ADVERTISEMENT

I couldn't be happier for Florida State

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I dont even consider them an ACC member. They acted like middle school drama queens this summer and they got what they deserve. I rooted hard for this outcome. I dont care 1 but if this hurts the ACC. We are losing teams eventually anyway. Its nobody's fault but Mike Norvell's for playing Jordan Travis against a 3-7 FCS. He shouldn't have played. Period. If you schedule a game like that that late in the year, you cant play guys who you cant afford to lose. If the game is close in the 2nd Half, put them in.

Why is Norvell not catching any heat? Jordan Travis playing vs North Alabama is insane to me.

Reactions: pittmeister
I dont even consider them an ACC member. They acted like middle school drama queens this summer and they got what they deserve. I rooted hard for this outcome. I dont care 1 but if this hurts the ACC. We are losing teams eventually anyway. Its nobody's fault but Mike Norvell's for playing Jordan Travis against a 3-7 FCS. He shouldn't have played. Period. If you schedule a game like that that late in the year, you cant play guys who you cant afford to lose. If the game is close in the 2nd Half, put them in.

Why is Norvell not catching any heat? Jordan Travis playing vs North Alabama is insane to me.
Because absolutely every coach in America would have their starting QB in the game in that situation.

Did Milroe play against UT-Chattanooga?

Because absolutely every coach in America would have their starting QB in the game in that situation.

Did Milroe play against UT-Chattanooga?

Do you realize how stupid football coaches are? If Pitt is 10-0 and for some reason, we play RMU in Week 11 and Nate Yarnell is having a magical year, YOU DONT PLAY HIM VS RMU

Do you realize how stupid football coaches are? If Pitt is 10-0 and for some reason, we play RMU in Week 11 and Nate Yarnell is having a magical year, YOU DONT PLAY HIM VS RMU
Then he gets hurt.

Dude could get hurt walking to class.

Players want to play. Especially college guys who can cash in on individual awards. Should Narduzzi have sat Pickett against RI, or whoever the hell that was they put up 77 on back in 2021?

Reactions: BFo8

You certainly on a subject matter expert on insanity.

Then he gets hurt.

Players want to play. Especially college guys who can cash in on individual awards. Should Narduzzi have sat Pickett against RI, or whoever the hell that was they put up 77 on back in 2021?
Can you imagine not playing a senior QB like Travis, who has already been through a ton within your program, on his senior day?

Then he gets hurt.

Early in the season, you dont know what your season is going to be and you need to establish a rhythm and gain confidence. That said, I wouldn't play the most irreplaceable guys more than 1 or 2 quarters in an early season game like that.

Point being, ACC was denigrated and pissed on today. For those of you reveling in FSU being screwed, recognize that Pitt shares in that humiliation.

Nope. Mike Norvell was. Not the ACC. Dude is a moron. His offense is Iowa without Travis. With Travis, they are in, no question. They'd be the 3 seed.

Can you imagine not playing a senior QB like Travis, who has already been through a ton within your program, on his senior day?

If its so important that you need to risk injury so a kid can play on senior day, then have senior day for another game. Lots of teams are doing that now including Pitt football and basketball

Exactly.

With amis Winston (wearing your jersey) & the 2013 Champs in the house...

I think any QB would want to go show out until the game is easily put away

Exactly.

Its not his decision. He's a pro athlete. He has value beyond senior night. He shouldn't have played vs North Alabama. Maybe put him in in the 4th to hand it off once and then take him out for a standing O.

If he got hurt walking to class SMF would bitch that he isn't taking all his classes on line. If he got hurt at practice SMF would bitch that he's too important for something as trivial as practice.

Well, sort of. These guys are pros. I would ask why he is going to class at all. Just give them an A and move on. Lets not pretend that school matters for these kids. That said, playing in a football game is probably something close to a million times more risky than walking to class.

Point being, ACC was denigrated and pissed on today. For those of you reveling in FSU being screwed, recognize that Pitt shares in that humiliation.
I think it's worse than that, essentially the ACC was neutered today...even Cincy got in two years ago...

FSU has a legitimate gripe. Since when did the CFP start factoring individual player injuries into the selection process? They cited that Travis’s loss no longer made them a dynamic offense. They beat Louisville with the 3rd stringer and Rodemaker will be back for the bowl game. It’s a team sport and it’s a shame the committee thought of it this way and made the public statement as well. FSU strength of schedule is ranked 105 which is second worst of schools in top 15.

That said, the ACC has a clear identity crisis on its hands and no hope to fixing it anytime soon. Playoff expansion can’t come soon enough, but I wouldn’t count on any more than 1 team from the ACC getting into that mix. I don’t know after this season if we can say we are on par with the Big 12 even.

I think it's worse than that, essentially the ACC was neutered today...even Cincy got in two years ago...

I am going to scream if I hear this again! That Cincy's team's ONLY competition was an 11-1 ND team that they beat in South Bend. Had they beaten Ball State instead of ND and ND lost to another top team, then Cincy wouldn't have made it. It was the perfect storm. A down year for the top teams and they won in S.B.

Exactly.

Norvell just released a statement and in it, he says something like is he not supposed to play a kid on Senior Night for fear of injury. YES you idiot!!! You are playing North Effing Alabama!!! Have Senior Night for Syracuse the week before. Your job is to win and keep players healthy and you shit the bed. A total moron. Hope it was worth the risk playing him and those memories he made on Senior Night were worth it

If he got hurt walking to class SMF would bitch that he isn't taking all his classes on line. If he got hurt at practice SMF would bitch that he's too important for something as trivial as practice.
" PRACTICE! PEACTICE!! "
Allen Iverson would have listened to SMF
and definitely sat him. "it's not a game,
it's practice, man."

This has absolutely nothing to do with Travis being injured. That was just the best excuse they could come up with. They just didn't want FSU/ACC. All this does is justify FSUs tantrum about the ACC and they'll surely make this part of their legal argument when they leave. For all we know, FSU was in on this and they're playing the long game.

To see how ridiculous that excuse was, apply the same logic to any other sport at any level and think about how absurd it sounds. Guess the Steelers won't be eligible for the playoffs unless Kenny comes back lol. (Yeah I know the Steelers blow).

Reactions: 303vND
And they were down 13-0 because they arent that good. We coulda beaten them. But, no, I wait till half. You have to be able to beat a team on the level of a top PSAC team without your most important players.
Well they won by 45 with a backup, so there's that.

We could have beat them (not really, though). Maryland could have beaten Michigan. Auburn, South Florida, and Arkansas could have beaten Alabama. TCU and Houston could have beaten Texas. What's the difference?

This has absolutely nothing to do with Travis being injured. That was just the best excuse they could come up with. They just didn't want FSU/ACC. All this does is justify FSUs tantrum about the ACC and they'll surely make this part of their legal argument when they leave. For all we know, FSU was in on this and they're playing the long game.

To see how ridiculous that excuse was, apply the same logic to any other sport at any level and think about how absurd it sounds. Guess the Steelers won't be eligible for the playoffs unless Kenny comes back lol. (Yeah I know the Steelers blow).

There are only 2 mainstream sports that do not have an objective measure to make the postseason. College football and basketball. And College basketball absolutely take injuries into account. Moreso after they gave Cincy the #1 seed without Kenyon Martin and they lost (in Pittsburgh) in Round 2. That set off a firestorm. When Brandin Knight was hurt in the BET, the committee kept in communication with Pitt about his health. Now, if you are Pitt, you need to lie if necessary but he actually wasnt hurt that bad.

FSU was 4th. Texas was 7th. Alabama 8th. Had Travis been healthy and they beat Florida and Lou rather easily, they would have 1 million percent been in. I have dogged FSU all week but there's no way they were leaving out a 13-0 ACC Champ with Travis. They would have been #3. I would have put Texas in at #4 but they would have done Bama because you cant leave the SEC out. Their counter to "Texas beat Bama" would have been Alabama had a better overall resume and tougher schedule and the pick isnt based on 1 game.

There are only 2 mainstream sports that do not have an objective measure to make the postseason. College football and basketball. And College basketball absolutely take injuries into account. Moreso after they gave Cincy the #1 seed without Kenyon Martin and they lost (in Pittsburgh) in Round 2. That set off a firestorm.

FSU was 4th. Texas was 7th. Alabama 8th. Had Travis been healthy and they beat Florida and Lou rather easily, they would have 1 million percent been in. I have dogged FSU all week but there's no way they were leaving out a 13-0 ACC Champ with Travis. They would have been #3. I would have put Texas in at #4 but they would have done Bama because you cant leave the SEC out. Their counter to "Texas beat Bama" would have been Alabama had a better overall resume and tougher schedule and the pick isnt based on 1 game.
FSU won the ACC, if this is basketball, their dancing even if all he starters get the mumps the day before the selection. Point being, this is absurd even for NCAA basketball.

FSU won the ACC, if this is basketball, their dancing even if all he starters get the mumps the day before the selection. Point being, this is absurd even for NCAA basketball.

Are you really that stupid? Why do you think that is? The NCAA runs the NCAA Basketball Tournament and award auto bids. If FSU wins the ACCT and then kicks everyone off the team but the walk-ons, they are still in. If they go 34-1 but lose in the ACCT and then kick everyone off the team but the walk-ons, they wouldn't make it.

I am going to scream if I hear this again! That Cincy's team's ONLY competition was an 11-1 ND team that they beat in South Bend. Had they beaten Ball State instead of ND and ND lost to another top team, then Cincy wouldn't have made it. It was the perfect storm. A down year for the top teams and they won in S.B.
I agree with your statement. However what we have is essentially B10 vs Sec ( with two incoming teams being selected.) ACC is now second tier... A message was sent to the ACC today....The die has been cast.

Are you really that stupid? Why do you think that is? The NCAA runs the NCAA Basketball Tournament and award auto bids. If FSU wins the ACCT and then kicks everyone off the team but the walk-ons, they are still in. If they go 34-1 but lose in the ACCT and then kick everyone off the team but the walk-ons, they wouldn't make it.
Exactly my point. Thanks for playing.

I said apply this logic anywhere else and it's absurd. You just applied it to hoops and it was....absurd. It wouldn't or couldn't happen even in NCAA basketball. Because there is the objectivity of auto bids. Does Michigan get left out if their QB or RB got hurt? Absolutely not. Washington? No. Bama. Nope.

I agree with your statement. However what we have is essentially B10 vs Sec ( with two incoming teams being selected.) ACC is now second tier... A message was sent to the ACC today....The die has been cast.

Nothing done today proves or disproves any of that. We know its a B10/SEC show from now on. We know every non-B10/SEC member would leave for those leagues if they could. This is about a team with an Iowa offense without their QB. That's it.

You think they are more humiliated by Fl State not getting in the playoff or the way they played and coached this season?

They were over rated from the beginning for me (Louisville too). But the committee had them there. And no way the later season games don’t weigh more in their minds.

Last edited:
Norvell just released a statement and in it, he says something like is he not supposed to play a kid on Senior Night for fear of injury. YES you idiot!!! You are playing North Effing Alabama!!! Have Senior Night for Syracuse the week before. Your job is to win and keep players healthy and you shit the bed. A total moron. Hope it was worth the risk playing him and those memories he made on Senior Night were worth it
That option is just plain idiotic. No coach puts his QB on the bench during the season unless he has a previous injury.

Reactions: mlvnsmly
That option is just plain idiotic. No coach puts his QB on the bench during the season unless he has a previous injury.

What purpose does it serve to risk injury? Can they beat an FCS team without him? Just because coaches do it, doesn't make it right. Coaches are really dumb people, mostly.

Yeah, it's like people can't see the correlation.
Pitt has historically been pretty good at humiliating itself without a lot of outside help. It doesn’t get much more humiliating than this season was.

I agree with others that this argument of SMF’s about FSU being negligent by playing it’s starting QB in the first half against a garbage opponent is an absurd one.

Pitt finished 3-9. What happened to Florida Staye today is irrelevant.

Not really.

1) Florida State is going to try that much harder to blow Pitt's conference up

2) Recruiting to the ACC just got more difficult, as this is just one more disrespect arrow in the quiver for the SEC and BIG coaches

Not really.

1) Florida State is going to try that much harder to blow Pitt's conference up

2) Recruiting to the ACC just got more difficult, as this is just one more disrespect arrow in the quiver for the SEC and BIG coaches
Disagree with (2). FSU's season will have recruits and transfers lining up. They have never had trouble in that area even when the aren't at their best. They needed to see that Norvell is the man and the Noles were actually for real again. They are.

Recruiting to the ACC schools outside of FSU, Clemson and Miami has always been difficult. It's a third rate football conference.

Disagree with (2). FSU's season will have recruits and transfers lining up. They have never had trouble in that area even when the aren't at their best. They needed to see that Norvell is the man and the Noles were actually for real again. They are.

Recruiting to the ACC schools outside of FSU, Clemson and Miami has always been difficult. It's a third rate football conference.

I'm talking about it from the Pitt perspective, though. You don't think this is one more talking point the BIG and SEC coaches are going to use when convincing a recruit to come to a "real" conference? I'd be shocked if there is no effect whatsoever. I'm not saying it wasn't already difficult; I'm just saying this could only make it worse, one would think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT