ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

Totally agree. Only a dumb ass makes that play Jarry tries to make in the 2nd OT. We skated rings around their sorry asses tonight and lost because we puked on ourselves every goal they got. They didn't earn any of the three, and we had to work our little nutbags off to get one past Soroken. Truly unreal. I have seen games stolen before but not to many that were dominated to that degree. Then again, I don't think in all my years of watching playoff hockey, that I have seen a team score three goals that were absolutely gifted to them.
The Pens just dont have the focus that the Isles have. Sure they played well tonight but dumb little mistakes have cost them all series. The Isle absolutely will deserve the series win if they close it out in 2 days.

Reactions: CougarClaws
As long as Soroken is alive through end of game 6, the Pens are wasting their time going to Long Island. It is pointless, because they don't and they shouldn't trust their goalie after tonight.

Well, after reading the back n forth in this thread earlier today, it was inevitable that goaltending was going to be the big difference in this game.

Reactions: gary2
Pens are 3-12 in their last 15 playoff games. During that stretch, Sidney Crosby hasn't scored more than 1 point in any of those games and is a -5. Chew on that. It is always the goalie's fault, Geno's fault, Letang's fault or Sid's wingers fault. It is time for people to start placing some of the blame on Crosby. He's an all time 1st ballot HOFer not for a back check every once in awhile. He is not creating nor generating his own scoring opportunities.

I have said this before, I thought it was a bit irresponsible of the Pens in not acquiring a true veteran goalie like a Vokoun, a Craig Anderson, for this season. Just so much unproven goaltenders......

Another series where the other team's goalie has played better than the Pens. Of course there is a flip side to that coin. Another year the other team has been more opportunistic in converting chances than the Pens superstar forwards.

Well that was deflating ...... outplayed them for 19 minutes and give up a goal in the last minute ...... Guentzel gets turned inside out trying to defend and they bury one ...... if there was ever a good time to take a penalty, it may have been there (Guentzel could have hooked him to prevent a goal).
Jake did get turned around. Jakecould have played it better.

Now....what is Letang doing pinching that far down up one and that late in the period.

Now...despite howJake played it, how would you rate the degree of scoring chance he gave up? One thru five,with five being the best chance,I rate it 3.5.

That is saved more often than not.

Now....what is Letang doing pinching that far down up one and that late in the period.

Now...despite howJake played it, how would you rate the degree of scoring chance he gave up? One thru five,with five being the best chance,I rate it 3.5.

We know what happened on the third goal.

on the NY second goal, Dumolin gave up the puck cleanly on a hit. The result was a 5 star scoring chance.

it might have been less easy had Jarry not taken himself completely out of making a play. He was a beached whale. Played it like a high school goalie.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Missed the final goal as I was driving home from the bar where I watched the first 4 periods. Might be viewing this through Black-and-Gold glasses but I feel like the Pens played an exceptional game. When it was 2-2, I thought the Islanders had generated abut two good chances and scored on both while the Pens had about a dozen and scored on two. This is not the same Penguins team that went out meekly in the last two playoffs, even though the result may well be the same. Hoping they can pull this out, but it has a familiarly fatalistic feel to it.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

on the NY second goal, Dumolin gave up the puck cleanly on a hit. The result was a 5 star scoring chance.

it might have been less easy had Jarry not taken himself completely out of making a play. He was a beached whale. Played it like a high school goalie.
You nailed it pretty good on the Isles 2nd goal. It was a 5- star scoring chance.....thanks to Dumolin easily coughing up the puck on the solid Isles hit.

And while it was a 5-star chance, Jarry didn’t do himself any favors by flopping like a beached whale way too early.

Pens are 3-12 in their last 15 playoff games. During that stretch, Sidney Crosby hasn't scored more than 1 point in any of those games and is a -5. Chew on that. It is always the goalie's fault, Geno's fault, Letang's fault or Sid's wingers fault. It is time for people to start placing some of the blame on Crosby. He's an all time 1st ballot HOFer not for a back check every once in awhile. He is not creating nor generating his own scoring opportunities.

Great points

Shots are typically rated as low danger, medium danger, and high danger depending on where they are taken on the ice and whether they are taken off rebounds or on the rush (which upgrade the degree of difficulty) ..... obviously high danger shots have the highest chance of scoring a goal ....... on goal #1, based on where the shot was taken and the fact that it came on the rush would have been considered a high danger scoring chance ...... the average Save % on high danger scoring chances is approximately 80%.

USN_Panther and I both described how Jarry played that shot and how he could have played it better in previous posts during the game.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Shots are typically rated as low danger, medium danger, and high danger depending on where they are taken on the ice and whether they are taken off rebounds or on the rush (which upgrade the degree of difficulty) ..... obviously high danger shots have the highest chance of scoring a goal ....... on goal #1, based on where the shot was taken and the fact that it came on the rush would have been considered a high danger scoring chance ...... the average Save % on high danger scoring chances is approximately 80%.

USN_Panther and I both described how Jarry played that shot and how he could have played it better in previous posts during the game.
Yep. Read them. Spot on.

You nailed it pretty good on the Isles 2nd goal. It was a 5- star scoring chance.....thanks to Dumolin easily coughing up the puck on the solid Isles hit.

And while it was a 5-star chance, Jarry didn’t do himself any favors by flopping like a beached whale way too early.
A little more detail on the 2nd goal for the NYI's ....... The puck was turned over in the corner behind the goal line and Jarry appropriately was standing on the near post ..... as the Islander carried the puck outside the goal line, Jarry appropriately went into the rVH position on the near post ...... the puck was then quickly passed to the low slot in front of the crease where a wide open Islander tried a one timer which would be a very difficult save for the goalie, Jarry's job was to try and get from the post out and over toward the top of the crease really quickly in order to have a chance to save the one-timer, Jarry actually did a really good job of getting there and if a one-timer had been taken he had a good chance of making the save ...... unfortunately, when the Islander went for the one-timer, the puck actually jumped over his stick and went several feet to his right (to Jarry's left) ..... at that point, Jarry was off angle and in order to have the best chance to make the save, Jarry had to quickly power push over to the corner of the crease to get back on angle and to do that, he had to lift his right pad and get on the inner edge of his right skate blade and push across while keeping his left leg in the butterfly position and finally closing the right pad into a full butterfly as he went across ..... he actually did lift his right pad and tried to push off but for some reason his right skate gave way underneath him, thus he got no push at all (no movement at all) and it caused him to lose balance and flop which left an open net for the shooter ..... no excuse, but that is a more detailed analysis of what happened from turnover to goal on that play.

A little more detail on the 2nd goal for the NYI's ....... The puck was turned over in the corner behind the goal line and Jarry appropriately was standing on the near post ..... as the Islander carried the puck outside the goal line, Jarry appropriately went into the rVH position on the near post ...... the puck was then quickly passed to the low slot in front of the crease where a wide open Islander tried a one timer which would be a very difficult save for the goalie, Jarry's job was to try and get from the post out and over toward the top of the crease really quickly in order to have a chance to save the one-timer, Jarry actually did a really good job of getting there and if a one-timer had been taken he had a good chance of making the save ...... unfortunately, when the Islander went for the one-timer, the puck actually jumped over his stick and went several feet to his right (to Jarry's left) ..... at that point, Jarry was off angle and in order to have the best chance to make the save, Jarry had to quickly power push over to the corner of the crease to get back on angle and to do that, he had to lift his right pad and get on the inner edge of his right skate blade and push across while keeping his left leg in the butterfly position and finally closing the right pad into a full butterfly as he went across ..... he actually did lift his right pad and tried to push off but for some reason his right skate gave way underneath him, thus he got no push at all (no movement at all) and it caused him to lose balance and flop which left an open net for the shooter ..... no excuse, but that is a more detailed analysis of what happened from turnover to goal on that play.

The last goal was something a 1st grader would have saved, not literally of course but it was a horrible goal

I just reviewed that last goal again, it's late and it upset me so much that I'll wait until tomorrow and I calm down some to discuss.
Jarry basically quit after the turnover and curled up into the goalie equivalent of the fetal position. He made himself small by leaning over and inexplicably had his paddle down flat way before the shot. He needed to be big and get out and challenge there. That shows me that mentally he is toast.

I'm 6-1 in beer league B grade, with under 2 GAA. Only loss was 2-1. If I make any of those 3 errors, my coach is way up my arse. Jarry is toast mentally. Those are basic stance errors, and a colossally dumb play of the puck.
Goalie is a tough position to play. But much of it is basic. Playing big. Keeping the glove and blocker in front in your view. Post coverage. Angles. Making the save with the blade, not the paddle. Basic goalie skating with t push and using the edges. Do the basics right and when seeing and tracking well, your body just makes the saves by reaction. When not tracking well, most of the saves happen just through positioning and stance. Lose those basics and Roxanne turns on the red light.

One goalie on the ice yesterday was doing a pretty good job getting that save % on high danger scoring chances up to 80%.

Stats I saw had the Pens with 14 high danger scoring chances and the Isles with only 4.

Last edited:
Pens going out in first round completes the Pittsburgh grand slam. Pitt basketball, Steelers Pirates now Pens. Shame for Pittsburgh Sports fans that all these rooting interests are entering the "rebuild" phase at the same time.
Pretty amazing when Pitt Football seems to hold out the most hope for a winner!

I honestly thought the Pens would get past this round. However, I never once thought about Sorokin or Jarry. Silly me.

That and the way the Isles have taken the Pen's stars out of the game. Just by playing their "system". That and roughing the Pens up.

What do we watch now?? Back to Netflix, I guess.......

This series is being won by the top line of the Islanders and their forechecking on our top line. Yes our goalie gave up 3 goals in 4+ periods but he played well enough to win. We can not score enough goals against the Isles and that is due to their goalie and top line forechecking.

Jarry basically quit after the turnover and curled up into the goalie equivalent of the fetal position. He made himself small by leaning over and inexplicably had his paddle down flat way before the shot. He needed to be big and get out and challenge there. That shows me that mentally he is toast.

I'm 6-1 in beer league B grade, with under 2 GAA. Only loss was 2-1. If I make any of those 3 errors, my coach is way up my arse. Jarry is toast mentally. Those are basic stance errors, and a colossally dumb play of the puck.
Goalie is a tough position to play. But much of it is basic. Playing big. Keeping the glove and blocker in front in your view. Post coverage. Angles. Making the save with the blade, not the paddle. Basic goalie skating with t push and using the edges. Do the basics right and when seeing and tracking well, your body just makes the saves by reaction. When not tracking well, most of the saves happen just through positioning and stance. Lose those basics and Roxanne turns on the red light.
I tend to agree and think he's toast mentally. His positioning has been bad all series and he seems way too tight.

Oversimplification, but when goalies are playing well they make it look easy. It looks hard for Jarry right now.

I tend to agree and think he's toast mentally. His positioning has been bad all series and he seems way too tight.

Oversimplification, but when goalies are playing well they make it look easy. It looks hard for Jarry right now.
It is amazing that has happened to now two goalies under this same goalie coach.

As I suspected - one of the most dominant Penguins performances in the last decade. A for-sure too 5 performance under Sullivan.

Who knows? It technically isn't over until it's over.
The Penguins have the pedigree to win 2 in a row.
They actually dominated last night everywhere but where it counted, the scoreboard.
Incredible how hard they worked for their two goals, and pfffft! the Isles have 3 easy goals out of way less chances.

It was clear from the start that it would be hard to beat Sorokin. Even lady luck was on his side with the blind toe save on Letang's shot from far out. Hockey is a funny game in that regard.

You would hope the Pens keep firing, play with that intensity, and Sorokin's carriage will turn into a pumpkin. However, he is a very seasoned goalie for a rookie. Lots of high pressure experience coming into the NHL.

If Crosby and his line suddenly figure it out, or if Sullivan changes something out, or if Jarry gets his head out of his rear end, the Pens could still win this game. Get to Game 7, and anything can happen.

The way this is trending, you can't like the Pens chances, but they still have a chance. They'll have to get all over NY in game 6, win in any way they can. Then come back to Pittsburgh and get ready for a gut wrenching game 7.
If they don't stop handing the Isles goals, however, they can dust off the golf clubs once again.
Stupid plays are magnified in the Playoffs, and even more so in overtime. Make the Isles earn it at least.

Pens going out in first round completes the Pittsburgh grand slam. Pitt basketball, Steelers Pirates now Pens. Shame for Pittsburgh Sports fans that all these rooting interests are entering the "rebuild" phase at the same time.
Pretty amazing when Pitt Football seems to hold out the most hope for a winner!

I honestly thought the Pens would get past this round. However, I never once thought about Sorokin or Jarry. Silly me.

That and the way the Isles have taken the Pen's stars out of the game. Just by playing their "system". That and roughing the Pens up.

What do we watch now?? Back to Netflix, I guess.......
You need to do what I did this past year, started ‘snow-birding’ in Sarasota, or Tampa Bay country. World Series participant, Stanley Cup and Super Bowl Champs. The new City of Champions.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
This series is being won by the top line of the Islanders and their forechecking on our top line. Yes our goalie gave up 3 goals in 4+ periods but he played well enough to win. We can not score enough goals against the Isles and that is due to their goalie and top line forechecking.
You really think our goalie played well enough to win?

I guess maybe taken in a vacuum considering Jarry only. But overall, goal-tending is so far lopsided in this series. We’re just lucky Sorokin didn’t play 2 of the games.

We’re not getting goals from our top line and the Isles get a lot of credit for it, but it’s not like they’ve been completely void of scoring chances, even good scoring chances.

A little earlier in the game, Jarry left the net to play the puck and actually fell as he tried to get back to the net.

A goal there would have been even more embarrassing.

At least one Pens fan is optimistic. John Wehner just said on The Fan that if they play two more games like they did last night they'll win the series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT