ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Italy Recommendations

Did anyone even mention the Vatican? It’s an absolute must, and not for any religious reason. Probably the world’s largest collection of priceless medieval art, stunning grounds and architecture, oozing with history, and of course the Sistine Chapel. One of the best pieces of advice anyone gave us before we went to Italy was to hire a private guide for the Vatican. For a couple hundred bucks you bypass all the lines, get access to areas of the Vatican that others can’t, and get a really good historical narrative that puts everything in context. Followed by the guide taking us to eat and drink with her at an awesome off the path trattoria down a medieval alley in Rome with amazing food and good wine.

Thank me later.

Private guides to most places and fast pass tickets when you don’t use a private guide, is a must.

Yeah, the private tour guide thing is a great idea. We used one at the Vatican, for one visit, and it was worth every dollar. Besides skipping the lines, she got us into some closed private rooms at the Vatican Museum, and her knowledge and insight really added so much. They are a cottage industry in Rome, in particular, so it's not hard to find one.

Well according to Google, there are 31 Starbucks locations in Italy. The real question is why? Anyone who travels all the way to Italy and goes to Starbucks for coffee, should instantly be prohibited from ever returning.

Most likely populated by American tourists and study abroad students. Drinking coffee in a paper cup while walking is something you would never see the natives doing.

Reactions: bayardstreet
People are fooling themselves if they don’t think Italians would consume the American culture and habits imported to them.

The young Italian obesity rate is higher than that of America’s. And the Italians don’t have the gym bro and girls that squat culture to at least balance it out.

They are over there consuming Starbucks and everything else people associate with middle to lower class Americans. Including our ice cream disguised as coffee.

Last edited:
I'll also be in Venice in July and was looking for places like you described online. Any specific restaurant that you recall?
Can’t go wrong with the legendary Harry’s Bar, Hemingway hangout and birthplace of the Bellini cocktail. Very pricey but a must IMO.

Agree with the poster above who suggested exploring the nooks and crannies of Venice away from the tourist zones. My wife and I made a day of that and it was one of the best vacation days we’ve ever had.

Venice is an amazing city, has a surreal and weird quality to it. Like “this place has to be fake”—but it’s very real and one of a kind.

Can’t go wrong with the legendary Harry’s Bar, Hemingway hangout and birthplace of the Bellini cocktail. Very pricey but a must IMO.

Also very small.
If you absolutely have to eat or absolutely want some place you can sit down to have a drink, I’d check it out another night.

Italians sit at a table and drink coffee. It’s rare that you see somebody in Italy walking with a styrofoam cup of coffee.
They also stand and drink espresso at the cafes. Gulp them down in 60
seconds, shoot the beeeze for a couple minutes then back to work. Many of those places don’t even have seating. Same with the little afternoon wine bars that open for a couple hours and sell spritz’s out of walk windows to people taking a short afternoon work break. Very cool to bumble across one of those and joint the party for a few minutes.

My wife and I are planning on going to Italy this summer for like four or five days. We were thinking maybe hitting Rome and possibly Florence.. is it worth going for that short of a time?

Our problem is we have young kids at home and can’t stay for too long and we don’t really want to take them along!

This has been an interesting thread and seeing everyone’s different takes is always an eye opener.

One of my major takeaways from my trip to Italy 15 years ago is that it’s hard to find bad food anywhere, even in the touristy restaurants. If you serve mediocre food, you’re out of business in no time.

My wife and I were hungry while wandering around Florence one day and just wanted something quick-there was a newspaper stand selling fresh paninis a few feet away so I grabbed a prosciutto and farm butter panini with a glass of wine, and it was honestly one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had. There is very little processed or pre-made food anywhere in the country, the Italians take a ton of pride in their “slow food” culture.

I have been fortunate to have traveled fairly extensively, and my 2 week trip to Italy in the late 2000s still ranks as the best trip and vacation I’ve ever been on. The only two places I’ve ever been where I’ve walked around with my jaw literally hanging open in wonderment are Italy and Yosemite National Park. this thread is making me want to get back there and soon.

Reactions: Tucker99
The greatest cup of coffee ever was sitting at a small table in Siena inside the walls of the piazza . In second place was looking at Crater Lake

I could rank a few more but it would take me a while to think about it.
You can probably just order Illy on Amazon. Will be almost the same.

This has been an interesting thread and seeing everyone’s different takes is always an eye opener.

One of my major takeaways from my trip to Italy 15 years ago is that it’s hard to find bad food anywhere, even in the touristy restaurants. If you serve mediocre food, you’re out of business in no time.

My wife and I were hungry while wandering around Florence one day and just wanted something quick-there was a newspaper stand selling fresh paninis a few feet away so I grabbed a prosciutto and farm butter panini with a glass of wine, and it was honestly one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had. There is very little processed or pre-made food anywhere in the country, the Italians take a ton of pride in their “slow food” culture.

I have been fortunate to have traveled fairly extensively, and my 2 week trip to Italy in the late 2000s still ranks as the best trip and vacation I’ve ever been on. The only two places I’ve ever been where I’ve walked around with my jaw literally hanging open in wonderment are Italy and Yosemite National Park. this thread is making me want to get back there and soon.
Maybe you didn’t explore much, but it’s pretty easy to find bad food everywhere and certainly in Italy.

Maybe you didn’t explore much, but it’s pretty easy to find bad food everywhere and certainly in Italy.
Well, we explored plenty, but we certainly weren’t trying to find bad food. I didn’t eat a bad meal in Italy until I got to the airport. Every random place we grabbed a bite, every cafe, it was all good IMO.

Let’s put it this way-“bad” is relative. Bad food in Italy is a shit ton better than bad food in the USA.

Agree with the poster above who suggested exploring the nooks and crannies of Venice away from the tourist zones. My wife and I made a day of that and it was one of the best vacation days we’ve ever had.

Venice is an amazing city, has a surreal and weird quality to it. Like “this place has to be fake”—but it’s very real and one of a kind.
Harry's Bar is definitely very expensive. Shockingly so.

Mama Gina's in Florence is a must try. Everything is excellent. But you have to have the Tiramisu for dessert!!! Out of this world!

And while in Rome, stop in any place serving Limoncello. They'll serve you sample after sample. You'll be drunk by the time to leave one place.

A local told us that you don’t have to worry about getting lost. He said that every intersection has a sign up high on the wall in the corner with an arrow that points in the direction of St. Marks Square (or Rialto bridge). Since they’re higher up on walls and buildings, if you don’t know to look up, they can be easy to miss.

He was right. The back streets and alleys in Venice are like a maze. But it isn’t hard to find you way back out if you use that tip. And that was where a lot of the interesting and less crowded wine bars, shops, etc. were.

Vivoli was a block away from the B&B we stayed in on our first trip to Florence in 1984. It was the first time I ate gelato, and little did I know that it would be the best gelato I ever ate. That church, Santa Croce, and the square in front of it are a wonderful place to spend an hour people watching.

If you are going to be there in July or August, be prepared for extremely long lines.
Vivoli was great, Mike! But the church I’m talking about is a small one just steps from the gelato store. Maybe only 40 or 50 feet away. Santa Croce (The Basilica.) is close as well but not as close as little Santi Simone e Giuda. It was on a weekday and we sat on the small benches outside to eat our gelato (shown in the top picture of the link below).

Reactions: NTOP and mike412
Vivoli was great, Mike! But the church I’m talking about is a small one just steps from the gelato store. Maybe only 40 or 50 feet away. Santa Croce (The Basilica.) is close as well but not as close as little Santi Simone e Giuda. It was on a weekday and we sat on the small benches outside to eat our gelato (shown in the top picture of the link below).
Visited the Leather School in Florence back in 2006 and bought a briefcase from their retail store that I still carry today. Have had more compliments on or over the years than I can count, higher quality and lower price than anything comparable you can buy here.

Well, we explored plenty, but we certainly weren’t trying to find bad food. I didn’t eat a bad meal in Italy until I got to the airport. Every random place we grabbed a bite, every cafe, it was all good IMO.

Let’s put it this way-“bad” is relative. Bad food in Italy is a shit ton better than bad food in the USA.
They surely have better food in Italy. But they surely have plenty of bad food.

I want to go to Italy and my places I would want to visit in order are:

1) Sorrento/Amalfi Coast
2) Lake Como region
3) Florence/Tuscany
4) Venice getting the nod over Rome

1) Sorrento/Amalfi Coast
2) Lake Como region
3) Florence/Tuscany
We are doing #3 and #4 this year. I would love to see the Lake Como region. There's something about the large cities (everywhere) that I find to not to my liking. I've been to Paris on several occasions and don't have any interest in going back. Same with NYC in the US. Rome just "feels" like it would be the same, but maybe I am wrong ... I am quite the wine geek, so at least two must see things on this trip are wineries in Tuscany and the Veneto

We are doing #3 and #4 this year. I would love to see the Lake Como region. There's something about the large cities (everywhere) that I find to not to my liking. I've been to Paris on several occasions and don't have any interest in going back. Same with NYC in the US. Rome just "feels" like it would be the same, but maybe I am wrong ... I am quite the wine geek, so at least two must see things on this trip are wineries in Tuscany and the Veneto
We did Rome, Florence and Venice in that order. Loved ‘em all but I thought Rome was amazing.. I’d urge you to get there at some point.

1) Sorrento/Amalfi Coast
2) Lake Como region
3) Florence/Tuscany
We have been to 2, 3 (4 times) and 4 (twice) as well as Rome (also twice). When I went to Pitt, two years of a foreign language was a requirement and I chose Italian. So, I always enjoy an opportunity to practice/use my Italian. (In Barcelona I get to do it at our local gelato place and pizza parlor. )

I would put Florence/Tuscany #1 with a bullet. It’s truly an extraordinary city and Tuscany probably has more interesting small cities and towns to go to than anywhere else in the world. I would pick Venice over Rome simply because I don’t like Rome. Lake Como is beautiful but not a place I think we would return to. For us, it was a once you see it you’ve seen it place. Cinque Terra which is less than an hour west of Florence on the coast is somewhere to consider for your next trip. Five small coastal towns. Worth two or three days and you can easily combine it with a 1/2 day in Pisa to see the Leaning Tower.

We have talked about going to the Amalfi Coast for a few years, but we still haven’t made it. We already have three major trips planned this year so I suspect doing the Amalfi Coast is going to be like the Galápagos Islands and always remain unchecked on my bucket list.

... I am quite the wine geek, so at least two must see things on this trip are wineries in Tuscany and the Veneto
One of the places many tours stop in Tuscany is a small town called Greve in Chianti which is about halfway between Florence and Siena. It reportedly has the largest wine tasting room in Tuscany.

I have been importing wine from Italy for 15 years. If you want some recommendations for winery visits in Tuscany, I can help.
I completely understand why you’d go where you have planned to visit, but Umbria (Assisi is special) or Bologna/Modena have some of the best food in all of Italy. If you’d like to try one of the areas slightly less touristy, I can help there too.
George@tanarowineimports.com.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks! (Grazie)
All of this is bringing back some fond memories of my trip which was actually 17 years ago, before we had kids. First night in Italy we checked into our hotel in Rome in a downpour. Grabbed umbrellas and went down the street to the first bar we saw which happened to be a really nice little wine bar. Just us and the bartender for about 2 hours. He was very gracious and taught us some working Italian to help us get around. After a while people started trickling in and filling the barstools around us. Some Italian, some tourists. Everyone kind of joined in the lesson and helped each other out, worked on proper pronunciations, etc. We all had a lot of laughs. I had always heard that the natives in Italy appreciated it if you made even a clumsy effort to speak their language. I found that to be 100% true. That little tutorial with wine paid off over and over during our 2 weeks in-country.

I have been importing wine from Italy for 15 years. If you want some recommendations for winery visits in Tuscany, I can help.
I completely understand why you’d go where you have planned to visit, but Umbria (Assisi is special) or Bologna/Modena have some of the best food in all of Italy. If you’d like to try one of the areas slightly less touristy, I can help there too.
George@tanarowineimports.com.
You sound like a good guy to know…..

Reactions: uci_panther
I have this friend who has this charming little restaurant in Moderna. His name is Mossimo, Restaurant is called Osteria Francescana. He speaks really good English and his wife is American. Stop by there, and I can guarantee you a good meal. He's a really good guy.

1) Sorrento/Amalfi Coast
2) Lake Como region
3) Florence/Tuscany
All good choices. That said, I'd definitely prioritize Rome over Venice. Much more to see. In terms of the Lakes Como is beautiful. Stay in Bellagio if you can. Fantastic. In Bellagio, the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni is probably one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. All that said, Como is definitely more packed with tourists and slightly more expensive then the other alternatives. For me, I like Lake Maggiore. Right next to Como, just as scenic with some great little towns. Stresa is amazing. A great place to stay is the Grand Hotel Borromee. I have a particular fondness for that hotel because my eldest daughter got married there. Lots of other choices btw. Another alternative is to go to Lake Garda. Salo is a nice little town right on the lake. Sirmione is another little town right on the lake that is amazing. One nice thing about Lake Garda is that it's very close to the Vallpolicella wine region which produces my favorite Italian wine Amarone. I visited several great wineries including Masi, Bertani, and Alighieri. Lots of smaller wineries too.

An alternative that hasn't been mentioned is that you could stay in Verona. Beautiful little city. Lots to see. You can also take day drips to Valpolicella and take a train directly to Venice in a little over an hour.

BTW - Sorrento is really nice, but I prefer Positano. Either is pretty cool and you can tour Pompeii from either. You can also take a day sail from Positano over to Capri and do a walking tour of the island. Worth the trip.

The good news is that no matter where you decide to go, you'll have a great time.

Cruzer

Do the tour at the Vatican. I am not into tours, but this tour should not be missed. Make a reservation a few days ahead.
The key is to not do one of the group tours-hire a private guide for just you and your travel companion(s). Costs a bit more, but it will
enhance your experience by a factor of 10.

Reactions: mike412
I have this friend who has this charming little restaurant in Moderna. His name is Mossimo, Restaurant is called Osteria Francescana. He speaks really good English and his wife is American. Stop by there, and I can guarantee you a good meal. He's a really good guy.
I thought from a previous post you’d never been to Italy?

🤣🤣🤣
I thought from a previous post you’d never been to Italy?
Osteria Francesca a is perennially on the list for top restaurants in the world. I’ve only eaten at Francescette - famous for their hamburger which was meh.,,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT