ADVERTISEMENT

The end of southern football dominance

It is not....this is how they are dividing the census information. According to this...Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia are also in the south and no one in those states would consider themselves southerners.
Never mind the mason-dixon line lol. Definitely no confederate flags in WV either.

Reactions: NCPitt
What the? So if I understand you correctly, you are sayin that college football is better in the south because they have a larger black population of former slaves?

It isnt hard to understand. A population was brought here against their will. Most stayed in the south after the civil war. A large amount of their descendents are still in the south. Football has become a huge part of the culture in the south. When you add millions of people to a population and those people take an interest in something, it is going to improve that thing.

If the top 12 teams were put into the playoffs this past year it would be:

Michigan, Washington, Texas, Georgia, Bama, Oregon, FSU, Missouri, Ohio State, Louisville, Arizona, Penn State.

8 of the 12 would be non-southern teams.
Seems like 5 of 12 would be non-southern teams in that list.

Reactions: FireballZ
Never mind the mason-dixon line lol. Definitely no confederate flags in WV either.
None of those states are southern states and I have see Confederate flags in Alaska. It does not make it a southern school. It does however make the person flying it recognizable as someone who supports a losing effort.
uh, they are both in the SEC...this is what is meant by Southern but you already know that........btw, States don't fight, people do....Kentucky (slave state) never left the Union but had a significant portion of their population fight for the Confederacy...Likewise the Confederacy considered Missouri (slave state) its 12th state even though it also remained legislatively part of the union with a third of its fighting men going with the confederacy...see, not is all lost, you learned something today..
you can’t be serious in saying a school is in the south if they belong to the SEC. REALLY?

None of those states are southern states and I have see Confederate flags in Alaska. It does not make it a southern school. It does however make the person flying it recognizable as someone who supports a losing effort.

you can’t be serious in saying a school is in the south if they belong to the SEC. REALLY?
you do not think Missouri historically leans South?..hahaha. Not a big Mark Twain fan, eh? Not sure what Alaska has to do with anything but hey its your waste of a dime...

I guess the south has to get used to an even playing field.
What about the higher academic standards we heard ya'll say you had over these decades, I guess that was a complete fabrication, since money is your excuse for lack of good teams. I know, your icons, JoPa and Woody Hayes were all about academia, the south was left with Bear Bryant, Vince Dooly, Jackie Sherrill and such....

Bro, Kentucky is a southern state. Ever been there? It is culturally south, geographically south, and politically south. I remember eating at Waffle House the morning after the Kent State debacle and the waitress was like "Hi, what can I get yall" in a deep southern twang. I was thinking you live like 20 miles from Ohio.

Missouri is a better debate. It borders very north Iowa and very south Arkansas. Westover, Missouri is closer to Calgary, Alberta than Miami. But then you have Cooter, Missouri (and is that not the most southern name of town ever) which is 1 hour from Memphis. Being that Missouri plays in the SEC and since they were a slave state and due to the setting of the show Ozark, I consider them a southern state.

What about the higher academic standards we heard ya'll say you had over these decades, I guess that was a complete fabrication, since money is your excuse for lack of good teams. I know, your icons, JoPa and Woody Hayes were all about academia, the south was left with Bear Bryant, Vince Dooly, Jackie Sherrill and such....
I don’t recall anyone saying anything about academics.

Bro, Kentucky is a southern state. Ever been there? It is culturally south, geographically south, and politically south. I remember eating at Waffle House the morning after the Kent State debacle and the waitress was like "Hi, what can I get yall" in a deep southern twang. I was thinking you live like 20 miles from Ohio.

Missouri is a better debate. It borders very north Iowa and very south Arkansas. Westover, Missouri is closer to Calgary, Alberta than Miami. But then you have Cooter, Missouri (and is that not the most southern name of town ever) which is 1 hour from Memphis. Being that Missouri plays in the SEC and since they were a slave state and due to the setting of the show Ozark, I consider them a southern state.
Good for you but you are wrong.

I know people from Kentucky and Missouri....they do not consider themselves "southerners". History does not consider them southerners either. You are basing it off a football conference?....so you believe Stanford is an Atlantic Coast team now?

Interesting.
The majority of Kentucky considers itself a southern state. Culturally speaking, bluegrass music was literally made popular in this state. This is the home of:

Bill Monroe
Ricky Skaggs
Chris Stapelton
Dwight Yoakum
Loretta Lynn
The Judds
Keith Whitley
Montgomery Gentry
Patty Lovelass
Crystal Gayle
etc etc etc

Reactions: Dan1911
The majority of Kentucky considers itself a southern state. Culturally speaking, bluegrass music was literally made popular in this state. This is the home of:

Bill Monroe
Ricky Skaggs
Chris Stapelton
Dwight Yoakum
Loretta Lynn
The Judds
Keith Whitley
Montgomery Gentry
Patty Lovelass
Crystal Gayle
etc etc etc
Appalachia culture is definitely different from “southern” culture. This is why people consider states like Kentucky and West Virginia NOT to be southern states. If I may, I would add Tyler Childers to your list as well.

They say the Philadelphia is the northern most southern city, but there is no way Philadelphia is a southern city (home of the Union League, founded by Quakers, diverse ethnic population).

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Appalachia culture is definitely different from “southern” culture. This is why people consider states like Kentucky and West Virginia NOT to be southern states. If I may, I would add Tyler Childers to your list as well.

They say the Philadelphia is the northern most southern city, but there is no way Philadelphia is a southern city (home of the Union League, founded by Quakers, diverse ethnic population).
Who is “they” that says that about Philadelphia? It’s nothing like Richmond, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, etc.
Living in the South for 20 years you begin to realize that you really don’t arrive in the South until about Richmond. Marylanders, who love to talk about how they’re “technically” Southern are really more like New Englanders. Same goes for Northern Virginians.
As for your statement above, SMF is 100% correct about Kentucky. And while you were correct about Philadelphia not being a Southern city, you demonstrated your ignorance of the South by suggesting that it does not have a “diverse ethnic population.” It’s pretty clear that you haven’t spent much time here other than maybe just passing through or on vacation.

Who is “they” that says that about Philadelphia? It’s nothing like Richmond, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, etc.
Living in the South for 20 years you begin to realize that you really don’t arrive in the South until about Richmond. Marylanders, who love to talk about how they’re “technically” Southern are really more like New Englanders. Same goes for Northern Virginians.
As for your statement above, SMF is 100% correct about Kentucky. And while you were correct about Philadelphia not being a Southern city, you demonstrated your ignorance of the South by suggesting that it does not have a “diverse ethnic population.” It’s pretty clear that you haven’t spent much time here other than maybe just passing through or on vacation.
Who said the south does not have a diverse ethnic population? I was referring to Philadelphia. "They" is the university of Pennsylvania who did a study on linguistics and migration of people from the south to the north to Philadelphia's which is fascinating.

I am sure many people in Kentucky consider themselves closer to "southerners". I know people in Maryland who consider themselves southern....it doesn't make it so. Atlanta and Charlotte have turned into "transplant" cities who probably have more of a northern influence then southern....but they are not northern cities. In the end, we are debating if Kentucky is the south in regards to football so we can probably split it down the middle and say UK is the south and Louisville is the north.

Who said the south does not have a diverse ethnic population? I was referring to Philadelphia. "They" is the university of Pennsylvania who did a study on linguistics and migration of people from the south to the north to Philadelphia's which is fascinating.

I am sure many people in Kentucky consider themselves closer to "southerners". I know people in Maryland who consider themselves southern....it doesn't make it so. Atlanta and Charlotte have turned into "transplant" cities who probably have more of a northern influence then southern....but they are not northern cities. In the end, we are debating if Kentucky is the south in regards to football so we can probably split it down the middle and say UK is the south and Louisville is the north.
What aspects of Louisville make you think it is "North"?

Is Louisville South or North

I consider WV a southern state. Maryland - no. Delaware - no. Virginia is tough because Northern Virginia is very much northern culturally but Southern Virginia is very much southern. Overall, I'd have to say its a southern state though. You may want to change your categories to Deep South and Mid-South.

You cited “diverse ethnic population” as a reason Philadelphia is not Southern. Read what you wrote.
As far as Charlotte and Atlanta go, yes, they both have a lot of transplants who enjoy segregating themselves in elite neighborhoods such as Cotswold and Dilworth in Charlotte and Buckhead in Atlanta. All the while bitching about the way people do things in those cities. Both are unmistakably Southern.

Dude just keeps throwing out the chum, and the feeding frenzy continues.
I know....I wish he would keep to the point about the college landscape changing because of NIL and the transfer portal but he wants to debate me on the geography of the United Sates, the civil war, and slaves being great football players.

At the risk of this thread getting political, the irony is that a very large reason why the south has great college football is due to the historical effects of slavery. Most emancipated slaves stayed in the south and built communities. Their descendents, along with basically everyone in the south, took a liking to football when that game got big. The result is that you have a large talent pool in many southern states.
You don't have to speak in tongues, we get it. Black athletes generally excel over whites, at least in physical skill sports. It is why back in the day, a Pitt can go down and run over Georgia 27-3 or USC or ND could be Alabama, because they were too busy recruiting crackers. It is why the Walter Payton's, Jerry Rice's, Robert Brazile's, John Stallworth's, Willie Davis's ended up where they did instead of Alabama or LSU or Tennessee or Florida. It is why Jackson State and Grambling have more NFL HOFers than Florida and Auburn.

You don't have to speak in tongues, we get it. Black athletes generally excel over whites, at least in physical skill sports. It is why back in the day, a Pitt can go down and run over Georgia 27-3 or USC or ND could be Alabama, because they were too busy recruiting crackers. It is why the Walter Payton's, Jerry Rice's, Robert Brazile's, John Stallworth's, Willie Davis's ended up where they did instead of Alabama or LSU or Tennessee or Florida. It is why Jackson State and Grambling have more NFL HOFers than Florida and Auburn.

Not exactly but on your 2nd point, I never really thought about that. NFL HOF'ers by HBCU's compared with SEC is crazy. Counting Texas and Oklahoma, there are 36 NFL HOFers from SEC schools and 35 from HBCUs. Mind-blowing right there.

It is not....this is how they are dividing the census information. According to this...Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia are also in the south and no one in those states would consider themselves southerners.
WV would!

As someone who knows, most of Appalachia is certainly "southern". I contend in West Virginia your "Mason Dixon" line is Rt 50. It runs from Parkersburg, through Clarksburg to about just south of Deep Creek Maryland. Everything north is really "yankee". This includes Morgantown and Wheeling. Clarksburg and south is Dixie. It is even noticeable in the dialect.

WOW.

As someone who knows, most of Appalachia is certainly "southern". I contend in West Virginia your "Mason Dixon" line is Rt 50. It runs from Parkersburg, through Clarksburg to about just south of Deep Creek Maryland. Everything north is really "yankee". This includes Morgantown and Wheeling. Clarksburg and south is Dixie. It is even noticeable in the dialect.

Morgantown is probably more of a "northern" culture than Fayette County and Greene County. Once you get a little ways outside of Morgantown, you might as well be in Mississippi

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT