ADVERTISEMENT

Isn't this the argument for playing a real OOC?

You know what gets you on TV besides being ranked? Playing Penn State, Notre Dame and West Virginia.

Do you think Southern recruits reject Pitt because they play Central Florida and Notre Dame instead of VMI and Lehigh?

as weird as this will sound, we need more fans with this attitude (yeah, me agreeing with 79, go figure). I was talking to our intern from Pitt and asked if he was going to the opener against Albany, and he said nah, it's just Albany he would be at the PSU game though. We need more fans who want to go who want to see Pitt play no matter who is the opponent.
It’s not “weird “....that’s exactly how to build and support a program

Too many in Pgh are front runner fans

I just saw MSU was in an “epic “ battle with Buttgers....noticing fan turnout wasn’t bad at all for a Spartan team that isn’t too hot

Pitt plays Buttgers no one shows

Syracuse is the perfect example. They are no better than Pitt but their ooc schedule has kept them ranked after getting blasted by Notre Dame. They lost head to head against Pitt and beat unc in 3ot.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Syracuse is the perfect example. They are no better than Pitt but their ooc schedule has kept them ranked after getting blasted by Notre Dame. They lost head to head against Pitt and beat unc in 3ot.

Their division is tougher than ours and their "ranked!" status doesn't seem to be translating into improved recruiting. Though who knows, recruiting isn't that easy to predict at the margins like Pitt and Cuse.

Their division is tougher than ours and their "ranked!" status doesn't seem to be translating into improved recruiting. Though who knows, recruiting isn't that easy to predict at the margins like Pitt and Cuse.
It doesn't have to translate into anything, winning more games is just better, even if it get's you zero extra recruits.

The thing that irritates me is how to many of you, everything has to mean something more. you can't just take it at FACE VALUE, if we played easier OOC and where 9-3 and ranked #20, that's JUST PLAIN BETTER, it doesn't have to improve the future at all, it just makes me feel better JUST FOR TODAY, and that's good enough. Doesn't have to attract recruits or fans or respect from pollsters, it's JUST PLAIN BETTER. PERIOD.

Not disagreeing with you, just from my perspective.

Rankings are based on historic superiority, I think the only reason Syracuse is ranked is because they beat Louisville and Florida St. Even though those 2 teams were awful this year, they beat them. Pitt had its chance with Miami and UNC, if Pitt beats them they are ranked higher. The other division was not better then the coastal, unless you are talking about strength of schedule in July.

Saturday's game would have hurt a lot more if Pitt would have played 2 scrubs instead of PSU and UCF, and gone into that game 9-2. Pitt would have been ranked much higher and everyone would have favored them to beat Miami.

Playing the tougher schedule and having Pitt being exposed already by tougher competition lessened the sting of Saturday's beatdown and obliteration. I am not advocating Pitt play a killer schedule but playing a creampuff OOC schedule isn't the answer either.

Saturday's game would have hurt a lot more if Pitt would have played 2 scrubs instead of PSU and UCF, and gone into that game 9-2. Pitt would have been ranked much higher and everyone would have favored them to beat Miami.

So you prefer two more losses so the next loss "hurts less"? I'd rather be 9-3 and just fallen from #12 to #22.

Reactions: President Stache
So you prefer two more losses so the next loss "hurts less"? I'd rather be 9-3 and just fallen from #12 to #22.

Actually, as a major Division 1 school, I would rather schedule other major Division 1 schools as competition to see how good you are. In college football however that seems to be not in vogue. College basketball has an actual playoff system and they have it right. When an 8 team playoff is instituted in football then the excuses for scheduling creampuffs will end. Win your conference and you are in the playoff.

As it is right now you can schedule creampuffs all you want and build up a great record but at some point you will have to prove your worth on the field. What happened on Saturday would have been far more devastating to a 9-2 or 10-1 Pitt team ranked in the Top 10 instead of the mediocre 7-4 team that we all knew them to be.

What happened on Saturday would have been far more devastating to a 9-2 or 10-1 Pitt team ranked in the Top 10 instead of the mediocre 7-4 team that we all knew them to be.

And? So what? I would have rather lost to Miami as a 10-1 top 10 team and be 10-2 right now. More devastating? Not to me.

From your couch?

It really doesn’t matter how you feel about the season and the national perception won’t change either
Exactly, from my couch, I'd rather go 8-6 and I don't care about the national perception either, I just like 8-6 better than 7-7 just for itself, with no concern with anything beyond that.

The thing that irritates me is how to many of you, everything has to mean something more. you can't just take it at FACE VALUE, if we played easier OOC and where 9-3 and ranked #20, that's JUST PLAIN BETTER, it doesn't have to improve the future at all, it just makes me feel better JUST FOR TODAY, and that's good enough. Doesn't have to attract recruits or fans or respect from pollsters, it's JUST PLAIN BETTER. PERIOD.
Actually, as a major Division 1 school, I would rather schedule other major Division 1 schools as competition to see how good you are. In college football however that seems to be not in vogue. College basketball has an actual playoff system and they have it right. When an 8 team playoff is instituted in football then the excuses for scheduling creampuffs will end. Win your conference and you are in the playoff.

As it is right now you can schedule creampuffs all you want and build up a great record but at some point you will have to prove your worth on the field. What happened on Saturday would have been far more devastating to a 9-2 or 10-1 Pitt team ranked in the Top 10 instead of the mediocre 7-4 team that we all knew them to be.

In Basketball its a bit different because it is a 25? game season. But I agree, Michigan state BB (Izzo) always schedules an insane pre-conference schedule. They always seem to do well in the tourney. Before Izzo, weak pre-conference schedule, always lost 1st and second round.

Obviously football is different, but you can find common ground, and the fact that they are in the ACC means conference play is so so.

Administration and coaches need to create matchups they feel will prepare the team to win conference games consistently. And compete for the conference championship ... beat teams like Miami, Clemson, FSU.

Don't see how playing Another cream puff helps develop players and/or coaches.

Coaches can basically call a high school offense against Youngstown/Albany/Nova...They need to be on task as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT