ADVERTISEMENT

new PT distribution thread

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
Bored at work and sick of talking about Dior let's argue over playing time!

The 1/2 minutes distributed to 3 players. Rather meaningless on the position distinction but will do it anyways.

PG - Carrington 22 Lowe 18
2 guard - Leggett 27 Carrington 8 Lowe 5

3 - Austin 30, Jeffress 10
4 - Hinson 35 JDG 5
5 - Fede 22 GDG 18

Maybe a Barnes, Kante, or Marshall (or random portal guard) grabs some random minutes here or there but seems like it will be something like this to me. Thoughts?

Reactions: gary2

The 1/2 minutes distributed to 3 players. Rather meaningless on the position distinction but will do it anyways.

4 - Hinson 35 JDG 5
5 - Fede 22 GDG 18

Maybe a Barnes, Kante, or Marshall (or random portal guard) grabs some random minutes here or there but seems like it will be something like this to me. Thoughts?
You work?

At the same place that SMF works?

(Just kidding)

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Carrington 25, Lowe 15
Leggett 30, Lowe 5, Carrington 5
Austin 30, Jeffress 10
Hinson 30, Jorge 10
Fede 25, Guillermo 15

Barnes still plays a decent amount at the 2 because of inevitable foul trouble. Same with Kante at the 5. But neither one is part of the regular rotation. Definitely might see some non-garbage time Marshall run at the 1. Think he’s put on scholarship, too.

Only reason why I don’t have Hinson higher is because he was one of the most foul prone players in the conference last year and his average minutes will drop by being on the bench in foul trouble. Maybe being in better shape helps with that?

Carrington 25, Lowe 15
Leggett 30, Lowe 5, Carrington 5
Austin 30, Jeffress 10
Hinson 30, Jorge 10
Fede 25, Guillermo 15

Barnes still plays a decent amount at the 2 because of inevitable foul trouble. Same with Kante at the 5. But neither one is part of the regular rotation. Definitely might see some non-garbage time Marshall run at the 1. Think he’s put on scholarship, too.

Only reason why I don’t have Hinson higher is because he was one of the most foul prone players in the conference last year and his average minutes will drop by being on the bench in foul trouble. Maybe being in better shape helps with that?
Possibly, would hope that translate to a better defender too. With the scoring output likely to decrease a bit, will need his defense and rebounding to compliment Fede/GDG/Kante

Reactions: pittchagg
Possibly, would hope that translate to a better defender too. With the scoring output likely to decrease a bit, will need his defense and rebounding to compliment Fede/GDG/Kante
I think Austin’s presence will help him, too. The numbers suggest that Elliott was a better positional defender than I thought he got credit for last year, but Austin will almost certainly be a more impactful defender at the 3 beside Blake.

4 - Hinson 35 JDG 5
5 - Fede 22 GDG 18

I think Kante is going to see minutes every game, if only 3-5 some nights, but he's going to play. May depend on whether Fede has improved.

4 - Hinson 35 JDG 5
5 - Fede 22 GDG 18

Only thing that sticks out to me in your projection is Jorge with only 5 minutes per game. I’d figure closer to 10.

Who are the players who can handle being the primary ball handler besides Lowe and Carrington? Even if it’s only in a pinch or for short durations? Can Leggett be that guy?

Who are the players who can handle being the primary ball handler besides Lowe and Carrington? Even if it’s only in a pinch or for short durations? Can Leggett be that guy?

Leggett would most likely be next man up. From what I viewed of him playing at Rhode Island, and admittedly I didn't watch a whole lot, but it seemed like there was some meaningless perimeter passes followed by his driving to the hoop as the clock ran down, very little setting up others. Which could be indicative of the talent he played with, or not.

4 - Hinson 35 JDG 5
5 - Fede 22 GDG 18

I think Barnes is the guy who sees no minutes. Kante will get some run here and there they cooks develop into more.

I think ultimately that Lowe ends up with more minutes at PG than Carrington, but it starts out in Carrington’s favor. Carrington will likely see some time at 3 also.

Most looks pretty much on par.

Reactions: gary2
If I had to guess right now, I think that the lack of Dior, without any roster additions, will make them play bigger at times. As in, swing Austin down to the 2 and try to steal more minutes with Jeffress at the 3 or even Hinson/JDG. It just makes too much sense as long as they can successfully safeguard the ball (which will likely come down to PG play). I just do not see too many lineups save closing out games where all 3 guards should play together. Not enough depth otherwise.

As a result, I think that a minutes distribution right now will look something like this:

1/2: Carrington (25), Leggett (25), Lowe (20), Austin (10)
3: Austin (20), Jeffress (15), Hinson/JDG (5)
4: Hinson (25), JDG (10), maybe Fede/Kante (5)
5: Fede (20), GDG (15), Kante (5)

All that is clear with the 1/2 is one of Carrington, Leggett or Lowe needs to be in the game at all times to get the offense started. Austin likely can defend the 2 well (as likely can Jeffress), so they will probably feel fine from time to time with either in the game guarding that possession or taking the two hardest perimeter assignments.

The ball handling aspect makes things more difficult as any combination where they play big provides for less of it. So, I think it should be a situational deal or when they are stuck due to foul trouble or injury.

You take away a guard and I think it clearly makes the Diaz twins more valuable, because they have skill and offense. I look at Austin/Jeffress and while they both certainly can defend, they look like more 3 and D 3 position types to me. So, if you put them on the floor at the same time, you will need skill at the 4/5 (meaning Hinson, JDG and GDG).

I think that this unit still has okay talent but I am less enthused with the combinations. I did not have anything resembling the expectations for Dior that some on this board have, but I was thinking John Johnson. Offense and ballhandling off of the bench, very slight on D, but someone that can get things going offensively and change tempos. Good depth to have if he would have embraced it. Without that, things change even though Carrington may be a lot better than some expect and I doubt that Lowe will have any issues being shy on the floor.

i predict Kante gets 5(ish) minutes per game and that number increases thru the year and my February in the heart of conference play, he's getting double digit minutes.

he can rebound and if you remember watching our team last year, well it's a much-needed skill.

If I had to guess right now, I think that the lack of Dior, without any roster additions, will make them play bigger at times. As in, swing Austin down to the 2 and try to steal more minutes with Jeffress at the 3 or even Hinson/JDG. It just makes too much sense as long as they can successfully safeguard the ball (which will likely come down to PG play). I just do not see too many lineups save closing out games where all 3 guards should play together. Not enough depth otherwise.

As a result, I think that a minutes distribution right now will look something like this:

1/2: Carrington (25), Leggett (25), Lowe (20), Austin (10)
3: Austin (20), Jeffress (15), Hinson/JDG (5)
4: Hinson (25), JDG (10), maybe Fede/Kante (5)
5: Fede (20), GDG (15), Kante (5)

All that is clear with the 1/2 is one of Carrington, Leggett or Lowe needs to be in the game at all times to get the offense started. Austin likely can defend the 2 well (as likely can Jeffress), so they will probably feel fine from time to time with either in the game guarding that possession or taking the two hardest perimeter assignments.

The ball handling aspect makes things more difficult as any combination where they play big provides for less of it. So, I think it should be a situational deal or when they are stuck due to foul trouble or injury.

You take away a guard and I think it clearly makes the Diaz twins more valuable, because they have skill and offense. I look at Austin/Jeffress and while they both certainly can defend, they look like more 3 and D 3 position types to me. So, if you put them on the floor at the same time, you will need skill at the 4/5 (meaning Hinson, JDG and GDG).

I think that this unit still has okay talent but I am less enthused with the combinations. I did not have anything resembling the expectations for Dior that some on this board have, but I was thinking John Johnson. Offense and ballhandling off of the bench, very slight on D, but someone that can get things going offensively and change tempos. Good depth to have if he would have embraced it. Without that, things change even though Carrington may be a lot better than some expect and I doubt that Lowe will have any issues being shy on the floor.
Austin at the 2!? Omg no WAYYYY. You must’ve never watched basketball before… right @joeydavid ?

Austin at the 2!? Omg no WAYYYY. You must’ve never watched basketball before… right @joeydavid ?
I cannot speak to the prior back and forth with you and @joeydavid because I missed it. That said, if they have enough ballhandling on the floor, Austin should be fine at the 2. He can guard the backcourt from what I can tell. Will hit 3s on offense. He is fine there if playing next to the right guys.

I tend to think it plays better if the frontcourt is Hinson and GDG. If Austin plays 2, I think it means Jeffress is playing 3 and in that case I would want more skill overall on the floor.

I am not advocating it for more than short stretches, but I think it is possible.

In another note, since it seems like you know the kid a touch, do you think that there is any chance Hueitt can eat a few minutes at the 2? Or, is he here strictly for practice?

PG Lowe 30 Carrington 10
SG Leggett 30 Carrington 10
SF Austin 25 Jeffress 15
PF Hinson 30 Jorge 10
C Federiko 25 Guillermo 15

I dont see Barnes or Hueitt in the rotation. May get PT here and there. Having only 3 players for the 1 and 2 makes things extremely difficult. A lot of teams have a 3 guard offense. We only have 3 guard total and 2 are freshmen. There's no way Capel thought there was a possibility Dior wouldn't be here.

PG Lowe 30 Carrington 10
SG Leggett 30 Carrington 10
SF Austin 25 Jeffress 15
PF Hinson 30 Jorge 10
C Federiko 25 Guillermo 15

I dont see Barnes or Hueitt in the rotation. May get PT here and there. Having only 3 players for the 1 and 2 makes things extremely difficult. A lot of teams have a 3 guard offense. We only have 3 guard total and 2 are freshmen. There's no way Capel thought there was a possibility Dior wouldn't be here.
When Jeffress was last seen playing, wasn't he a guard? I seem to recall Capel stating that.

cause he's terrible. sorry to be that guy but it is what it is.
We also don't have 4 shooters. We have one shooter who has taken a significant amount of 3's that we know will hit them in games, or at least have in the past, and he is going to be doubled and never helped off. He's gonna have to find a way to get his own shot a bit or else he will struggle to even average what he did last year now that he is the only focal point of the offense.

We also don't have 4 shooters. We have one shooter who has taken a significant amount of 3's that we know will hit them in games, or at least have in the past, and he is going to be doubled and never helped off. He's gonna have to find a way to get his own shot a bit or else he will struggle to even average what he did last year now that he is the only focal point of the offense.

Yeah, I gotta give you that one. Poor choice of words on my part, but there should still be enough options that he's not relied on to score when on the court.

Anyway, my intent was merely to point out he's a guard (or at least was), not like I was advocating to run the offense thru him.

Yeah, I gotta give you that one. Poor choice of words on my part, but there should still be enough options that he's not relied on to score when on the court.

Anyway, my intent was merely to point out he's a guard (or at least was), not like I was advocating to run the offense thru him.
Yeah, but even not considering any offense, is he adequate/quick enough to defend any true guard?

Yeah, but even not considering any offense, is he adequate/quick enough to defend any true guard?

As far as his quickness, I don't know, would depend on the match-up I imagine. I think he could have guarded Elliott - no?

His length should help in a zone as well, which we occasionally play.

He'd be the 4th guard, so limited minutes, less is more situation. I don't see him being any worse than Santos last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT