ADVERTISEMENT

Isn't this the argument for playing a real OOC?

Our football team needs a really easy schedule, and our basketball team needs a really hard schedule.
Our basketball team will always have an incredibly hard conference schedule, playing 8-10 games against ranked teams, just by being in the ACC.

For that reason, a hard OOC schedule is counterproductive.

Reactions: ScrantonicityIII
If we were 11 and 1 with non conference wins over Wyoming, San Jose State, and Eastern Washington (those were Washington State's three opponents) I am not so sure they would be ranked high enough to automatically be in the top 4 with a Clemson upset.

Right now, Washington State is #7. Say we switched places and they beat #2 Clemson. Does that mean they jump some combination of Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia or Michigan to get up to #4? I am not so sure. I worry a schedule that weak automatically disqualifies you, especially if you're not a blue blood.

I think what everyone agrees on is games like Oklahoma State make no sense.

At this point Id take my chances. What we know is Pitt has far less chance scheduling three legit P5 games each year like they did this year. They are not even in the discussion . Being 11 and 1 and missing out on the playoff would be great for the program.

Perhaps 5 years from now when the program is on solid footing, you tweak the schedule a bit to make it harder. As we've seen from ND a brutal schedule more often than not results in losses that makes the argument about deserving a playoff spot irrelevant.........

Reactions: joeydavid
When Pitt scheduled them, they had gone 15-23 over their past 3 seasons.

I guess that's a better indicators than all the 10 plus win seasons :rolleyes:.

Alabama was under .500 over the course of 2 seasons twice since 2000- I guess you think scheduling them during those seasons would have been great as well.

Question for those who want easier schedules:
What do you think our schedule should be ranked nationally? 40? 50? 60? 90?

Hard to get much lower than 90 because we're in a P5 league.

Not sure about ranking but we should schedule an ND/WVU/PSU game every year and then the rest should be Akrons, OUs, Temples with one scrimmage. Make it manageable. But playing that many good teams with GT mixed in early is insane.

WHy do you think all the SEC teams have a patsie at the end of the season. It gives the team a break before their rival games and allows them to develop younger players. Its smart scheduling

Not sure about ranking but we should schedule an ND/WVU/PSU game every year and then the rest should be Akrons, OUs, Temples with one scrimmage. Make it manageable. But playing that many good teams with GT mixed in early is insane.

WHy do you think all the SEC teams have a patsie at the end of the season. It gives the team a break before their rival games and allows them to develop younger players. Its smart scheduling

I am fine with that. It's easier than this year but not "automatically disqualifying" in a regular year which is my argument against WSU's three cupcakes (granted, they're in a conference with 9 conference games).

I am fine with that. It's easier than this year but not "automatically disqualifying" in a regular year which is my argument against WSU's three cupcakes (granted, they're in a conference with 9 conference games).

Yeah you do have to balance it a bit. You cant schedule all Albanys but for example this year if you replaced UCF with even a Liberty (an FBS program) you'd have been better off.

Timing of when you play them is important. I'd advocate playing an easier game after GT as I believe teams tend to not do as well after playing them. Pitts schedule was not only difficult this year but the timing of the games was brutal

We all agree the best way to become a consistent top-10/15 team is through recruiting, and being a consistent top-10/15 team is much better than these short-term goals of having a couple highly attended probable-losses per year so we can "test ourselves" and get the occasional upset.

Recruiting is made much easier with buzz. Being ranked gets you buzz -- being ranked gets you talked about way more, on TV way more (including numerous highlights shown during other games all day), and placed into better bowl games that are watched & talked about way more. If we do those things, we get the better recruits who eventually make us a consistently top team. So the short-term goal should be doing whatever it takes to get consistently ranked to create consistent buzz to help recruiting. Schedule OOC cupcakes, take care of business in the ACC, and that will happen.

When Pitt scheduled them, they had gone 15-23 over their past 3 seasons.

With these facts, Pitt should have demanded two home games, but our sad AD couldn't come up with that idea. If UCF with a 15-23 record didn't agree, move on.

With these facts, Pitt should have demanded two home games, but our sad AD couldn't come up with that idea. If UCF with a 15-23 record didn't agree, move on.

Move on to who? Like do any of us know how hard it is to fulfill our budgetary requirements in scheduling? I have no clue how much we're willing to spend to buy a home game win but whatever the number is, there are probably 35 programs who can spend more to buy that game before us.

I don't care where the SoS ends up. Simply schedule no more than 1 possible loss OOC. WVU, Akron, Albany and Rutgers would be fine.

Teams like OkieSt, Tenn, Nebraska, Wisconsin, MSU etc make no sense.

Question for those who want easier schedules:
What do you think our schedule should be ranked nationally? 40? 50? 60? 90?

Hard to get much lower than 90 because we're in a P5 league.

Reactions: PittSqueak
The OOC schedule doesn't matter crowd can't be taken seriously at this point. If you can't understand why two extra wins matter and what it does for your program, you're probably not a legitimate fan of Pitt or college football.
Wait, so let me get this straight. You are saying, if anyone disagrees with wanting pitt to play 3 glorified scrimmages against D1-AA schools, then we aren’t legitimate fans of pitt or college football??

You make that statement and you want us to take you serious? Great post, seriously, we all appreciate your input here in what should be an enjoyable back and forth among pitt fans.

Joeydavid, this guy is on your side. Please teach him some etiquette or I’m going to have to ask him to go back and sit at the kids table while the adults are talking.

Wait, so let me get this straight. You are saying, if anyone disagrees with wanting pitt to play 3 glorified scrimmages against D1-AA schools, then we aren’t legitimate fans of pitt or college football??

You make that statement and you want us to take you serious? Great post, seriously, we all appreciate your input here in what should be an enjoyable back and forth among pitt fans.

Joeydavid, this guy is on your side. Please teach him some etiquette or I’m going to have to ask him to go back and sit at the kids table while the adults are talking.

You've spent three pages making one stupid argument after another. It's not the disagreement that is concerning. You're getting slapped in the face over and over with logic and facts but you want to keep arguing that you're right by using cliché and rhetoric. If you're a fan of the program, you want to see what's best happen so that the program can succeed. If you're a college football fan, you understand that what Pitt has being doing is counterproductive to both. If you're insulted by what I said, well, you can brood over it.

The OOC schedule doesn't matter crowd can't be taken seriously at this point. If you can't understand why two extra wins matter and what it does for your program, you're probably not a legitimate fan of Pitt or college football.
What makes you think Pitt would have two extra wins playing the likes of Toledo, Furman, Ohio, Bowling Green, Maine, Akron and Youngstown State? Pitt's history in these so called "cupcake" games isn't great.

15,000 people in the stands, the games on ESPN3 and going down to the wire, overtime or losing to any of the above teams isn't good for the program either.

What makes you think Pitt would have two extra wins playing the likes of Toledo, Furman, Ohio, Bowling Green, Maine, Akron and Youngstown State? Pitt's history in these so called "cupcake" games isn't great.

15,000 people in the stands, the games on ESPN3 and going down to the wire, overtime or losing to any of the above teams isn't good for the program either.

Pitt should be good enough to win those games. I know recent history isn't great but I don't think that will be okay moving forward. Pitt fans need to stop being okay with being a second class citizen in the P5.

Narduzzi has not lost to MAC Teams. We are in the present. Time to move forward.

Reactions: pittdan77
Pitt should be good enough to win those games. I know recent history isn't great but I don't think that will be okay moving forward. Pitt fans need to stop being okay with being a second class citizen in the P5.

Is this "second class"?

• 09/11 - at Tennessee
  • Who knows what the other three will be, but it's a non PSU/WVU/ND year.

Narduzzi has not lost to MAC Teams. We are in the present. Time to move forward.
He lost to a putrid North Carolina team this year so it's extremely possible he'd lose to a MAC or 1AA team.

If yinz want to watch the likes of Albany and Maine go to Rooney Field or Joe Walton Field on Saturday's.

Last edited:
You've spent three pages making one stupid argument after another. It's not the disagreement that is concerning. You're getting slapped in the face over and over with logic and facts but you want to keep arguing that you're right by using cliché and rhetoric. If you're a fan of the program, you want to see what's best happen so that the program can succeed. If you're a college football fan, you understand that what Pitt has being doing is counterproductive to both. If you're insulted by what I said, well, you can brood over it.
Geez, there is always at least one internet tough guy in the bunch. Never can be a civil conversation, always one guy that has to get all heated.

Logic and facts? You want to play teams from a lower classification to pad wins. That’s pathetic. You think it isn’t, I think it is. What logic and facts.

I don’t want to watch 3 scrimmages in sept in front of 18k fans, you do. We disagree. Quit being so damn sensitive tough guy and realize there are two sides to this debate.

Move on to who? Like do any of us know how hard it is to fulfill our budgetary requirements in scheduling? I have no clue how much we're willing to spend to buy a home game win but whatever the number is, there are probably 35 programs who can spend more to buy that game before us.
Nobody else seems willing or able to get this.

I certainly don't know the ins and outs of scheduling either but I know for sure our ADs don't have the money or power to handpick just any opponents we please, easy to beat but legit sounding enough to matter, on the years and days we want them, with never a return visit. Never mind deep pocket schools all looking to do the same.

Even now it's interesting the delusion.
Posters here picture our guy/gal able to pick up the phone to anyone we please, and just utter "Hi Bowling Green, Pitt here. Good news, we decided you will be our victim on Sept 6, 2024. Make sure you stink that year! " Even if they answered our call, the first question would be "how much you got?"

I notice. Eight wins is a solid season, six wins kinda sucks.
+ the average everyday person,student, fan, or others don't examine the quality of the schedule carefully and asterik the 6 wins with wow that was a tough schedule so 6 wins was ok, or that was a cupcake schedule so 8 wins doesn't really add up to 8 real wins.
IMO most people who casually look at the program, go to games, would be happier with 8 wins regardless of the opponents.
+Better bowl!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
And that's why you don't over schedule you're out of conference games.
Just ask the Nitters!
Paterno/Nitter AD's were The Masters of Under-scheduling and their excuse was the BIG10 is a tough conference schedule.

When they complained about their ranking the answer was always look at your cupcake OOC schedule Joe, or Jimmy.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Geez, there is always at least one internet tough guy in the bunch. Never can be a civil conversation, always one guy that has to get all heated.

Logic and facts? You want to play teams from a lower classification to pad wins. That’s pathetic. You think it isn’t, I think it is. What logic and facts.

I don’t want to watch 3 scrimmages in sept in front of 18k fans, you do. We disagree. Quit being so damn sensitive tough guy and realize there are two sides to this debate.

Dude, you're the one that got butt hurt by a rather generalized comment. I'm sorry common sense upsets you but how civil are you being when you're classifying winnable games a scrimmages and characterizing the fan reaction to only get 18k to show up? You're being a bit dramatic because I don't recall seeing anyone realistically suggesting anywhere near that kind of schedule.

He lost to a putrid North Carolina team this year so it's extremely possible he'd lose to a MAC or 1AA team.

If yinz want to watch the likes of Albany and Maine go to Rooney Field or Joe Walton Field on Saturday's.
I don't really care who the opponent is, never did, I always go for Pitt.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Nobody else seems willing or able to get this.

I certainly don't know the ins and outs of scheduling either but I know for sure our ADs don't have the money or power to handpick just any opponents we please, easy to beat but legit sounding enough to matter, on the years and days we want them, with never a return visit. Never mind deep pocket schools all looking to do the same.

Even now it's interesting the delusion.
Posters here picture our guy/gal able to pick up the phone to anyone we please, and just utter "Hi Bowling Green, Pitt here. Good news, we decided you will be our victim on Sept 6, 2024. Make sure you stink that year! " Even if they answered our call, the first question would be "how much you got?"

VaTech has Marshall scheduled for a maybe game at the end of this season. They're going to hand over $100k if the game "isn't needed" for bowl eligibility. I'd assume Pitt could afford to schedule this way, too.

'19 could be good too. UCF has to drop a bit, don't they? I mean they have to lose a game sometime. Maybe we finally catch them at home, when they are on their downslide.

IF they even show up at Heinz, remember our last H-and-H with them. We smashed them in Orlando 52-7 then they never returned the game in Pittsburgh. They did that to someone else also, but can't remember who, Hoopies maybe?

Reactions: JSSTartan
Agreed... but water under the bridge now.

Move on to who?

Posters here picture our guy/gal able to pick up the phone to anyone

We just have different opinions. I do not believe that the two previous AD's had a vision and plan for success for our football program. You apparently do. I see little evidence that they put forth the incredible amount of work and effort in takes into giving the program as many advantages as possible.

Why does finishing the season ranked by humans in an arbitrary poll matter.

We are number 17!! Yeah!!

We just have different opinions. I do not believe that the two previous AD's had a vision and plan for success for our football program. You apparently do. I see little evidence that they put forth the incredible amount of work and effort in takes into giving the program as many advantages as possible.
Oh I don't think for a minute they put much thought or effort into it either. I think they fill the schedule gaps as quickly easily and cheaply as they can. If it's a team like UCF or OKST or Tennessee that might bludgeon us, so be it. The important thing was the gaps got filled and Pitt didn't need to pay extortion to a MAC team for and 1 and done.

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT