ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley Suspended

The #1 priority, above all else, for these kids in college is to get an education, graduate and grow as adults. That's it, nothing else. Capel has some good character kids on this team who want to fulfill this priority. Having one who couldn't care less about throwing it away is unacceptable. If Capel doesn't know what this #1 priority is, then he isn't doing his job.
I don’t think any of that is necessarily incongruous to having Hugley eventually return to the team. Capel’s commitment to assist his players in getting an education, graduate, and become good men, husbands, and fathers might very well be affirmed by not quitting on Hugley and allowing him to rejoin the team. I’m sure there would be a process and a variety of hoops that he’d need to jump through, but Capel made a commitment to the kid and his family that he’d take care of their son and would do right by him. If Capel’s eventual assessment is that “doing right” by the kid, his teammates, and the program is allowing him back on the team, then I think it’d be a mistake to second guess that. Vice versa if Capel eventually determines that he needs to go elsewhere.

I personally hope he’s allowed back on the team because I don’t like the idea of quitting on a kid who made a really, really, really stupid choice in his first two weeks on campus when the totality of the circumstances suggest that the best thing for the kid’s future is the structure and guidance that a program like Capel’s can provide. But I’m not going to second guess it either way - he knows his team, the situation, and the kids better than we do.

I don’t think any of that is necessarily incongruous to having Hugley eventually return to the team. Capel’s commitment to assist his players in getting an education, graduate, and become good men, husbands, and fathers might very well be affirmed by not quitting on Hugley and allowing him to rejoin the team. I’m sure there would be a process and a variety of hoops that he’d need to jump through, but Capel made a commitment to the kid and his family that he’d take care of their son and would do right by him. If Capel’s eventual assessment is that “doing right” by the kid, his teammates, and the program is allowing him back on the team, then I think it’d be a mistake to second guess that. Vice versa if Capel eventually determines that he needs to go elsewhere.

I personally hope he’s allowed back on the team because I don’t like the idea of quitting on a kid who made a really, really, really stupid choice in his first two weeks on campus when the totality of the circumstances suggest that the best thing for the kid’s future is the structure and guidance that a program like Capel’s can provide. But I’m not going to second guess it either way - he knows his team, the situation, and the kids better than we do.
curious if you would hope they were allowed back if this was Gerald Drumgoole or Max Amadasun

I don’t have a preference one way or another just curious. Letting him back on the team may be the only way to save him but I don’t think Pitt wins more games the next 3 years because of John Hugley. I’ve said that from the time he was recruited though.

curious if you would hope they were allowed back if this was Gerald Drumgoole or Max Amadasun

I don’t have a preference one way or another just curious. Letting him back on the team may be the only way to save him but I don’t think Pitt wins more games the next 3 years because of John Hugley. I’ve said that from the time he was recruited though.
Yeah, I would. I’d be less disappointed in losing either of those guys for what might be the rest of the season than I am about losing Hugley for potentially the rest of the year.

But I think that if the facts (as we know them) were identical just with a different player involved, I’d still be in favor of a path back. If the facts change, then my opinion might definitely be different.

It didn't happen yesterday. When it happened and the coaches knew about it, which was more than a few weeks ago, why wasn't he suspended right at that point?

Unless he tells HCJC, "Yeah, I took the keys out of her purse, moved the car, then changed the license plate," then I have no issue with the staff waiting on letting the police find their own facts first.

To give him full devil's advocate treatment: It sure seems weird that a kid with no criminal record would decide to steal a car three weeks after matriculating. I'm not saying he's likely innocent, but chances are there's some weird stuff involved in the full story.

Unless he tells HCJC, "Yeah, I took the keys out of her purse, moved the car, then changed the license plate," then I have no issue with the staff waiting on letting the police find their own facts first.

To give him full devil's advocate treatment: It sure seems weird that a kid with no criminal record would decide to steal a car three weeks after matriculating. I'm not saying he's likely innocent, but chances are there's some weird stuff involved in the full story.

Seems like there are some gaps in this situation that might need to be filled in. Maybe those gaps are in Hugley’s favor? Maybe they’re not? But that’s why the authorities have to be allowed to do their work and establish the who, what, why and when.

Think someone like Wil Jeffress comes to Pitt to play with teammates who steal cars ?

If he went for a joy ride and wasn’t involved in initially stealing the car and changing the plates then he has a chance to return , otherwise he’s deservedly gone .

No one I ever knew didn’t know that getting in a stolen car was a no go at his age . ( any age ! )

I’m sure every scholarship player in every sport is told that they will be help to higher standards of conduct because they represent the the university .

When your 6’9” it’s hard to be Inconspicuous !

The only thing I still don’t understand about this all is how the teammates that were with him that night didn’t see the car anytime between when he stole it and when it was found in Oakland.

I mean, they were freshmen who just got on campus in the middle of a pandemic, you’d think they spent a lot of time together..

Just doesn’t add up to me. The girl sleeps in the dorm, so even if it’s just a hookup, she at least has some sort of “relationship” with one of the Pitt players. So you’d think the next day, she texts whichever player and says, hey do you know what happened to my car? And Noah/Jeffess clearly know what it looks like because they rode in it to get there...

Then they just don’t see it for 2 weeks ?

I don’t mean to keep harping on this I just find the whole situation so interesting and odd.

Why couldn’t he have just punched a frat kid or got caught with weed like most college athletes?

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
The only thing I still don’t understand about this all is how the teammates that were with him that night didn’t see the car anytime between when he stole it and when it was found in Oakland.

I mean, they were freshmen who just got on campus in the middle of a pandemic, you’d think they spent a lot of time together..

Just doesn’t add up to me. The girl sleeps in the dorm, so even if it’s just a hookup, she at least has some sort of “relationship” with one of the Pitt players. So you’d think the next day, she texts whichever player and says, hey do you know what happened to my car? And Noah/Jeffess clearly know what it looks like because they rode in it to get there...

Then they just don’t see it for 2 weeks ?

I don’t mean to keep harping on this I just find the whole situation so interesting and odd.

Why couldn’t he have just punched a frat kid or got caught with weed like most college athletes?
Why would you ask the people you hung out with the night before what happened to my stolen car ? If you stole it you wouldn’t tell her or her friends ...would ya !

Just a really bad look for young man that has a chance to change his family's fortunes but I'm not going to judge let the process play out. I think Pitt definitely needs to grab a big man and this upcoming class

Sad that he has potentially thrown away his future, he left his team down and a huge whole in the line up of a very promising team. The felony counts are serious but since no one was injured he may get a break depending on this past legal encounters.

The whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense. I am thinking there is more to the story and hopefully it will be good news for John and the program. The police report sounds horrendous but I doubt Heather and Capel would have let him play and put all that time into him if they thought those charges would stick. Probably wishful thinking but I can hope 🤔

Maybe the girl and her family took a while to decide whether or not to press charges?

Such a weird story, it's hard to even speculate.
It seems like she suspected him but the police waited until the had hard evidence in the form of street cameras to charge from reading the article

The #1 priority, above all else, for these kids in college is to get an education, graduate and grow as adults. That's it, nothing else. Capel has some good character kids on this team who want to fulfill this priority. Having one who couldn't care less about throwing it away is unacceptable. If Capel doesn't know what this #1 priority is, then he isn't doing his job.
Maybe with these guys, but the "graduate" part is not really a priority for a kid who's life's work will be playing basketball for a living. In that case, the priority is to prepare that kid for his life's work.

Here’s the real story. Huggins from WVU orchestrated this whole thing. Hughley gets kicked off the team, WVU fixes his issues and he transfers to WVU.

Here’s what inevitably happens in a situation where a player gets in trouble. Let’s assume he doesn’t got to jail...

Kid gets in trouble, then gets suspended. He goes through the judicial system and winds up getting probation, etc. The school is pressure to kick him out.

A new school offers him a “second chance” and he goes there, and many agree that he should be given the chance. Why does he need to leave one school (or team) and only get a second chance at another school? Is the “punishment” having to leave the original school?

The whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense. I am thinking there is more to the story and hopefully it will be good news for John and the program. The police report sounds horrendous but I doubt Heather and Capel would have let him play and put all that time into him if they thought those charges would stick. Probably wishful thinking but I can hope 🤔
It only makes sense if he is an idiot.

In that case, the priority is to prepare that kid for his life's work.

Agreed, but this is where character building intersects all majors. In fact the kids that get to play at the next level need to be even more prepared to live a disciplined life because of the decisions/opportunities that will present itself in the 3-10 years that they get that opportunity. Perhaps a few will make a ton of money at a young age, some may live in different cultures, etc., but under those circumstances they all will be exposed to living "under a microscope " and any decent adult in a leadership position will try to influence them to make good decisions as they move on to achieve their goals, IMO.

Listen, I said if it can be proven that he knew the car was stolen and not his friend's, he's probably gone. Now do I think he knew? Yes. Can they prove he knew? I don't know. All I am saying is that his defense is "my buddy said that was his car," they have to be able to prove he knew it was stolen.

My complete guess on what happens here is that he takes a plea agreement, testifies against his buddy and gets community service plus maybe a light house arrest sentence.
He should have been able to figure out that it wasn't his friend's car since that car wasn't how he and his friend got to the party.

Reactions: JoseLind13
Here’s what inevitably happens in a situation where a player gets in trouble. Let’s assume he doesn’t got to jail...

Kid gets in trouble, then gets suspended. He goes through the judicial system and winds up getting probation, etc. The school is pressure to kick him out.

A new school offers him a “second chance” and he goes there, and many agree that he should be given the chance. Why does he need to leave one school (or team) and only get a second chance at another school? Is the “punishment” having to leave the original school?

There is very little chance he serves any jail time, but there is also very little chance he remains on the team.

Beyond being immensely stupid, its a red flag on his character. These things don't typically end well, and he will most certainly end up at a lower level.

Im probably more conservative about these things that most on this board but if this is the kids first brush any kind of trouble I think you give the kid a second chance. Of course moving forward there would be zero tolerance for any further issues.

Here’s the real story. Huggins from WVU orchestrated this whole thing. Hughley gets kicked off the team, WVU fixes his issues and he transfers to WVU.
Speaking of thuggins, boy how all that Tshibwe crap was swept under the carpet. There really should be a thorough investigation into that BS. It was a form of human trafficking with Konate and Tshibwe. Totally ridiculous

Yeah, I would. I’d be less disappointed in losing either of those guys for what might be the rest of the season than I am about losing Hugley for potentially the rest of the year.

But I think that if the facts (as we know them) were identical just with a different player involved, I’d still be in favor of a path back. If the facts change, then my opinion might definitely be different.
No one was killed. No one was physically injured. No property was destroyed. No one ultimately will suffer a financial loss. The players involved socially interacted.

No one was killed. No one was physically injured. No property was destroyed. No one ultimately will suffer a financial loss. The players involved socially interacted.
That’s assuming, in part, that the girl’s car was recovered intact and undamaged. It hasn’t been reported either way, though since there wasn’t any damage reported to the car in the public documents, I’m assuming that there wasn’t any.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT