ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pirates Ke'Bryan Hayes a bust?

Shelty said today that his back is still an issue and frankly will be like this the rest of the season. It’s not going to get better. He talked about how the team is managing him and (my words) it’s essentially the same way they are managing Cutch who’s an aging player at this point.

Shelty said today that his back is still an issue and frankly will be like this the rest of the season. It’s not going to get better. He talked about how the team is managing him and (my words) it’s essentially the same way they are managing Cutch who’s an aging player at this point.

Except on the very first page of this thread we used actual numbers to show that, over the last three years, Hayes has generally been better than league average at bat.

He is by no sane definition, a bust.
I’m not exactly sure how you come to that conclusion? OPS+ of 88, 105, and 71. That is pretty far below average overall. Career OPS + of 95 heavily skewed by a fluke 95 plate appearances to start his career. He does have a positive owar but I think that is more a testament on a metric that is broken.

Out of 144 qualified players, Hayes is 143rd in OPS. He is dead last in slugging. He’s 123rd in obp.

Defending his offense is frankly, impossible.

I’m not exactly sure how you come to that conclusion? OPS+ of 88, 105, and 71. That is pretty far below average overall. Career OPS + of 95 heavily skewed by a fluke 95 plate appearances to start his career. He does have a positive owar but I think that is more a testament on a metric that is broken.

Out of 144 qualified players, Hayes is 143rd in OPS. He is dead last in slugging. He’s 123rd in obp.

Defending his offense is frankly, impossible.
He needs shut down for the year. I can’t see a guy with a back injury fixing his swing. He’s a negative player for the team right now regardless of how great he is in the field. The organization needs to end it now.

4 plate appearances per game, some of which are high leverage situations, far outweigh however many better than routine plays he makes in the field PER WEEK that a lesser defender would not make.

I’ve seen enough from him to be confident that when healthy, he’s a damn good player. We’ve all seen it. Even volatile off the rail people should be able to acknowledge it. I was a hater a couple years ago. I hated the free pass he was getting from apologists. But then I saw what he could do and my opinion changed. But if his back remains chronic, he will never again be a plus player for the organization.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Cut Ke'Bryan from my NL-only team this past week. Ran out of patience. So, he'll probably go nuts the rest of the way.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The hit was huge, but it was still a looper off the end of the bat. Don’t get me wrong, they all look the same in the scorebook but he’s really killing us.
No doubt.

It would have taken all of about 20 seconds to find out that that is not only not true, it's not even close to being true. Hayes has grounded in to 10 double plays. Which, don't get me wrong, is pretty high. But Manny Machado leads the league with 19 of them. And he's pretty good. Tied for second on the list is Aaron Judge, and he's pretty good too.

It's almost as if grounding into a lot of double plays isn't an indicator of how good a hitter is.

If you want numbers to back up that Hayes is having a crappy season at the plate, there are plenty of actual numbers that show that. No need to make stuff up.

It would have taken all of about 20 seconds to find out that that is not only not true, it's not even close to being true. Hayes has grounded in to 10 double plays. Which, don't get me wrong, is pretty high. But Manny Machado leads the league with 19 of them. And he's pretty good. Tied for second on the list is Aaron Judge, and he's pretty good too.

It's almost as if grounding into a lot of double plays isn't an indicator of how good a hitter is.

If you want numbers to back up that Hayes is having a crappy season at the plate, there are plenty of actual numbers that show that. No need to make stuff up.
Look I know you must be taking your wonder boy sucking all season hard, but if you read the tweet it was an opinion from a twitter account which tweets primarily about the Pirates.

Never did it mention it being a fact, it does however seem like Hayes has hit into lots of double plays this season so I'd have guessed the same thing. He stinks.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The hit was huge, but it was still a looper off the end of the bat. Don’t get me wrong, they all look the same in the scorebook but he’s really killing us.
Ehhh. I figured someone would say this. Hayes has also hit the ball hard plenty of times with men in scoring position and the play resulted in an out.

I also figured someone would gloat about Hayes’ hit yesterday. But he also went 1-5 so it wasn’t exactly a banner day at the office for him.

Bottom line is his stats are his stats and they aren’t pretty.

One quick look at stats around baseball will conclude that hitting in todays MLB is really really hard. Now imagine doing it with a bad back.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
He's really difficult to watch out there. Just not a good hitter at all. And those contracts, while not large in the grand scheme of things, can tend to cripple the Pirates because there's a good chance they'll stick it out with him way longer than they should.

Ehhh. I figured someone would say this. Hayes has also hit the ball hard plenty of times with men in scoring position and the play resulted in an out.

I also figured someone would gloat about Hayes’ hit yesterday. But he also went 1-5 so it wasn’t exactly a banner day at the office for him.

One quick look at stats around baseball will conclude that hitting in todays MLB is really really hard. Now imagine doing it with a bad back.
It was posted earlier, and is on baseball savant, but his barrel percentage and exit velo have fallen off a cliff this year.

He used to get somewhat unlucky based off that, but some of it again was that he almost exclusively hits the ball to the right side, and in the air it’s almost always to the right side. I haven’t checked but that bloop hit yesterday might have been one of only three or four hits in the air to LF this year. That makes him very easy to defend.

This year though, you add in the low exit velo and the results are predictable.

That is what is so dissapointing…last year he started hitting the ball hard in the air to LF. That has completely stopped. He hits like he did in the second half last year he is a five WAR player

I didn’t think I was gloating. I just like recognizing something positive.

Reactions: Parkview57
Look I know you must be taking your wonder boy sucking all season hard, but if you read the tweet it was an opinion from a twitter account which tweets primarily about the Pirates.

Never did it mention it being a fact, it does however seem like Hayes has hit into lots of double plays this season so I'd have guessed the same thing. He stinks.

So you'd rather pay attention to someone's obviously incorrect opinion than just stick to actual, easy to find facts?

Explains a lot, actually.

He had two good walks late in the game and turned a great double play. Another at bat he hit the ball solid but was a line drive to left center. He made up for the error earlier in the game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT