ADVERTISEMENT

Now we can put that insufferable stiff Stallings behind us...

I put him behind me as soon as he was hired
Not me. That was the worst Easter of my life. I walked around like a zombie because I couldn’t believe what I was reading about what Barnes was about to do. Then the official announcement came, and at that moment I committed to supporting Stallings because it’s what I thought we had to do. We had no choice.

But then the fan base threw a tantrum and acted just as deplorable as Barnes and Stallings. They all created such a toxic environment that it left Heather with no choice. As it turns out, tantrums do work, despite what my mother taught me as a kid.

I was wrong In being one of the few who tried to keep things positive. I own it. I would have never dreamed Heather could do what she did.

Btw, has the university extended or locked her up? The suitors will be lining up soon if they haven’t started already.

And Dixon.
Pitt basketball ended up in a funk under Dixon that he was never going to pull us out of. So in a sense, the Pitt program had an illness which couldn’t respond to any treatment. Then Dr. Kevin Stallings-Kevorkian came in and ended things rather quickly. And just as quickly, Jeff Capel is bringing the program back from the dead.

Not me. That was the worst Easter of my life. I walked around like a zombie because I couldn’t believe what I was reading about what Barnes was about to do. Then the official announcement came, and at that moment I committed to supporting Stallings because it’s what I thought we had to do. We had no choice.

But then the fan base threw a tantrum and acted just as deplorable as Barnes and Stallings. They all created such a toxic environment that it left Heather with no choice. As it turns out, tantrums do work, despite what my mother taught me as a kid.

I was wrong In being one of the few who tried to keep things positive. I own it. I would have never dreamed Heather could do what she did.

Btw, has the university extended or locked her up? The suitors will be lining up soon if they haven’t started already.

yeah I remember that Easter too. I also was willing to give it a chance. I thought a veteran coach with a veteran team in the ACC may not be such a bad thing. But then he didn't go out and get a point guard for that first year which was desperately needed, and the losses started and then suddenly the narrative became that the seniors were bad kids and not coach-able. Stallings was pretty much toast after that.

So yeah the fans didn't help with the environment but give them credit for recognizing a con when they see it.

Pitt basketball ended up in a funk under Dixon that he was never going to pull us out of. So in a sense, the Pitt program had an illness which couldn’t respond to any treatment. Then Dr. Kevin Stallings-Kevorkian came in and ended things rather quickly. And just as quickly, Jeff Capel is bringing the program back from the dead.

I mean, the level of dixon’s “Funk” would be a level we’d all be thrilled to get back to.

Pitt basketball ended up in a funk under Dixon that he was never going to pull us out of.

And just as quickly, Jeff Capel is bringing the program back from the dead.

You don't know either of these two to be true. The first, we'll never know. Hopefully the second comes true.

While I was firmly a JD man there’s no denying the program had peaked and was spiraling towards the bottom third of the ACC . I truly believe that JC ( not because of last nights W ) is the best thing that happened to Pitt bb since the Ben Howland hiring . Without Barnes and Stallings do we get JC ? Sometimes things work out for the best just not the way it was planned out .

You don't know either of these two to be true. The first, we'll never know. Hopefully the second comes true.
I hate when threads evolve into this kind of discussion, because I was as big of a Jamie guy as anyone. I still love the guy and appreciate everything he did for us. But in a decade, he never once met expectations in the NCAA and played to his seed line. So, when the program got to a point where he lost the linkage, lost the class balance, and was unable to adapt to the ACC and recruiting the type of players needed to compete, how much longer were you willing to wait, when even at our programs peak, several years prior to his departure, we still couldn't compete in the post season? The change was good for Jamie, and you are right, it remains to be seen if it was good for us. For me, a lot of it depends on if Capel sees this thing through over the long haul. But if he does, I think our teams will be capable of some NCAA runs every now and again.

Reactions: Pitt Panther 814
Pitt fans make me scratch my head sometimes. Bringing up a former coach who was the best coach we've had in decades in any sport and trying to diminish his accomplishments is just plain stupid. But that's what Pitt fans do. It's boring.

We have our coach now and the previous 2 coaches, good or bad, are forgotten and irrelevant. They're as distant as Jock Sutherland, for all intents and purposes. Enjoy what we have and appreciate it for what it is.

I hate when threads evolve into this kind of discussion, because I was as big of a Jamie guy as anyone. I still love the guy and appreciate everything he did for us. But in a decade, he never once met expectations in the NCAA and played to his seed line. So, when the program got to a point where he lost the linkage, lost the class balance, and was unable to adapt to the ACC and recruiting the type of players needed to compete, how much longer were you willing to wait, when even at our programs peak, several years prior to his departure, we still couldn't compete in the post season? The change was good for Jamie, and you are right, it remains to be seen if it was good for us. For me, a lot of it depends on if Capel sees this thing through over the long haul. But if he does, I think our teams will be capable of some NCAA runs every now and again.

Good lord, let it go.

How do people never get tired of rehashing the same Dixon talk week after week? Nothing new comes out, it is the same rehashing of the same opinions again, and again, and again, and again. There is so much Capel stuff to talk about. Come on people!
It must be what guys do on this board. It's really not discussed much on the pay board. I got sucked down the rabbit hole here. Time to go back the the pay board.

I don’t why people have to continually bring up Dixon to bash him. It is insane to me.

I think people realize we were headed to the bottom with either JD or KS and there is enough blame to share. Unfortunately JD and KS will always be linked given how events played out.

I will, however, thank KS for getting us lower than JD probably would have, and far quicker too! It sped up our recovery.

I mean, the level of dixon’s “Funk” would be a level we’d all be thrilled to get back to.
That may be true. That said, I hope you enjoy watching XJ and TREY the next so many years in a Pitt uniform. Under Dixon, You were never going to get guard play like that. He was bringing in Justice Kithcart and Clark, who was a broken man. There is a Renaissance going on right now in Pitt basketball, embrace it and the new coach. I am beyond tired of of seeing posts about the old guy whether you liked him or not!

It must be what guys do on this board. It's really not discussed much on the pay board. I got sucked down the rabbit hole here. Time to go back the the pay board.

I think there is still resentment over how things played out towards the end. I think it is time to let it go though and realize we are in a better place because of how events unfolded.

I put the dark years behind me the minute Capel was hired

Unfortunately many fans find it hard to simply enjoy the moment and the process of building a winner and feel the need to dissect the past ad nauseum

Why not just enjoy watching the coaches develop the players and team play a super entertaining brand of hoops

I put the dark years behind me the minute Capel was hired.

Why not just enjoy watching the coaches develop the players and team play a super entertaining brand of hoops
This is a bingo. It’s what I was hoping we’d get last year. Win or lose, I was content to watch every game and watch the young kids grow and get better. But it did not quite work out that way unfortunately.

I put the dark years behind me the minute Capel was hired

Unfortunately many fans find it hard to simply enjoy the moment and the process of building a winner and feel the need to dissect the past ad nauseum

Sermon from the mountain...save your breath ... very trite in any event

JD , Stallings , CSmith , JLane , BShorter , Ben Howland , Paul Evans and so on are all part of Pitt bb
history . There’s good and there’s bad , but those of us who’ve followed Pitt bb for yrs we all have different memories of those guys and at times I enjoy reading about them . If someone wants to praise or bash a former player or coach that’s their prerogative , if it’s just senseless nonsense from the same poster I block them so I don’t have to read their bs .

I miss those making the ncaa tournament funks and only going 9-9 in the acc.

Reactions: levance2
If we make any post season this year it will be a miracle
Are you serious? It's year 1 with Capel, he had to rush to fill this roster and he did a damn fine job doing it!! We've already exceeded expectations and after beating Louisville Wednesday the NIT imo is more than a miracle.

11 ncaa appearances in 13 years isn’t mediocrity.
No matter how dumb people think it is.
An NCAA tourney appearance isn’t much different than a bowl appearance when you go 9-9 in conference and have no chance of stringing 2 wins together, let alone 6. But yet you’re ready to move on from Narduzzi.

Weird that you took issue with my use of the word funk. I didn’t think that was debatable. But you’ll debate anything.

Reactions: Noah Bonner
ADVERTISEMENT