ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pirates Ke'Bryan Hayes a bust?

That’s as profound as any stat in the entirety of this thread. When you have a corner infielder not healthy enough to give any production like Hayes is right now, a SS who can’t make any contact at all and is abysmal in the field, and a 2B who is going to be out for a while…the Isiah Kiner-Falefa acquisition is going to be more significant than the Da La Cruz deal. I don’t know why it was such an afterthought for so many people. He should be playing every night moving forward. And often at 3B.

That’s as profound as any stat in the entirety of this thread. When you have a corner infielder not healthy enough to give any production like Hayes is right now, a SS who can’t make any contact at all and is abysmal in the field, and a 2B who is going to be out for a while…the Isiah Kiner-Falefa acquisition is going to be more significant than the Da La Cruz deal. I don’t know why it was such an afterthought for so many people. He should be playing every night moving forward. And often at 3B.
But he's injured too. Has to get healthy before he can play.

Thought in his interview yesterday he said he’s ready. Maybe I wasn’t listening close enough.
He wasn't activated, I believe because he has to fill out the length of time on the injured list thing.
He's close, but not quite there yet.

While cruz cost us the game last night. Hayes' soft dribblers to third with runners in scoring position twice didn't help.

Tubby Tellez double play in the eighth also didn't help either. Three hits in the inning down by 1 and couldnt score.

I’d honestly consider calling up York and running IKF at third. You literally can’t keep playing Hayes right now. He was 2-5 but one was an infield single and another was a classic dump into left.

I’d honestly consider calling up York and running IKF at third. You literally can’t keep playing Hayes right now. He was 2-5 but one was an infield single and another was a classic dump into left.
I’m all for IKF playing 3B. I have been posting about that since deadline day even though a couple guys here kept minimizing the thought because they kept saying he wasn’t healthy yet. With Gonzalez out, Hayes playing hurt, and Taylor in CF, that was an absolute brilliant deal that Cherington made.
But are you too young to remember Rafael Belliard? During his time with the Pirates they were the best or near the best team in baseball and somehow they still valued his presence as an everyday player. He probably had 10-15 extra base hits a year, 0 home runs, a lower BA than Hayes, but played good defense. That’s what we have with Hayes, which I guess is more acceptable because of the offensive production we get at the position next to him (Cruz). And of course we know Cruz is a liability defensively which makes Hayes’ glove all the more important. So being fixated on Hayes is an obsession that really is creating an angst that is unnecessary.

But now that they have IKF…he just gives the pirates a much better option.

It’s called health.

Imagine playing poker without the ability to focus the way you normally did in the past. It would throw off everything that makes you successful.

Hayes needs the offseason to get healthy and hopefully he can get that bat speed and swing going again. If he can’t, I guess he’s our Rafael Belliard until we find a way to dump him.

Reactions: PittPoker
But are you too young to remember Rafael Belliard? During his time with the Pirates they were the best or near the best team in baseball and somehow they still valued his presence as an everyday player.

And then he went to Atlanta when they were the best team in baseball and played a lot for them over the next few years.

It's almost as if baseball teams value different things than some fans do.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
And then he went to Atlanta when they were the best team in baseball and played a lot for them over the next few years.

It's almost as if baseball teams value different things than some fans do.
Totally different era. A guy like rafael belliard would have no place in todays game

Totally different era. A guy like rafael belliard would have no place in todays game

He wouldn't last as long, but he'd probably get a chance. I mean the Pirates have had Alika Williams on their roster for stretches of last season and this one, and he hits about as bad, maybe worse, than Belliard and he's not nearly as good a fielder.

He wouldn't last as long, but he'd probably get a chance. I mean the Pirates have had Alika Williams on their roster for stretches of last season and this one, and he hits about as bad, maybe worse, than Belliard and he's not nearly as good a fielder.
No he wouldn't and your boy Hayes is a bust. He stinks.

Rafi primarily played short can tolerate poor hitting from there, not third. The game has changed so much, every team even the really good ones seem to have some one around .200, the Pirates unfortunately have like 4. Don't know how healthy Hayes is, in perfect world If NG was healthy could have IKF play third everyday, and sit Hayes down, but with Shelton IKF would be fighting for time with Triolo. De le Cruz is very similar to OC. Walks very little, strikes out about every third at bat and bats around .250 he is just a little older. Hopefully has a little better baseball acumen than Cruz. His big upside, better power and defense than everyone in the outfield not named Reynolds.

De le Cruz is very similar to OC. Walks very little, strikes out about every third at bat and bats around .250 he is just a little older. Hopefully has a little better baseball acumen than Cruz. His big upside, better power and defense than everyone in the outfield not named Reynolds.

Cruz is already a better hitter than De La Cruz. And De La Cruz's defense is actually god-awful. His dWAR for his career so far is -2.6 (Baseball Reference). He not only is not better defensively than anyone in the outfield not named Reynolds, he is almost certainly the worst defender they will play in the outfield all season, with the possible exception of that one game they put Andrew McCutchen out in right.

De La Cruz is a classic one tool player. He can hit for power. That's about it. That happens to be one skill that the Pirates are sorely lacking, so he's worth taking a shot on. But people who think that he's going to be a really good player for the Pirates are likely to end up really disappointed.

Cruz is already a better hitter than De La Cruz. And De La Cruz's defense is actually god-awful. His dWAR for his career so far is -2.6 (Baseball Reference). He not only is not better defensively than anyone in the outfield not named Reynolds, he is almost certainly the worst defender they will play in the outfield all season, with the possible exception of that one game they put Andrew McCutchen out in right.

De La Cruz is a classic one tool player. He can hit for power. That's about it. That happens to be one skill that the Pirates are sorely lacking, so he's worth taking a shot on. But people who think that he's going to be a really good player for the Pirates are likely to end up really disappointed.
Sounds like a DH

Ke'Bryan Hayes has a .583 OPS which is the absolute WORST in all of major league baseball from players that can qualify for the batting title. The next lowest OPS is 40 points higher than Hayes' .583 number.

But yeah nope, he's not a bust, his glove alone makes the contract great HAHAHAHA!!!

He stinks, total bust and the contract was terrible.

IKF seems worlds above every other infielder we have in terms of baseball IQ, batting, and shear effort. I hope it start rubbing off on the other players

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT