ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

Yeah, the Islanders and Bruins appear to be the Pens kryptonite and expose Sully's "just play" mantra. Big problem is that Sid, Rust and Guentzel, all three are barely tall enough to ride the jack rabbit. And Sid is not as fast as he was, Guentzel was never that fast, it appears even Rust has lost a step. The only real super fast guys are Kapanen and Tanev. And Matheson on the back end. The Pens just don't have real physical guys to get to the slot, they are easy to push and keep on the perimeter.
Totally agree! If we would dispose of the Islanders which is highly dubious, Boston is a total mismatch and just way to physical a team for us. Sully should have kept Ryan Reeves. If we still had him, they wouldn't be taking cheap shots because they would have someone they would have to answer to. Reeves was a decent hockey player and Sully never gave him a chance. Rutherford was not stupid! He did trade away to many top draft picks, but he did have a handle on team needs. Like I said before, if we flame out against the Islanders, then Sully should be the first piece to get cut loose!

Yeah, the Islanders and Bruins appear to be the Pens kryptonite and expose Sully's "just play" mantra. Big problem is that Sid, Rust and Guentzel, all three are barely tall enough to ride the jack rabbit. And Sid is not as fast as he was, Guentzel was never that fast, it appears even Rust has lost a step. The only real super fast guys are Kapanen and Tanev. And Matheson on the back end. The Pens just don't have real physical guys to get to the slot, they are easy to push and keep on the perimeter.

Guentzel's problems playing defense and on the forcheck have been at issue since the day he returned from a much worse than normal shoulder injury.

These issues were not noticed as much during the regular season as Refs were calling penalties then, and the regular season is not usually as tight checking as postseason.

You guys may recall the epic beat down I took for harping on this issue a couple months ago when he was scoring, but not doing anything else really - not playing the complete game he used to. I had hoped he was turning a corner a couple games ago when he started pushing back against the big Islanders defenseman, but alas....

Pens 4-3 winners tonight BTW....

Pens starting out fast tonight but missed a bunch of scoring chances ...... have to put one in the back of the net ...... don't let the NYI weather the storm !

Well that was deflating ...... outplayed them for 19 minutes and give up a goal in the last minute ...... Guentzel gets turned inside out trying to defend and they bury one ...... if there was ever a good time to take a penalty, it may have been there (Guentzel could have hooked him to prevent a goal).

Guentzel needs sat down. He gives you nothing, only takes away. That was a sad attempt at a check. He has to be sore as hell, because he spends most of his time picking himself up off the ice.

Well that was deflating ...... outplayed them for 19 minutes and give up a goal in the last minute ...... Guentzel gets turned inside out trying to defend and they bury one ...... if there was ever a good time to take a penalty, it may have been there (Guentzel could have hooked him to prevent a goal).
All Guentzel needed to do was make contact and get into the body and skate with him. That would negate the whole scoring opportunity. Jarry did not play that with confidence. He was too small and slumped over. Probably wouldn't matter there, but with the paddle and blocker down he exposed a lot of high net. Apologies to recruits on that!

Reactions: goalieman
This is a goaltending mismatch. Soroken is dominant, Jarry faced one tough shot and gave the guy way to much net. It takes us about 12 good chances to get one goal. It takes them one.

Just finished cussing out Geno for carrying the puck out of the offensive zone and then BOOM!
I guess Geno knows more than me about hockey. Was able to reset the offensive position and deny the Isles the line change.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
All Guentzel needed to do was make contact and get into the body and skate with him. That would negate the whole scoring opportunity. Jarry did not play that with confidence. He was too small and slumped over. Probably wouldn't matter there, but with the paddle and blocker down he exposed a lot of high net. Apologies to recruits on that!
Looked at the replay and agree with you ...... yeah definitely, Guentzel needs to play the body there, but when he skated back then turned around toward the puck carrier, he was never square to to him and got turned inside out and couldn't get the angle to make the check and the puck carrier went around him ...... Jarry had his skates split wide when the NYI player came in on him a position which allows him to close the 5 hole quicker but lowers his shoulders and you are absolutely correct, Jarry was hunched over and leaning forward too far which lowered his blocker too far and he also drifted backwards some instead of holding his ground or coming out some all of which exposed a lot of the upper net ..... good post USN_Panther !

Islanders absolutely have the superior goaltender in Sorokin. And now they're in the typical Penguins mode of not shooting, looking for the perfect pass for the wide open net. Never will score when you don't shoot.

Islanders absolutely have the superior goaltender in Sorokin. And now they're in the typical Penguins mode of not shooting, looking for the perfect pass for the wide open net. Never will score when you don't shoot.
Agree, Sorokin has been FANTASTIC and has kept the NYI in the game .... he has been a big difference so far.

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a
I think this series ends in 6 after tonight. Neither team is likely to recover from a loss, most especially the Pens who should have probably won this game 5 or 6 to 1 in regulation.

At no point in the 3rd period or 1st OT did I feel they'd get one past Sorokin. It just had a loss feeling once the Isles tied it up. Jarry is so mediocre.

Goaltending mismatch from the get go. Its like a man against a little boy. Every mistake wound up in our net. What a bunch of filthy bums. Perhaps we could get Ron Hextall out of the booth for game 6.

Reactions: gary2
Geezus Jarry. Goaltending the difference tonight.
Sorokin is 3 & 0 now. He’s been the difference in this series. Thank God no-neck played Varlomov in games 2 & 3. Or this series could well already be over.

As it is, it’ll be a very tough task for the Pens now.

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a
At no point in the 3rd period or 1st OT did I feel they'd get one past Sorokin. It just had a loss feeling once the Isles tied it up. Jarry is so mediocre.
Totally agree. Only a dumb ass makes that play Jarry tries to make in the 2nd OT. We skated rings around their sorry asses tonight and lost because we puked on ourselves every goal they got. They didn't earn any of the three, and we had to work our little nutbags off to get one past Soroken. Truly unreal. I have seen games stolen before but not to many that were dominated to that degree. Then again, I don't think in all my years of watching playoff hockey, that I have seen a team score three goals that were absolutely gifted to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT