ADVERTISEMENT

GMJR

You can question the 5 years because he’ll be 36 when it’s done, but you look like a complete moron if you question the 3.25. He was expexted to get offers in the 5-6 million range, but the Crosby factor is what got him here.

Hahahahahaha how many games was Cole scratched? Cole’s skillset can’t hold Johnson’s jock.
In Pittsburgh in favor of worse players? Too many. Did you even know Johnson was a healthy scratch and Cole played on the same team? Hahahahahaha

"Skillsets" are so awesome when they can't possess the puck and let opponents shoot and score way, way more when you are on the ice.

You can question the 5 years because he’ll be 36 when it’s done, but you look like a complete moron if you question the 3.25. He was expexted to get offers in the 5-6 million range, but the Crosby factor is what got him here.
No one expected that, unless they were absolute morons. He is quite literally a bad defenseman.

Just my opinion .....

- Jack Johnson had a really poor/bad year last season but over his career has been pretty solid.

- Johnson and Cole are different players, Johnson more an offensive player who has some trouble in his own end and Cole who is more a defensive player.

- The 3.25 million/year isn't far off although the length of the contract is the question mark.

- The Pens are hoping that Johnson will revert to previous form and if so, he will improve our defense.

- Hopefully, 1) A new/fresh start with the Pens and playing with his very good friend, Sidney Crosby will help ..... 2) His financial problems are not behind him but are now pretty well defined and thus hopefully his mind is now more focused on hockey ...... 3) He will have Sergei Gonchar as a coach who has been given a great deal of credit for markedly improving the play of Schultz, Cole, Oleksiak, Ruhwedel, and others when they came to the Pens .... hopefully, Gonchar can do the same with Johnson.

- The overall deal can certainly be questioned and I understand why and that the Pens are taking a risk, but I'll wait to see how it works out.....

Last edited:
Matt Cullen back to Pens ..... 1 year, $650,000 ..... 41 years old.

I think a lack of leadership/locker room guys really hurt the Pens this year. Fleury, Kunitz, Cullen really pivotal in that area in 2017.
The F are you talking about...this team just got beat by a good team. A team the won the cup and it had nothing to do with the locker room. Keep trying to prove that Johnson wasn't a healthy scratch and Cole didn't play instead of him

The F are you talking about...this team just got beat by a good team. A team the won the cup and it had nothing to do with the locker room. Keep trying to prove that Johnson wasn't a healthy scratch and Cole didn't play instead of him

Johnson being a healthy scratch didn’t have anything to do with a trade demand? Same reason Cole became a healthy scratch?

You do know that Sullivan and Tortarella are both the same petty a-holes that do that kind of thing right?

And yes, they were missing locker room leadership big time last year. It was widely known and considered a big reason for never looking right last year.

Ok. Jack Johnson is one of the worst defenseman in the NHL, is 31, and we just gave him 5 years at $3.25m per. It is a terrible contract. 1 year at $3.25m would be questionable, but possibly a gamble you could justify. Maybe even 2 years. 5 years is awful. It will cost them big.

I think you are being overly harsh on Johnson. The 5 years is questionable, but the yearly salary isn't. He's not coming here to be a top guy. He's got offensive skills and can move the puck. That's why they want him.

I think you are being overly harsh on Johnson. The 5 years is questionable, but the yearly salary isn't. He's not coming here to be a top guy. He's got offensive skills and can move the puck. That's why they want him.

I keep on saying this and either I am typing in invisible ink or Rip is not reading my posts. He will never see that 5th year anyways....there will be a lockout.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Johnson being a healthy scratch didn’t have anything to do with a trade demand? Same reason Cole became a healthy scratch?

You do know that Sullivan and Tortarella are both the same petty a-holes that do that kind of thing right?

And yes, they were missing locker room leadership big time last year. It was widely known and considered a big reason for never looking right last year.
No, it didn't.

He is a clear negative on the ice. It isn't close. You are exactly right he isn't coming to be a top guy and you don't give non top guys 5 years. You don't give 6/7 D that money, either.

I keep on saying this and either I am typing in invisible ink or Rip is not reading my posts. He will never see that 5th year anyways....there will be a lockout.
I responded to it and said you don't operate on the hope that you MAY get a "get out of jail free" card down the line.

I certainly have my concerns about this signing, especially as it relates to term, but I do think some people are overstating their case here.

Whether you love this signing or hate it, Jack Johnson is definitely NOT among the worst defensemen in the NHL. Had the Penguins not signed him he would’ve had absolutely no problem whatsoever finding employment elsewhere.

Johnson had a very bad year last year and he has never lived up to his advanced billing. However, I can definitely see how he could play better for Pittsburgh in an offensive friendly system and in a reduced role.

He said a defenseman would expect to get $6m, give or take $1M. He was not even remotely close to anyone else on that. Most projections were $2-3m for 2-3 years because he has been awful the last two years.

Actually, he was +23 and really good in 2016-17.

I certainly have my concerns about this signing, especially as it relates to term, but I do think some people are overstating their case here.

Whether you love this signing or hate it, Jack Johnson is definitely NOT among the worst defensemen in the NHL. Had the Penguins not signed him he would’ve had absolutely no problem whatsoever finding employment elsewhere.

Johnson had a very bad year last year and he has never lived up to his advanced billing. However, I can definitely see how he could play better for Pittsburgh in an offensive friendly system and in a reduced role.

That's just it, and he was signed to be a 5/6 pairing defenseman. I mean, all this angst and teeth gnashing over someone who is a 5/6 pairing, playing 15 minutes a night.

I will admit, I am not necessarily a fan of the Johnson signing. He was below average last season.

But I will also trust GMJR and Sullivan in their use of defensemen. They have taken guys who we said the same thing about basically like Schultz, Oleckziak, etc.. prior to that and turned them into really solid defensemen in the Pens system.

So while I am not really fan of Johnson today and I wouldn't have signed him if I were making the calls, I am going to wait and see what happens before jumping off a bridge over it. Frankly, these guys forgot more about hockey than I will ever dream of knowing so who am I to judge.

He really was last year and has been for 3 years. Columbus was a much, much better team with him off the ice than on it.

Actually, he was +23 and really good in 2016-17.
He was not really good in 2016-17 and he was TERRIBLE last year. Absolutely TERRIBLE. He has been really bad for 3 years. I am shocked people are actually quoting +/- and disregarding advanced statistics, but I guess I shouldn't be. He was the worst player on the Blue Jackets last season and much worse than Ruhwedel and even Hunwick. Johnson has been a negative player his entire career. Even when he was putting up points, he cost far more on the other end. He doesn't help control the puck or suppress shots and now he has lost his speed to cover some of that up. I doubt that improves as he gets older.

Sure, you can hide a guy like Johnson as your #6 or 7 D, but, again, you don't give those guys $16.25M. He can't kill penalties and he isn't near as good as our PP options.

I mean, so is Scott Hamilton. It's always weird to hear people say that. I understand that moving around the ice is a big deal but you kind of actually have to be able to play the game.
And he isn't a very good skater anymore.

Look, IMO, the biggest acquisition the Pens made this offseason was almost 2 full months of rest that they haven't had over the past 2 offseasons. Alot of batteries were running low will be recharged. I mean the Pens/Caps have been essentially a coin flip in every playoff series they had since 2009.

As for JJ, I think a change of scenery will be very beneficial to him.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT