ADVERTISEMENT

In November I said 4 ACC teams

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
And right now, only 3 are in. Almost guaranteed to get at least 4 (NC State/Pitt) and good chance at 5. Even an outside shot at 6. However, we are in unchartered waters here as we go into the ACC Tournament with at least a small chance the league only gets 3-4 teams in. SMF was right.

To the ACC's advantage, all the "bid stealers" are in the bottom half of the bracket. If seeds hold, the UNC/UVa winner will meet the NCSt/Clem winner to go to the Final. So you very well could have UNC vs Clemson (or VT if they beat NC St and Clemson) for a trip to the final. So Pitt fans need to hope UVa is in that final. I think UNC is playing Saturday night.

a
And right now, only 3 are in. Almost guaranteed to get at least 4 (NC State/Pitt) and good chance at 5. Even an outside shot at 6. However, we are in unchartered waters here as we go into the ACC Tournament with at least a small chance the league only gets 3-4 teams in. SMF was right.

To the ACC's advantage, all the "bid stealers" are in the bottom half of the bracket. If seeds hold, the UNC/UVa winner will meet the NCSt/Clem winner to go to the Final. So you very well could have UNC vs Clemson (or VT if they beat NC St and Clemson) for a trip to the final. So Pitt fans need to hope UVa is in that final. I think UNC is playing Saturday night.
If the refs hadn’t blown the call in the Duke - UVA game, Pitt would be a 4 seed and UVA a 5 seed with Duke and Clemson as 2/3. That missed call made a tremendous difference in the brackets.

SMF wasn’t right.

The ACC, as defined by you, will only get 2 teams in. The conference within the conference will get the other 3 in. Therefore: you were way off per usual.

The title of this post should be SMF WAS WRONG and the CONFERENCE WITHIN THE CONFERENCE is the stuff simple Jack from tropic Thunder would come up with.

Reactions: PittED2001
Would you rather play GT with the winner playing Duke, BC with the winner playing Virginia, Wake/Syracuse with the winner playing Miami, or VT with the winner playing Clemson?

I feel like Duke is out least favorable second round opponent. I'd almost rather even play Miami again, because we just proved we can get outplayed to hell and back and still have a chance to beat them at the end.

And I think those first round opponents are somewhat interchangeable. Maybe not entirely.

SMF wasn’t right.

The ACC, as defined by you, will only get 2 teams in. The conference within the conference will get the other 3 in. Therefore: you were way off per usual.

The title of this post should be SMF WAS WRONG and the CONFERENCE WITHIN THE CONFERENCE is the stuff simple Jack from tropic Thunder would come up with.

The ACC 3 getting 2.

The ACC 12 getting 1, maybe 2-3.

I think we get 5 and probably 6. Definitely getting 4 for sure. I think NC State and Clemson are both the X factor unless UNC makes a run. I now think from what I'm seeing on the bracketology websites that Pitt wins Wednesday night they are in. I think if we don't et blown out by Duke we still get a bye.

a

If the refs hadn’t blown the call in the Duke - UVA game, Pitt would be a 4 seed and UVA a 5 seed with Duke and Clemson as 2/3. That missed call made a tremendous difference in the brackets.
I wouldn't have liked that...4 seed as a double bye and facing UVA next in a Must Win One Game scenario to get to the Big Dance.

• Wow
Reactions: ToddPA
3 blue bloods? UNC, Duke, and who?

UVa. They won a Natty. Not a true blue blood but Bennett might be the best coach in the country. His problem is he is a bad recruiter relative to the success he's had (similar to Dixon/Pitt). When he finally had NBA guys, he won it all. Duke, UNC, and UVa are going to make the NCAAT like 9 times in a 10 year period. So there arent as many bids available for ACC 12 teams.

UVa. They won a Natty. Not a true blue blood but Bennett might be the best coach in the country. His problem is he is a bad recruiter relative to the success he's had (similar to Dixon/Pitt). When he finally had NBA guys, he won it all. Duke, UNC, and UVa are going to make the NCAAT like 9 times in a 10 year period. So there arent as many bids available for ACC 12 teams.
Yeah he’s a bad recruiter. He’s only had a top 25 class 3/4 years since he won the natty. By why do any research or have any idea what you’re talking about when you can just completely make things up.

How they ended up getting and developing Deandre Hunter when Nova ignored him is another testament to his identification and development.

Reactions: TD_6082
Yeah he’s a bad recruiter. He’s only had a top 25 class 3/4 years since he won the natty. By why do any research or have any idea what you’re talking about when you can just completely make things up.

How they ended up getting and developing Deandre Hunter when Nova ignored him is another testament to his identification and development.

Relative to success. Pay attention. UVa has been one of the Top 5 programs the last 10 years and he isnt recruiting like that.

Relative to success. Pay attention. UVa has been one of the Top 5 programs the last 10 years and he isnt recruiting like that.
Recruiting is more then picking the top players regardless of fit. But as a self proclaimed guru, you know that.

And 3/4 top 25 classes is absolutely recruiting like that. You can’t be this willfully stupid

Recruiting is more then picking the top players regardless of fit. But as a self proclaimed guru, you know that.

And 3/4 top 25 classes is absolutely recruiting like that. You can’t be this willfully stupid

Alabama and Auburn recruit better because their coaches are better recruiters. Relative to coaching success, Bennett is a below average recruiter.

Alabama and Auburn recruit better because their coaches are better recruiters. Relative to coaching success, Bennett is a below average recruiter.
This is such an awfully stupid take, I know you can’t possibly truly believe it. He’s had 3 top 20 classes in the last 4 years. But you’ll continue to argue anything that doesn’t make even a little bit of sense.

Simple Jack SMF

It is time to schedule your colonoscopy.

This is such an awfully stupid take, I know you can’t possibly truly believe it. He’s had 3 top 20 classes in the last 4 years. But you’ll continue to argue anything that doesn’t make even a little bit of sense.

Simple Jack SMF
I'll add a few more thoughts. First, any player who imagines he's a OAD isn't going to pick Virginia. That player will want to play in an uptempo, freewheeling offense where he can start and showcase his skills. That isn't going to happen in Charlottesville. Frosh sit until they earn Coach Bennett's trust on the defensive end of the floor. Additionally, most "bigs" redshirt (Diakite, Huff, Salt, Caffaro, Shedrick, Traudt, etc.) regardless of the number of stars next to their name. That isn't an appealing prospect for McDonald's AAs. Second, covid really disrupted Coach Bennett's recruiting routines. Typically, offers are not extended to prospects until Coach Bennett has evaluated their play in person. As a result of the shutdown, a few recruiting mistakes happened. Attrition has been an issue. Finally, academics are always a concern. Not everyone is a fit, and Coach Bennett is pretty demanding in that area. (And Virginia doesn't have a NCCU across town where players can boost their GPAs.)
All that said, the last two recruiting classes have been very nice. Trevor Keels and T J Power notwithstanding, the staff identified the players they liked early and enjoyed reasonable success in pursuing them. It will be interesting to see how many Top 25 recruits have better collegiate careers than Ryan Dunn. In the end, true recruiting success should be measured by success on the court. If a program is winning at an elite level, then it is recruiting successfully.

I'll add a few more thoughts. First, any player who imagines he's a OAD isn't going to pick Virginia. That player will want to play in an uptempo, freewheeling offense where he can start and showcase his skills. That isn't going to happen in Charlottesville. Frosh sit until they earn Coach Bennett's trust on the defensive end of the floor. Additionally, most "bigs" redshirt (Diakite, Huff, Salt, Caffaro, Shedrick, Traudt, etc.) regardless of the number of stars next to their name. That isn't an appealing prospect for McDonald's AAs. Second, covid really disrupted Coach Bennett's recruiting routines. Typically, offers are not extended to prospects until Coach Bennett has evaluated their play in person. As a result of the shutdown, a few recruiting mistakes happened. Attrition has been an issue. Finally, academics are always a concern. Not everyone is a fit, and Coach Bennett is pretty demanding in that area. (And Virginia doesn't have a NCCU across town where players can boost their GPAs.)
All that said, the last two recruiting classes have been very nice. Trevor Keels and T J Power notwithstanding, the staff identified the players they liked early and enjoyed reasonable success in pursuing them. It will be interesting to see how many Top 25 recruits have better collegiate careers than Ryan Dunn. In the end, true recruiting success should be measured by success on the court. If a program is winning at an elite level, then it is recruiting successfully.

In the current environment, attrition is always going to be an issue. There are rumors of Shedrick leaving. I have no idea if there is anything to that or not.

Do Duke players really take some classes at North Carolina Central? I think I did hear that at some point.

In the current environment, attrition is always going to be an issue. There are rumors of Shedrick leaving. I have no idea if there is anything to that or not.
For the moment, it's a topic of speculation. Shedrick has not played in the last two games, and no real information about why has been forthcoming. After missing the Clemson game, Coach Bennett reportedly said that he didn't have a good practice. Whether he practiced poorly or couldn't practice remained unsaid. He will take his degree this spring, and he's in the McIntire School of Commerce so that's a pretty decent degree. He also suffered some injuries early in the season, and hadn't performed at the same level as he had in November. It is worth noting that on Senior Day, he had a huge grin on his face at the end of the game. It wasn't the sulky demeanor seen on those planning to transfer because they aren't playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT