ADVERTISEMENT

Oh snap! Strong quotes by Rowan

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
http://triblive.com/sports/otherlocal/8860032-74/rowan-state-lincoln#axzz3hmeDqVVO

Daddy should have told him to keep his mouth shut. But honestly, I give him credit, I guess for just saying whatever popped into his head because this is maybe the most open and honest I may ever remember a recruit being. Here's some quotes if you dont want to read the article:

- Pitt wasn't the greatest fit for me; N.C. State was. Sometimes, I don't think I would have fit well in Jamie Dixon's offense, the system he runs. I can go to N.C. State and play the wing spot, win some games and, hopefully, a national championship.”

- “I think people do misunderstand me, but I couldn't care less. I'm going to go out and try to prove them wrong. People don't understand what's going on because it's not a basketball town.”

- “It'll probably be a negative (homecoming), but I couldn't care less. They should still show me love. There have been other guys who came from Pittsburgh go to other schools. I think it would be more positive from the adults, but I think the (Oakland) Zoo will give it to me.”

- "“It's very important to represent the city where I grew up. Some Western Pa. guys have made it out. I haven't made it yet. I have to represent where I came from, and give Western Pennsylvania a little bit of respect.”

All I can say is WOW! Thanks for that! And we thought the Birch interview was bad? Where do we start with this?

Well, first of all, Mav has shown in the last few years (and through this interview) to be a primadonna and probably the exact kind of player that Jamie never gets (and maybe shouldn't). Be that as it may though, he took a shot at Jamie's system and even though some of you continue to defend it until the end, I'm telling you for a fact that his system and style of play is scaring off recruits. In many ways, the high-level visible success we had in the Big East may actually have hurt our current recruiting as that kind of style didn't appeal to these recruits. In a way, it would be kinda similar to no matter how great Georgia Tech football ends up being, I would never want to play there as a top-ranked WR.

The "they should show me love" comment is just really bad. I mean, come on Mav, really??? I know a lot of people were upset we booed Fuss-Cheatham every time he touched the ball but as long as the fans keep it clean, I have no problem and even encourage stuff like that. My recommendation for when Rowan touches the ball is to chant "Daddy." If he's at the foul line, I think the Zoo should chant "Pittsburgh hates you" similar to how Cavs fans chanted "Akron hates you" to LeBron.

Honestly, this NC State game is the game I am most looking forward to besides Duke. It could end up being one of those "special" atmospheres. Probably for the wrong reasons but still. By the looks of it, Mav is game. I hope the Zoo is too. Should be really, really fun!

- Pitt wasn't the greatest fit for me; N.C. State was. Sometimes, I don't think I would have fit well in Jamie Dixon's offense, the system he runs. I can go to N.C. State and play the wing spot, win some games and, hopefully, a national championship.”

I guess Dixon changed his system in the last couple years since Mav verballed... That must be it.

I guess Dixon changed his system in the last couple years since Mav verballed... That must be it.

No, its just he committed before going through the whole recruiting process and the other coaches negative-recruited him to re-think Dixon and his system. I mean, if anything, we have learned that Rowans aren't the brightest of bulbs so to commit to a system and then rip that same system is not all that surprising considering the source.

No, its just he committed before going through the whole recruiting process and the other coaches negative-recruited him to re-think Dixon and his system. I mean, if anything, we have learned that Rowans aren't the brightest of bulbs so to commit to a system and then rip that same system is not all that surprising considering the source.
So the Rowans listened to the negative recruiting?? He wants to get lots of shots. Maybe we're better off w/o him??

I don't generally look to 18 year old kids for wisdom and this semi rant reminds me why I have that point of view.
There is no reason for me to give my impressions of this person or his Father.
He is going to school somewhere other than Pitt. That makes him like the other 99.9% of players. A foe on the court. what he does off the court could not interest me less.
As for on the court, time will tell.
As for Fuss Cheatum, I was at the game.
He brought some of that on himself with his mouth leading up to the game and over the years.
I assure you, it is nothing compared to the abuse some of the IU players endured this year playing in Columbus.
Where is FC now?

Reactions: pelfrey
The ZOO should show him 'the love' in no uncertain terms... like Philly showed Kobe Bryant 'the love'.

Yeah, and if his dad has the nerve to show up in the stands than he should get it also... until he leaves.... and then they should do the left right left right thing until he is out the door and then finish with 'get outta here'.

So the Rowans listened to the negative recruiting?? He wants to get lots of shots. Maybe we're better off w/o him??

Can you explain, then, why this kid committed to play in Dixon's system, then comes out and publicly rips the same system 2 years later? Either they are just not very bright or the negative recruiting got to them. Remember, this kid aint going to play for Louisville or UK or UNC or some blue blood or "almost blue blood." He's going to play at a program that is very very similar to the one that he decommitted from.......and style of play is a huge reason why, that is if you believe what words came out of his mouth.

http://triblive.com/sports/otherlocal/8860032-74/rowan-state-lincoln#axzz3hmeDqVVO

Daddy should have told him to keep his mouth shut. But honestly, I give him credit, I guess for just saying whatever popped into his head because this is maybe the most open and honest I may ever remember a recruit being. Here's some quotes if you dont want to read the article:

- “I think people do misunderstand me, but I couldn't care less. I'm going to go out and try to prove them wrong. People don't understand what's going on because it's not a basketball town.”

- “It'll probably be a negative (homecoming), but I couldn't care less. They should still show me love. There have been other guys who came from Pittsburgh go to other schools. I think it would be more positive from the adults, but I think the (Oakland) Zoo will give it to me.”

- "“It's very important to represent the city where I grew up. Some Western Pa. guys have made it out. I haven't made it yet. I have to represent where I came from, and give Western Pennsylvania a little bit of respect.”

All I can say is WOW! Thanks for that! And we thought the Birch interview was bad? Where do we start with this?

Well, first of all, Mav has shown in the last few years (and through this interview) to be a primadonna and probably the exact kind of player that Jamie never gets (and maybe shouldn't). Be that as it may though, he took a shot at Jamie's system and even though some of you continue to defend it until the end, I'm telling you for a fact that his system and style of play is scaring off recruits. In many ways, the high-level visible success we had in the Big East may actually have hurt our current recruiting as that kind of style didn't appeal to these recruits. In a way, it would be kinda similar to no matter how great Georgia Tech football ends up being, I would never want to play there as a top-ranked WR.

The "they should show me love" comment is just really bad. I mean, come on Mav, really??? I know a lot of people were upset we booed Fuss-Cheatham every time he touched the ball but as long as the fans keep it clean, I have no problem and even encourage stuff like that. My recommendation for when Rowan touches the ball is to chant "Daddy." If he's at the foul line, I think the Zoo should chant "Pittsburgh hates you" similar to how Cavs fans chanted "Akron hates you" to LeBron.

Honestly, this NC State game is the game I am most looking forward to besides Duke. It could end up being one of those "special" atmospheres. Probably for the wrong reasons but still. By the looks of it, Mav is game. I hope the Zoo is too. Should be really, really fun!

I'll restrict my comment to one issue--top players choosing where they want to play based on the type of offensive system the head coach uses. I didn't used to put much credence in that--but it's a fact. We've heard it from Rowan and others we have missed out on. We heard Tom Izzo lamenting the way the rules have changed and the way games are called to favor one on one offensive basketball, and that "i guess I'm going to have to change some things to get some of these kids to play for me." But most tellingly for me, I have a very good friend whose godson was a national top 50 kid, a wing player in the class of 2015. Veryu similar type of player to Rowan. He was looking at a bunch of top programs and selected one where he would be allowed to operate freely offensively. His runner up was Michigan State. I asked my friend how important style of play was to the kid's decision. He said it was the #1 factor in his decision. He felt he would get more shots and score more in the offense he went to than he would in Izzo's more structured system. The stuff he said was a lot like the stuff Rowan is saying. The kid said he likes Izzo and would have preferred to play at MSU--but it was all about getting his shots. He wants to play in the NBA and thinks the free-flowing offense he will be playing in will best help him get there.

This is the reality of college basketball today.

This thread illustrates the ME FIRST, I am entitled, selfishness so rampant today in sports and throughout society.

On an NCAA basketball only level it also illustrates (Izzo remarks, etc) why the new emphasis in rules and officiating are going to be detrimental to all but the blue blood programs. IMHO the rules are going to be very damaging to Pitt, and schools like Pitt, who will never get the talent level the blue bloods do since it will no longer be possible to offset their pure talent disadvantage by physical hard nosed defensive play.

In the end, this will be detrimental to the college game since a handful of schools will ultimately always dominate (with an occasional corrupt cheater sneaking in). Cinderellas will become virtually extinct. This is a very sad situation.

Last edited:
I'll restrict my comment to one issue--top players choosing where they want to play based on the type of offensive system the head coach uses. I didn't used to put much credence in that--but it's a fact. We've heard it from Rowan and others we have missed out on. We heard Tom Izzo lamenting the way the rules have changed and the way games are called to favor one on one offensive basketball, and that "i guess I'm going to have to change some things to get some of these kids to play for me." But most tellingly for me, I have a very good friend whose godson was a national top 50 kid, a wing player in the class of 2015. Veryu similar type of player to Rowan. He was looking at a bunch of top programs and selected one where he would be allowed to operate freely offensively. His runner up was Michigan State. I asked my friend how important style of play was to the kid's decision. He said it was the #1 factor in his decision. He felt he would get more shots and score more in the offense he went to than he would in Izzo's more structured system. The stuff he said was a lot like the stuff Rowan is saying. The kid said he likes Izzo and would have preferred to play at MSU--but it was all about getting his shots. He wants to play in the NBA and thinks the free-flowing offense he will be playing in will best help him get there.

All kids are different, but generally speaking, I'd say style of play is the #1 factor kids look for followed by the "coolness" of the head coach. Kids dont want to be yelled at nowadays. Bobby Knight would never win a game today because none of these players would ever want to play for him. Its a different generation of players. They want the HC to be their "boy."

The probability that the coach can get them to the NBA ranks right up there but could just fall under "style of play." Conference affiliation and TV networks have almost no meaning now. 20 years ago, they were a huge deal.

Rowan is about the 4th or 5th kid that we've missed out on in the last few years that have publicly stated they made their college choice at least partially on style of play..........yet people still believe its a non-issue.

This thread illustrates the ME FIRST, I am entitled, selfishness so rampant today in sports and throughout society.

On an NCAA basketball only level it also illustrates (Izzo remarks, etc) why the new emphasis in rules and officiating are going to be detrimental to all but the blue blood programs. IMHO the rules are going to be very damaging to Pitt, and schools like Pitt, who will never get the talent level the blue bloods do since it will no longer be possible to offset their pure talent disadvantage by physical hard nosed defensive play.

In the end, this will be detrimental to the college game since a handful of schools will ultimately always dominate (with an occasional corrupt cheater sneaking in). Cinderellas will become virtually extinct. This is a very sad situation.
I agree with this and fear we are already seeing it happen.

So Dixon should change his style of play, to get the 2nd or 3rd tier prima donnas? He's never going to get the first tier guys, anyhow.

I don't think he is going to be better off playing someone else's style with less talent than they have.

Can you explain, then, why this kid committed to play in Dixon's system, then comes out and publicly rips the same system 2 years later? Either they are just not very bright or the negative recruiting got to them. Remember, this kid aint going to play for Louisville or UK or UNC or some blue blood or "almost blue blood." He's going to play at a program that is very very similar to the one that he decommitted from.......and style of play is a huge reason why, that is if you believe what words came out of his mouth.
The kid had previously talked about playing at Pitt as a great choice for him. Obviously, his father had other ideas. The Adidas job in Fla. might have been the turning point. I have no idea if $$$ was involved, and don't care at this point. Kids make dumb comments all the time, no big deal. I'm sure that opposing coaches use "style" to recruit against Dixon. All those wins on Dixon's scorecard must be missing.

I should also add that NCSU was in the mix for my buddy's godson right to the end. My buddy attended Peach Jam with his godson, and one of Gottfried's assistants spent a lot of time talking to my buddy, knowing that he was very close to the kid (FWIW my buddy wanted the kid to play for Izzo). A lot of the discussion was about how NCSU emphasizes wing scoring and wants talented scorers to get their shots. TJ Warren's name came up a lot.

I'm going to add in my .02 cents and say that pretty much anyone that is athletic enough to earn a D-IA scholarship is to some extent is a bit self and a bit full of themselves. I don't see why Rowan would be any different.

Reactions: vinniep33
The kid had previously talked about playing at Pitt as a great choice for him. Obviously, his father had other ideas. The Adidas job in Fla. might have been the turning point. I have no idea if $$$ was involved, and don't care at this point. Kids make dumb comments all the time, no big deal. I'm sure that opposing coaches use "style" to recruit against Dixon. All those wins on Dixon's scorecard must be missing.

Today's generation doesn't care about "team goals" (aka wins) as they do themselves. Rowan wants to score a ton of points and get to the NBA. If he wins some games along the way, great.

Reactions: vinniep33
So Dixon should change his style of play, to get the 2nd or 3rd tier prima donnas? He's never going to get the first tier guys, anyhow.

I don't think he is going to be better off playing someone else's style with less talent than they have.

FWIW, I dont believe he should change his style of play. Well, maybe a little more offensive-minded but no drastic change. He is who he is. If we want to play a more up-tempo style, then Jamie probably isnt the best guy to do that for us. His system wins games and will continue to do so I believe.

I think the point is that a lot of these kids are starting to care less about program success and more about their own in making their college decisions. What good is winning if you're only averaging 9 ppg--that won't get you to the NBA. Only the 7 footers are drafted for their defensive prowess--for everyone else, they have to be able to score. Unfortunately, it;'s hard to blame them for acting in what they perceive to be their own best interests.

If a kid is more concerned about how many shots he getting rather than if the team is winning, that's fine with me. As long as he's doing it elsewhere.

Also, I don't understand why a kid who goes somewhere else thinks we should still show him love just because he's from somewhere near Pittsburgh. If he's not playing for Pitt, I don't care one way or another if he's from Western PA or Madagascar. But if you are saying we don't know anything because we are not from a basketball town and that you don't care what kind of reception you get when your return as an opponent, but that we should still show you love, then you are a clown.

Reactions: CJ_Pittfan

Sounds like he is the puppet and daddy is the ventriloquist. Anthony Moronelli situation ll over again. The kid should have let sleeping dogs lie.

Really sounds like Dixons system is a major turnoff for most elite recruits....can't spin it any other way...period.

Really sounds like Dixons system is a major turnoff for most elite recruits....can't spin it any other way...period.
Last winter we were bitching about all the shots that wouldn't go in. Now you are defending a kid who was worried he wouldn't get enough shots. If you can make shots you will get all the shots you want regardless of the "system".

Last winter we were bitching about all the shots that wouldn't go in. Now you are defending a kid who was worried he wouldn't get enough shots. If you can make shots you will get all the shots you want regardless of the "system".

I think "Dixon's system" is overblown regarding not letting offensive players play. Artis shot and scored a LOT down the stretch this past season, and Lamar had pretty free reign to do whatever he wanted. There were reports of Dixon telling Chris Jones to shoot MORE because he thought he could be a weapon. Dixon will let you shoot if you are good. We just don't always have a ton of players who are necessarily good enough to get free reign.

Still, that is what people are saying about him, and people will continue to use that to recruit against him.

I think "Dixon's system" is overblown regarding not letting offensive players play

There's some truth to this, its not as "bad" as its made seem. However, his "system" is very easy prey for negative recruiters who are trying to convince recruits that they'll score more points and take more shots in their systems.

Sam, Lamar, Brad, Ashton, Jamel, all got their points. That guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Ate paint chips as a child probably.

Sam, Lamar, Brad, Ashton, Jamel, all got their points. That guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Ate paint chips as a child probably.

People score points at every school. I mean, even the worst teams and worst coaches are going to have guys that score 12-14 PPG. So, Artis and Gibbs scoring points isn't a selling point. Guys that know the incatriacies of offenses much more than we do can probably effectively negatively recruit against Dixon's system......and some of them can point to NBA talent such as Gottfried who has put a good number of players in the NBA despite having mediocre teams.

Personally, though I would rather play a little more up-tempo (and I think Jamie would like to also), I dont think our system is failing us. Its the way the system is perceived and recruited against. Pitt is typecast as this blue-collar, workman-like group of lesser skilled players who bully their way to wins. We havent been like that in maybe 10 years but that's what the perception is and in some ways, our success a decade ago may have hurt current recruiting because the millenials growing up watching that didn't say "wow, I want to play for that great team," they were probably thinking, "I want to play at a place that is more free-flowing."

More than anything, Jamie is fighting perception.

People score points at every school. I mean, even the worst teams and worst coaches are going to have guys that score 12-14 PPG. So, Artis and Gibbs scoring points isn't a selling point. Guys that know the incatriacies of offenses much more than we do can probably effectively negatively recruit against Dixon's system......and some of them can point to NBA talent such as Gottfried who has put a good number of players in the NBA despite having mediocre teams.

Personally, though I would rather play a little more up-tempo (and I think Jamie would like to also), I dont think our system is failing us. Its the way the system is perceived and recruited against. Pitt is typecast as this blue-collar, workman-like group of lesser skilled players who bully their way to wins. We havent been like that in maybe 10 years but that's what the perception is and in some ways, our success a decade ago may have hurt current recruiting because the millenials growing up watching that didn't say "wow, I want to play for that great team," they were probably thinking, "I want to play at a place that is more free-flowing."

More than anything, Jamie is fighting perception.
How many offenses are free flowing? Not even UK is. Their offense was ugly at times, and they were stocked with NBA players. It is possible what you wrote is happening as far as negative recruiting, but you really have no idea, nor do I, what opposing coaches are saying, you're just trying to fit a narrative around what appears to be happening. You may not be wrong, but you may not be correct either.

How many offenses are free flowing? Not even UK is. Their offense was ugly at times, and they were stocked with NBA players. It is possible what you wrote is happening as far as negative recruiting, but you really have no idea, nor do I, what opposing coaches are saying, you're just trying to fit a narrative around what appears to be happening. You may not be wrong, but you may not be correct either.

Its all about salesmanship. UK is a different beast but as far as "like schools" like NCSU or the fighting Buzz Williams's (then Marq, now VT), they are able to "sell" their offensive system. It has surprised nobody that Buzz seems to have VT on the upswing and I feel within a few years will be a semi-consistent NCAAT team? Why? Is he some genius coach? No, but he's able to sell his system to recruits. Gottfriend and Buzz aren't playing Loyola Marymount or Tark the Shark offenses but players (and their handlers) like what they do. Same goes for Hoiberg at ISU.

The perception of Pitt's offense is: "Throw the ball up and go get the offensive rebound." Now, maybe opposing coaches aren't exactly that harsh but my feeling (and yea, its just my feeling) is that they are absolutely pounding Jamie's offense in living rooms, whether that's completely warranted or not.

The real problem here is relying on a 15-16 y/o kids commitment and then being upset when he changes his mind. Ever been 15 have 15 y/o kids? Enough said.
Ps he deserves to get brutalized in good taste of course by the zoo . All he needed to say was I committed to early and Pitt is a great place ,but I found the best place for me.

Out of curiosity, what does he mean by "some Western PA guys have made it out"? Western PA isn't exactly Compton or the Bronx. Does this middle class (I'm assuming) kid think he is overcoming some huge obstacles to escape his circumstances and get away from this place?

Sorry to prolong this thread, but this kid just sounds like some delusional nut to me. Maybe he'll turn out to be a great player, but the more I read about him the less disappointed I am about his decommitment.

Ps he deserves to get brutalized in good taste of course by the zoo . All he needed to say was I committed to early and Pitt is a great place ,but I found the best place for me.
Better to be brutalized by a vicious elbow to the orbital bone, Chevy style. Then, win the game, of course.

Unfortunately Pitt has demonstrated little will for the former style of play, which not coincidentally has led to fewer and fewer instances of the latter result.

Hopefully such comments will piss off Jamie, and more importantly, the players, to make then bust their asses to work harder and play with an edge ... like the most successful of Jamie's teams.

Geez I feel bad our awesome city of Pittsburgh could produce such a douche.

I'll make a special trip in for that game no matter when it is to boo this ass clown.

Oh, come the hell on. Sour grapes to an entirely different level.
Hardly sour grapes, as he's been out of our picture for over a year. Any "family" that bounces a kid around w/o finishing H.S. until a couple computer courses he takes around his 19th birthday is a potential "problem"......and might very well be a disaster to deal with for the staff. I'd not be surprised if Daddy tells him to go pro next year, regardless of how well he does in Raleigh. Frankly, I feel sorry for the kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT