ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like FSU is voting to challenge the GOR tomorrow

They can challenge it, and they will surely ultimately get out with some kind of negotiated discount, but it's not happening overnight. It will be drawn out.

What would be the motivation for the ACC to negotiate a discount to get out? I thought from a legal standpoint, the GOR was rock solid.
No longer having an openly disgruntled lame duck member who will leave eventually anyway. Because there is always risk in litigation. Because litigation can be expensive and distracting. Because it's likely better to focus on strengthening the conference than fighting scorched-earth litigation with a soon-to-be former member.

The ACC needs to stand up to them and do everything they can to hurt their university and athletic department purposely. No mercy, no compromise, just wave the middle finger high!

Reactions: ThePanthers
No longer having an openly disgruntled lame duck member who will leave eventually anyway. Because there is always risk in litigation. Because litigation can be expensive and distracting. Because it's likely better to focus on strengthening the conference than fighting scorched-earth litigation with a soon-to-be former member.
That, and if they go to court and end up losing somehow, the floodgates open.

They didn't have to wait very long - probably wasn't worth the trouble of contesting.

Exactly.

I’m preparing withdraw forms right now for case in which my client’s daughter was driving around drunk and high as a kite on drugs. She decided to run across a highway while talking to a police officer. Another police officer was arriving at the scene and saw everything. The daughter was hit by oncoming traffic and died at the scene. Crash report narrative only cited my client’s daughter at fault. Progressive still tendered the limits to my client on behalf of their driver.

It’s all about risk-reward calculations.

The GOR is on good legal footing. But it was never on some ironclad legal footing. And the potential challenges to it always had merit.

Nobody has ever challenged it to this point not because they just couldn’t be legally challenged. But because the risk-reward calculation never made sense to challenge it.

Now it does.

Doesn't it seem like that there is always a negotiated settlement for business things like this? Court cases are never 100%.

There is nothing preventing FSU from leaving tomorrow, right? But all of it's media would still be part of the ACC package (ESPN). Wouldn't ESPN (Disney) be the aggrieved party here?

Someone mentioned TX/OU leaving early. Didn't they actually leave one year early? And didn't it involve some horse trading between FOX/ESPNDis? I'm pretty sure a Texas game got flipped to FOX or something... And the Big 12 got some money....

Agree, they can say- done going independent- I guess.
Then get sued by everybody.
Or challenge the GOR thing was crap from the get go and maybe get a goofball judge to agree.
Does it even matter anymore?

These are legit points.
The counterpoint is if they give on it, it creates the precedent that would embolden others to follow suit.

There is nothing preventing FSU from leaving tomorrow, right? But all of it's media would still be part of the ACC package (ESPN). Wouldn't ESPN (Disney) be the aggrieved party here?

Someone mentioned TX/OU leaving early. Didn't they actually leave one year early? And didn't it involve some horse trading between FOX/ESPNDis? I'm pretty sure a Texas game got flipped to FOX or something... And the Big 12 got some money...
Desantis swaps Reedy Creek board seats/rescinds reedy creek control in exchange for fsu media rights. Win win for both Disney and fsu. It was the long play all along. The woke argument was all smoke and mirrors last year.

Not a problem.

Pay the ACC the MONEY and they can leave and all member schools will get increased revenue upon their departure.

BYE!!!!

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: 303vND
What would be the motivation for the ACC to negotiate a discount to get out? I thought from a legal standpoint, the GOR was rock solid.

Nah nothing is ever “RockSolid” if they get enough schools to challenge it they can get it dissolved. Interesting people want to think that the 3new schools wouldn’t be on FSU side. It’s my contention they would, not so much because they want to go anywhere. A newly formed ACC would let them get paid which they aren’t currently. Guess we’ll have to see what happens next on “As FSU turns”.

Reactions: bdur76
Others are following suit anyway.

You know for SURE if you cut a deal with FSU, that precedent will be established for other schools.

It would seem to be all or nothing, but if the GOR holds up, the ACC would be in a much stronger position in the near term vs conceding without a fight.

Its a decision between those two options.

Reactions: jctrack
You know for SURE if you cut a deal with FSU, that precedent will be established for other schools.

It would seem to be all or nothing, but if the GOR holds up, the ACC would be in a much stronger position in the near term vs conceding without a fight.

Its a decision between those two options.

But if the GOR doesn’t hold up, you lose the members and get nothing.

A negotiated settlement with FSU establishes the true cost of leaving, and the ACC could be paid that amount.

I don't even care anymore. Let the ones who want to leave leave. Whatever conference that is left over is sure to be good enough to produce at least one of the top 5 conference champions most years anyway. As long as Pitt has a legitimate and realistic path to the playoffs if they win 11-12 games in a year I could care less what conference we are in and who else is in it with us.

You mean ACC voluntarily cut a deal for less than the GOR value? No way.
FSU has little leverage there imo except to continue to crap on the league in public.
I see them more challenging the merit of the GORs or them agreeing to it to begin with.
Anything's possible. It only takes one judge. But would seem someone would have already tried.
I guess ACC with ESPN could cut and run.

Last edited:
I don't even care anymore. Let the ones who want to leave leave. Whatever conference that is left over is sure to be good enough to produce at least one of the top 5 conference champions most years anyway. As long as Pitt has a legitimate and realistic path to the playoffs if they win 11-12 games in a year I could care less what conference we are in and who else is in it with us.
I think most people would agree with this.
College Football is a shell of its former self.

But if the GOR doesn’t hold up, you lose the members and get nothing.

A negotiated settlement with FSU establishes the true cost of leaving, and the ACC could be paid that amount.

This is what will happen. They’ll negotiate something. Then once that is established unc, uva and Clemson will see if it’s worth it to follow or wait a little longer.

So they're going to talk about it some more? Guess we'll see if they actually decide to do anything. Not sure how many times you can read a document and hope for something new. Also sort of weird that they would have to go to HQ to read it. They signed the stupid thing so they probably have a copy. More likely trips to HQ were to read the TV deal because I'm pretty certain that's what has bigger teeth.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
So they're going to talk about it some more? Guess we'll see if they actually decide to do anything. Not sure how many times you can read a document and hope for something new. Also sort of weird that they would have to go to HQ to read it. They signed the stupid thing so they probably have a copy. More likely trips to HQ were to read the TV deal because I'm pretty certain that's what has bigger teeth.
I thought the same thing LOL

So FSU is going about this backwards. They are afraid to leave without their TV rights so they are going to stay in the ACC until a Florida court "removes" the GOR. Just leave now.

Nah nothing is ever “RockSolid” if they get enough schools to challenge it they can get it dissolved. Interesting people want to think that the 3new schools wouldn’t be on FSU side. It’s my contention they would, not so much because they want to go anywhere. A newly formed ACC would let them get paid which they aren’t currently. Guess we’ll have to see what happens next on “As FSU turns”.
10 schools have to walk away for the ACC GOR to dissove,you aren’t getting that,you might not get half of that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT