ADVERTISEMENT

NET Rankings updated…

Virginia blows. One of the lowest talent levels in the ACC. Will go 16-4 though due to supreme coaching
That's BS. No coach is that good. Even Tony Bennett has to have talent to work with.

If you go by recruiting rankings, most of their players are in the top 50-100 range.

I think they have 2 players in this year's starting 5 that will be drafted. Dunn is probably going to be a first rounder based on potential alone. (He played 20 minutes last night & didn't attempt a shot)

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
He’s been here a hell of a lot longer than you and Atleast provides dialog and discussion. All you you is complain and bitch and link Twitter feeds.

Maybe you should go back to your old usernames before you were outed for who you are.
Who was “The Special Sauce” previously?

I hope so. It should for sure. But the whole NET ranking thing aways surprises me.

Pitt’s NET should jump from 60 to probably somewhere between 45-50 after this road win tonight at Virginia.

Obviously there are still lots of games going on tonight, but in his live numbers Pomeroy has us up from 63 to 56. I would expect a similar sort of move on the NET, again, depending on what else happens tonight.

Obviously there are still lots of games going on tonight, but in his live numbers Pomeroy has us up from 63 to 56. I would expect a similar sort of move on the NET, again, depending on what else happens tonight.
Torvik should update shortly as well. Currently at 70, but beat number 36 on road. A 7 spot rise in Ken Pom will translate into a decent move, particularly with the Cuse win tonight.

Damn I saw 56 and our record had changed but I was hoping that wasn’t updated. His metrics are fun to look at if not perfect

Torvik should update shortly as well. Currently at 70, but beat number 36 on road. A 7 spot rise in Ken Pom will translate into a decent move, particularly with the Cuse win tonight.
Actually just updated to 63 as well. Pitt had a game score of 97. Same as versus Duke. They brought it. But it dropped Virginia down 10. Not sure how much Q1A really matters, but would be better if Virginia stayed top 40.

Damn I saw 56 and our record had changed but I was hoping that wasn’t updated. His metrics are fun to look at if not perfect

I don't think there's anything that's perfect, but there is good information there if you understand what you are looking at. As an example, quoting single game offensive ratings is kind of silly, because the numbers can get kind of wonky when you are only talking about a few shots or a few passes.

FWIW, Virginia was 48 and dropped to 53.

I don't think there's anything that's perfect, but there is good information there if you understand what you are looking at. As an example, quoting single game offensive ratings is kind of silly, because the numbers can get kind of wonky when you are only talking about a few shots or a few passes.

FWIW, Virginia was 48 and dropped to 53.
Someone should really do a deep dive *looking at the ACC commish* into why there is such a disrespect for the ACC all of a sudden? Because the names aren’t Roy, K and Boeheim at those schools the league suddenly sucks as a whole? It’s such an odd shift in such a short amount of time

Actually just updated to 63 as well. Pitt had a game score of 97. Same as versus Duke. They brought it. But it dropped Virginia down 10. Not sure how much Q1A really matters, but would be better if Virginia stayed top 40.

Yeah, this deep into the season it's hard for your ranking to move all that much, unless you are getting a big upset against a top team. And for as well as Virginia had played lately they aren't really seen as a top team. Their NET was still only 32. We aren't going to get the same bump from beating them that we did from beating Duke.

Yeah, this deep into the season it's hard for your ranking to move all that much, unless you are getting a big upset against a top team. And for as well as Virginia had played lately they aren't really seen as a top team. Their NET was still only 32. We aren't going to get the same bump from beating them that we did from beating Duke.
As a factor at the end, when comparing resumes against other bubble teams.... tonight was really important as a Q1 road win.

The NET gain is nice - but now we're in the same NET range we ended last season at. So we have to maintain it there.

As a factor at the end, when comparing resumes against other bubble teams.... tonight was really important as a Q1 road win.

The NET gain is nice - but now we're in the same NET range we ended last season at. So we have to maintain it there.

Right, this was a much bigger win for our resume that it was for our NET. And fortunately for us, your resume is much more important than your NET.

Yea I mean it’s gonna take a stretch most likely of winning probably 6 of the next 7 games looking at the schedule. They obviously have to win the next 4 games at GT at Miami and at home against both Wake and Notre Dame which will be difficult but not impossible and if they play anything close to how they played at Duke they can definitely do it. After that they have a 3 game stretch at NC State, at Virginia, and at home against Louisville. They will need to at least split those 2 road games at NC State and at Virginia who are both right now bubble teams and would both be Quad 1 wins if you get at least one, and then obviously they need to beat a terrible Louisville team at home. There is your 6-1 stretch in the next 7 which would get you to 17-8 overall and 8-6 in the ACC and right in the tournament conversation should that indeed happen.
Didn’t think this had a great shot of happening when I posted this about a month ago but sure enough here we are winning 6 of their last 7 games and if they beat Louisville Saturday they would be 17-8 overall and 8-6 in the ACC just like I said they needed to be when I sent this out about a month ago.

Reactions: gilligan 3

Because Virginia isn't a top team. Not even close. I'm still not convinced they are even a NCAA Tourney team. They still have to play Wake, and go on the road to VaTech, UNC, and Duke. I think they go either 1-3 or 0-4 in those games.

With the NBA talent that you alluded to 10 posts ago. Maybe just give Pitt credit for that beating.

It's just 2 players. Dunn will go on potential also because he's a fantastic athlete and can defend anywhere on the court Beekman can't shoot.

Virginia doesn't have great talent. But they also aren't bottom of the league talent like SMF says. It's in line with most ACC teams besides UNC & Duke.

It's just 2 players. Dunn will go on potential also because he's a fantastic athlete and can defend anywhere on the court Beekman can't shoot.

Virginia doesn't have great talent. But they also aren't bottom of the league talent like SMF says. It's in line with most ACC teams besides UNC & Duke.

I was struck by how un-talented UVa was. Dunn? He looks like he sucks at basketball. They have a dude who can shoot it in the kid from the Poca Dots. And they play good defense at times. That's it. Bottom 4 in terms of talent. They're playing scrubs from New Zealand major minutes. They bad. But will go 16-4 in the ACC

I was struck by how un-talented UVa was. Dunn? He looks like he sucks at basketball. They have a dude who can shoot it in the kid from the Poca Dots. And they play good defense at times. That's it. Bottom 4 in terms of talent. They're playing scrubs from New Zealand major minutes. They bad. But will go 16-4 in the ACC
They're currently 10-4 and have Wake, UNC, and Duke left.

They aren't going 16-4.

They might finish as bad as 12-8.

Right, this was a much bigger win for our resume that it was for our NET. And fortunately for us, your resume is much more important than your NET.
It’s why I don’t really get this thread and everyone’s fascination with our NET. Our NET ranking is more important to our opponents who are looking to build their resumes, not to us.

I think they should have jumped at least 10 spots to 50. They won the game by double digits against one of the hottest teams in the country that hasn’t lost at home in their last 23 games. These bracketologists better also get Pitt on their last 4 out or even better categories these next few days. Not too many teams on the bubble have road wins at Duke, Virginia, NC State, and a home win against Wake Forest who are among the last 4 in now. If Pitt goes 6-1 the last 7 games and splits the Wake and Clemson road games and wins their remaining 4 home games and their other road game at Boston College they are in the NCCA tournament. They would be 22-9 overall and 13-7 in the ACC having won 12 of their last 14 conference games with a 4 or 5 seed at worst in the ACC tournament. I don’t see how they don’t make the tournament at this point if that happens.

I think they should have jumped at least 10 spots to 50. They won the game by double digits against one of the hottest teams in the country that hasn’t lost at home in their last 23 games. These bracketologists better also get Pitt on their last 4 out or even better categories these next few days. Not too many teams on the bubble have road wins at Duke, Virginia, NC State, and a home win against Wake Forest who are among the last 4 in now. If Pitt goes 6-1 the last 7 games and splits the Wake and Clemson road games and wins their remaining 4 home games and their other road game at Boston College they are in the NCCA tournament. They would be 22-9 overall and 13-7 in the ACC having won 12 of their last 14 conference games with a 4 or 5 seed at worst in the ACC tournament. I don’t see how they don’t make the tournament at this point if that happens.

Yea. Really surprised we only moved up 7. I was expecting a huge jump but then again, UVa was "only" ranked #32.

It’s why I don’t really get this thread and everyone’s fascination with our NET. Our NET ranking is more important to our opponents who are looking to build their resumes, not to us.

That's what was said when this thing came out. However, that isnt how it works in practice. Your own NET ranking is the most important metric. Is it the only thing? No. But its really important.

These were the only P6 teams rated 67 or better with an over .500 record who didnt get in:

40 Rutgers 19-14 (4 Q3 losses)

43 OK St 18-15 (just too many losses and 6-12 vs Q1 means you are crediting them just for showing up)

46 UNC 20-13 (1 Q1 win)

47 Oregon 19-14 (2 Q1 wins)

60 Clemson 23-10 (4 Q3/4 losses)

61 Michigan 17-15 (2 Q1 wins and 1 Q4 loss)

I think you could make really good cases for Rutgers and Clemson but they were omitted due to too many Q3/4 losses. This is where Pitt has to be careful. We already have 2. Was hoping Syracuse would get a big bump for beating UNC but they didnt. Went from 91 to 85. UNC only dropped 1 to 11. NET expects you to win home games so you cant make up too much ground there. We absolutely cannot afford a 3rd Q3 loss and have to hope Syracuse can find its way into the Top 75. We have 3 more left vs Lou, FSU, and NC St. A loss in any of those could eliminate us even if we win the rest.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT