ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ethereal Songs or Performance of Songs

I was under the impression that Michael Bolton is a cover artist. Thinking he never wrote or even sang anything original.
It’s my understanding he wrote for other people. He wrote a couple power ballads for kiss

It’s my understanding he wrote for other people. He wrote a couple power ballads for kiss
Didn't know that. I did see Bolton live at Star Lake as the opening act for someone else. Kenny G maybe?

Didn't know that. I did see Bolton live at Star Lake as the opening act for someone else. Kenny G maybe?
Here’s a song he co wrote with another great frontman, Paul Stanley. You can certainly hear his influence.

I'll give you two:

The Prayer (Charlotte Church and Josh Groban version)

The Greatest Man I Never Knew (Reba McEntire)

Just remembered the song that should have been at the top of this list all along ...

I struggled, and I mean struggled over the past few days to title or define this thread. What am I talking about? Ethereal? I am talking, songs that just capture or take you somewhere, emotions just grab you, beatific or haunting, but just exudes some overwhelming emotion. Really hard to define, but they touch you. Not necessarily because of nostalgia or memories, but just because of the songs. I mean almost bring you to tears. To help define what I am talking about, this is the winner.....but I have more.

Please note ... the new winner ... I just included.

Man they’re coming to me one after another now. Here’s a couple that fit from a band that has a bunch that fit:

I nominated Into Dust as one of my first suggestions. Talk about a beautiful song. And Hope Sandeval is gorgeous.
Oh man, I can’t disagree. Into Dust might actually fit the theme of the thread by a nose over Halah. But damn hard to argue either.

btw, it’s probably because we’ve discussed it too much and it’s become cliched here, but Joy Division’s Atmosphere and New Order’s Elegia should be included. I need to build an ethereal playlist. Lol.

Another band that was all ethereal, all the time. Saw them a few times back in the day including at St Andrews Hall in Detroit on the last leg of their final tour.

I nominated Into Dust as one of my first suggestions. Talk about a beautiful song. And Hope Sandeval is gorgeous.
It doesn’t fit the theme but I just stumbled on a song I haven’t thought of in 20 years. Remember this one? Jesus and Mary Chain (with Hope Sandoval) on the Letterman Show. JAMC was an underrated band btw. They had some good stuff.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Oh man, I can’t disagree. Into Dust might actually fit the theme of the thread by a nose over Halah. But damn hard to argue either.

btw, it’s probably because we’ve discussed it too much and it’s become cliched here, but Joy Division’s Atmosphere and New Order’s Elegia should be included. I need to build an ethereal playlist. Lol.
I included both of those songs above

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Man I have to stop. They just keep coming to me. One of my favorite genres of music.

I prefer the Pavement version of this excellent Echo song:

There are a number of REM songs one could list here but this would probably be on my list with Mike Mills on guitar.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT