ADVERTISEMENT

Next 2 games will define the season

whirlybird optio

Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
We win them both, we are 18-4, probably a top 20ish RPI, we'd have a win over a team (UVA) that is a top 10 team. We'd have to really collapse to not make the NCAA's at that point. We'd probably only have to win 3 of 8 to get in.

Beat VT, lose to UVA...you can still make the tournament but no margin for error now. Would probably have to beat both UL/Duke at home.

Lose both...NIT at best.

I'm not happy with how we have been playing lately, but splitting the last two road games wasn't horrible. The home games are so important though, I would love to see a solid, comfortable win over a good VT team on Sunday, and then hopefully a crazy environment against UVA (blackout).

Reactions: cabe23
If Pitt wins both or loses both, it defines our season.

If Pitt splits, everything is still about where it is now.

We win them both, we are 18-4, probably a top 20ish RPI, we'd have a win over a team (UVA) that is a top 10 team. We'd have to really collapse to not make the NCAA's at that point. We'd probably only have to win 3 of 8 to get in.

Beat VT, lose to UVA...you can still make the tournament but no margin for error now. Would probably have to beat both UL/Duke at home.

Lose both...NIT at best.

I'm not happy with how we have been playing lately, but splitting the last two road games wasn't horrible. The home games are so important though, I would love to see a solid, comfortable win over a good VT team on Sunday, and then hopefully a crazy environment against UVA (blackout).

Yea. We win them both, we're in. Your post was exactly right.

To take it a step further, we win them both, we are 2 road wins (ar Miami, at UNC) from the 2 seed line as crazy and unrealistic as that sounds. Point is at 2:00 next Saturday, we could be playing for NIT seeding in the upcoming games or a potential 2/3 seed in the NCAAT. The next 80 min determine the fate of our season.

whirly, The part about VT being a GOOD TEAM.. Sorry, they are not. Reading Comprehension 101
Virginia Tech is a highly improved team that is trending up. Buzz has injected life into that program. They are at least above average and will be a stiff test fro the Panthers. These two games will dictate the possible post season for Pitt.

If Pitt doesn't start playing defense we'll get blown out against VT too. Right now we have a team literally in turmoil. No one wants to play defense(or knows how), we have no inside presence which is being exposed now every game and our senior point guard has done next to nothing except for 1 good half against Florida State. Add to that Buzz has Jamie's number and I am not that optimistic. I hope I'm wrong but I see Pitt losing again by double digits. I'm telling you that Louisville game utterly destroyed their confidence.

Reactions: jctrack
Yea. We win them both, we're in. Your post was exactly right.

To take it a step further, we win them both, we are 2 road wins (ar Miami, at UNC) from the 2 seed line as crazy and unrealistic as that sounds. Point is at 2:00 next Saturday, we could be playing for NIT seeding in the upcoming games or a potential 2/3 seed in the NCAAT. The next 80 min determine the fate of our season.

I know it seems like we haven't beaten anyone, but we have 4 top 50 RPI wins, with 3 of the 4 being road/neutral. The 2013 team that was a 9 seed had one (Stanford) prior to beating UNC in the ACCT.

We are in better shape than we realize, or maybe than we deserve, but it just feels like we are constantly on the precipice of a collapse.,,

I know it seems like we haven't beaten anyone, but we have 4 top 50 RPI wins, with 3 of the 4 being road/neutral. The 2013 team that was a 9 seed had one (Stanford) prior to beating UNC in the ACCT.

We are in better shape than we realize, or maybe than we deserve, but it just feels like we are constantly on the precipice of a collapse.,,

I only count three top 50 RPI wins and it appears likely ND and FSU will fall out by season end. Not good. It behooves this team to start making noise starting tomorrow.

Lose both...NIT at best.

There are 10 ACC games left plus the tourney. I don't think anything will be defined by these 2 games.

so if pitt wins the next 2 it can raise the 2015-2016 national championship banner in the pete directly after the UVA game, right? defining.

There are 10 ACC games left plus the tourney. I don't think anything will be defined by these 2 games.

Of course not, but these two games will indeed mean an awful lot as whirly's original post described.

Reactions: bobfree
Pitt is not a young team. we laid an egg at home against NC State. If we do it again against a decent VT team, it would be hard to see how this team rebounds.
we have laid a few eggs. the kids and coach know this is a big game. If we can't come out and beat a team we are clearly more talented than, its a really bad sign.

hey, anything can happen. I was at a game in the 80's, Pitt vs Villanova, at the Field House. Pitt won by 20. Villanova won the national championship that year. still, there is no way the kids/coaches can't be ready to put on a good performance tomorrow.

If you go by RPI, this is what needs to happen. Pitt must win one of the next two. The must beat WF, and GT. Then, they must win two of three from among VT, and Cuse on the road, and Louisville at home. That will leave them with an rpi in the high 30s, going into the ACC Tournament. RPI is not the be all, and end all, but ACC teams with rpis under 40 are almost never left at home. Now, a loss to a bad team in the first round of the ACCs could indeed sink us. That said, if we could win just one more, in addition to the five I pointed out, we'd be a lock going into the conference tournament. Keep in mind that the SOS is going to increase strongly down the stretch, as we play some of the best teams on our schedule. Because of that, we won't fall much, provided we pretty much split these last 10 games. Lack of big wins might cause us to get a poor seed, but it won't knock us out of the bracket.
Going by Live-RPI.com, Pitt is 0-2 vs the top 25, 4-0 vs 26-50, and 4-2 vs 51-100.

Root for those teams between 26-50 to stay there. Root for Davidson to get back into the top 50, and root for Duquesne, NCSt., Kent, and FSU to stay in the top 100.

Last edited:
Before ACC started, I had us at 5-3 with loss at ND, but win against NC St. We need to win at least 1 of next 2, but preferably both. Just can't afford to lose many at home. A loss tonight would not be good.

Before ACC started, I had us at 5-3 with loss at ND, but win against NC St. We need to win at least 1 of next 2, but preferably both. Just can't afford to lose many at home. A loss tonight would not be good.
Agree. Can't lose to VT at home. Win tonight, and we're still in solid position to be dancing. A loss would put pressure on us to beat one of the teams at the top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT