutes dominating
against this type of team.

I didn't see it, listened on the
radio. My guess is Ezeakudo,
our walk on PG is as good as
Gannon's players.

The spread on our first game is likely to be around 13. Maybe smaller without Burton and Sibande. This is when it actually counts.

Posted by PittPoker. Liked by Pittiizit. All is well in Lairland.

Reactions: TWPitt and Drew1208
The spread on our first game is likely to be around 13. Maybe smaller without Burton and Sibande. This is when it actually counts.
Ok, I'll go with that, even
though I have no idea what
The Citadel is like. Hopefully
we won't repeat last yr's St. F
debacle opening night.

Ok, I'll go with that, even
though I have no idea what
The Citadel is like. Hopefully
we won't repeat last yr's St. F
debacle opening night.

I don't know anything about this Citadel team but they're a pretty bad basketball program. I would think they would be worse than Gannon. They were picked 8th in the 10 team SoCon

I don't know anything about this Citadel team but they're a pretty bad basketball program. I would think they would be worse than Gannon.
No, they may be low level
Div 1, but I'm certain they're
better than Gannon. They play
in the Southern Conf. with
Furman, Wofford, Chattanooga,
etc.

I looked them up and saw they
return 4 starters. Hayden Brown
listed as POY in the conference.
Last year, 13-12 and 5-11 in conf.

I don't know anything about this Citadel team but they're a pretty bad basketball program. I would think they would be worse than Gannon. They were picked 8th in the 10 team SoCon
From the rankings I’ve seen they should be our worst opponent in the non-conference by far. But they aren’t Gannon level bad, and that was a pretty bad Gannon team.

They do return some players from a team that was about .500 in their league. They have an all league guy in Brown.

what will be interesting is that they are going to try and push tempo, and we will be slowing it down, unusual for an OOC “cupcake” game. The only thing that worries me is likely no Nike or Burton, and very little frontcourt depth. We’ll see.

In my head the line for this game is in the low 20s.

From the rankings I’ve seen they should be our worst opponent in the non-conference by far. But they aren’t Gannon level bad, and that was a pretty bad Gannon team.

They do return some players from a team that was about .500 in their league. They have an all league guy in Brown.

what will be interesting is that they are going to try and push tempo, and we will be slowing it down, unusual for an OOC “cupcake” game. The only thing that worries me is likely no Nike or Burton, and very little frontcourt depth. We’ll see.

Kenpom has them at #229 preseason fwiw

Like I said in the other post, Femi looks legit, Horton may hit a few shots, and Mo might be the most interesting watch to see how he translates to ACC play, but otherwise, there's just not a whole lot of oomph on the roster. None of our wing players stand out to me: Collier, Jeffress, Payton, Santos, Oladapo, etc. They all looked the same last night. It's going to be a long year unless more people emerge.
Hugley, Femi, and one other non grad transfer need to emerge as an upper ACC talent level core that can be built around . Otherwise- time to move on.

I’m actually more bullish on Hugley- he struggled last night - but he was banging - had great position - seemed to move well- but was getting like triple teamed and fouled hard every time he touched the ball. Have to remember he hasn’t played w the lights on in almost a year .

I think bigs do better against teams with other true post players. Hugley against Gannon is watching a grown man play against middle scho kids. You’re almost afraid someone is going to get hurt .

Reactions: whirlybird optio
No, they may be low level
Div 1, but I'm certain they're
better than Gannon. They play
in the Southern Conf. with
Furman, Wofford, Chattanooga,
etc.

I looked them up and saw they
return 4 starters. Hayden Brown
listed as POY in the conference.
Last year, 13-12 and 5-11 in conf.

Gannon was picked 5th in the 9 team PSAC West. The PSAC is one of the better D2 leagues. The Citadel might be better but I don't think it would be that drastic. The PSAC is pretty close to NEC level. The SoCon is better than the NEC but once you get to the bottom of it, those teams suck pretty bad.

To add

One other thing, Gannon is picked to finish 5th in the 9 team PSAC West. So???? Stop always pissing down people's legs and telling them its raining.

They're probably a good bit better than Jacksonville, UNC-Wilmington, or Towson and I think that they're a tougher matchup than Monmouth or UMBC as well if only for their distinctive style. I think that we'll probably open around a 15 point favorite in a 75 possession game.

As a team they're picked for next to last in the SoCon because they lost their second and third leading scorers to transfer but they have a senior point guard, waves of undersized shooters, and Hayden Brown who is the preseason SoCon player of the year so they are not an easy out. Brown is your classic mid-major undersized brawler who creates his own offense and does most of work getting to the rim and by getting to the line, it's going to be very important for our bigs to stay out of foul trouble against him.

Still too early to panic , let’s wait another month !
That's reasonable. We will surely
know by Nov. 24. We will have
found out a lot by then. The
first five games include WVU and
Vanderbuilt. Only WVU is on the
road. We should (hopefully) be
able to beat The Citadel, UNC
Wilmington, and Towson. No
prediction at this point, but we
should have an idea of what we
are by then. Important to have
Sibande and Burton back.

They're probably a good bit better than Jacksonville, UNC-Wilmington, or Towson and I think that they're a tougher matchup than Monmouth or UMBC as well if only for their distinctive style. I think that we'll probably open around a 15 point favorite in a 75 possession game.

As a team they're picked for next to last in the SoCon because they lost their second and third leading scorers to transfer but they have a senior point guard, waves of undersized shooters, and Hayden Brown who is the preseason SoCon player of the year so they are not an easy out. Brown is your classic mid-major undersized brawler who creates his own offense and does most of work getting to the rim and by getting to the line, it's going to be very important for our bigs to stay out of foul trouble against him.
I feel you gave a pretty decent
review of what The Citadel
brings to the table. Bottom line
is they're not Gannon.

What's crazy is how we're discussing
a team the likes of the Citadel, when
in fact we're an ACC team. The ACC
is nowhere near what it once was,
and that goes for us too. Anyway,
that's the reality of it all.

If this season goes very badly, as many expect, and you're looking for a good bball read to get thru the long winter months pick up, My Losing Season by the late great Pat Conroy. He was the starting PG on the 66-67 Citadel team.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss

Thanks for the observations and insights, DT. Will be interesting to see if Mo can score when it counts…. Seems we desperately need him to be impactful.

Go Pitt.

Yea, I was looking at the cbs sports and other sites which rank all the teams, but I think you are right. Brown does scare me becasue we really need Gueye and Hugley to play like 60 min combined, and if we get into foul trouble the game could get scary with Pitt not having much depth anywhere right now.

Key player is probably Horton, if he can make 4-5 three pointers it should open everything up.

Hey, by the way, it was just an exhibition game so this wouldn't be an "official" first, but surely last night had to be the first time that Pitt had a woman official for a men's basketball game.

Hey, by the way, it was just an exhibition game so this wouldn't be an "official" first, but surely last night had to be the first time that Pitt had a woman official for a men's basketball game.

I said the same thing during the game but @PittMan2003 says there was another time a woman officiated a game (she's an NBA ref now and he has a shirt to show for it -- he said it was a "blackout game"). But I'm with you ... I simply cannot remember another time when a woman did a men's game. (And as you know, I always pay attention to exactly who officiates games).

I suspect it's possible that he was referring to a Women's game, but he didn't seem to indicate such. But if you and I BOTH think it's the first time we've woman official for a men's game, and knowing that you and I go to almost every single game, and how we are both "sticklers," it seems very unlikely we are BOTH wrong.

In fairness, in my post during the game, I said first ever woman ref at the Pete (while meaning just for a men's game.) So that would have been the cause for confusion. Have they even had "black out" games for the women's team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT