ADVERTISEMENT

Isn't this the argument for playing a real OOC?

Deer Head

Scholarship
Aug 5, 2015
There are generally 2 conference wins built in plus 2 easy OOC games anyways. Thats 4 guarenteed wins unless you are really terrible. Only need 2 wins in the other 8 to make a bowl.

Pitt is never winning a NC in football. My expectations for the program is have an aligning of the stars like this every 4-5 years. Hopefully win it every ten. Beat PSU or WVU as often as they beat us or better. Thats about it. Kinda like how Iowa or Michigan St. are. If we can be smart enough to have similar stability hopefully we can do that. Playing a real OOC schedule every year is generally worth it. 6-6 v. 8-4. No one notices.

There are generally 2 conference wins built in plus 2 easy OOC games anyways. Thats 4 guarenteed wins unless you are really terrible. Only need 2 wins in the other 8 to make a bowl.

Pitt is never winning a NC in football. My expectations for the program is have an aligning of the stars like this every 4-5 years. Hopefully win it every ten. Beat PSU or WVU as often as they beat us or better. Thats about it. Kinda like how Iowa or Michigan St. are. If we can be smart enough to have similar stability hopefully we can do that. Playing a real OOC schedule every year is generally worth it. 6-6 v. 8-4. No one notices.
I'd rather win 8 than 6, because that's two more weeks that I feel good vs. bad.

Yeah, how about enough mediocrity and quit being satisfied with being just kind of okay in a division that is winnable most years.

Reactions: TJOlsen
Why does losing to really good teams appeal to some people? I never go to the game to see the opponent. I went to the Oklahoma State game last year, totally depressing, I would of rather seen Albany than that.

LOL so you don't believe in challenging yourself?

What?? No one notices that difference? Casual fans might not, they're too worried about Le'Veon's Locker or Dan Letang's latest owie. But Pitt fans know the difference....acutely.

If they would of beaten 3 really crappy teams instead of losing to Penn State, ND and UCF they'd be 10-1 and in the top 10 right now, nobody would notice who they played.

And everyone would think Pitt is better than they really are. Many would think they would have a shot against Bama.

One reason 48-14 hurt so bad because Pitt ran up an unbeaten record against poor competition and everyone had inflated/unrealistic expectations of how good they were.

One reason 48-14 hurt so bad because Pitt ran up an unbeaten record against poor competition and everyone had inflated/unrealistic expectations of how good they were.
...and that was considered a great team in our glory days. The next 2 years we had teams that lost to top 10 teams and were considered disappointing and started the big collapse.

Its shocking that after 40 years of this crap that there are still idiots out there that think we should continue scheduling stupidly.

...and that was considered a great team in our glory days. The next 2 years we had teams that lost to top 10 teams and were considered disappointing and started the big collapse.

Its shocking that after 40 years of this crap that there are still idiots out there that think we should continue scheduling stupidly.
It’s shocking to me that some pitt fans still think playing an 8 game conference schedule in the coastal and 2 P5 ooc games is actually considered difficult

If they would of beaten 3 really crappy teams instead of losing to Penn State, ND and UCF they'd be 10-1 and in the top 10 right now, nobody would notice who they played.

I don’t think you can presume 10-1 if they played cupcakes instead of the tougher opponents.

It’s not an unreasonable argument to say that they were better prepared for tough games against teams like Syracuse, GT etc BECAUSE they played against PSU, UCF and ND

11/12/2018
Syracuse 55 W. Mich 42, Syracuse 55 UConn 21, Syracuse 55 Wagner 10, (Pitt 44 Syracuse 37)
Syracuse 12th in the country, Pitt Not Ranked

The voters in the Polls notice

1000 times this. And higher rankings means more national publicity, better game placement, and more over visibility which leads to more excitement on the recruiting trail.

It’s not an unreasonable argument to say that they were better prepared for tough games against teams like Syracuse, GT etc BECAUSE they played against PSU, UCF and ND

You don't gain much when you get blown out by better opponents. The Penn State and UCF losses did nothing to better prepare them. They competed against Notre Dame, you can take something away from that.

LOL so you don't believe in challenging yourself?
Not necessarily, If I can get to the head table through the back door or just because I know somebody, I won't refuse and say I'd rather earn it the hard way, I'll just take it.

And everyone would think Pitt is better than they really are. Many would think they would have a shot against Bama.
THAT'S A GOOD THING! Then more good recruits would be interested and it would become a self fulfilling prophecy, and more fans would say, hey let's go see Pitt, they are kicking butt this year.

You literally just described the primary objective of college football programs- to make people feel like you are better than others.

That's exactly what every other team is doing because they realize that unless you can make people think you are better than other teams- you never get a shot at beating "an Alabama".

Reactions: JSSTartan
It's what everyone else is doing so Pitt needs to level the playing field.
Be careful playing that card. Everyone else? Everyone else is consistently playing a 9 game conference schedule with another P5 game OOC and sometimes two. That’s 10 - 11 P5 games every year. Outside of the sec anyways.

You guys are crying about 10 P5 games. I couldn’t image the uproar if we played 11 like wvu.

Reactions: H2P 2003
You literally just described the primary objective of college football programs- to make people feel like you are better than others.

That's exactly what every other team is doing because they realize that unless you can make people think you are better than other teams- you never get a shot at beating "an Alabama".
CFB is FAKE, like Wrestling, be like Ric Flair, beat up some no name slugs and yell real loud and you'll be ranked, get fans, better recruits, because they think you are good, and build, "building character" by losing to tough teams gets you nowhere.

In Football the NCAA does not reward playing a tougher schedule like it does in hoops

As a fan I’m a bit conflicted on this issue. I want to see Pitt compete against the best teams. Im looking forward to the Clemson game

However the reality is that in FB as many pointed out winning is the only thing that’s noticed. The cuse was not penalized for scheduling and beating up cupcakes on the contrary they’ve been rewarded for that schedule

Having said that I’d like to see more balance. Pitt played three really touch teams in a short span and had GT in the middle

Had they had three tune up games to get their young QB some confidence perhaps they would have been Moore competitive like they were against ND. Confidence is just as important or more than playing tough competition

I do think what’s best for the program is probably one tough OOC game and the rest relatively easy wins.

Yo. This was already settled on the pay board. People overwhemingly sided with making the OOC schedules easier. We on the pay board decided WVU and three rent a victims a year. The years we play ND no WVU and three rent a victims. We know best we are on the pay board.....
Perhaps the pay board people should 'pay' more to Pitt in donations, because buying guaranteed soup can wins with no return visit is becoming an expensive proposition. I don't think Pitt looks to schedule high competitive OOC with tough road visits because we're masochistic. We do it at least in part because of cost.

CFB is FAKE, like Wrestling, be like Ric Flair, beat up some no name slugs and yell real loud and you'll be ranked, get fans, better recruits, because they think you are good, and build, "building character" by losing to tough teams gets you nowhere.

exactly. The jobbers of college football. Problem is the jobbers want more money these days to do the job. They realize it is a sellers market.

In Football the NCAA does not reward playing a tougher schedule like it does in hoops

As a fan I’m a bit conflicted on this issue. I want to see Pitt compete against the best teams. Im looking forward to the Clemson game

However the reality is that in FB as many pointed out winning is the only thing that’s noticed. The cuse was not penalized for scheduling and beating up cupcakes on the contrary they’ve been rewarded for that schedule

Having said that I’d like to see more balance. Pitt played three really touch teams in a short span and had GT in the middle

Had they had three tune up games to get their young QB some confidence perhaps they would have been Moore competitive like they were against ND. Confidence is just as important or more than playing tough competition

I do think what’s best for the program is probably one tough OOC game and the rest relatively easy wins.

Yes & no. Wash State most likely left out of playoffs do due their total joke of a schedule this year. But to play a schedule like we did is extreme.

Reactions: dave97
NCAA needs to work on making these schedules across P5 a little more uniform. Some conferences playing 8, the others playing 9. Some schools playing 11 P5 schools, others only playing 9. That’s stupid and it gives a reason for schools to schedule 3 glorified scrimmages to pad their record while other schools are actually playing a real game.

I have said this before, play WVU and 3 rent a win games in every year except when Pitt plays ND, FSU or Clemson.

If you want to play another P5 team make it Rutgers. Playing ND, Pedst and a power G5 team is basically keeping you from being perceived as you are let alone better than you are.

WI is perceived to be better than they really are because they are in the middle of not playing a P5 team OOC FOR 5 YEARS and they play in a terrible division. When they do play an actual power team they almost lose. That said, I would happily have a very mediocre Pitt team ranked in the preseason top 10 like Wisconsin was- they needed to lose multiple bad games to fall out of the top 25. That's what perception does for a program. Washington State and Syracuse are other examples this year.

Regarding the 9 P5 games, not all P5 games are the same- adding another game like Illinois, Rutgers, etc does nothing to more than adding a bottom level G5 game, imo.

Be careful playing that card. Everyone else? Everyone else is consistently playing a 9 game conference schedule with another P5 game OOC and sometimes two. That’s 10 - 11 P5 games every year. Outside of the sec anyways.

You guys are crying about 10 P5 games. I couldn’t image the uproar if we played 11 like wvu.

NCAA needs to work on making these schedules across P5 a little more uniform. Some conferences playing 8, the others playing 9. Some schools playing 11 P5 schools, others only playing 9. That’s stupid and it gives a reason for schools to schedule 3 glorified scrimmages to pad their record while other schools are actually playing a real game.
Absolutely. And why are Bama and Georgia playing 1AA games in November?

I think there should be a preseason non counting game in the last week of August for all teams. Play wherever or who ever you want for that, including FCS if you desire. Then 2 and 2 OOC against FBS only. Then conference schedule, etc.

Rich teams can still kinda buy easier schedules. But not totally. That at least makes the fruit the same if not exactly the same orchard.

Last edited:
Absolutely. And why are Bama and Georgia playing 1AA games in November?
In reality, everyone feels sorry for them and says that they deserve this break because they have it so tough in their league, so you can't win, they are deferred to in every way possible 110% of the time.

No. Because right now how exciting would it be if Pitt were say 9-2, ranked in the top 15, knowing we are playing for an ACC Championship and big bowl.

I have said this before, play WVU and 3 rent a win games in every year except when Pitt plays ND, FSU or Clemson.

If you want to play another P5 team make it Rutgers. Playing ND, Pedst and a power G5 team is basically keeping you from being perceived as you are let alone better than you are.

WI is perceived to be better than they really are because they are in the middle of not playing a P5 team OOC FOR 5 YEARS and they play in a terrible division. When they do play an actual power team they almost lose. That said, I would happily have a very mediocre Pitt team ranked in the preseason top 10 like Wisconsin was- they needed to lose multiple bad games to fall out of the top 25. That's what perception does for a program. Washington State and Syracuse are other examples this year.

Regarding the 9 P5 games, not all P5 games are the same- adding another game like Illinois, Rutgers, etc does nothing to more than adding a bottom level G5 game, imo.
We’ve gone back and forth on this and I just can’t stomach 2 or 3 scrimmages a year. That is 25% of the schedule playing games no one cares about. Can’t do it.

This year was a fluke because we caught ucf in some historic run. If they are an avg non P5 team, this conversation doesn’t exist.

Like I said, avoid these Florida schools, play a decent temple game where they’ll be ok but not on a 25 game win streak and voila, problem solved.

In 2020, we play Miami oh, Richmond and OU. We will literally be in October before we know if we have a team or not due to not having played a real team. Then we will all be complaining about a weak OOC schedule,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT