ADVERTISEMENT

The end of southern football dominance

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
The national championship was a bellwether of what college football should expect in the future. Southern football dominance is ending. Two northern schools played for the championship and this reflects the first year that NIL funds and the transfer portal have strongly effected rosters. Players that would be forced to sit on the bench for three years at southern schools are quickly transferring to northern schools. NIL funds make the "good 'ol boy" pay schemes down south moot and created an equal playing field for teams willing to pay. Even Nick Saban can see this and has moved on. Last year he was complaining about it, this year he is gone. I guess the south has to get used to an even playing field.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The national championship was a bellwether of what college football should expect in the future. Southern football dominance is ending. Two northern schools played for the championship and this reflects the first year that NIL funds and the transfer portal have strongly effected rosters. Players that would be forced to sit on the bench for three years at southern schools are quickly transferring to northern schools. NIL funds make the "good 'ol boy" pay schemes down south moot and created an equal playing field for teams willing to pay. Even Nick Saban can see this and has moved on. Last year he was complaining about it, this year he is gone. I guess the south has to get used to an even playing field.
One year. We will see.
The best players largely come from the South and most of the contenders come from the South.

trolling.ashx

I totally do not see NIL being a great equalizer like some are claiming. Perhaps the transfer rule changes will help and has already helped to spread talent out, especially with the fact that we are as a society are so much more mobile and can be connected to other parts of the country in comparison to say even 15 years ago (and thus the talent from the south may now be more interested in considering a school from up north). I see the transfer rule as a bigger deal than NIL.

A million percent wrong. In fact, you will see MORE southern dominance in a 12 team playoff as your OSU and Michigan's will lose in earlier rounds now to SEC #2, #3, #4.

Georgia was probably the best team this year but lost a close game to Bama. Texas wasnt very good but they won a very weak Big 12 and beat Bama when Bama was struggling so you couldn't leave them out. So they got in on something of a technicality and were an easy matchup for Washington.

The 3 best teams were:

1. Georgia (didnt get in)
2. Alabama (lost in OT)
3. Michigan
4. Washington

Congratulations to Michigan for beating Alabama. I think Alabama is slightly better but Michigan got it done.

I would expect the National Championship game to be between 2 SEC teams more often than not, now. If Ohio State and Michigan cant upset the SEC teams, who else is going to make it? Penn State? No. Washington? No. Oregon? No. USC? No.

Last edited:
Wishful thinking.

UGA was likely still the best team in the country and Alabama shot itself in the foot in the playoff game.

It was nice having a change this year with two northern teams but honestly as for the rest..?…

Nick Saban is 72 and doesn't need this crap anymore. Don't be too quick to announce the end of Southern dominance. The biggest bulk of good players is still there and that southern money is still fanatical.

This is almost as funny as some of your ShoeCobbler posts.

Reactions: Parkview57
The national championship was a bellwether of what college football .... the team that one it all was from a conference that had only one in the last 20+ years and barely survived against a below average Alabama team in OT....They probably would have gotten beaten by the runner-up in the SEC had they made the cfp...I'd say less of a bellwether and more of an outlier.

Reactions: 303vND
If the top 12 teams were put into the playoffs this past year it would be:

Michigan, Washington, Texas, Georgia, Bama, Oregon, FSU, Missouri, Ohio State, Louisville, Arizona, Penn State.

8 of the 12 would be non-southern teams.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The national championship was a bellwether of what college football .... the team that one it all was from a conference that had only one in the last 20+ years and barely survived against a below average Alabama team in OT....They probably would have gotten beaten by the runner-up in the SEC had they made the cfp...I'd say less of a bellwether and more of an outlier.
You are correct but NIL and the transfer rule are the catalyst that is rapidly changing college football.

Michigan, Washington, Texas, Georgia, Bama, Oregon, FSU, Missouri, Ohio State, Louisville, Arizona, Penn State.

yes, true (I count 7) ...not sure what that has to do with impending lack of Southern dominance...these teams play each other and build up loses against each other and are not ranked high because of it...has nothing to do with the cream that eventually rises to the top...said cream significantly better than the Sandusky cream coming in from State College...

Wrong

1 Mich vs 8 Oregon/ 9 Missouri

4 Alabama vs 5 FSU/12 Liberty

2 Washington vs 7 Ohio St/10 Penn St

3 Texas vs 6 Georgia/11 Mississippi

Only 5 of the 12 are northern teams. Washington, Oregon, Mich, PSU, OSU and there's no way the B10 gets 5 in next year. Gonna be:

SEC 5
B10 3
ACC 1
B12 1
G5 1
ND 1

A million percent wrong. In fact, you will see MORE southern dominance in a 12 team playoff as your OSU and Michigan's will lose in earlier rounds now to SEC #2, #3, #4.

Georgia was probably the best team this year but lost a close game to Bama. Texas wasnt very good but they won a very weak Big 12 and beat Bama when Bama was struggling so you couldn't leave them out. So they got in on something of a technicality and were an easy matchup for Washington.

The 3 best teams were:

2. Alabama (lost in OT)
3. Michigan
4. Washington

Congratulations to Michigan for beating Alabama. I think Alabama is slightly better but Michigan got it done.

I would expect the National Championship game to be between 2 SEC teams more often than not, now. If Ohio State and Michigan cant upset the SEC teams, who else is going to make it? Penn State? No. Washington? No. Oregon? No. USC? No.
Agree that UGA was likely #1 and would have liked to have seen them play Michigan in the champ game.

I don't know how anyone could say or believe that Alabama was better than Michigan, although if anyone would, it would be you. It took a Michigan fumble and a couple of special teams gaffes for Bama to even make that a game. Michigan physically manhandled them and pushed them around in the trenches all night. Michigan was the superior team at every position on the field and in every facet but special teams. This was not Saban's typical Bama team--not as good in the trenches, in the secondary and a QB that was substandard by their meaure. All that said, they were still the second best team in this CFP.

Michigan's biggest advantage this season and what made them different from the last couple of CFP teams they've had was they had a bunch of guys come back who could have moved on after last year. They were an older, more mature, more physical, more experienced team than the others in the CFP by today's standards. And they weren't built from a bunch of transfers, they had program guys who were there with the same coaching staff for 4-5 years.

Wrong

1 Mich vs 8 Oregon/ 9 Missouri

4 Alabama vs 5 FSU/12 Liberty

2 Washington vs 7 Ohio St/10 Penn St

3 Texas vs 6 Georgia/11 Mississippi

Only 5 of the 12 are northern teams. Washington, Oregon, Mich, PSU, OSU and there's no way the B10 gets 5 in next year. Gonna be:

SEC 5
B10 3
ACC 1
B12 1
G5 1
ND 1
SEC 3 (MISSOURI)
B10 3
ACC 2 (1 NORTHERN SCHOOL)
BIG 12 1 (WEST)
G5 1 (northern school)
IND 1 (ND)
8 OF 12 WILL BE NORTHERN SCHOOLS NEXT YEAR....AGAIN

Honestly, NIL and the transfer portal should help with the southern dominance. It spreads the talent among the top teams out. Some guys who would have otherwise went to Alabama, for example, might now end up at Ole Miss. So the door is at least open for Michigan, USC, Oregon, etc. if the stars align. And Ohio State has always been in that conversation. ND and Penn State.... eh, maybe if they get the right QB one year.

I mean, unless a high NIL school like Texas emerges as the new Alabama. But I honestly don't think we'll see that again.

It is a safe bet to say an SEC team will win the championship the large majority of the time. The overall depth that they have will be a deciding factor.

Honestly, NIL and the transfer portal should help with the southern dominance. It spreads the talent among the top teams out. Some guys who would have otherwise went to Alabama, for example, might now end up at Ole Miss. So the door is at least open for Michigan, USC, Oregon, etc. if the stars align. And Ohio State has always been in that conversation. ND and Penn State.... eh, maybe if they get the right QB one year.

I mean, unless a high NIL school like Texas emerges as the new Alabama. But I honestly don't think we'll see that again.
You don't think that dilutes the product at all? I mean Bama and GA dominated recruiting....now most of their players leave after 1 year to play for another team.

Missouri and Kentucky both fought for the Union.

Both were slave states. Kentucky was basically neutral but a state deeply divided between pro-Union and pro-Confederacy. Missouri had a Union and Confederate government and was also a state divided. It had citizens on each side.

All this said, Missouri is in the SEC and Kentucky is geographically south. Both Mizzou and Louisville are southern schools in my eyes regardless of Civil War history.

Yes the southern bench warmers are transferring because they are not good enough to play down there, the better players are playing, so, what’s your point

Yes the southern bench warmers are transferring because they are not good enough to play down there, the better players are playing, so, what’s your point
I am saying that very good players are transferring instead of "developing" in the systems of Bama or GA. They are losing talent.

Both were slave states. Kentucky was basically neutral but a state deeply divided between pro-Union and pro-Confederacy. Missouri had a Union and Confederate government and was also a state divided. It had citizens on each side.

All this said, Missouri is in the SEC and Kentucky is geographically south. Both Mizzou and Louisville are southern schools in my eyes regardless of Civil War history.
I know people from Kentucky and Missouri....they do not consider themselves "southerners". History does not consider them southerners either. You are basing it off a football conference?....so you believe Stanford is an Atlantic Coast team now?

Interesting.

Looked at the current recruiting rankings. 17 of the top 25 teams would be fighting for the gray team in the Civil War.

Looked at the current recruiting rankings. 17 of the top 25 teams would be fighting for the gray team in the Civil War.

At the risk of this thread getting political, the irony is that a very large reason why the south has great college football is due to the historical effects of slavery. Most emancipated slaves stayed in the south and built communities. Their descendents, along with basically everyone in the south, took a liking to football when that game got big. The result is that you have a large talent pool in many southern states.

College football is a religion in the South. Pro football is an afterthought. Little else matters. Sunday is for church and rehashing Saturdays result.

At the risk of this thread getting political, the irony is that a very large reason why the south has great college football is due to the historical effects of slavery. Most emancipated slaves stayed in the south and built communities. Their descendents, along with basically everyone in the south, took a liking to football when that game got big. The result is that you have a large talent pool in many southern states.
What the? So if I understand you correctly, you are sayin that college football is better in the south because they have a larger black population of former slaves?

Missouri and Kentucky both fought for the Union.
uh, they are both in the SEC...this is what is meant by Southern but you already know that........btw, States don't fight, people do....Kentucky (slave state) never left the Union but had a significant portion of their population fight for the Confederacy...Likewise the Confederacy considered Missouri (slave state) its 12th state even though it also remained legislatively part of the union with a third of its fighting men going with the confederacy...see, not is all lost, you learned something today..

Reactions: Parkview57

The 3 best teams were:

2. Alabama (lost in OT)
3. Michigan
4. Washington

Remind me what Bama’s record was against playoff teams? But they’re #2..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT