ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penguins

I do not understand what the trade for Marleau does for them. I understand Sheary, if only because he knows how to play with Crosby and understands their system. But Marleau looks mostly done, even playing with Malkin.

I've seen 3 games in person this year. All 3 vs the Caps. When we are playing great, we can compete with them. When we don't play at the top of our game, they completely dominate us. They are just a far superior team. It isn't close.

The team no-showed again. Sid no-showed again.
Should've had a hat trick. Had the puck on his stick in front of an open net three times and blew it 2 of 3 (both were tough shots though). I can't figure it out. He looks healthy but just isn't making much happen at all. He played sound on D and was excellent at draws but his offensive game and timing with his linemates is way off.

They surrendered approximately 746 odd man rushes today. I’m not blaming the center (or the goaltender) for that.

I've seen 3 games in person this year. All 3 vs the Caps. When we are playing great, we can compete with them. When we don't play at the top of our game, they completely dominate us. They are just a far superior team. It isn't close.
These statements don’t make sense.

I saw all three of the games you referenced too and Pittsburgh obviously won the first game and could have won the second game as well. It was a very competitive game.

Today's game was non-competitive and Washington deserves its fair share of the credit for that. However, Pittsburgh also aided them quite a bit.

The Penguins are not going to win too many games in which they get shut out with the man advantage, including a long two man advantage, and in which they give up a shorthanded goal.

Sadly, they were even worse at even strength, surrendering odd man break after odd man break.

It is definitely true if Pittsburgh plays like this, they have no chance of beating Washington. However, the good news is if Pittsburgh plays like this, they are not going to have an opportunity to play the Capitals because if they even make it, there’s no way they would get out of the first round playing the way they played today or for most of the past few weeks.

There is definitely much work to be done and little time to do it.

They really need to simplify their game and I think the number one thing they need to focus on is coming out on time. They were a disgrace in the first period today and the game was lost 10 minutes into the affair.

Last edited:
My perception of the OT win against Washington was that it was one of the most dominant games by a team that actually lost that I've ever seen. Pens did ok in the first but got obliterated in the 2nd and 3rd and got bailed out with great officiating and got fortunate in OT.

The second game was fairly close but Wash again was definitely better.

Yesterday was like the first game without Murray being amazing in net.

You might be right though Dr. Being surrounded by DC fans may be clouding my perceptions of the first two games.

Just something is not there. I think in some ways, this team actually will be better next provided they don't have every key guy on the roster go down for weeks or months. I think you will have a couple of new guys on the blueline, some forwards.....

But something just isn't clicking still. And the core is still here. Letang was a -4. He just doesn't seem willing to buy in. Malkin said it correctly, "when we are all healthy we think we will score a goal in every shift".

The 3rd (or 4th) line of Tanev/Blueger and ZAR (Now whoever) is very ineffective lately. Jared McCann has turned into Riley Sheahan. I don't like Connor Sheary on Sid's line (and still don't understand why the need to trade for him) and wouldn't mind seeing Hornquist put up there to provide some grit and net presence for Sid and Zucker.

Marleau is invisible, has even had a shot on goal? Again, nice story, HOF career, but this team shouldn't need a veteran presence. My god, the core has 3 Cups and 4 finals.

Right now. I see 4 teams in the East that are either more talented, or playing alot better than the Pens. Tampa, Boston, Philly and Washington. Philly is not better, but they are playing extremely well and Vignault is a helluva coach and they got a great staff.

I am not sure what is going to happen. Losing and getting their asses handed to them by the Caps is maybe better than say Murray standing on his head and pulling out and OT win, masking their performance because they weren't that good against Buffalo.

Big game this afternoon. Must win.

I do not understand what the trade for Marleau does for them. I understand Sheary, if only because he knows how to play with Crosby and understands their system. But Marleau looks mostly done, even playing with Malkin.

Feels a lot like the Iginla year. The Zucker trade looks good, but everything else doesn’t and they probably would’ve been better stopping there. Starting to look like the 6 weeks or so they played so well was the anomaly.

Reactions: TheChair
This team played well all year until now. They compensated for all the injuries by bringing up young kids that knew Sullie's system and plugging them in. The kids performed very well and played the system to a tee.

I hate what we have now become. It is hard to watch Sheary, Marleau, and Bjugstad skate around and do nothing but give up odd man breaks. I think Rutherford went bonkers and messed up something that was working. Too many trades have shaken up the foundation of this team.

Sullie's system seems like a memory now. We have become smaller and in some cases slower, and the forecheck and the in your face hockey is suddenly missing. I will hold out some hope that it can be recaptured but, those hopes are slim. If we keep this shit up, the guys will have golf clubs in their hand come April, instead of hockey sticks.

This team just doesn’t seem to have the intensity and jump they had before the trade The Sheary trade was questionable at best. Sid just doesn’t seem to be Sid lately.

Hopefully they snap out of it but it really is not looking good.

This team just doesn’t seem to have the intensity and jump they had before the trade The Sheary trade was questionable at best. Sid just doesn’t seem to be Sid lately.

Hopefully they snap out of it but it really is not looking good.
If our defense would actually skate after the face off we’d be winning this game right now

the defense has been brutal .

Stick a fork in this team just no jump or intensity except Rodrigues

rutherford tinkered too much and totally screwed up the vibe and chemistry

Reactions: PittLegends
Total domination after the first period.

Hopefully this wakes them up but they just don’t seem like the same team. They are back to making dumb passes and not skating

Today, the Penguins played exactly like they played against Washington yesterday and they got basically the exact same result.

They are playing their worst hockey of the season at the worst possible time.

Well, let me rephrase that. The worst possible time to play this poorly would be during the playoffs. This is the second worst possible time: right before the playoffs.

The good news is they still have 14 or 15 games to fix some of these issues.

The bad news is they have been consistently deficient in a number of key areas for a whole now and they are running out of time to plug all of the holes in the dike.

What really stands out to me is their mediocre special teams play. That unit MUST be feared by their opponents or teams will take every liberty in the world with our stars; and the Penguins cannot win that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Today, the Penguins played exactly like they played against Washington yesterday and they got basically the exact same result.
Wasn’t able to watch either of this weekend’s games, didn’t get them out here. I’ve seen that slow skates played a part in it. Was it also defense or poor goaltending?

For the second year in a row, this team has gone from talk of a cup, pre-trade deadline to epic self destruction after the deadline. These guys look like they're trying to get people fired.

I took some heat last year for being high on them and then a few weeks later telling the board that they wouldn't win a single game if they did manage to eke into the playoffs. Welp, this team has done it again. There aren't any playoff caliber teams that this Pens team is competitive with.

I just don't get it. How did our goaltending go so bad? I was a huge Murray and Jarry fan. Neither are good enough.

Crosby has 1 good month in him every year and beyond that, has been sub-All-Star level every season since the last cup. He's still good but you can't build a line around him let alone a team.

Malkin sucked last season and redeamed himself a bit this season but see the Crosby comment above.

Letang isn't good enough offensively to make up for his mental/defensive deficiencies.

The entire organization is a mess. When you look at what they drafted in the early 2000's, to have only won 3 cups and been to only 4 is underwhelming. There is no longer a window. They mortgaged the future for a bag of old, dusty, easily broken beans.

Wasn’t able to watch either of this weekend’s games, didn’t get them out here. I’ve seen that slow skates played a part in it. Was it also defense or poor goaltending?

They were different games in the sense that Pittsburgh did not show up for the first period of yesterday’s game, but played better in the second and third periods. Alas, it was too little too late.

In today’s game, the Penguins played reasonably well in the first period. However, after Jaccob Slavin scored to make it 2-2 midway through the second period, the air came out of the balloon and they completely fell apart.

The Penguins probably should have been up 3–1 or 4–1 at that point point but weren’t. When Slavin scored to tie it, Carolina got a second wind and Pittsburgh did not.

The common theme is they are struggling to maintain their attack and their work rate. Those are both deeply concerning because it could be a sign of a team that is slumping at a really bad time or it could be a sign of a team that has simply run out of gas.

The goaltending has obviously not been what it has been for most of the year. However, I don’t think that’s why they lost either game. Murray was slightly better against Washington than Jarry was today, but their problems were definitely further up the ice.

Again, for me, it comes down to special teams play. Today, it was just a constant procession to the penalty box, which disrupts the flow of the game. It’s impossible to roll four lines whenever you are either on the power play or the penalty kill for the entire period.

However, you take it if you’re cashing in on those power plays. If you are not cashing it, it’s actually hurting you by disrupting the flow of the game.

I also think it is important to not overreact to things like this because this was a perfect game for Carolina. They have a really good penalty kill and they were very comfortable against us. We looked tired and disjointed for most of the day. We just could not connect on any of our passes.

By the third period, it became a slog where Carolina was just funneling us to the perimeter in the offense of zone and when they had the puck, they just kept cycling it to the points and firing it on net waiting to get a bounce or two — which eventually happened.

We cannot beat big teams like them or Washington, another big team, if we are playing station-to-station hockey. We have to make those teams skate.

Also, we have to do a much better job of managing the puck in the neutral zone. That is definitely killing us and that just can’t happen. You’ve got to gain center ice and occasionally dump the puck into a corner and grind out possessions and make plays off the wall.

What they are doing right now (over and over) is to try to make high risk plays at the red line or the opposing blue line and when they don’t work — which is often — that is leading to quality scoring chances against. Eventually, when you surrender enough high danger chances, the other team is going to score its fair share of goals.

The team looks fried and Sully looks fried. They are an older team and the wear and tear of playing Sully's style has run the tank to empty. The end is near my friends. After today, I don't think we even make the playoffs.

For the second year in a row, this team has gone from talk of a cup, pre-trade deadline to epic self destruction after the deadline. These guys look like they're trying to get people fired.

I took some heat last year for being high on them and then a few weeks later telling the board that they wouldn't win a single game if they did manage to eke into the playoffs. Welp, this team has done it again. There aren't any playoff caliber teams that this Pens team is competitive with.

I just don't get it. How did our goaltending go so bad? I was a huge Murray and Jarry fan. Neither are good enough.

Crosby has 1 good month in him every year and beyond that, has been sub-All-Star level every season since the last cup. He's still good but you can't build a line around him let alone a team.

Malkin sucked last season and redeamed himself a bit this season but see the Crosby comment above.

Letang isn't good enough offensively to make up for his mental/defensive deficiencies.

The entire organization is a mess. When you look at what they drafted in the early 2000's, to have only won 3 cups and been to only 4 is underwhelming. There is no longer a window. They mortgaged the future for a bag of old, dusty, easily broken beans.
Whoa. Winning 3 Cups and going to 4 Finals is hardly underachieving. Name the list of FRANCHISES, who have 3 Cups since the 1967 expansion of the NHL. Montreal, Isles, Oilers, Pens, Wings, Devils, Hawks and well I am done.

You can better argue the Lemieux era Pens underachieved more than this group. Especially now with better overall talent and coaching and salary cap in the league.

Some thoughts/rants.....

Doc mentioned the Caps as a heavy team, but what was so alarming on Saturday is they just swarmed and ambushed us. During most of the game of the game it seemed like they had 7 skaters to our 5. They challenged every pass, every shot, every play along the defensive and offensive zones, they outnumbered in both slots, they did exactly what the Pens speed game is supposed to do.

I think Dumoulin and Marino are still getting their legs, the first two games looked good, maybe on adrenaline and also opponent quality, but still they were part of say that 2nd period against Buffalo where the Pens repeatedly couldn't get it out of their zone.

Right now, I would sit down either Schultz or Johnson for a game or 2. I would love to sit Letang, but hopefully Dumo and Marino are getting their legs, Letang doesn't need to play as much as he is.

"Simplifying their game". I love this phrase, what the hell does it mean? Well I'll give you an example. Sid is like Will Hunting. Not only a hockey savant, but he loves apples. He is the best playmaker and one of the best ever. But yesterday, in the 1st period, I think the score was 2-1, Sid had the puck behind his defender, in the slot, only the goalie between him and slid a pass over to Zucker who had his stick lifted at the last second and the pass just went innocently through the crease into a turnover. Sid, needs to shoot the effing puck right there. Sure it was a sure goal getting it to Zucker, only it wasn't because the defenseman made a great play. He added a layer of complexity to that situation that did not require it. Sid's a good enough goal scorer that the puck in that position where no one is between him and the goalie should be the only play. Sid is a "pass first" player, Ovy is a "shoot first" player, McDavid is a "score first" player.

But that is just an example. Their PP for all of their talent stinks. Again, always looking for that tic tac toe play, where sometimes all that is required is tic and tac. Or just toe. They are too stationary.

I can't blame the goalies based on the quality of defense played in front of them. Bit man, what was it, a minute into the game, Jim Dowd alone in the slot? Make the save! It is Jim Dowd not Rocket Richard. Or yesterday, some Geekie guy tips in a shot 34 seconds after Marleau scores, you need a save there. The goalies have to play better. This is one reason why Philly has taken over, they are finally getting good play from their goalie. Look at St Louis last year. Both goalies are not playing particularly well.

Prolonged slumps of guys like McCann, Simon, Schultz, Blueger, Tanev are really hurting this team and harkening back to the bottom 6 days of 2014 and 2015.

Sid is great, an all timer, but sometimes the coach needs to be a coach. Sheary on his line adds nothing. Patric Hornquist (the one guy I can't fault his effort) needs to be on his wing. For one thing, Horny will go to the net, draw defenders and open ice for Sid and Zucker. Another, he has a physical element that the opponents need to deal with and thirdly, he can actually score goals with consistency.

I would look for McCann to play with Geno and Rust. Maybe that would get him going.

I don't know what to do with the defense. They have little answers. I would have rather gotten a decent bottom pairing defenseman than Sheary. But no one is playing well.

Play the right way. Well it would start with some effing effort and passion. I would love to have seen some push back in the 3rd period (hell even an old school fight) but nothing. Just weakly into the night. To me that is a weakness of Sullivan's coaching and philosophy. Sometimes, you got to let the boys vent and if it devolves into some melees, so be it. You are playing the Canes again next weekend. This so reminds me of the Islanders series of last year.

Just something is not there. I think in some ways, this team actually will be better next provided they don't have every key guy on the roster go down for weeks or months. I think you will have a couple of new guys on the blueline, some forwards.....

But something just isn't clicking still. And the core is still here. Letang was a -4. He just doesn't seem willing to buy in. Malkin said it correctly, "when we are all healthy we think we will score a goal in every shift".

The 3rd (or 4th) line of Tanev/Blueger and ZAR (Now whoever) is very ineffective lately. Jared McCann has turned into Riley Sheahan. I don't like Connor Sheary on Sid's line (and still don't understand why the need to trade for him) and wouldn't mind seeing Hornquist put up there to provide some grit and net presence for Sid and Zucker.

Marleau is invisible, has even had a shot on goal? Again, nice story, HOF career, but this team shouldn't need a veteran presence. My god, the core has 3 Cups and 4 finals.

Right now. I see 4 teams in the East that are either more talented, or playing alot better than the Pens. Tampa, Boston, Philly and Washington. Philly is not better, but they are playing extremely well and Vignault is a helluva coach and they got a great staff.

I am not sure what is going to happen. Losing and getting their asses handed to them by the Caps is maybe better than say Murray standing on his head and pulling out and OT win, masking their performance because they weren't that egood against Buffalo.

Big game this afternoon. Must win.

From an effort perspective - it's been all Zucker & Sheary in recent games IMO.

Somthing is clearly wrong with our Core for this to happen. It's classic "Pens don't give a F**k" zone, and we thought we had a Cup contender....

Some thoughts/rants.....

Doc mentioned the Caps as a heavy team, but what was so alarming on Saturday is they just swarmed and ambushed us. During most of the game of the game it seemed like they had 7 skaters to our 5. They challenged every pass, every shot, every play along the defensive and offensive zones, they outnumbered in both slots, they did exactly what the Pens speed game is supposed to do.

I think Dumoulin and Marino are still getting their legs, the first two games looked good, maybe on adrenaline and also opponent quality, but still they were part of say that 2nd period against Buffalo where the Pens repeatedly couldn't get it out of their zone.

Right now, I would sit down either Schultz or Johnson for a game or 2. I would love to sit Letang, but hopefully Dumo and Marino are getting their legs, Letang doesn't need to play as much as he is.

"Simplifying their game". I love this phrase, what the hell does it mean? Well I'll give you an example. Sid is like Will Hunting. Not only a hockey savant, but he loves apples. He is the best playmaker and one of the best ever. But yesterday, in the 1st period, I think the score was 2-1, Sid had the puck behind his defender, in the slot, only the goalie between him and slid a pass over to Zucker who had his stick lifted at the last second and the pass just went innocently through the crease into a turnover. Sid, needs to shoot the effing puck right there. Sure it was a sure goal getting it to Zucker, only it wasn't because the defenseman made a great play. He added a layer of complexity to that situation that did not require it. Sid's a good enough goal scorer that the puck in that position where no one is between him and the goalie should be the only play. Sid is a "pass first" player, Ovy is a "shoot first" player, McDavid is a "score first" player.

But that is just an example. Their PP for all of their talent stinks. Again, always looking for that tic tac toe play, where sometimes all that is required is tic and tac. Or just toe. They are too stationary.

I can't blame the goalies based on the quality of defense played in front of them. Bit man, what was it, a minute into the game, Jim Dowd alone in the slot? Make the save! It is Jim Dowd not Rocket Richard. Or yesterday, some Geekie guy tips in a shot 34 seconds after Marleau scores, you need a save there. The goalies have to play better. This is one reason why Philly has taken over, they are finally getting good play from their goalie. Look at St Louis last year. Both goalies are not playing particularly well.

Prolonged slumps of guys like McCann, Simon, Schultz, Blueger, Tanev are really hurting this team and harkening back to the bottom 6 days of 2014 and 2015.

Sid is great, an all timer, but sometimes the coach needs to be a coach. Sheary on his line adds nothing. Patric Hornquist (the one guy I can't fault his effort) needs to be on his wing. For one thing, Horny will go to the net, draw defenders and open ice for Sid and Zucker. Another, he has a physical element that the opponents need to deal with and thirdly, he can actually score goals with consistency.

I would look for McCann to play with Geno and Rust. Maybe that would get him going.

I don't know what to do with the defense. They have little answers. I would have rather gotten a decent bottom pairing defenseman than Sheary. But no one is playing well.

Play the right way. Well it would start with some effing effort and passion. I would love to have seen some push back in the 3rd period (hell even an old school fight) but nothing. Just weakly into the night. To me that is a weakness of Sullivan's coaching and philosophy. Sometimes, you got to let the boys vent and if it devolves into some melees, so be it. You are playing the Canes again next weekend. This so reminds me of the Islanders series of last year.

Good post. I especially agree with your suggestion of Horny to Sids Line and McCann to Genos.

A guy I thought had a good game Sunday was Rodriquez. He might also be a good guy for sids like as he was really good on the forecheck and has some speed. Wont convert much but thats what Zucker and Sid are for.

O'Connor is the top college free agent forward this year on many people's list. Saravalli is reputable enough to get excited IMO. This can be viewed as JR getting a 2nd round pick back.

LW Drew O’Connor - Sophomore, Dartmouth
6-foot-3, 200 pounds
Stats: 29 GP, 21 goals, 11 assists, 32 points
The ECAC’s Co-Player of the Year has sprouted into a can’t-miss find. O’Connor was just 5-foot-8 at age 18, a big reason he wasn’t on NHL radars in his draft year, but has grown to 6-foot-3 while playing for the appropriately named for the Big Green. NHL teams have flocked to watch O’Connor, who they see as a legitimate NHL power forward prospect with a nose for the net. His 38 goals (in 68 games) are the third most in the country over the last two seasons – with a 16 per cent shooting percentage this season – but his overall game has grown as much as his body. There is definitely no shortage of NHL interest in O’Connor, but there is no guarantee the sophomore will decide to leave school early.
https://www.tsn.ca/friday-five-nhl-...1453626?tsn-amp#click=https://t.co/kCtizz3zfc

Pronman's take on the guy:
"Just two seasons ago, O’Connor was playing in the NCDC for the Boston Jr. Bruins, and now he looks on track to get an NHL contract. O’Connor is a 6-foot-3 forward with good hands and a quality skating stride. He competes well and projects to have some two-way value as a pro. I wouldn’t call him a true playmaker, but he’s got some offense in his game because of his hands and scoring ability. He makes the odd crafty play, but he’s more of a goal scorer and has been one of the top shot generators in the NCAA. While he skates well, I wish he would play a little faster at times."" https://theathletic.com/author/corey-pronman/

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/...w-oconnor-free-agent-ncaa-sign-dartmouth-tlh/

https://www.nhl.com/news/mitchell-chaffee-connor-mackey-top-college-hockey-free-agents/c-315312666

Recap: Harvard Men's Ice Hockey vs. Dartmouth - ECAC Quarterfinals - Game 2

Good post. I especially agree with your suggestion of Horny to Sids Line and McCann to Genos.

A guy I thought had a good game Sunday was Rodriquez. He might also be a good guy for sids like as he was really good on the forecheck and has some speed. Wont convert much but thats what Zucker and Sid are for.
He did have a good game. He might be a Pascal Dupuis type of player

Reactions: pittbb80
O'Connor is the top college free agent forward this year on many people's list. Saravalli is reputable enough to get excited IMO. This can be viewed as JR getting a 2nd round pick back.

LW Drew O’Connor - Sophomore, Dartmouth
6-foot-3, 200 pounds
Stats: 29 GP, 21 goals, 11 assists, 32 points
The ECAC’s Co-Player of the Year has sprouted into a can’t-miss find. O’Connor was just 5-foot-8 at age 18, a big reason he wasn’t on NHL radars in his draft year, but has grown to 6-foot-3 while playing for the appropriately named for the Big Green. NHL teams have flocked to watch O’Connor, who they see as a legitimate NHL power forward prospect with a nose for the net. His 38 goals (in 68 games) are the third most in the country over the last two seasons – with a 16 per cent shooting percentage this season – but his overall game has grown as much as his body. There is definitely no shortage of NHL interest in O’Connor, but there is no guarantee the sophomore will decide to leave school early.
https://www.tsn.ca/friday-five-nhl-...1453626?tsn-amp#click=https://t.co/kCtizz3zfc

Pronman's take on the guy:
"Just two seasons ago, O’Connor was playing in the NCDC for the Boston Jr. Bruins, and now he looks on track to get an NHL contract. O’Connor is a 6-foot-3 forward with good hands and a quality skating stride. He competes well and projects to have some two-way value as a pro. I wouldn’t call him a true playmaker, but he’s got some offense in his game because of his hands and scoring ability. He makes the odd crafty play, but he’s more of a goal scorer and has been one of the top shot generators in the NCAA. While he skates well, I wish he would play a little faster at times."" https://theathletic.com/author/corey-pronman/

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/03/08/penguins-drew-Ooconnor-free-agent-ncaa-sign-dartmouth-tlh/

https://www.nhl.com/news/mitchell-chaffee-connor-mackey-top-college-hockey-free-agents/c-315312666

Recap: Harvard Men's Ice Hockey vs. Dartmouth - ECAC Quarterfinals - Game 2
I heard Pierre Mcguire"s take on Oconnor on my way home from work today. He said he is big enough and strong enough and has great hands and thinks he could help the Pens Immediately. I am hoping he is right, he really knows these young guys pretty well. We desperately need size and young legs in this line-up.

I heard Pierre Mcguire"s take on Oconnor on my way home from work today. He said he is big enough and strong enough and has great hands and thinks he could help the Pens Immediately. I am hoping he is right, he really knows these young guys pretty well. We desperately need size and young legs in this line-up.
Wait so there’s a chance he can join the lineup right away? Interesting. Agreed that we need that in our lineup. Been a while since we had a power forward with type of size.

Wait so there’s a chance he can join the lineup right away? Interesting. Agreed that we need that in our lineup. Been a while since we had a power forward with type of size.
They also said NHL teams were in line trying to sign him. I don't want to annoint him the next Kevin Stevens yet, but, I was really getting down on this team and this has picked up my spirit a bit. That said, we have a tenuous grip on a playoff spot, I hope these guys can recharge for the stretch run because they had dead legs this past weekend at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT