ADVERTISEMENT

GMJR

Why do Pens fans get so twisted over Reaves. It wasn’t a good trade because of fit, but it wasn’t some massive overpay. You guys always fixate on the “first round pick” like it was a top 10 slot. It was #31 and they got a pick in the middle of the second round - which is always ignored. Again, bad fit but JR gave up 20 spots and a 4th line center. Not exactly Nasland for Stojanev.

Why do Pens fans get so twisted over Reaves. It wasn’t a good trade because of fit, but it wasn’t some massive overpay. You guys always fixate on the “first round pick” like it was a top 10 slot. It was #31 and they got a pick in the middle of the second round - which is always ignored. Again, bad fit but JR gave up 20 spots and a 4th line center. Not exactly Nasland for Stojanev.
Because it’s something to bark about.

Never mind he was an asset we later used to sign brassard with Vegas taking part of his salary

Had we not traded for Reaves in the first place we wouldn’t have needed to dump him to trade for Brassard. He was not an “asset” in the Brassard trade. He was dumped very casually to clear cap space.

I definitely agree that trading a low first round pick is usually not a big deal. However, for some reason, a projected top 10 pick had slipped down to that spot.

I think St. Louis definitely got the best of that trade. They only question left is by how much? Also, that’s how it goes with trades. You’re going to win some and you are going to lose some too.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Absolutely. That is the crazy thing. It is just as crazy as those Vancouver contracts DVY mentioned. It is insane to actively give big money and term to 3rd pair/bottom 6 players. This isn't a guy who is on the end of his deal and looks bad in his last 1-2 years and now we are just hoping can be an ok #6/7 D, but a guy we gave money and term to who has no chance of ever being a top 4 D, at any point, on his contract. The upside is miniscule and the downside is enormous.

The Vancouver signings are infinitely worse. Defensemen are hard to come by – especially those who can log big minutes in a pinch.

You seem to be implying there would be no market for Johnson had the Penguins not just thrown all this money at him and I am here to tell you that is definitely wrong. Just look at the other guys at that position and the money that was thrown around at them.

Again, that doesn’t mean Pittsburgh made a good decision. Personally, I’m not too thrilled with it. However, you are remaining too strong/rigid in your argument.

Also, with the way Pittsburgh plays - where the second and third pairings are basically the same - if he plays even mediocrely, he would definitely live up to that $3.25 million AAV contract.

There is no scenario in which Jay Beagle is going to be logging big minutes for the Vancouver Canucks. Depth forwards are truly a dime a dozen - even a good one like Beagle. Please don’t try to equate the two because that would be completely ridiculous.

Had we not traded for Reaves in the first place we wouldn’t have needed to dump him to trade for Brassard. He was not an “asset” in the Brassard trade. He was dumped very casually to clear cap space.

I definitely agree that trading a low first round pick is usually not a big deal. However, for some reason, a projected top 10 pick had slipped down to that spot.

I think St. Louis definitely got the best of that trade. They only question left is by how much? Also, that’s how it goes with trades. You’re going to win some and you are going to lose some too.

If you are judging the trade as though the Pens would’ve selected the same guy as the other team did then the trade to get David Perron is far worse. That pick ended up with the Isles who selected Mathew Barzal.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Yeah, but that’s a little different because that decision was made months in advance. This pick was literally staring them in the face and they passed on it. I am sure you would agree that is not the same thing.

That's my complaint. It is not moving the 1st rd pick, but it was a usable asset that could have been used to acquire something else. Reaves just wasn't a fit (though I think he was a better player than given credit for) but even in the best of situation he was a 4th line player playing 6-8 minutes a game. That is hardly worth a 1st rd pick. AND...there should have been a clear conversation and communication between Rutherford and Sullivan on if Reaves is a proper fit.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
The Vancouver signings are infinitely worse. Defensemen are hard to come by – especially those who can log big minutes in a pinch.

You seem to be implying there would be no market for Johnson had the Penguins not just thrown all this money at him and I am here to tell you that is definitely wrong. Just look at the other guys at that position and the money that was thrown around at them.

Again, that doesn’t mean Pittsburgh made a good decision. Personally, I’m not too thrilled with it. However, you are remaining too strong/rigid in your argument.

Also, with the way Pittsburgh plays - where the second and third pairings are basically the same - if he plays even mediocrely, he would definitely live up to that $3.25 million AAV contract.

There is no scenario in which Jay Beagle is going to be logging big minutes for the Vancouver Canucks. Depth forwards are truly a dime a dozen - even a good one like Beagle. Please don’t try to equate the two because that would be completely ridiculous.

Speaking of lacking direction, Detroit once the model franchise curiously resigned Mike Green and Thomas Vanek. They signed Trevor Daley last year. They have a defense now starting next season of a 35 year old Trevor Daley, a 34 year old Jonathan Ericson, a 33 year old Mike Green, a 28 year old Denny DeKeyser and a 37 Nicklas Kronwall. Up front they have 38 year old Hank Zetterberg, Vanek will turn 35 mid season, 32 year old Darren Helm, 31 year old Justin Abelkader.

They do have a few decent young forwards in Dylan Larkin Andreas Anthanasiou and Anthony Mantha, are under 23, but I wouldn't consider them "elite". Even some of their "younger" forwards like Gustav Nyquist is turning 29.

They went out and also signed Johathan Bernier in goal, not a bad move. But this should be a rebuilding franchise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT