ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

If Jarry plays well and we win 2-0 or 2-1, NY fans are looking at our two goals and wondering how he let them in.
Seemed like they were targeting high blocker side and Blueger would've had one had it not hit the shaft of Sorokin's stick, ala Fleury vs he Caps in '17.

I know nothing about hockey, so take this with a grain of salt from someone who randomly watched the game:

I thought luck, as much as anything, decided last night's outcome. I also thought there were some instances where the Penguins should have put the puck on the net a bit more, which seems weird to say when considering how many shots they had. But I didn't get the impression that the Islanders' goalie necessarily stood on his head or anything. The Penguins dominated the game, but almost all his saves were more routine to solid than they were spectacular. Although the puck was in their zone most of the night, it seemed like they did a decent job of eliminating the great scoring chances, although there were certainly a few more deflections to be had.

I know nothing about hockey, so take this with a grain of salt from someone who randomly watched the game:

I thought luck, as much as anything, decided last night's outcome. I also thought there were some instances where the Penguins should have put the puck on the net a bit more, which seems weird to say when considering how many shots they had. But I didn't get the impression that the Islanders' goalie necessarily stood on his head or anything. The Penguins dominated the game, but almost all his saves were more routine to solid than they were spectacular. Although the puck was in their zone most of the night, it seemed like they did a decent job of eliminating the great scoring chances, although there were certainly a few more deflections to be had.
It generally comes down to the law of averages. The more quality shots you put on net, the more likely a couple are going in. The Pens had like 18 quality chances and 2 went in. The Isles had like 6 quality chances and 3 went in.
Sarokin was outstanding, no matte how it looked, he won this game.

I just saw the replay of the winning goal. Man, that was brutal. I've seen plays like that happen before, but not in a situation like that.

If you were watching and you can find a clip of Mike Lange's call, you should listen. Lange called it so matter-of-factly it sounded like he was almost speechless. Almost no emotion to the call.

Jarry basically quit after the turnover and curled up into the goalie equivalent of the fetal position. He made himself small by leaning over and inexplicably had his paddle down flat way before the shot. He needed to be big and get out and challenge there. That shows me that mentally he is toast.

I'm 6-1 in beer league B grade, with under 2 GAA. Only loss was 2-1. If I make any of those 3 errors, my coach is way up my arse. Jarry is toast mentally. Those are basic stance errors, and a colossally dumb play of the puck.
Goalie is a tough position to play. But much of it is basic. Playing big. Keeping the glove and blocker in front in your view. Post coverage. Angles. Making the save with the blade, not the paddle. Basic goalie skating with t push and using the edges. Do the basics right and when seeing and tracking well, your body just makes the saves by reaction. When not tracking well, most of the saves happen just through positioning and stance. Lose those basics and Roxanne turns on the red light.
Seems like a pretty big difference of opinion between you and our other goalie expert?

If Jarry plays well and we win 2-0 or 2-1, NY fans are looking at our two goals and wondering how he let them in.
I don't believe that for a second. There was a big difference between the onslaught Sorokin was subjected to and what Jarry had to contend with. It wasn't comparable at all, and you could also say Jarry had a fairly light load considering it went into the second OT.

I don't believe that for a second. There was a big difference between the onslaught Sorokin was subjected to and what Jarry had to contend with. It wasn't comparable at all, and you could also say Jarry had a fairly light load considering it went into the second OT.
What I am saying is that for most fans, any save that was made was by definition saveable.

Fans only look at the shots that went in.

watching live, did you expect Malkin to score there? Rust?

Not saying it is right, just the way it is.

What I am saying is that for most fans, any save that was made was by definition saveable.

Fans only look at the shots that went in.

watching live, did you expect Malkin to score there? Rust?

Not saying it is right, just the way it is.

I disagree. Isles fans know they were only in that game because of their goalie. There isn't a person alive who could watch that game and think otherwise.

Jarry basically quit after the turnover and curled up into the goalie equivalent of the fetal position. He made himself small by leaning over and inexplicably had his paddle down flat way before the shot. He needed to be big and get out and challenge there. That shows me that mentally he is toast.

I'm 6-1 in beer league B grade, with under 2 GAA. Only loss was 2-1. If I make any of those 3 errors, my coach is way up my arse. Jarry is toast mentally. Those are basic stance errors, and a colossally dumb play of the puck.
Goalie is a tough position to play. But much of it is basic. Playing big. Keeping the glove and blocker in front in your view. Post coverage. Angles. Making the save with the blade, not the paddle. Basic goalie skating with t push and using the edges. Do the basics right and when seeing and tracking well, your body just makes the saves by reaction. When not tracking well, most of the saves happen just through positioning and stance. Lose those basics and Roxanne turns on the red light.
Analysis of the game winning goal in overtime last night from the goalies standpoint ........

- I wouldn't say Jarry quit on the play but I think he may have panicked a bit .... anyway, here goes .....

- The puck was cleared down ice and Jarry went outside the crease to his left about 6-8 feet to play the puck ...... he had Zucker on the left boards and Malkin on the right boards in the breakout position with no Islander on them ...... the play was obviously to pass the puck to either Zucker or Malkin along the boards to start a breakout ...... instead Jarry inexplicably passed the puck up the center of the ice where it was intercepted by the Islander about the level of the top of the circle to Jarry's left ...... that was a huge no-no and a BIG mistake (I'm just not sure what he was thinking).

- At that point Jarry needed to move back from where he was outside the net toward the crease to just to the left of midline at the top of the crease to get back on angle and in position to challenge the puck carrier ...... to do this all he needed to do was shuffle twice laterally on his skates which would have gotten him there in time in a controlled fashion facing the shooter and with time to get back in his basic stance ...... instead he shuffled twice but on the second shuffle instead of staying on his skates to control exactly where he would end up, he went down on his right pad and couldn't control how far he slid and ended up sliding too far to his right which put him off angle and exposed open net on the entire glove side, this created a big problem ...... knowing this was a problem, Jarry tried to cover the glove side by extending his left pad out and positioning his left arm and glove straight out from his shoulder and initially parallel to the ice ...... this put him in an extremely awkward and vulnerable position with the shooter now in a high danger area ...... in addition, his stick and blocker were out of position because when he initially got the puck and he shot it up ice, in order to shoot the puck he had to slide his blocker side hand from the paddle of his stick up to the top of the stick (near the knob) and his glove hand had to be placed at the mid point of the stick handle ...... after he shot the puck and came back toward the crease, he never repositioned his blocker hand down to the paddle of the stick but kept it at the end of the stick (at the knob) where he basically had no control of the position or movement of his stick and the stick and blocker were too low ......

- Then, when the shot was taken he had his stick and blocker basically on the ice and his glove had dropped to almost behind his left pad (I can't believe I saw this), the shot went in high glove side.

- One other thing that I noticed was that just as the shooter took the shot, Geno got his stick on the ice close to and right in front of the puck ..... I couldn't tell for sure but I think the puck may have slightly nicked Geno's stick and slightly changed trajectory and speed toward the glove side ...... tend to doubt that was enough to affect a save though.

- In any event, the video of this play would be great to show at a goalie clinic of what NOT to do in that situation !

- If DeSmith was healthy it would be time to put him in net for the next game, but it doesn't look like he will be and I think they will have to come back with Jarry ...... Jarry is going to have to settle down, refocus, go over game tape with his goalie coach and see what he could have done better and learn from it .....

Last edited:
You really think our goalie played well enough to win?

I guess maybe taken in a vacuum considering Jarry only. But overall, goal-tending is so far lopsided in this series. We’re just lucky Sorokin didn’t play 2 of the games.

We’re not getting goals from our top line and the Isles get a lot of credit for it, but it’s not like they’ve been completely void of scoring chances, even good scoring chances.
3 goals in 4+ periods is enough to win. We need have our 1st 2 lines play better and get people in front of their golie

I feel confident that if Sorokin had made Jarry's error last night...Sorokin recovers and makes the save.

I would like to see the bulk of the team return next season for a run at the cup.

The lone exceptions would be Sullivan and Jarry.

The game has changed and Sullivan hasn’t. Jarry is both too inconsistent and error prone.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I would like to see the bulk of the team return next season for a run at the cup.

The lone exceptions would be Sullivan and Jarry.

The game has changed and Sullivan hasn’t. Jarry is both too inconsistent and error prone.

You know Sully will find a good job in 5 minutes and will win a cup before the Pens if he leaves , whomever made personnel decisions is the one who is too blame

You know Sully will find a good job in 5 minutes and will win a cup before the Pens if he leaves , whomever made personnel decisions is the one who is too blame
I don’t think so. No one wants to play for a coach that physically provides no protection for his star players.

Stars want to play injury free and healthy as much as possible. Sully’s style does everything to prevent. That.

I don’t think so. No one wants to play for a coach that physically provides no protection for his star players.

Stars want to play injury free and healthy as much as possible. Sully’s style does everything to prevent. That.
NHL players want to win a cup. Under Sully they've won two......... He can only coach the players he has available to him. The Pens no longer have a net front presence....think Chris Kunitz or Patrik Hornquist.....Snipe all day long and a good goalie is going to stonewall you unless his space is squeezed and his vision is impeded.

So you're for having goons to protect star players? Seems like moving backwards

NHL players want to win a cup. Under Sully they've won two......... He can only coach the players he has available to him. The Pens no longer have a net front presence....think Chris Kunitz or Patrik Hornquist.....Snipe all day long and a good goalie is going to stonewall you unless his space is squeezed and his vision is impeded.

The game is evolving. If Sullivan wants to keep his job, This should be Sullivan:

The cups are now a distant memory. He has won 1 playoff series in 4 years while burning the last few chances of winning another cup with Sid and Geno. It is time to give someone else a shot, especially a guy who may be open to altering the makeup of the roster from strictly speed to one that is a bit heavier and tougher. Give me more Tanev, less Guentzel.

Sully is one dimensional. Let him go somwhere else and win, I don't care. Its time to take a new approach if this years run is aborted tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
I haven't quit on the Pens. Every series is 3-2 after 5 games (or it is already over). By game six, someone is behind by one game. The thing about playoff hockey is that it can shift on one play. Jarry had some bad plays in game 5. But it isn't anything that can't be corrected. Now can he do it? We will see. It is all mental with concentration and fundamentals. We also need to break the seal on the Islanders net and get the puck in there. We have the players who can do it.

Who remembers the first round series in 1992 against the Caps? Down 3-1 all my mates were down and ready to call it quits. Not me. I ordered 4 tickets for game 7 in Washington for the Friday night game. Guess who had those friends calling him genius to get a spot in the car for the roadie? I bailed out halfway into a Pharmacology test to leave on time. The boys were pissing in the woods along 270 when we were stuck in traffic. After that game we kept walking around the concourse in the Cap Centre high fiving Pens fans. This can happen this year. Pens need a leader who is going to hold everyone accountable. I'm hoping Jeff Carter is threatening to kill people so he can have another Cup run. Crosby needs to put them on his back. Guentzel needs to WTFU and quit being a complete playoff pansy. Well, and having USNPanther there losing my freaking mind in the crowd would help too, but can't deliver that.

Here's to victory giving another game to agonise over!
Let's Go Pens!

Last edited:
3 goals in 4+ periods is enough to win. We need have our 1st 2 lines play better and get people in front of their golie
Everyone is blaming Jarry and he cost them the OT goal. But the flipside to this is the Pens scored only 2 goals. Again. The Pens strength was never in goal or on defense, it is always on offense. Jarry effed up and cost Game 5, but let's be honest......how many OT's does it go before something deflects in on Jarry off of a skate, or a goal. I am not absolving him, but the fact remains since the long forgotten opening round in 2018 where the Pens have dusted the Flyers, the Pens have played 19 games, going 5-14. They have scored over 3 goals, ONCE!! ONCE! The 5-4 Game 3. 9 of the 19 games the Pens scored 3 goals. The Pens have won 5 of those 9.

Playing these tight games, because of goaltending, is poison for the Pens. They got to score. They aren't scoring. Especially the big guns. Sid has gone 16 games without a multipoint game in the playoffs. If Connor McDavid did the same, the Pgh media would have a field day with it. But Sid has a bit of the Emperor's New Clothes affect on the local media, nobody is willing to call him out. He's trying , of course he is. But results matter. Geno, hasn't exactly lit up the score sheet the past 20 playoff games. Neither has Guentzel. So......yeah, the Pens have been outplayed in net, but they also have been outplayed by the other team's top forwards.

We have spent much of the last 4 playoff series blaming the goaltender, the bottom pairing D (Jack Johnson), the bottom 6 and Kris Letang. It is time for that blame to be also shared by the top line.

And what does that make you , when a yinzer dumbass is 90% more right than you on an avg day, especially anything related to sports? Admit you were wrong mouth!
You flatter yourself Yinzer boy. I get why you stick to simple thoughts. They fit you.

Everyone is blaming Jarry and he cost them the OT goal. But the flipside to this is the Pens scored only 2 goals. Again. The Pens strength was never in goal or on defense, it is always on offense. Jarry effed up and cost Game 5, but let's be honest......how many OT's does it go before something deflects in on Jarry off of a skate, or a goal. I am not absolving him, but the fact remains since the long forgotten opening round in 2018 where the Pens have dusted the Flyers, the Pens have played 19 games, going 5-14. They have scored over 3 goals, ONCE!! ONCE! The 5-4 Game 3. 9 of the 19 games the Pens scored 3 goals. The Pens have won 5 of those 9.

Playing these tight games, because of goaltending, is poison for the Pens. They got to score. They aren't scoring. Especially the big guns. Sid has gone 16 games without a multipoint game in the playoffs. If Connor McDavid did the same, the Pgh media would have a field day with it. But Sid has a bit of the Emperor's New Clothes affect on the local media, nobody is willing to call him out. He's trying , of course he is. But results matter. Geno, hasn't exactly lit up the score sheet the past 20 playoff games. Neither has Guentzel. So......yeah, the Pens have been outplayed in net, but they also have been outplayed by the other team's top forwards.

We have spent much of the last 4 playoff series blaming the goaltender, the bottom pairing D (Jack Johnson), the bottom 6 and Kris Letang. It is time for that blame to be also shared by the top line.

Understand where you're coming from, but they had 50 shots with many being high quality scoring chances. Sometime you run into a hot goalie and that's when you need your goalie to step up, not blow the game. If Jarry doesn't gaff, how many OTs would it go before Sorokin eventually let one in?

Seriously, that was one of the most encouraging games I've seen in years from this team.

Guentzel has been bad and I'd seriously consider getting him off Sid's line. Rust hasn't been much better, but maybe a little. They're both bringing Sid down. That, and Sullivan's lack of interest in getting them away from Pelech.

I'd put carter on sid's line, his size might open up some space for sid to operate
Sid, Sid, Sid. Lets help Sid.

For a great player, there seems to be a ton of efforts to help Sid.

Trying to “help” Sid seems to have been going on for years.

Sid seems to be “despartely” in “need” of “help”. Strange.

Sid seems to get whatever he wants, yet it never seems to “help”. Strange.

Just once, I would like to hear I think we should play Sid with Joe Blow to help Joe Blow. Strange we never hear “that”.

Last edited:
Sid, Sid, Sid. Lets help Sid.

For a great player, there seems to be a ton of efforts to help Sid.

Trying to “help” Sid seems to have been going on for years.

Sid seems to be “despartely” in “need” of “help”. Strange.

Sid seems to get whatever he wants, yet it never seems to “help”. Strange.

Just once, I would like to hear I think we should play Sid with Joe Blow to help Joe Blow. Strange we never hear “that”.
Sid's helped whoever has played with him. Not sure what your issue is with getting him line mates that are capable of playing with him. Nobody cares about Joe Blow, that's why you never hear it.

I would leave Carter at center and maybe move McCann or another high energy guy up, maybe even Rodriguez. Hate to break up BART, but either of Aston-Reese or Tanev would provide some needed hustle and grit to that line against Pelech/Polock.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
All I have to say is that the Penguins better win tonight.
This isn't 1980 and the Islanders are not the Russian Red Army, dig down deep and win.

Reactions: gary2
Sid's helped whoever has played with him. Not sure what your issue is with getting him line mates that are capable of playing with him. Nobody cares about Joe Blow, that's why you never hear it.

I would leave Carter at center and maybe move McCann or another high energy guy up, maybe even Rodriguez. Hate to break up BART, but either of Aston-Reese or Tanev would provide some needed hustle and grit to that line against Pelech.
He gets every line mate the coach thinks are capable of playing with him. They play together until the line doesn’t produce, then it’s ”their” fault and time to “help” Sid again.

Rinse and repeat.

Understand where you're coming from, but they had 50 shots with many being high quality scoring chances. Sometime you run into a hot goalie and that's when you need your goalie to step up, not blow the game. If Jarry doesn't gaff, how many OTs would it go before Sorokin eventually let one in?

Seriously, that was one of the most encouraging games I've seen in years from this team.

Guentzel has been bad and I'd seriously consider getting him off Sid's line. Rust hasn't been much better, but maybe a little. They're both bringing Sid down. That, and Sullivan's lack of interest in getting them away from Pelech.
But the aggregate. They can't put pucks behind any goalie with regularity. Every goalie seems to play like a Hall of Famer against them.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT