ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi stubbornness

Jsr862

Redshirt
Nov 8, 2017
I love it... he dont care about last week or next week.. and he slams these reporters always asking and honestly I love it. That's something to really instill on the kids to better prepair each week. Some may not like this approach and want a coach who talks about things more but, I agree with him to keep everyone on one game.

My approval rating of him has been a rollercoaster over the years. Loved him in years one and two, gave him the benefit of the doubt in year three. It was at its lowest around the UCF game last season (more-so out of frustration from that two/three week span), but I’ve come around since then. I like what he’s building and who he’s surrounded himself with. Also to your point, I think his aggressiveness and attitude has rubbed off on the team, specifically the defense. They play with a nastiness. I like it.

All things considered, I’m glad he’s our coach. I wouldn’t want anyone else because I think he’s a good fit. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m going to ride it out with him until his time here is over because I consider him one of us, something I haven’t felt since Wannstedt. I think we’re beginning to turn that corner. Can’t wait for Saturday.

My approval rating of him has been a rollercoaster over the years. Loved him in years one and two, gave him the benefit of the doubt in year three. It was at its lowest around the UCF game last season (more-so out of frustration from that two/three week span), but I’ve come around since then. I like what he’s building and who he’s surrounded himself with. Also to your point, I think his aggressiveness and attitude has rubbed off on the team, specifically the defense. They play with a nastiness. I like it.

All things considered, I’m glad he’s our coach. I wouldn’t want anyone else because I think he’s a good fit. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m going to ride it out with him until his time here is over because I consider him one of us, something I haven’t felt since Wannstedt. I think we’re beginning to turn that corner. Can’t wait for Saturday.
He be a better coach if he wasn't making the game decisions each week. Maybe he should give that job to someone else on his staff.

Every college coach, and for that matter, coaches at high levels in general, are stubborn. People who think firing him because he is stubborn are going to be shocked when the next coach does the same.

Reactions: pitt_fb_9x1

I just dont see a ceiling with Narduzzi that is that impressive... He has his guys now, and we arent seeing an uptick in recruiting. I dont think he really knows what to do at this point in his career to take us over the 5-8 win hump... He doesnt really have the momentum, and he is wildly inconsistent. If you watch his interviews it used to be that the guys Narduzzi always talked about in camp turned out to be bums, and now he has changed his tune... When asked about them his answer this year is we will have to see how they do on the field. Its like he realized that he has practice all stars that cant put it together. He really has no idea what to think of his team, and its to the point where I get the feeling he lines them up and hopes we can outplay them.... I dont think we are necessarily outcoaching them... I think if Narduzzi has a great offensive coordinator he can probably win 8 or maybe once in a blue moon 9 games, but I dont think he is good enough to take us any further...
WIth that said there are some Pitt fans that are okay with 5-8 win seasons... Maybe it is just me, but if we can only win 8 games then I dont really care...

Just curious who is "us" in this statement :

because I consider him one of us, something I haven’t felt since Wannstedt

Us = Pitt fans in general, Pittsburghers, we on this board, you and your friends, people who shop at Giant Eagle, or something else??

Reactions: SisadaPITT
I just dont see a ceiling with Narduzzi that is that impressive... He has his guys now, and we arent seeing an uptick in recruiting. I dont think he really knows what to do at this point in his career to take us over the 5-8 win hump... He doesnt really have the momentum, and he is wildly inconsistent. If you watch his interviews it used to be that the guys Narduzzi always talked about in camp turned out to be bums, and now he has changed his tune... When asked about them his answer this year is we will have to see how they do on the field. Its like he realized that he has practice all stars that cant put it together. He really has no idea what to think of his team, and its to the point where I get the feeling he lines them up and hopes we can outplay them.... I dont think we are necessarily outcoaching them... I think if Narduzzi has a great offensive coordinator he can probably win 8 or maybe once in a blue moon 9 games, but I dont think he is good enough to take us any further...
WIth that said there are some Pitt fans that are okay with 5-8 win seasons... Maybe it is just me, but if we can only win 8 games then I dont really care...

Thanks for stopping by! :rolleyes:

I like the players he’s developed who’ve been here under him the whole time. I think we’ll see it pay the rest of this year and in 2020. I don’t need him to have top 25 recruiting classes on an annual basis. I wish we’d retain more of the top local talent, but overall I feel like we’ve never really been at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the teams in our division. I think that can be a credit to him.
Just curious who is "us" in this statement :

because I consider him one of us, something I haven’t felt since Wannstedt

Us = Pitt fans in general, Pittsburghers, we on this board, you and your friends, people who shop at Giant Eagle, or something else??
By “us,” I mean the university and the Pitt football program as a whole. The coaches since Wannstedt have been Haywood (no explanation needed), Graham (see Haywood + he had one foot out the door the whole time he was here), and Chryst (I like him but it wasn’t the best fit). Narduzzi seems like the type of guy that will stay here for his entire career if he’s permitted to. He’s embraced the history of the program and is passionate about the city and the university. Again, I haven’t gotten the feeling about any of the coaches since Wannstedt.

I like the players he’s developed who’ve been here under him the whole time. I think we’ll see it pay the rest of this year and in 2020. I don’t need him to have top 25 recruiting classes on an annual basis. I wish we’d retain more of the top local talent, but overall I feel like we’ve never really been at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the teams in our division. I think that can be a credit to him.

By “us,” I mean the university and the Pitt football program as a whole. The coaches since Wannstedt have been Haywood (no explanation needed), Graham (see Haywood + he had one foot out the door the whole time he was here), and Chryst (I like him but it wasn’t the best fit). Narduzzi seems like the type of guy that will stay here for his entire career if he’s permitted to. He’s embraced the history of the program and is passionate about the city and the university. Again, I haven’t gotten the feeling about any of the coaches since Wannstedt.
Ok, thank you for describing the "us". As you defined it, I would agree that he is the most "us" coach since Wanny

I think so far this year I’ve seen Duzz show that he can evolve and sit back and delegate. I think Bates has more say now in terms of calls and gameplan than he did previously and while Pat is on record talking about how he’d run it every play if we could, his oc is running a sort of west coast offense and pretty clearly is running the O without much input from Duzz. I think the UCF game showed that when Duzz scouts and recruits guys, he’s done a fairly well job of getting them coached up into ACC caliber players. I think with the right OC (which I currently believe Whipple looks like) that Duzz is capable of 7-10 win seasons.

He be a better coach if he wasn't making the game decisions each week. Maybe he should give that job to someone else on his staff.
100% agree, and considering he has an OC that’s been a head coach before (won a D2 national championship) id considering delegating some game day decisions to him after talking during the week to give input on how he’d like to see them done.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
If Narduzzi gets us to a point where we average 8 wins a season, then people should be happy. People should increase support to try and get us over the hump rather than bail on the program.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
We shall see. We could win 9 games this year. We return mostly everyone with an easier OOC schedule next year, if we win 9 games, we will finish in the Top 25 this year, and preseason be fairly highly ranked next year with a possibility of 10-11 wins and a top 12 type of season.

So this is setting up. Beat Duke and it is all possible. So let's withhold "ceiling" judgments until after this year.

Reactions: Rayz5089
I really feel next year will be a very defining year. Senior QB in this system for a full year, the line we aren't completely rehauling still will have some WRs all RBs back. Defense should be same or improved and Senior heavy I believe. If the team slumps next year with the schedule then that's when I start scratching my head on keeping him. Realistically next year, given no major injuries, should be a fun one all things considered.

I really feel next year will be a very defining year

In addition, another important factor will be Whipple's ability to recruit talented offensive players. I am not impressed in his short tenure with anything Whipple has done here, but I must hold judgment for at least until the next two recruiting cycles.

Reactions: PittFamily2
In addition, another important factor will be Whipple's ability to recruit talented offensive players. I am not impressed in his short tenure with anything Whipple has done here, but I must hold judgment for at least until the next two recruiting cycles.

You're not impressed with his offense?

With his ability to transform Kenny into a QB who is able to hit multiple receivers for multiple receptions per game?

Nothing?

Are you watching the same team I am compared to last year?

Lets see what he does next season.
I know we say it all the time but next year could be Huge, really Huge.

So what is the bar for next season? What do you consider a success?

Good question. I don't really have the bar set anywhere but I think we'd all like to see this program finish ranked. I guess that's ideal given where Pitt has been and where we all would like to see it going. I know that's vague but it probably means at least 9-3 plus a bowl win?

Good question. I don't really have the bar set anywhere but I think we'd all like to see this program finish ranked. I guess that's ideal given where Pitt has been and where we all would like to see it going. I know that's vague but it probably means at least 9-3 plus a bowl win?
If we finish in the Top 25 next season, then that has to be considered a success in my book.

With his ability to transform Kenny into a QB who is able to hit multiple receivers for multiple receptions per game?

Nothing?

I'm not impressed with the lack of scoring by Pitt. Absent our stellar defense we could easily be sitting at 0 and 5 with Pitt's current offense.

Nothing?

You watching the one that's 118th in the FBS in scoring (out of 130 teams)? We've done some good things (and some bad things, too - most notably, no running game), but it means nothing until it translates to points.

Reactions: SisadaPITT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT