ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

It's funny how the regular season fools you.
First the Steelers reel off a dozen wins, then fold in crunch time.
Then Pitt basketball gets on a roll, and then completely disintegrate.
Now the Pens win the division, and fold like a cheap kite in the first round again.

The islanders are younger, bigger, and tougher, and they have had good goaltending.
Pittsburgh getting out coached too.

Pens have had some bad luck too. Had Goalie beat, but a guy was backchecking Malkin behind the net, and he made the save. That puck was as good as in! Would have put Pens up 2.
It just ain't happening.

I don't know about the board, but I think in this series (not just tonight) Carter AND Malkin are out playing Sid by miles.

Sid has one back check to rest his laurels on.

Trade Sid. He brings the biggest return. Then jettison Sullivan and Jarry. Get rid of the reasons why we play as we do.

When the Pens had a stretch of going good on the power play, weren't they playing a triangle near the blue line with two down deep?

The focus of the attack was one of the side points, not the center point.

That was much different than what we normally do and confused the hell out of opponents. We got some real nice movement out of that.
I wish I could say yes or no. I live on the other side of the state so throughout the regular season I didn't get to see them much.

I don't know about the board, but I think in this series (not just tonight) Carter AND Malkin are out playing Sid by miles.

Sid has one back check to rest his laurels on.

Trade Sid. He brings the biggest return. Then jettison Sullivan and Jarry. Get rid of the reasons why we play as we do.
Full no movement clause. He'll play out the 4 years on his contract, and retire a Penguin.

Mr. Obvious here but the Pens have to keep their cool, stay out of the penalty box, and bust their behinds for a chance.

Mr. Obvious here but the Pens have to keep their cool, stay out of the penalty box, and bust their behinds for a chance.
Mr. Super Obvious here, but what they really need to do is score 3 goals!
Against this goaltender, that's like a Clydesdale winning the Kentucky Derby.

Reactions: CCHS82
They're starting to lose their cool and they have a reputation for caving in to non sense and taking dumb penalties. If that trend changes tonight I'll be pleased and surprised.

Reactions: CCHS82
Just can't beat Sorokin. It's as simple as that.
On the other end, Jarry is a screen door with no screen!

It's funny how the regular season fools you.
First the Steelers reel off a dozen wins, then fold in crunch time.
Then Pitt basketball gets on a roll, and then completely disintegrate.
Now the Pens win the division, and fold like a cheap kite in the first round again.

The islanders are younger, bigger, and tougher, and they have had good goaltending.
Pittsburgh getting out coached too.

Pens have had some bad luck too. Had Goalie beat, but a guy was backchecking Malkin behind the net, and he made the save. That puck was as good as in! Would have put Pens up 2.
It just ain't happening.
Interesting observations .

I started a new job this week (kicking myself on why I didn't wait until next week) so dinners at night and haven't had a chance to see the game tonight until now.

Yikes. Well............................. I just don't get why if Jarry is struggling that bad, why not Legace? How can it be worse? Maybe give juice to the team. Sully has slid into Bylsma like stubbornness. In lineups, line matchups and goaltending. I mean at this point...........ah.....not mad. Sad. It's over. But just like me changing jobs, times change, new chapters are written.

Hard to accept that this crew is out of gas.
Not sure how they proceed.
Their 3 most valuable chips all have no trade clauses in the contracts.
Guentzel seems to have lost something after his shoulder injury.
Carter is 36 years old, he won't be back.
Not much in the minor leagues, lots of traded draft picks.
Probably entering Hockey Nuclear Winter.
Tickets will be easy to get, maybe cheaper too!

Sully has his penalty killers out there down by 2 with 4 minutes remaining. He has got to go. Just absolutely no understanding of matchups and situations...."just play".

Carter has a year left, but probably has some value...BUT he has a modified no trade clause, I think.

I think if Sid scored on the pinger of the pipe, the Pens might have gotten lucky and pulled it out.

MIke Sullivan, go shake your daddies hand.

One team knows how to play with a lead. They got the lead once and never looked back. How many leads did the Pens squander? Shameful.

I started a new job this week (kicking myself on why I didn't wait until next week) so dinners at night and haven't had a chance to see the game tonight until now.

Yikes. Well............................. I just don't get why if Jarry is struggling that bad, why not Legace? How can it be worse? Maybe give juice to the team. Sully has slid into Bylsma like stubbornness. In lineups, line matchups and goaltending. I mean at this point...........ah.....not mad. Sad. It's over. But just like me changing jobs, times change, new chapters are written.
Sullivan is a total meathead! That jackass should have been fired after the Islander sweep 3 years ago. If you want regular season performance and a playoff appearance well by all means keep that stubborn jackass. He must go! Doesn't matter who the players are, he has presided over a bunch of playoff chokers. He needs to be held responsible! The window is closed anyway, so please start the rebuild with a new coach. I can't take anymore of his dumb ass saying "we have to play the right way".

Also, the DeSmith injury late in the season, whatever the hell it was, was a killer for Pittsburgh.
When Jarry fell apart, there was no place to turn.
Horrible luck.

Reactions: CCHS82 and Dan1911
Was listening to Madden’s show before this series started and he had Pierre Maguire on. He asked PM what was the Pens weakness and without hesitation, he said goaltending.

An average performance by TJ this series and we would probably be moving on. Oh yeah, a little better play by the top line may have helped too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT