ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

One team knows how to play with a lead. They got the lead once and never looked back. How many leads did the Pens squander? Shameful.
It is easy to play with the lead when you trust your goaltender. The Islanders were not even trying to score in the third period. They knew the Penguins were not going to score on Soroken. If the Pens got a lead Jarry let them tie it on the very next shot and they were not able to get a two goal lead.

Was listening to Madden’s show before this series started and he had Pierre Maguire on. He asked PM what was the Pens weakness and without hesitation, he said goaltending.

An average performance by TJ this series and we would probably be moving on. Oh yeah, a little better play by the top line may have helped too.
Of course it was goaltending. The former GM, a goaltender, didn't bring in a veteran backup to start the season, the current GM, a goaltender, didn't bring in a veteran at the deadline to help stabilize.

But still.....did you see enough from the stars and leaders of this team to think "wow, if we just got a goaltender, we are okay?" I didn't.

Islanders own the Penguins, LOL unreal.
Now 5-1 against the Pens in the playoffs, all remarkably frustrating series - even the one Pens series win was a way superior roster who needed a game 6 OT winner from Brooks freaking Orpik to eliminate them.

They’re basically like what NC State is to Pitt in the playoffs against the Pens.

Reactions: Dan1911
Of course it was goaltending. The former GM, a goaltender, didn't bring in a veteran backup to start the season, the current GM, a goaltender, didn't bring in a veteran at the deadline to help stabilize.

But still.....did you see enough from the stars and leaders of this team to think "wow, if we just got a goaltender, we are okay?" I didn't.
I agree. Hence, my last sentence. Written with you in mind!

Now 5-1 against the Pens in the playoffs, all remarkably frustrating series - even the one Pens series win was a way superior roster who needed a game 6 OT winner from Brooks freaking Orpik to eliminate them.

They’re basically like what NC State is to Pitt in the playoffs against the Pens.

Doesn't UNC own us as well, hell I can't remember right now

Who are the stars anymore? Sid is a playmaker at this stage of his career, not a big scorer.
Malkin was hurt coming in and missed a couple of games.
Letang actually played pretty solid this series.
Guentzel was a huge disappointment. He's usually playoff money in the bank. Think that shoulder injury really took a lot out of him.

The Penguins have 3 older guys who were stars, but they are fading. The supporting cast is very pedestrian, and the goaltending is putrid.

As frustrating the play of Sid and others was in this series if the pens had the flower they win this series in 5. Put Jarry on any other team and they don’t make it out of the first round.

Not so sure I agree, but you or I would have played as well as Jarry. I think we should give the other team credit , they whipped our ass every way possible most of the time

As frustrating the play of Sid and others was in this series if the pens had the flower they win this series in 5. Put Jarry on any other team and they don’t make it out of the first round.
Funny how that worked out.
Everyone said it was the right thing to do.
Murray was good for a couple of years, but then he went to pot. Won two cups, but who's to say Fleury wouldn't have done the same?
Jarry clearly isn't the answer, but
The Flower keeps rolling along!

I'm trying not to be that overreacting guy...but this series loss is 100% on Jarry. Yeah the top line was below average but there was enough there that with rock solid goaltending, that this should have been a series win.

Jarry absolutely should absolutely be traded or just flat out released. I'm sorry but he rightfully has the target on his back right now.

Who are the stars anymore? Sid is a playmaker at this stage of his career, not a big scorer.
Malkin was hurt coming in and missed a couple of games.
Letang actually played pretty solid this series.
Guentzel was a huge disappointment. He's usually playoff money in the bank. Think that shoulder injury really took a lot out of him.

The Penguins have 3 older guys who were stars, but they are fading. The supporting cast is very pedestrian, and the goaltending is putrid.
The Penguins had as much forward depth as any team in hockey.

Jarry is not a dependable goalie. DeSmith was the insurance but got hurt.

We have six NHL defensemen, but they are not nearly tough enough.

Sid dictates too much about the team.

Sully has exceeded his expiration date.

You have to protect your key players from physical abuse and injury.

Not at all. Our teams stars are no longer that. When a 36 year old Jeff Carter is your best playoff performer, you really don't have any stars. What you have are players living off their past successes.

In regard to the two stars. Many want rid of Malkin. I would keep Geno and get rid of Sid. I know management wouldn't do that. That said, Geno missed the first two games and had 5 pts. in the series. Sid had 3 pts in 6 games. I will take Geno's ability and size over Sid at this point. He will make some turnovers but he can still play physical and mix it up.

Maybe Sid needs new line mates with some size. Rust and Guentzel together just don't create any room for him. They can skate, but they are meek and get pushed around easily. Even so, I would keep Geno not Sid. I am not sure it matters anyway, as I said before, the window has been nailed shut!

In the playoffs, the best playoff teams just worry about the play in progress and make the smart play.

The Penguins never have and never will play that way.

Maybe a new coach and new players changes that. It will not if Crosby, Malkin and Letang remain on the team.

This lineup has many problems beyond goaltending. Maybe Jarry was banged up as well? He and DeSmith were the best players on the team in the second half of the year. I just don't get it to be honest. This team looked great at times. I knew they were toast the past 2 years. I was fooled this year though. This lineup is just too fragile, the system is stupid and Sully just hasn't ever been one to get the most out of anyone. There also isn't any development happening. Young players don't get better and the vets are some of the weakest links with stupid, costly mistakes.

When I think of the talent the Pens had 15 years ago and look at what they accomplished with it, I think this organization might just be a bunch of morons whose lucky streak is about to come to a crushing end.

I have news for everyone. The Penguins are right up against the salary cap so what they absolutely won’t be doing is adding cost at the goaltending position. Jarry and DeSmith only hit $4.75 million combined against the cap so they will be back in tandem. And while this playoff performance was bad by Jarry, the right move is to bring the same tandem back for the 1st half of next season and if a move needs to be made it can be made in January or Feb.

I have news for everyone. The Penguins are right up against the salary cap so what they absolutely won’t be doing is adding cost at the goaltending position. Jarry and DeSmith only hit $4.75 million combined against the cap so they will be back in tandem. And while this playoff performance was bad by Jarry, the right move is to bring the same tandem back for the 1st half of next season and if a move needs to be made it can be made in January or Feb.
Ok - Who is the #1 goalie?

#1 priority, even ahead of goaltending, needs to be to add some size and guys who are willing to finish their checks and play physical in the high danger areas. I’m not talking about a Hornqvist who will take the abuse, I’m talking about players who will dish out the abuse. The Pens got absolutely pounded every time they got rid of the puck, whereas a majority of the time, our guys would do a fly-by past the Isles player. That wears on you during the course of the series, and is even more important in the playoffs when the NHL Referees (and whoever it is that advises them) think it’s a good idea to put the whistles away and establish a completely different standard of play than has been present over the course of the past 82 (or 56 in this case) game season.

Sully’s last words?

We don’t discuss personnel decisions.

We win as a team, we lose as a team

I thought we played quite well.

This was my best group ever.

One team knows how to play with a lead. They got the lead once and never looked back. How many leads did the Pens squander? Shameful.
Yep, you nailed it. We lose a series in 6 games when we had multiple leads in everyone of those games except for one (no surprise we were down 4-0 in that one game).

So many of those blown leads were so frustrating because they came off of stupid/careless turnovers or other boneheaded decisions. First 2 Isles goals tonight were perfect examples.

Reactions: Dan1911 and gary2
#1 priority, even ahead of goaltending, needs to be to add some size and guys who are willing to finish their checks and play physical in the high danger areas. I’m not talking about a Hornqvist who will take the abuse, I’m talking about players who will dish out the abuse. The Pens got absolutely pounded every time they got rid of the puck, whereas a majority of the time, our guys would do a fly-by past the Isles player. That wears on you during the course of the series, and is even more important in the playoffs when the NHL Referees (and whoever it is that advises them) think it’s a good idea to put the whistles away and establish a completely different standard of play than has been present over the course of the past 82 (or 56 in this case) game season.
That's as overrated as wearing the defense out in football. Isles aren't a big team and hits were even last two games. They have a few big guys mainly on defense and a lot of quick guys on offense.

You know what the difference was? Their D plays defense, their skill players finish, and their goalie was very good.

Pens need an infusion of young, fast talent to mix with their vets, but they don't have any because JR traded everything away.

It looked to me that the Isles were a lot faster and wanted the win more than the Pens did. The Pens are a slow, plodding team and they have no goaltending. You won't win in the playoffs....ever....if you have no goaltending. And they can't shoot the puck. Now we have to hear all of the excuses from Sullivan in the off season.

You're supposed to have the best player in hockey on your team. Sorry, I didn't see that.

It looked to me that the Isles were a lot faster and wanted the win more than the Pens did. The Pens are a slow, plodding team and they have no goaltending. You won't win in the playoffs....ever....if you have no goaltending. And they can't shoot the puck. Now we have to hear all of the excuses from Sullivan in the off season.

You're supposed to have the best player in hockey on your team. Sorry, I didn't see that.
Connor McDavid is considered by the majority of hockey experts as the "best player in hockey."

His Edmonton Oilers were swept in the first round by the Winnipeg Jets. 🤷‍♂️

Sully’s last words?

We don’t discuss personnel decisions.

We win as a team, we lose as a team

I thought we played quite well.

This was my best group ever.

If he believes this , really believes this , then he might have to go with Jarry, and maybe the other big three, who been doing nothing the past 4 years to win!

Reactions: gary2
That's as overrated as wearing the defense out in football. Isles aren't a big team and hits were even last two games. They have a few big guys mainly on defense and a lot of quick guys on offense.

You know what the difference was? Their D plays defense, their skill players finish, and their goalie was very good.

Pens need an infusion of young, fast talent to mix with their vets, but they don't have any because JR traded everything away.
We are close to, if not THE, softest team in the NHL. I have a hard time believing hits were actually even. None of our defensemen can clear the opposition from front of the net/slot, or put any semblance of fear into opposing forwards taking the puck to the net. Our forwards are not hard on the forecheck whatsoever and make it way to easy on opposing defensemen who are retrieving the puck and breaking it out of the zone. Every time you see one of our guys get rid of the puck, they’re being put on their wallet after making a play. 9/10 times their guy gets rid of the puck, we do a fly-by instead of finishing the check. If we do decide to finish our check, most of the time it’s pretty weak. It’s like a horsefly on a horse.

But what do I know, I’ve only been playing competitive hockey since I was 4 years old.

We are close to, if not THE, softest team in the NHL. I have a hard time believing hits were actually even. None of our defensemen can clear the opposition from front of the net/slot, or put any semblance of fear into opposing forwards taking the puck to the net. Our forwards are not hard on the forecheck whatsoever and make it way to easy on opposing defensemen who are retrieving the puck and breaking it out of the zone. Every time you see one of our guys get rid of the puck, they’re being put on their wallet after making a play. 9/10 times their guy gets rid of the puck, we do a fly-by instead of finishing the check. If we do decide to finish our check, most of the time it’s pretty weak. It’s like a horsefly on a horse.

But what do I know, I’ve only been playing competitive hockey since I was 4 years old.
Not sure what you were watching, but the Pens had some devastating hits on the Islanders. Even Crosby and Malkin lined guys up.
The only guy knocked out of the series was Wahlstrom after a heavy hit by Matheson.

The Penguins spent a ton of time in their own end, they just didn't put the puck past the Islanders Goalie.

Gooning it up in the playoffs isn't a smart strategy, no team wants to play short handed.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Not to beat a dead horse but the decline goes back to giving up Marc Andre Fleury in the expansion draft. I think we could have had another cup or two since then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT