ADVERTISEMENT

Heather Lyke and Sandy Barbour

GreatBear71

Scholarship
May 9, 2005
Heather came out in November/2017 stating that a scheduling agreement with Penn State was real close and a contract was being sent. Barbour did not deny there was communication, but was not ready to sign off on anything, stating where does Pitt fit in their scheduling philosophy. Was Heather being played for a sucker? Heather's statement was put on the Future College football schedule site, saying that Pitt and PSU were close to an agreement. Now, PSU finishes their 2020 schedule with no Pitt. Nevada and San Jose State were added to Virginia Tech, and Bowling Green was added to the 2024 schedule,
Barbour has been talking about scheduling philosophy the past couple of yrs. They have had plenty of time to formulate this. Everyone needs to come clean and JUST BE HONEST.
Chris, please look into this and get an update for us fans.
Discuss......................

Penn St has a formula to play 3 cupcakes OOC and pad their record. I am not hating, that is just a fact and it works well for them. With the 3 OOC cupcakes + their in-conference pansies like Rutgers, Maryland, etc. All they have to do is be decent most years and 8+ wins are guaranteed. The Big Ten is very solid at the top, but the bottom is maybe the worst bottom in Power 5 (apologies to the Pac 12). So, that leaves one OOC game per year they are willing to risk a loss. While they probably view Pitt as a lower risk to lose than Auburn or Virginia Tech, I can see where there fans would get bored playing Pitt all the time when that is their lone OOC attraction.

Reactions: freddietee511
I was assuming any penn state series would be after the upcoming wvu series. Pitt has learned their lesson about scheduling so many better schools at one time.

Penn St has a formula to play 3 cupcakes OOC and pad their record. I am not hating, that is just a fact and it works well for them. With the 3 OOC cupcakes + their in-conference pansies like Rutgers, Maryland, etc. All they have to do is be decent most years and 8+ wins are guaranteed. The Big Ten is very solid at the top, but the bottom is maybe the worst bottom in Power 5 (apologies to the Pac 12). So, that leaves one OOC game per year they are willing to risk a loss. While they probably view Pitt as a lower risk to lose than Auburn or Virginia Tech, I can see where there fans would get bored playing Pitt all the time when that is their lone OOC attraction.
How is Penn State playing 3 cupcake OOC game along with Auburn/VT when Penn State only plays 3 OOC conference games? In reality Penn State has 9 conference games and 3 OOC games. That only allows for 1 Home and Home series.

Lyke looks like a fool IMO. Why come out in public and say the offer was on the table and in Barbour’s hands? Then PSU gets out and we look like the desperate ones.

Reactions: odshowtime
Lyke looks like a fool IMO. Why come out in public and say the offer was on the table and in Barbour’s hands? Then PSU gets out and we look like the desperate ones.
I think what she meant to say is we made our best offer to extend the series. We are willing and trying to extend it. It up to Penn State to continue it. If it doesn’t get extend it is on them. Instead the way she worded it made her look like fool. It made it sound like she thought they had a deal and it just needed signed.

How is Penn State playing 3 cupcake OOC game along with Auburn/VT when Penn State only plays 3 OOC conference games? In reality Penn State has 9 conference games and 3 OOC games. That only allows for 1 Home and Home series.
Was 3 until they added the 9th conference game. So yeah 2 cupcakes, plus 1 P5. All the rest still applies.

She does not look like a fool. My guess is she thought she could put public pressure on Penn State without realizing they have no shame at all
^^^This.^^^ She thought that all parties involved were negotiating in good faith, and that the Nits actually wanted to give the football fans of PA something that many of them want.

Personally, I hope that we never play them again.

Pitt fans look like fools everytime they are butthurt over the realization PSU doesn't want to play them. It is time to move on. Time to move on from the obsession. We don't need Penn State. We can be just the same mediocre program without them as we are with them.

meh, we'll see when games after 25 made public. And in this case the thread was started by a stater.

I wish we were that smart.

Heather came out in November/2017 stating that a scheduling agreement with Penn State was real close and a contract was being sent. Barbour did not deny there was communication, but was not ready to sign off on anything, stating where does Pitt fit in their scheduling philosophy. Was Heather being played for a sucker? Heather's statement was put on the Future College football schedule site, saying that Pitt and PSU were close to an agreement. Now, PSU finishes their 2020 schedule with no Pitt. Nevada and San Jose State were added to Virginia Tech, and Bowling Green was added to the 2024 schedule,
Barbour has been talking about scheduling philosophy the past couple of yrs. They have had plenty of time to formulate this. Everyone needs to come clean and JUST BE HONEST.
Chris, please look into this and get an update for us fans.
Discuss......................
I don't recall her saying anything of the sort.

Pitt's AD was played for a sucker. Again. Everytime we have a new AD, he/she thinks they are going to be the one to get some kind of extended series going. Just like every new POTUS thinks he will solve the dispute with the Isreales and Palestinians. Neither is happening short of another huge scandals. PSU is happy with one home and home every 15-20 years. We.can try again once scheduling starts for 2034.

And if Lyke or any new future AD doesn't at least kick the tires of the PSU series they wouldn't be doing their job.

Lyke took a chance at the height of this current series, hoping Penn State and their fans would be strong armed to move forward. Obviously with her being in Michigan she doesn't know how these fans or Penn State admin act and behave.

Penn State is not scared of pitt...they don't benefit from it with the exception of a truly full beaver stadium. And they are so flush with cash they don't care if they sell 10000-15000 less tickets with Nevada.

Penn State may not be afraid of Pitt but they weren’t keen on playing them either. That means that Pitt is no cupcake. So Penn State isn’t afraid of Pitt, but they also don’t want to lose to Pitt either.

Penn State may not be afraid of Pitt but they weren’t keen on playing them either. That means that Pitt is no cupcake. So Penn State isn’t afraid of Pitt, but they also don’t want to lose to Pitt either.

I agree with this. As someone above said, 2 years ago Penn State is a playoff team if they exchange the pitt loss for a sisters of the poor home win.

I agree with this. As someone above said, 2 years ago Penn State is a playoff team if they exchange the pitt loss for a sisters of the poor home win.

I know what you are saying, but PSU was playing with house money that year. Much better days are ahead for PSU! And Pitt.

And if Lyke or any new future AD doesn't at least kick the tires of the PSU series they wouldn't be doing their job.

Lyke took a chance at the height of this current series, hoping Penn State and their fans would be strong armed to move forward. Obviously with her being in Michigan she doesn't know how these fans or Penn State admin act and behave.

Penn State is not scared of pitt...they don't benefit from it with the exception of a truly full beaver stadium. And they are so flush with cash they don't care if they sell 10000-15000 less tickets with Nevada.

Yes, and they know they can bring in 90,000 fans to play a patsy, while screaming about how great they are.

You guys do realize that Wvu and Pitt do have a 4 game series coming up 2022-25.In 24-25 we have Penn State and Pitt,I can't wait.Damn looking at our occ coming up its pretty difficult.

I want our next AD to come in and say "I'm not even talking to Penn St. I don't want that soiled program within 140 miles of Heinz Field. That program is dead to us."

Then and only then will Penn St. suddenly want to play Pitt again ,and we will be in the drivers seat.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
I want our next AD to come in and say "I'm not even talking to Penn St. I don't want that soiled program within 140 miles of Heinz Field. That program is dead to us."

Then and only then will Penn St. suddenly want to play Pitt again ,and we will be in the drivers seat.

I am not agreeing with this premise, but I wouldn't dismiss this thinking either.

If narduzzi and Lyke take it publically and call out afraid cat Franklin and Sandy they might entice them. If we know anything about nitters, they love to run their mouth

Sorry Hail I should of said Wvu plays both Pitt and Psu in 24-25.It will be a fun 2 years,I hope!

Yes. That is something that's hard to believe unless you have experienced them. I'm sure everyone around her told her this, but she probably said no one could be that bad. And now she knows.

She does not look like a fool. My guess is she thought she could put public pressure on Penn State without realizing they have no shame at all

I just checked with an actuary. He informs me that I will not be alive when the next time PITT and Penn State play a football game again after the 2019 game that concludes the current 4 game contract.

Therefore, I am moving on from this topic...:(

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
I am not agreeing with this premise, but I wouldn't dismiss this thinking either.

If narduzzi and Lyke take it publically and call out afraid cat Franklin and Sandy they might entice them. If we know anything about nitters, they love to run their mouth
The media here would spin it that a Pitt is lying and being bush league. We cannot win in this town

Reactions: ratking17
PSU has more to lose than to gain by playing Pitt, that's why they are avoiding us. I can't understand how any Pitt fans think that makes Lyke look like a fool, or that Pitt fans are butthurt over it. That's a narrative for PSU fans.

Personally, I'm pleased that they don't have the guts to play us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT