ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: penguins

Crosby is playing the best he has ever played since he got his 1st concussion. Hockey players aren't supposed to get better at 30, he is. I mean, complete all around. He is like the NHL version of Tom Brady.

Crosby is playing the best he has ever played since he got his 1st concussion. Hockey players aren't supposed to get better at 30, he is. I mean, complete all around. He is like the NHL version of Tom Brady.
The truly great ones are on a different time table. He'll still be playing exceptional hockey five years from now.
He keeps himself in good shape and really works on his craft. The things he does don't happen by accident.

Reactions: Noah Bonner
How can you not love this guy?
https://triblive.com/sports/marc-andre-fleury-nearly-gets-into-goalie-fight/

Huge home and home coming up with Bluejackets. Hope Murray continues his excellent play of late, and Kessell gets off the snide! He is getting amazing chances, it defies logic that a shooter with his skills hasn't buried a few!

I think he's right, he'll go off for a HT one of these times, and everything will start going his way. He's playing hard, and seems to be doing everything right, just can't find the back of the net!

How can you not love this guy?
https://triblive.com/sports/marc-andre-fleury-nearly-gets-into-goalie-fight/

Huge home and home coming up with Bluejackets. Hope Murray continues his excellent play of late, and Kessell gets off the snide! He is getting amazing chances, it defies logic that a shooter with his skills hasn't buried a few!

I think he's right, he'll go off for a HT one of these times, and everything will start going his way. He's playing hard, and seems to be doing everything right, just can't find the back of the net!

Like Sid, as he continues on into his 30's, MAF is seemingly getting better. I think he plays more technical now and relies less on his athleticism. The problem with a lot of spectacular saves, if you aren't gloving or smothering it, a lot of times they lead to open nets on rebounds.

We also forget how young relatively speaking Murray is. Murray was not good last year, and he was just godawful in the first two months of this year, but he has a .929 save % since he came back in December.

If you look at the ages of the top goalies,
Fleury is 34
Rask is 31
Price is 31
Ben Bishop is 32
Thomas Greis is 33
Robin Lehner is 27

Only the hardest to spell name in sports Vasilevskiy is under 25 (24) like Murray. Just to put some things in perspective. Even some of the names at the top of the list right now who are half starters, none of them are under 27.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
How do we stack up against Columbus??
I believe they try the Flyers thing which is "beat up the PENS" and they'll eventually quit.
We need this game bad!

Last edited:
Reactions: PittCity
Reactions: BuffetParrothead
8 of ten points in the last 5 games, I’m thinking we sweep these bastards

That was a classic playoff style game. With the size the pens have now, they are going to be tough in a 7 game series. Match up better against Caps.

Just one complaint. 5 on 3. Jesus shoot the bleeping puck.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
Who was that team wearing black and gold tonight? I don't think I saw a single two-on-one the entire evening! That was pretty impressive, I hope we can continue to play that way against teams not named Columbus!

Gudbranson was in someone's face at every whistle. That trade looks good so far.

Huge team win. Need Phat Phil to get hot.

That line will be key. No one will be able to shut down them and the Crosby line consistently.

I must have missed it. Can somebody explain how the hell Simon wound up back on the top line?

What Dman do you sit when Letang comes back??

The Pens have great depth along the blueline right now.

Really, really liked that 3rd line last night, I thought they drove possession and maintained the puck in the BJ's zone all night and a goal was going to be inevitable.

It looked for awhile that Torts decision to play Korpasalo was the right one. He played pretty well. Actually Columbus played hard and well, then after the Bjugstad goal, it is like they had their fate realized.

I still don't know what the hell is wrong with Geno. He carries the puck, he looks like Mario Lemieux, as soon as he gains the offensive zone, he throws some blind across ice pass at the blueline that is turned over everytime. Every time. He would be better just dumping in the corner. OR....how about this Geno, take a few more strides towards the goal and either take a shot or then pass to teammate as defenders are drawn to you. All time great player, he seems to have lost some hockey IQ points. I don't get what is going on.

That Petterson trade and Florida trade looks really good, as does the Gudbranson trade (on a side note, can the Pens start acquiring names like Smith or Jones because spelling these guys names is getting to be a pain in the ass) anyways, he is a physical force.

Speed, speed, speed...it worked in 2016, and somehow in 2017, it was not working for this team. Rutherford figured this out first, it is good to see it looks like Sully has now too. Its not like the Pens are a plodding team like the Ducks or Kings, but they are a big team with speed and skill, like the Caps. Play down low, lean on the other guys defense, use your physicality to keep the other teams offense on the perimeter.

Oh, that Jack Johnson guy, doesn't look too shabby anymore. Playing his best hockey by far the past month.

Really, really liked that 3rd line last night, I thought they drove possession and maintained the puck in the BJ's zone all night and a goal was going to be inevitable.

It looked for awhile that Torts decision to play Korpasalo was the right one. He played pretty well. Actually Columbus played hard and well, then after the Bjugstad goal, it is like they had their fate realized.

I still don't know what the hell is wrong with Geno. He carries the puck, he looks like Mario Lemieux, as soon as he gains the offensive zone, he throws some blind across ice pass at the blueline that is turned over everytime. Every time. He would be better just dumping in the corner. OR....how about this Geno, take a few more strides towards the goal and either take a shot or then pass to teammate as defenders are drawn to you. All time great player, he seems to have lost some hockey IQ points. I don't get what is going on.

That Petterson trade and Florida trade looks really good, as does the Gudbranson trade (on a side note, can the Pens start acquiring names like Smith or Jones because spelling these guys names is getting to be a pain in the ass) anyways, he is a physical force.

Speed, speed, speed...it worked in 2016, and somehow in 2017, it was not working for this team. Rutherford figured this out first, it is good to see it looks like Sully has now too. Its not like the Pens are a plodding team like the Ducks or Kings, but they are a big team with speed and skill, like the Caps. Play down low, lean on the other guys defense, use your physicality to keep the other teams offense on the perimeter.

Oh, that Jack Johnson guy, doesn't look too shabby anymore. Playing his best hockey by far the past month.
Yep, Rutherford proves he's one of the best once again!
All the hand wringing over the trades seems foolish now.
Compare the Pen's deals with the Jacket's deals. Yeah, no comparison!

We went from the D being a liability to being a ridiculous team strength.
More fire power with the 2 Florida guys, and Murray playing like a champion again.
Fingers crossed, but it looks pretty damn good right now!

Good post ....

Yeah, when Letang comes back he should replace Trotman.

The more interesting question is what happens when Maatta is cleared to play ?

- I've been saying that I really like McCann and Bjugstad and both are playing better for the Pens so far then Brassard and Sheahan.

- Bjugstad reminds me a little of Jordan Staal and is to date giving us what we need out of a 3rd line center.

- McCann's style is more in the group of Rust/Guentzel/Sheary/Hagelin type ..... he has played well and only 22y/o.

- Jack Johnson has been playing his best hockey in the last few weeks but has actually been playing pretty well since December.

- Blueger's play has tapered off a little but still doing OK.

- Gotta get the 2nd line playing a little better.

- Team is playing well recently ..... playing playoff type hockey ..... tight checking, tight defense, keeping their 3rd forward high to prevent odd man breaks ..... keeping everything to the outside in our end, breakouts have been very good, and limiting turnovers all leading to decrease number of shots on our goalie especially a decrease in high danger/Grade A chances against us.

- Of course, Murray has played GREAT in goal !

- It's early in his Pens career, but so far Gudbranson has brought a new dimension to the Pens defense and it is helping ..... a true defensive defenseman, physical, clearing the front of the net, and tough physical play in the corners/defensive zone (just hard to play against) .... one other thing that Gunbranson has done really well so far is get rid of the puck to his teammates quickly in his zone on the breakout .... quick simple passes that have led to good breakouts ..... however, his skating is not great ..... it's OK straight line but he has some difficulty with lateral and change in direction skating although with his long reach and physical strength it has not cost him so far although against the top talent guys he may have problems ...... he hasn't pinched a lot in the offensive zone although a little more in the last two games ..... he will have to be careful about when he pinches ...... he certainly is somewhat limited in ability but in his first few games with the Pens he has played much better then expected and his game has really helped.

- Another BIG game tomorrow night !

I don't think Johnson is playing any better now than he was before. People have been watching his game with stink eye all year because they hate his contract and want to focus on the negative so they can say "see, i was right, terrible contract". Now fans need his ass to step up and be a pilar on defense, so stink eye has done a 180 and you want to see the positives. It's the right cap hit for a 3/4 defenseman and as the cap rises and he gets older, it's gonna be the right cap hit for a 5/6. Go compare his play to other D making his cap hit, don't just look at it from the Pittsburgh bubble.

Bjugstedt (i can't spell that damn name) is a great 3C....he's boring, but effective, which is what you want from today's 3C.

Teeth gnashing over Gudbranson ended quick. He's still slow as hell and overpaid at 4 million, but he serves a purpose. He'll be dressing and playing with Johnson in the 5/6 role when all is healthy. Letang/Dumo. Schultz/Maatta. Gudbranson/Johnson. Rikola is not a regular for the playoffs.

I don't think Johnson is playing any better now than he was before. People have been watching his game with stink eye all year because they hate his contract and want to focus on the negative so they can say "see, i was right, terrible contract". Now fans need his ass to step up and be a pilar on defense, so stink eye has done a 180 and you want to see the positives. It's the right cap hit for a 3/4 defenseman and as the cap rises and he gets older, it's gonna be the right cap hit for a 5/6. Go compare his play to other D making his cap hit, don't just look at it from the Pittsburgh bubble.

Bjugstedt (i can't spell that damn name) is a great 3C....he's boring, but effective, which is what you want from today's 3C.

Teeth gnashing over Gudbranson ended quick. He's still slow as hell and overpaid at 4 million, but he serves a purpose. He'll be dressing and playing with Johnson in the 5/6 role when all is healthy. Letang/Dumo. Schultz/Maatta. Gudbranson/Johnson. Rikola is not a regular for the playoffs.
No. He has been playing much better. All of the advanced metrics also support this.

My opinion .....

- Johnson started playing better in early December when the Pens traded for Pettersson and teamed him with Johnson ..... no matter how you look at it, eyeball test, stats, advanced stats, Johnson started playing better at that time ..... the effectiveness of that pair started to decline somewhat, injuries occurred, Schultz finally returned to the lineup and has been paired recently with Johnson and they have been really good together ....in fact, if they continue to play so well together, Sullivan may keep Schultz and Johnson as the 2nd pairing with Letang and Dumoulin as the 1st pairing.

- When Letang comes back he will replace Trotman ...... however, when Maatta comes back there will be two spots for three players (Maatta, Gudbranson, and Pettersson) ..... who sits ? (Gudbranson and Pettersson have been a good pairing so far) ...... we'll see how everyone plays and if other injuries occur until Maatta comes back and then the decision might be a little clearer.

No way you can put Maatta and Gudbranson together. I can crawl faster than those 2 can skate.

No way you can put Maatta and Gudbranson together. I can crawl faster than those 2 can skate.

I don't like Maatta and Gudbranson together either ..... the D-lines could very well end up just like you said but with how very well Schultz/Johnson and Gudbranson/Pettersson have played together recently, I would hate to break them up right now ....... on the other hand, players or pairings could regress between now and when Maatta is ready and the best pairings could become clearer ...... if the Schultz/Johnson and Gudbranson/Pettersson lines continue to play really well and the team keeps winning, then it becomes harder to insert Maatta .... a lot could change quickly, we'll see starting tonight.

Pens recap.

To be honest, like the Caps winning the playoff series over the Pens last year, this had a bit of the "hidden vigourish" factor. I mean the Pens weren't going to beat the Blue Jackets forever. This isn't Alabama vs Vanderbilt. The Pens maybe a better team, but they aren't THAT much better. To put it another way, the Jackets were due. Just like tonight, with Boston 14-0-4 in their last 18 are due for a regulation loss.

Anyways, if you looked at the boxscore, you may have thought Murray played a "meh" game. If you watched the game, you will realize it was one of the best games a goalie has played this year, he was fantastic. Almost all of the saves were "high danger". He made a couple of saves that were as good as any made in the NHL this year. The goals all were snipes or great plays (ie no soff goals). I don't know what else he could have done.

The Jackets are a good team, they played with an unbelievable desperation, blocked shots, got into passing lanes, ferociously forechecked and kept on coming. Again, they had to win this game, had to, and played like it.

The Pens? Didn't play so well. I am not sure who Dom Simon has pictures has but he is an incredibly ordinary hockey player and I don't care if Sid likes him on his line, he just doesn't have the skill. He is not Pascal Dupuis or Chris Kunitz. He is not even ZAR or Jared McCann.

Sid, sometimes Sid does this, he overpasses. As the Pens are want to do, they love to make that extra pass for the pretty tap in goals, but in this game where the Jackets are laying it all out, this was not the game to pass up a shot on goal in lieu some 50 foot cross ice pass that was getting blocked or intercepted. Too often the Pens stars (87 and 71) were guilty of this.

The PP is a joke right now. The one power play that was good, Geno shot and shot and shot, but the Pens controlled the play. The others, including a 4 on 3, the Pens passed and passed and turned the puck over repeatedly giving up possession. Amazing how shots on goal can drive PP's instead of cross ice passes. This was a game where the Pens needed to simplify their game.

For example the Pens only goal. Kessel actually fore-checked, he was able to beat the Jackets to a loose puck that was caused by Malkin forechecking the Jackets into a turnover, Kessel made a quick 8 foot pass to Malkin who made a quick area pass (5-8 feet) to ZAR who buried a wrist shot for the goal. No 50 foot passes. Simplify the game. Quick passes, overload and out number, and the Pens didn't do much of this.

The 1st line was not good this game. The only defense pairing who had a decent game was 28-44. Why did the Pens sign Hornquist to an extension only to have him as a 3rd liner. If this is the way it is going to be, then that signing will be worse than the Jack Johnson signing.

Dom Simon is not a top 6 player. Dom Simon is not a top 6 player. Dom Simon is not a top 6 player. Dom Simon is not a top 6 player. Dom Simon is not a top 6 player. Dom Simon is not a top 6 player. Dom Simon is not a top 6 player. Dom Simon is not a top 6 player. Dom Simon is not a top 6 player.

I would rather see Teddy Blueger on Sid's line than Simon. Or McCann. Or ZAR. Or Hornquist. Dominick Simon to Mike Sullivan is Sean Rodriguez to Clint Hurdle.

The PK was really good for the Pens this game, but the PP again gave up a killer shorty. Not to pick on Kessel, but he is really snake bitten. But at least he is now shooting the puck.

This game was not that surprising, the Jackets were due, they are a good team, they have some elite talents and truthfully without Murray's play, this game could have been 5 or 6 to 1.

Big two points on the line tonight against a white hot Boston club.

Reactions: CCHS82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT