ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Capel is a flying machine

-FSU and Syracuse on the verge of landing centers. Neither is Wahab and Cockburn.
247 dropped Syracuse from Wahab's list.

-That should place Pitt in the Top 4 (many feel we lead) for Wahab) and Top 6 at worst for Cockburn

-Surprisingly too, Igiehon is visiting St. Johns, again, a 2nd time. If St. Johns gets him, That would put Pitt in the Top 5 for Cockburn and get us an official

Syracuse getting Ajok pretty much locks in Wahab for us. I don’t think we’re a serious contender for Cockburn.

-Uconn getting a potential scholarship ban for more violations. Wahab visits them on the 12th with Akok. Vtech the 19th

-Wahab visits November 2nd through 4th to Pitt

-Wahab most likely signs early

-Cockburn officials should be released soon. Syracuse looks to be out for both I think.

Reactions: cabe23
Nothing is official with UConn and I’ve heard that anyone they’re seriously targeting has been assured that any penalty they face will be minimal. My buddy is plugged into the AAU scene around NY/NJ and is a big UConn guy, so he’s pretty reliable about their stuff in that area

Wahab to Pitt, Akok to UConn is what I’ve heard for a whilw

Nothing is official with UConn and I’ve heard that anyone they’re seriously targeting has been assured that any penalty they face will be minimal. My buddy is plugged into the AAU scene around NY/NJ and is a big UConn guy, so he’s pretty reliable about their stuff in that area

Wahab to Pitt, Akok to UConn is what I’ve heard for a whilw

I'll take that. Any other Pitt related rumblings?

Reactions: Faix87
I'll take that. Any other Pitt related rumblings?

All I’ve heard is that Capel is a great dude that coaches/parents really connect with but he got into the game very late. He’s doing a lot of heavy lifting but there are a few things working against him

We need to close on Wahab

All I’ve heard is that Capel is a great dude that coaches/parents really connect with but he got into the game very late. He’s doing a lot of heavy lifting but there are a few things working against him

We need to close on Wahab

Can you elaborate on the “things working against him”? Do you mean in individual cases or larger more general things?

Can you elaborate on the “things working against him”? Do you mean in individual cases or larger more general things?

He’s very well-liked but we’re, at the moment, a tough sell.

This won’t be shocking to most, but our reputation had suffered greatly. The lack of notable pros is a big sticking point...we need to be able to, realistically, draw a line between commitment and the Pros. Most every kid in the top 100 range thinks they’re a year or two removed from a pro paycheck, but that’s rarely true. To get those kids, however, you need to sell the dream and that’s our biggest issue currently.

I’m not Capel’s biggest fan, but I’m encouraged about what I’ve heard about how he’s connecting to recruits. Closing on Wahab in the Fall would be enormous. From there, we need to exceed expectations and go to work in Spring recruiting when we can, hopefully, paint a better picture than we currently can

Reactions: Pitt-Chains
He’s very well-liked but we’re, at the moment, a tough sell.

This won’t be shocking to most, but our reputation had suffered greatly. The lack of notable pros is a big sticking point...we need to be able to, realistically, draw a line between commitment and the Pros. Most every kid in the top 100 range thinks they’re a year or two removed from a pro paycheck, but that’s rarely true. To get those kids, however, you need to sell the dream and that’s our biggest issue currently.

I’m not Capel’s biggest fan, but I’m encouraged about what I’ve heard about how he’s connecting to recruits. Closing on Wahab in the Fall would be enormous. From there, we need to exceed expectations and go to work in Spring recruiting when we can, hopefully, paint a better picture than we currently can

-In what regard, Currently?

-Pitt currently ranks 37th in the entire country with players currently in the NBA.

-There are a total of 20 schools in the entire country with 5+ players in the current NBA. 5 of those schools are on the West Coast where we compete for literally zero recruits with.

-I dont agree with your theory on this literally at all. One of our recruits is currently visiting ivy league schools, another another of our targets is on the verge of picking Northwestern over many schools because of Academics. Bobby Hurley is raking in 4 and 5 stars and Arizona State has 1 NBA player. Vanderbilt is raking in 4 and 5 star with Bryce Drew and their program history is lousy and their players in the NBA is terrible. I 110% dont agree with you at all.

-Furthermore, USC and Oregon are completely killing it in recruiting. And neither is an NBA factory or a long term college basketball powerhouse. Times have changed. Either you can sell a vision and your school or you cant.

Wahab and Walker would be a pretty nice start. If he can land them to go along with the 3 current freshman that would be a good core. Once he gets the ball rolling it should be easier to get some momentum with other kids too.

-Prior Teammate with Toney, good friends with Toney and Mcgowens

-Huge Athleticism (Big shock right? Every player we target jumps out the gym)

-Not a big scorer, shot in development

-Offers- Georgetown, Texas, NC State, Florida, Providence, Oklahoma State, among others

-Huge upside with a jumpshot

LOL! It is amazing that all of a sudden, we're on the lists of all of these players who, since we're recruiting them now, must be top 50 talent and we'll blow the competition out of the water. It all sounds great, but Capel needs to deliver and needs to translate what players he does get into actual wins with player development.

It's nice to be optimistic. But Capel hasn't coached one game yet at Pitt, and his recruiting is still a work in progress.

Pizzaboy, I have nothing against enthusiasm and optimism. My concern is with those things happening with no real reason for them yet. Capel may very well be a great coach for us someday and he may outrecruit many of his peers. But he hasn't yet. I'll just take a wait and see approach and enjoy the ride while I can.

Pizzaboy, I have nothing against enthusiasm and optimism. My concern is with those things happening with no real reason for them yet. Capel may very well be a great coach for us someday and he may outrecruit many of his peers. But he hasn't yet. I'll just take a wait and see approach and enjoy the ride while I can.

-Did you sleep under ground when Capel landed 3 commits in the 2018 class and a transfer in the 2018 recruiting class? Apparently you did.

Reactions: Drew1208
Getting back to the topic

-As expected, 4 Star Robbie Beran commits to Northwestern over all his major offers

-Chris Ledlum is still visiting Ivy schools and likes Notre Dame

-Pac-12 horses are continuing to kill it, more 4 and 5 stars to the Pac (I said this conference would rebound hard a year ago) and their strong recruiting continues to 2020 and 2021

-Pitt is in the lead for 2 four stars AND the early leader for a 5 star is my understanding unless Duke gets involved. Unless something crazy happens, Walker is ours. Sleazeball Oliver Antigua was in the other day making his sales pitch because Illinois has struck out swinging on everyone else. They should strike out here too. Rhody picked up a PF 3 star today. Chances strong Walker announces in a few weeks and Pitt recruiting momentum starts again.

Reactions: cabe23 and Haydman

-As expected, 4 Star Robbie Beran commits to Northwestern over all his major offers

-Pac-12 horses are continuing to kill it, more 4 and 5 stars to the Pac (I said this conference would rebound hard a year ago) and their strong recruiting continues to 2020 and 2021

-Pitt is in the lead for 2 four stars AND the early leader for a 5 star is my understanding unless Duke gets involved. Unless something crazy happens, Walker is ours. Sleazeball Oliver Antigua was in the other day making his sales pitch because Illinois has struck out swinging on everyone else. They should strike out here too. Rhody picked up a PF 3 star today. Chances strong Walker announces in a few weeks and Pitt recruiting momentum starts again.

Agree, the first one is the hardest one. Need that first big domino like Walker to fall in this class.

-Ajak (center) commits to Syracuse, as was speculated. Ajak was way down our list, we didnt even offer him an official visit. He was supposed to come in for an unofficial in a few weeks.

North Carolina was one of the favorites for

Cole Anthony
heading into his trip to Chapel Hill and that still remains the case as the Tar Heels offer him the chance to take over the lead guard spot from the get-go, become the face of the program and have the opportunity to be coached by a Hall of Famer. It didn’t hurt that
Armando Bacot
, UNC’s top 2019 pledge, joined Anthony during his official visit over the weekend.

However, this is more of a long-distance run than a 400-meter dash. Notre Dame should not be discounted in their pursuit of the five-star guard. The Irish can offer a national brand and with the recent work that they have done on the recruiting trail which has translated onto the playing floor, Notre Dame is just as much of a contender as anyone involved.

Another top contender looks to be Oregon. Sources tell Rivals.com that the Ducks will host Anthony for an official visit on the weekend of Oct. 12. This will be a big one as the Ducks will be also hosting Rivals150 prospects

Isaac Johnson
Marcus Watson
and
Jahmius Ramsey
that particular weekend.

Outside of UNC, Notre Dame and Oregon, there is always a chance that Duke, Kentucky, or another wild card enters the fray. He has also spoken about his great relationship with Jeff Capel and while it might be hard to see Anthony playing at Pitt, there is always a chance as he tends to go to the beat of his own drum. I would be surprised to see him sign this fall as the cards are aligning for Anthony to take things into the winter, leading to a spring commitment.

One of the top forward prospects in the 2019 class,

Akok Akok
made some news last week as he decided to schedule his five official visits.

This past weekend, Akok saw the local Providence program and had the chance to catch up with his former travel program alums in

Makai Ashton-Langford
David Duke
and
AJ Reaves

Next week, he is off to Georgetown for their midnight madness festivities, joining fellow top-50 prospect

Terrence Shannon
on the Hilltop. On the weekend of Oct. 13, UConn will host Akok which he then follows up with a trip to Syracusethe following weekend before closing at Pitt on Oct. 25.

Much of the talk coming out of July had centered around Syracuse, UConn and Providence and that continues to be the case. Providence has had tremendous success in recruiting his Mass Rivals’ program, but one should believe that Dan Hurleyis going to do all that he can to hit it out of the park with his first full recruiting class in Storrs. Syracuse should not be discounted either, and it is intriguing to see that Pitt and Georgetown have each notched visit dates, both being dark horses within his recruitment.

There is no clear-cut favorite at the moment and while I do view the Orange, Huskies and Friars as the three to beat, his visits should determine a whole lot about where he eventually ends up; I expect a fall signing.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/twitter-tuesday-cole-anthony-akok-akok-more

Updates and commits continue, it seems to be a rapid pace the last few days.

-Tre Mitchell is headed up to Uconn for a visit and is still considered "wide or somewhat open". Although the insiders thought Notre Dame was a lock, but Uconn and Hurley are involved. I find it interesting Wake Forest and Illinois are said to be pushing hard for visits. Illinois has struck out on everyone, no surprise they are desperate for a power forward and want a visit because they are far behind Pitt for Walker. No Pitt to be found, no interest shown towards this player in our own backyard for a Top 100ish Power Forward. He's not an athlete anyway, Uconn or Notre Dame can have him imo. Most people think he's soft and he's way to slow and unathletic if Pitt is headed toward the press defense

-Pitt staff is on deck this weekend visiting Wahab, one of our main targets we are closing in on. We continue to push hard for our priorities.

-Akok's Coach said he's open to all 5 schools still recruiting him and may make an early decision. Despite rumors, from the head Coach, no team leads right now. As of this time, Pitt is right in it.

-Did you sleep under ground when Capel landed 3 commits in the 2018 class and a transfer in the 2018 recruiting class? Apparently you did.
Not under the ground but I've slept a lot on the ground.I love you Steel you are great for this message board.I just have questions about your ability to judge athletic talent.Capel did what he had to do recruiting this year.He got two kids to reclassify.There's a reason why the big boys wanted them to prep but he sold them on playing time now and they reclassified.They'll be good players in time I think.I can't wait to see what kind of Coach Capel became after spending time with Coach K.

Not under the ground but I've slept a lot on the ground.I love you Steel you are great for this message board.I just have questions about your ability to judge athletic talent.Capel did what he had to do recruiting this year.He got two kids to reclassify.There's a reason why the big boys wanted them to prep but he sold them on playing time now and they reclassified.They'll be good players in time I think.I can't wait to see what kind of Coach Capel became after spending time with Coach K.

Yes, hopefully, he learned to be a better x's and o's guy working for coach K. But, I am also not certain that the commonly accepted narrative that he was not a good coach his last 2-years at OK St is valid (i.e., the result of being weak at x's and o's). It could just as easily have been due to lack of adequate recruiting results.

We should have some preliminary answers to that question as this season plays out.

His recruiting was fine. His 3rd class was a top 25 class with a 4* and 5*. The issue was the mass exodus of young players after his assistant coach ran afoul of the NCAA.

They vacated a bunch of wins as well.

Yes, hopefully, he learned to be a better x's and o's guy working for coach K. But, I am also not certain that the commonly accepted narrative that he was not a good coach his last 2-years at OK St is valid (i.e., the result of being weak at x's and o's). It could just as easily have been due to lack of adequate recruiting results.

We should have some preliminary answers to that question as this season plays out.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...rs-dishing-on-pitt-st-john-s-alabama-and-more

Corey Evans latest. Responding to a tweet asking who he thinks Pitt will land.

Frontcourt, frontcourt, frontcourt is the name of the game for the Panthers in the 2019 class. There are no sure-fire bets for Pitt with any of its targets, but if there is one prospect that I feel best about playing his college career at the Pete, it would be

Anthony Walker
. Beating Rhode Island, VCU andMiami will be difficult, but I think Jeff Capel and his staff have it in them.

Qudus Wahab
would be next, and he recently cut his list to a final five of Pitt, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, UConn and Georgetown.
Akok Akok
might be difficult to secure, as will
Kofi Cockburn
, but the Panthers have begun to place greater attention into the recruitment of Rivals150 center
Karim Coulibaly

Walker is the likeliest Pitt pledge this fall, and Wahab or Ajak are looking like the next two possibly within its grasp.

Nothing new or ground breaking but good to hear nonetheless.

-Capel and staff visit Akok and Langford once again. 3rd time been there in 3 weeks. The flying machine Capel continues without sleep

-Pitt was also in for Darrius Maddox, another super athlete that can jump out of the gym

-One thing is certain. No one is outworking Pitt for effort here. No one.

I don't think Oliver Antigua is coaching in NCAA.

Oklahoma

Thanks. I had temporarily forgotten which Oklahoma school it was.

I don't think it makes any difference to the point of not being sure Capel's x's and o's should be in question--especially in view of the assistant coach issue that brought on the firing.

In any event we should begin to learn about his x's and o's and game management skills starting next month.

Reactions: hilltoppanther
-Whole Pitt staff and Pitt assistants were in to see Chris Ledlum and Anthony Walker

-Finally got some news on Ledlum, although I personally think he is a heavy Harvard / Yale lean followed by Notre Dame because the parents are the decision makers in this and academics is more important then basketball to them which is fine. Pitt is still interested, however

-Pitt and Capel are visiting the top targets on a weekly basis. It almost seems like every 3-4 days Capel is in recruiting and visiting our main guys.

I get the education part but are there other factors that have Harvard recruiting at such a high level for an Ivy League school.

-Whole Pitt staff and Pitt assistants were in to see Chris Ledlum and Anthony Walker

-Finally got some news on Ledlum, although I personally think he is a heavy Harvard / Yale lean followed by Notre Dame because the parents are the decision makers in this and academics is more important then basketball to them which is fine. Pitt is still interested, however

-Pitt and Capel are visiting the top targets on a weekly basis. It almost seems like every 3-4 days Capel is in recruiting and visiting our main guys.

Well if he wants to be a medical doctor he should come to Pitt.

I see little advantage to attending any particular undergrad school for getting into that same school's Medical School.

Just go to any school with a well respected pre-med program and do extremely well, score very very high on Med School exams (MCAT?) and you should get into a top notch medical school regardless of which respectable pre-med program you went through as an undergrad.

Reactions: Ski11585
I see little advantage to attending any particular undergrad school for getting into that same school's Medical School.

Just go to any school with a well respected pre-med program and do extremely well, score very very high on Med School exams (MCAT?) and you should get into a top notch medical school regardless of which respectable pre-med program you went through as an undergrad.
I was just joking. Just want to see the kid land here, but it seems not likely

You'd get a fine education at just about any college in the US and if you excel in the classroom and on the entrance exams you will get into a very fine post grad program . Certain colleges have very influential alumni that can make life a lot easier for you post grad especially if your an athlete . The other advantage an Ivy education has is the friends and contacts you make , some of them become very very important people .
If your future is Bb the ACC is a better place than the Ivy League otherwise a Harvard education is hard to beat .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT