ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Buccos

Dec 20, 2018
They are moving on up and are currently in a coin-flip with Seattle for the 6th or 7th pick in the draft next year, so this latest sweep by the Mariners was key. With 9 games left they play on the road in Milwaukee, against the Cubs and the always pesky Reds. They have a chance end up with a Top 5 pick that their next GM can tout as a cornerstone in the next 5-Year Plan.

Who cares? They'll either: A) draft the most "signable" (i.e., cheap) player they can get, who won't be a top 5 caliber; or B) sign a top 5 caliber player and then trade him after 2-3 seasons in the bigs because they don't want to pay for his massive extension.

It's ludicrous to follow the Pirates anymore. It's like hoping your spouse stops hitting you/cheating/drinking/loses 20lbs/whatever. They are who are and they're not going to change.

If you have to watch baseball, at least pick a different team. The Indians seem cool.

I will repeat an observation I posted awhile back, from availability on the ticket resellers this year I'd guess that the Pirates lost a lot of season ticket holders this season. In the heart of summer, there'd be weekend games with at least 10k empty seats yet, by comparison, not all that many available on the resellers. I'd imagine they will lose more this year.

I realize that the Pirates are not fully reliant upon the gate, but they are clearly suffering a loss of revenue while further creating a bad look.

Meanwhile, I have the Brewers to win the division and hope the Bucs do their part by being dutifully swept in Milwaukee this weekend.

Based on persistent threads on this site and others, there is still anger, meaning there's still passion for the team. Which means that should they get randomly lucky wth a decent team as they did a couple years back, people would still respond.

If there were no threads, no posts, no anger expressed, that's when they should worry. That indicates everyone has completely checked out.

It's something Pitt has to keep an eye on too. Like this board. Other than OT and Locker room, actual football and basketball traffic appears diminishing, similar to attendance. A second straight week playing a good team where we're generally predicted to get slaughtered, yet there isn't particularly much being discussed, not even disgust (one time UCF posters don't count)

People are checking out.

All the b.s. that the owner and GM have been shoveling out via the media over the last two years makes the situation unbearable to me.

Free agency, good to the players financially, has created the “haves & have-not” discrepancy that has ruined baseball for millions of former fans.

I would accept that argument if there were legitimate attempts at winning in Pittsburgh. There aren't. This is self inflicted BS to drive the payroll back down to increase profits. And to be honest, someone should let the Twins and Indians know they're one of the "have-nots" before one of them goes and wins the division.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT