ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Most disappointing or surprisingly boring or bad cities you visited

Oh man, Milwaukee. Milwaukee sucks. I couldn't believe how acosted I was by homeless and indigents on my short walk from my hotel to the Convention center. At one point I screamed at one, "GET THE **** AWAY FROM ME!"

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
Yeah, I was only there once and only for 2 nights, one day. And one of those we went to Cannon Beach for dinner. I ate at Pok Pok, and some bar downtown. It's a shame though how these great cities like Seattle, Portland and especially San Fran have become almost a South Park caricature of themselves with some really poor civic leadership.

Stayed at the school they turned into a really cool hotel. Never really ventured downtown outside of the rose garden.

and speaking of cities, think we will be able to attend the game in Knoxville this fall? Is staying in Nashville and driving to Knoxville on gameday feasible -- where is our resident expert of Tennessee at, TD, to assist here?
I lived in Franklin, TN for 25 years and know the area well. It is an easy 2.5 to 3 hour drive to Knoxville from Nashville depending on what side of Nashville you stay. Obviously staying east of Nashville puts you closer

I lived in Franklin, TN for 25 years and know the area well. It is an easy 2.5 to 3 hour drive to Knoxville from Nashville depending on what side of Nashville you stay. Obviously staying east of Nashville puts you closer
What was the sports bar right there by the mall?? J's or Jonathan's? I had many of drunk nights there.

I thought Miami was terribly overrated. Really run down and dumpy. This was almost 20 years ago so perhaps it’s improved since then.

One time I went to south beach and had to pay for everything...stayed the Perry.

Was a shit trip. It was during economic crisis and the guy eating peoples face off with bath salts.

South beach sucked.

The next time I win a trip and saw cal Ripken jr eating crabs at Joe’s stone crabs and saw Kenny Chesney play a private concert .

South beach was awesome

and speaking of cities, think we will be able to attend the game in Knoxville this fall? Is staying in Nashville and driving to Knoxville on gameday feasible -- where is our resident expert of Tennessee at, TD, to assist here?

I think you should be good Slick. It's roughly a 3 hour drive. Gameday traffic in K-town can be trouble, so I would plan to leave early and spend most of your day in Knoxville.

I plan on being there. Also at Duke & VaTech, as well as several games at Heinz this year.

And for the purposes of this thread, I'll go with Birmingham and Jacksonville.

I like downtown Memphis, but most of it is a dump. I also wasn't a big fan of Milwaukee.

Indianapolis. Flat and boring. Other than the core of downtown, it lacks interesting neighborhoods. Most of the Great Lakes cities lack more than a couple of interesting urban neighborhoods, although Cleveland does inner suburbs very well. Cincy, and St. Louis have some interesting core areas. You can keep the South, with the exception of Charleston, and especially beautiful Savannah. Richmond is mostly crappy, but has some great areas in it's core.

Reactions: djbpitt
Indianapolis. Flat and boring. Other than the core of downtown, it lacks interesting neighborhoods. Most of the Great Lakes cities lack more than a couple of interesting urban neighborhoods, although Cleveland does inner suburbs very well. Cincy, and St. Louis have some interesting core areas. You can keep the South, with the exception of Charleston, and especially beautiful Savannah. Richmond is mostly crappy, but has some great areas in it's core.
Actually, I agree with Indy...but....drive up Meridian Street. It has some really nice old mansions and definitely where the old money lived.

Actually, I agree with Indy...but....drive up Meridian Street. It has some really nice old mansions and definitely where the old money lived.

The same can be said about Milwaukee, which you mentioned sucks.

You apparently did not drive along the lake, where all the old money is, and see the magnificent homes there.

It is more beautiful than Meridian st, as these homes sit right on Lake Mich.

2 pages in and no one has mentioned Santa Fe?

It is the coolest downtown in America. A beautiful place.

As far as small town beauty, Natchez MS is unbeatable..

We’ve done a few weekend stays in Baltimore (live closer to DC on the MD side so not too far). Have learned to be pretty careful about the places we stay at... but yes, generally the closer to the water you are, the better off you are. Last 2 times stayed at the Hyatt Place near Harbor East/Fells. Love Camden Yards though.
Camden Yards is a nice park. First of its era so it is iconic for that reason but many of the ones after it are far better. Like Pittsburgh's. We went when the Red Sox were world champs and the O's were dreck. Half the crowd was rooting for Boston, us included. For having a tail ender to follow, Balmer fans are surprisingly surly. maybe I've just been numbed into senselessness by the Buccos.

Reactions: str61166
Dayton, Ohio. There is NOTHING to do there and it's not even scenic. You know it's bad when its selling point is "one hour to Cincinnati."
Yeah, because of my travel and territory, I have stayed in that area a few times. Most weird was 2 summers ago, I got in to my hotel around 8:00 and figure I will go out to this sports bar to watch the NBA finals and get a bite and a couple of beers. So I knew there was one within a half mile or so of the hotel, so I set my GPS and it is getting dark and I am driving around this block and its not there where it says it should be. And I start looking around, and start seeing the houses and buildings and trees nearby and they are mostly shambles. And it is where an F4 tornado hit like a week prior. Really, really eerie scene. The sports bar was basically gone.

screen-shot-2019-05-28-at-10-01-00-am-1559052326.png

Last edited:
Worst: Missoula,MT, Phoenix, Philly, Blawnox, cancun

Surprisingly wonderful: Paris, Amsterdam, LA, Chicago, Santa Fe(but boring at night).

Last edited:
My worst visits are usually associated with sprawl and boredom:
LA/Long Beach, CA
Orlando, FL
Alberquerque, NM
San Fran for its filth
San Jose Costa Rica
Tijuana MX
Ann Arbor, MI

If you want to consider these cities
Wilmington, DE
Anywhere in DE
Youngstown, OH

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that it's bad. I just expected it to be perfect and it was merely pretty good.

The totally nude homeless guy also sort of killed the vibe.

I also thought San Diego was a little overrated. I said to a waiter in the Gas Lamp Quarter that I bet this place is packed with people after a Padres game. He said there were only tourists, the locals can't afford to go out after a game because they're broke from spending too much on housing and cars.

Portland had problems long before any protests. It became a haven for homeless and drugs. Is was definitely a different city 15 years ago.
Haven't been there in over a decade at this point. Sad to hear how it's changed for the worse.

I also thought San Diego was a little overrated. I said to a waiter in the Gas Lamp Quarter that I bet this place is packed with people after a Padres game. He said there were only tourists, the locals can't afford to go out after a game because they're broke from spending too much on housing and cars.
Yeah Downtown SD doesn't really offer much that you can't find in a bunch of other cities. The ferry trip over to Coronado was pretty cool though.

Reactions: Dan1911
Athens, Greece - the acropolis is great, but the rest of the city is a dump.

Canberra, Australia - boring

Agra, India - The Taj is awesome...the rest of the city is a pretty disgusting

San Francisco since they allowed people to take a craps on the streets!
Agree with San Francisco. The best part of my trip was driving across the golden gate bridge to leave town. My trip was short, and I understand I saw such a small part of town, but I have no desire to go back. The pot holes rivaled Pittsburgh and there was trash everywhere (litter). Now highway 1 along the coast..... beautiful from what I saw.

Reactions: 303vND
Athens, Greece - the acropolis is great, but the rest of the city is a dump.

Canberra, Australia - boring

Agra, India - The Taj is awesome...the rest of the city is a pretty disgusting
I think Canberra Australia and Brasilia, Brazil are basically the same. Manufactured, fake cities holding the central government and employees of their respective countries. No culture or history there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT