ADVERTISEMENT

Good game/tough loss against Clemson

NCanton Panther

Heisman Candidate
Sep 22, 2001
Good competitive game, almost a carbon copy of the last 2 except for the result.

Up 8 and in the double bonus, sure wish Burton would have kept the ball in his own hands. He was feeling it to get us to that 8-pt lead. He had to be tired but I sure would have liked our chances better if the ball would have stayed in his hands to make a bucket or get to the foul line.

A couple misses by Cummings hurt down the stretch as well as about 4 FT misses by Hinson with one being on the front end of a one n one.

Santos made the prayer and the end of the half but otherwise he can’t get anything to fall.

Add it all up and that hard fought 8-pt lead disappeared too fast.

Clemson is good. Really tough to blow an 8 point lead with 5:30 left but credit to Clemson. They scored on 6 of their last 7 possessions when we were up 8, getting 14 points on those possessions. That's the way it goes sometimes. Tough way to lose but this team is for real. That said, the margin is razor thin just to get to Dayton so any game you lose that you really should have won stings. Need to finish 9-6. I have a feeling we beat Duke.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
A couple misses by Cummings hurt down the stretch as well as about 4 FT misses by Hinson with one being on the front end of a one n one.

Santos made the prayer and the end of the half but otherwise he can’t get anything to fall.

Add it all up and that hard fought 8-pt lead disappeared too fast.
You summed it up pretty
well. I would add that we
were up against, as thier
coach said....an older team.
I didn't feel we had the only
"men" out there today. The
rebound stats were almost
even, 36-35 but those #'s
don't really reveal what
went on inside. Pts in the
point they really hurt us,
34-14. That's a big diffential
and it shows how our tall,
skinny guys got moved off
the blocks and also got
overpowered.

We couldn't hold the lead,
missed some FT's (Hinson?)
had a few TO's at crucial
times, but Clemson held
tough. They're good! So
are we. Let's see how we
bounce back.

Clemson is good. Really tough to blow an 8 point lead with 5:30 left but credit to Clemson. They scored on 6 of their last 7 possessions when we were up 8, getting 14 points on those possessions. That's the way it goes sometimes. Tough way to lose but this team is for real. That said, the margin is razor thin just to get to Dayton so any game you lose that you really should have won stings. Need to finish 9-6. I have a feeling we beat Duke.
one game at a time.

We had three consecutive wins in one-possession games, it didn't work out today. Too many empty possessions in the last five minutes, we didn't make the winning plays this time.

Pitt has a lot to play for in the upcoming games and after the previous Capel seasons, a lot to prove.

I anticipate a strong game against Duke.

Reactions: FireballZ
For a "loss", for me this was not a bad loss. We went toe to toe with them for first place in the ACC!

Some players had poor games (or games that were not up to their standards).

Props for the twins and Santos for the minutes. I thought they contributed and we will need them.

I like our fight and moxie. I don't see any game on our schedule we cannot win (or lose).

I'd bring Hugely back if not for some minutes but to "rejuvenate" the team if we happen to have a losing spell. He is a good problem to have.

Please have the pitt writers never ALL say that Pitt will win the game.... ;-)

Reactions: FireballZ
Clemson is good. Really tough to blow an 8 point lead with 5:30 left but credit to Clemson. They scored on 6 of their last 7 possessions when we were up 8, getting 14 points on those possessions.
Yes, they are good, and
we are too. I mentioned
above how we sometimes
get overpowered inside.
The pts. in the paint,
(34-14) prove it. This is
where, good as we're
doing we miss Hugley's
bulk. Fede and the twins
are doing better than I
expected, but they're at
a real disadvantage against
bigger, older, experienced
bigs. Of course Hinson has
the bulk, strength, and
experience, but let's face
it, much of his game is on
the perimeter. Even with
all that, we almost pulled
it out.

You summed it up pretty
well. I would add that we
were up against, as thier
coach said....an older team.
I didn't feel we had the only
"men" out there today. The
rebound stats were almost
even, 36-35 but those #'s
don't really reveal what
went on inside. Pts in the
point they really hurt us,
34-14. That's a big diffential
and it shows how our tall,
skinny guys got moved off
the blocks and also got
overpowered.

We couldn't hold the lead,
missed some FT's (Hinson?)
had a few TO's at crucial
times, but Clemson held
tough. They're good! So
are we. Let's see how we
bounce back.
Clemson had all kinds of success inside at the beginning of the game. Middle of the game we stemmed the tide and neutralized things inside. Unfortunately they got the inside game going again at the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT