ADVERTISEMENT

OT :OT: Favorite local restaurants no longer around...…..

Hell the restaurant where Primanti sits across the Thornburg Bridge, was once an Italian restaurant and they had a hold up, hostages somewhere around 78, 79. Anyone remember that whole issue , food there was good

As someone who grew up in Erie, I’ve never heard of Conneaut Lake described as a suburb of Erie. 30 miles south and in a different county.
Is it a Pgh restaurant area?

No. The Creekhouse is right by the bridge. Winkys was a short bit up the road. I think the Winkys building is now a veterinarian.

I forget who but someone just bought the Creekhouse along with a sister bar. Caliente maybe?
I know winkys building has also been used as a daycare. I drove by there yesterday lol

Hell the restaurant where Primanti sits across the Thornburg Bridge, was once an Italian restaurant and they had a hold up, hostages somewhere around 78, 79. Anyone remember that whole issue , food there was good
I can't remember the name of the Italian restaurant there but it was pretty good. While that area is being mentioned......I loves the Del Kid . Never was there before 2AM . Greasy diner food that tasted like fine dining after drinking. The place had a line out the door after the bars closed. Also spaghetti bowl. Downey house is there now

Bethel Deli, The O and Mallorca are my favorite restaurants no longer open. Bethel Deli had the best Italian sub in Pittsburgh.

I know winkys building has also been used as a daycare. I drove by there yesterday lol

Ah, ok. I think that one is a motorsports part store now or something? Yeah that was an odd location for a daycare.

Interesting about the Sharp Edge possibly being a Caliente's. I thought they were taking over the Hop House before Covid hit and now that is something else. Will be nice to have another local option, though I wish there was another restaurant or two in the center of Crafton.

But we have killer perogies, and the garbage Primanti's.
We have some good Italian delis (but they are also dying out) but you would think the demographics of Pittsburgh are similar to Detroit and Cleveland and therefore there would be more of that deli culture, but it never has. We are blinded by putting fries on sammiches.............

Little Bangkok at the corner of Millvale and Baum (where the Chipotle is now) was a pretty great, inexpensive option in the late 90s/early 00s. I believe they ran a food truck after closing down their shop.

We have some good Italian delis (but they are also dying out) but you would think the demographics of Pittsburgh are similar to Detroit and Cleveland and therefore there would be more of that deli culture, but it never has. We are blinded by putting fries on sammiches.............
Those 2 cities are MUCH larger than Pgh. I never go to Primanti's.

I can't remember the name of the Italian restaurant there but it was pretty good. While that area is being mentioned......I loves the Del Kid . Never was there before 2AM . Greasy diner food that tasted like fine dining after drinking. The place had a line out the door after the bars closed. Also spaghetti bowl. Downey house is there now
That's also how I would characterize the Del Kid. That place was great to get straightened out on a late Sunday morning.

Those 2 cities are MUCH larger than Pgh. I never go to Primanti's.
Lived outside of both Cleveland and Detroit. Didn’t get to sample many delis in either place, but I will take your word. Agree on Primantis. All carbs with one thin slice of deli meat. Over rated. But.... it’s a yinzer thing, so it must be great.

Cleveland is not MUCH larger than Pittsburgh in any way shape or form, except maybe area.

Yes our city proper has less people than many other cities. But people don't realize that our metro population is bigger than a lot of cities people assume are larger (Vegas, Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus, Indy, KC, etc...). To me, the population of the actual city is less relevant, especially given that our city proper has about half the area of Cleveland and much less area than most large cities.

Yes our city proper has less people than many other cities. But people don't realize that our metro population is bigger than a lot of cities people assume are larger (Vegas, Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus, Indy, KC, etc...). To me, the population of the actual city is less relevant, especially given that our city proper has about half the area of Cleveland and much less area than most large cities.
Exactly. We have this debate at least once a year, usually precipitated by someone googling city populations instead of metro area populations. Fact is, area wise Pittsburgh is one of the smaller cities. But population density wise, it is not. And metro area, yeah is more than Cleveland or Cincy or many other cities (still top 30). Also, Allegheny County has more individual municipalities than any other county in the US, and that contains Pittsburgh. Like anything in our over taxed, over the hill area, the city needs to consume some of these small burgs.

Ah, ok. I think that one is a motorsports part store now or something? Yeah that was an odd location for a daycare.

Interesting about the Sharp Edge possibly being a Caliente's. I thought they were taking over the Hop House before Covid hit and now that is something else. Will be nice to have another local option, though I wish there was another restaurant or two in the center of Crafton.
Yeah, all I can think about is the Italian restaurant in the circle in crafton. Serafinis?

Exactly. We have this debate at least once a year, usually precipitated by someone googling city populations instead of metro area populations. Fact is, area wise Pittsburgh is one of the smaller cities. But population density wise, it is not. And metro area, yeah is more than Cleveland or Cincy or many other cities (still top 30). Also, Allegheny County has more individual municipalities than any other county in the US, and that contains Pittsburgh. Like anything in our over taxed, over the hill area, the city needs to consume some of these small burgs.
No politics allowed.

Pittsburgh is still far down the list in population density, too. Plenty of space there.

Surprised to not see Uncle Sam's on this list. Good cheese steak subs.
When did Uncle Sams go OOB? Last time I was on the PITT Campus was 2009(before the Notre Dame Game that Night in Early November-was a great temps in the 60s for that time of year in Late Fall, so the Night Game was not too cold), and was there for my usual 2 Steak Sandwiches with Onions and Fries. Loved their Steak Sandwiches. They always seemed busy every time I was there, so surprised they are no longer in business.

When did Uncle Sams go OOB? Last time I was on the PITT Campus was 2009(before the Notre Dame Game that Night in Early November-was a great temps in the 60s for that time of year in Late Fall, so the Night Game was not too cold), and was there for my usual 2 Steak Sandwiches with Onions and Fries. Loved their Steak Sandwiches. They always seemed busy every time I was there, so surprised they are no longer in business.
Within the last 10 years. I think the owner just retired.

Reactions: TheSeldomSeenKid
Bethel Deli, The O and Mallorca are my favorite restaurants no longer open. Bethel Deli had the best Italian sub in Pittsburgh.
Mallorca is still there physically. Have they closed for good? An internet search says "temporarily closed," which, of course, could mean for good. Not sure when their sister restaurant Ibiza closed, but I liked that one.

Yeah, all I can think about is the Italian restaurant in the circle in crafton. Serafinis?

Yeah, Serafino's. The American Legion is up for sale. Seems like it might be a prime location for a restaurant in the center of town with parking.

Mallorca is still there physically. Have they closed for good? An internet search says "temporarily closed," which, of course, could mean for good. Not sure when their sister restaurant Ibiza closed, but I liked that one.
Now with everything opening up and Mallorca still "temporarily closed" it is not boding well for a reopening is it??

Subs are pretty good. The pizza blows. Back in the day I went there to sober up.
When Beto's was in Oakland next to the Pitt campus the pizza was fantastic. When they moved I took my wife there after bragging about how good their pizza is. Left very disappointed and never returned.

Man, compared to Cleveland and Detroit, let alone NYC, Pittsburgh has a real dearth of great places to get corned beef/pastrami sandwiches.
If you are ever in the Butler area, stop by Freedom Farms Sandwich off of route 8. Every item they serve is incredible, but the Reuben is unbelievable. The deli scene in Pittsburgh is definitely lacking though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT