ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pirates

I'm excited because top deck, third base side, on a sunny day with a good beer in hand is a heavenly experience.

Otherwise yeah, who cares.

Reactions: Ski11585
Great stadium one of the best in the country
Great baseball fans when all of them show up or atleast a lot of them
Great town with lots to do when the game is over
Pirate pitching looks really good
Pirate hitting in Fl also was impressive
With a break here or there as the season unfolds who knows where the Buco's end up

It's baseball season, a great sport, during the best time of the year April - October.

Plus I like Burnie1105's way of approaching the baseball season except for the top deck stuff.
1st or 3rd baselines middle to bottom of the lower deck in the sun with aisle seat 1 -Buffett & seat 2 - Mrs Buffett with 2 cold Yuenglings.

Reactions: RoguePanther
If this was 1999 I would have been excited. That's the last time I can say I was a diehard MLB fan. This year, I doubt I will watch a single pitch. Sad really because I was a bigger baseball fan than any other sport as a youngster.

Already leaving balls out over the plate, swinging at bad pitches and making errors. Between Pirates and Pitt, I'm running out of time. I mean literally, like living long enough.

I've gone to more wild things games than I have Pirate games in the last 10 years. I'm ok with driving an extra half hour and getting a better game day experience for myself and my nephews who I normally take.

I refuse to spend a dime on the Pirates. I only go when it's a required work event with a vendor or interns and I leave early. I'd prefer if they left town and Pitt football took over their stadium.

I don't know how anybody can have a positice experience in the stadium. I get mad as soon as I walk through the gates. All I can think about is how 1 man's love for $ has ruined a sport for me. I hate even driving past the stadium.

If you're excited for the start of the season, why?

Seriously.....why?
When The National Pastome returns it is always an exciting day.

As for the The Pirates I’ve given up on the POS owner, but not them

It is what it is, something like The Babe said

Baseball the GREATEST game in the world.

Reactions: JoseLind13
Cause I like baseball.

I’m confident I’ll see a Pirates World Series before I die, I’m not nearly as confident I’ll see pitt football in a NC game. Yet I still get excited about college football season too b
You must be in your early 20’s and plan on living to be 100+. Nutting is going to pass it onto his daughters. No chance as long as they are running the team.

You must be in your early 20’s and plan on living to be 100+. Nutting is going to pass it onto his daughters. No chance as long as they are running the team.

Hate to say it but I’m done with the Pirates.
They were my favorite team - even over Pitt.
Clemente, Stargell, Maz. Pirate Fantasy Camp was great.
Dropped our company tickets and haven’t resigned.
They offered us a complimentary 19 person box if we renew our tickets.
No thanks.
IMO Team has no connection to the community.

Sales contest.
First Prize - two field box tickets and a parking pass to a pirate game.
Second Prize - 4 field box tickets.

Hate to say it but I’m done with the Pirates.
They were my favorite team - even over Pitt.
Clemente, Stargell, Maz. Pirate Fantasy Camp was great.
Dropped our company tickets and haven’t resigned.
They offered us a complimentary 19 person box if we renew our tickets.
No thanks.
IMO Team has no connection to the community.

Sales contest.
First Prize - two field box tickets and a parking pass to a pirate game.
Second Prize - 4 field box tickets.

You're going to miss the McCutchen jersey and Bobblehead giveaway day?

Nutting has to clear out some warehouse space.

Last edited:
A lot of fair weather fans, if you don't like the product, then don't go to pirate games, don't watch pirate games, and don't talk about pirate games. I will go, watch and talk pirates.

To be honest, this thread went exactly how I expected.

1. I don't really understand why people enjoy just sitting at a baseball game, as a thing to do. Not so much for the game as it is just a really expensive place to hang out.
2. The "cultural" aspect of baseball always mystified me. I can't ever recall baseball as some kind of "thing" I had to be a part of as a kid and then they made some sappy movies and it was suddenly a thing.
3. The number of fan boys who cling to the Pirates is embarrassing. We literally laugh at other cities for behaving that way with their crummy NFL teams. Especially for a club that had one decade of consistently good baseball in the entire modern era.
4. Baseball starts in March and ends in November now. You can't play in the rain but snow flurries are cool?

Just observations. You do you.

To be honest, this thread went exactly how I expected.

1. I don't really understand why people enjoy just sitting at a baseball game, as a thing to do. Not so much for the game as it is just a really expensive place to hang out.
2. The "cultural" aspect of baseball always mystified me. I can't ever recall baseball as some kind of "thing" I had to be a part of as a kid and then they made some sappy movies and it was suddenly a thing.
3. The number of fan boys who cling to the Pirates is embarrassing. We literally laugh at other cities for behaving that way with their crummy NFL teams. Especially for a club that had one decade of consistently good baseball in the entire modern era.

Just observations. You do you.
you don't like baseball, we get it, a lot of people do. why that upsets you to the point where you start a thread to look for justification is beyond me.. There are a million things people do that I don't understand. sports, events, lifestyles, literally a million things people do or participate in that I have no clue why they'd to this. but guess what, I don't feel the need to point it out to them..

Pirates having fans is embarrassing? Why? Don't pitt fans wish that there were more "clingy" fans that rooted for their team despite the fact that there is zero chance of winning a championship? Pitt football will never win a NC, it will not happen, don't we want more fans despite this?

different people like different things, it's a large planet. Worry more about you and less about others, you'll live a happier life..

Last edited:
you don't like baseball, we get it, a lot of people do. why that upsets you to the point where you start a thread to look for justification is beyond me.. There are a million things people do that I don't understand. sports, events, lifestyles, literally a million things people do or participate in that I have no clue why they'd to this. but guess what, I don't feel the need to point it out to them..

different people like different things, it's a large planet. Worry more about you and less about others, you'll live a happier life..

Thank you for the advice but it doesn't upset me at all. More of an ongoing fascination that I'm trying to understand. The parallels between the Pirates and Pitt football are too close to ignore and yet for some reason, people happily empty their pockets for one and completely ignore the other. For instance, people go to a Pirates game to just, hang out (??) but will actively make excuses to avoid Pitt games. I know that it's not a direct 1:1 comparison. Just go back and read what some of the people who "love" baseball write and ask yourself why Pitt struggles in the same context.

Reactions: Springfield Panther
He's Pittdan77 fake troll!
He said he went to one of the service academies to play football he didn't!
He said he played D1 college football in previous posts he didn't.
He's not a PITT fan.
He has nothing to do but post on the free board.
He doesn't have a good job.
He's another of the "fake" PITT fans who buys no tickets and makes no contributions.
He doesn't go to any PITT sporting events.
He's a fake troll!
I just don't get why people are so mad at other people for being pirate fans? Listen, we are all frustrated at ownership, I get it.. Many people have decided to not go anymore, not invest in it, OK great, that is your choice, it's your money.. But a lot of people post on here, saying "how dare you be a pirate fan" and then also mocking baseball.

Hey, some people like the slow pace of baseball, some don't. some people think soccer is exciting, some would rather kill themselves than watch it, I mean, its all opinion. we don't all have to like the same thing. some people like country music, some dont. some people want to have a threesome with Jamie Lee Curtis and Susan Sarandon, some dont. Why people get upset about others liking or disliking a sport is very weird to me..

This dude started a post to bash baseball and called it embarrassing that there are pirate fans. What an A-hole opinion is that?

This dude started a post to bash baseball and called it embarrassing that there are pirate fans. What an A-hole opinion is that?

Being a fan isn't embarrassing. There are plenty of Steelers fans that are critical of the club that post here regularly and quickly identify problems or talk the team down. You post anything remotely negative about the Pirates and/or baseball and someone will attack you. Why?

Being a fan isn't embarrassing. There are plenty of Steelers fans that are critical of the club that post here regularly and quickly identify problems or talk the team down. You post anything remotely negative about the Pirates and/or baseball and someone will attack you. Why?
oh please, every post about the pirates for the last 25 years has been criticism, mostly deserved.. Every morning on talk shows, hosts and callers blast the pirates. The fan yesterday had a segment asking fans "are you excited about the season?" and of course it was a bash fest..

98% of talk about pirates in this city is negative criticism, again, a lot of it deserved.. the owner cant even show his face at "pirate fest" due to safety concerns.. The next optimistic post I see about the pirates will be the first..

you don't like baseball so you start posts about it, why? YOu know how many things I don't like? How about women in the work office cooking meals at 11am in the work kitchen? Not heating up leftovers but actually cooking a meal, at work. You know how much that pisses me off? how about people actually spend hours with a laptop at a coffee shop? People actually spend an off day, a weekend, and grab a laptop and drive to a coffee shop just to sit there for hours on end, that's something they choose to do. You know how weird that is? But I don't start threads about it cause that's their choice. doesn't ruin my life, I spend my weekends outside, sure as hell am not carrying a laptop around with me..

There is a new trend with denim panties, denim panties. this is getting big in the fashion world. I love panties, you know how much this upsets me? A lot, but im not starting a thread about it..

Last edited:
Reactions: Springfield Panther
The next optimistic post I see about the pirates will be the first..

This one?

Great stadium one of the best in the country
Great baseball fans when all of them show up or atleast a lot of them
Great town with lots to do when the game is over
Pirate pitching looks really good
Pirate hitting in Fl also was impressive
With a break here or there as the season unfolds who knows where the Buco's end up

Some of you just like to jump on the band wagon. Like I said. I am a pirate fan. I will go to games, I will watch them on tv, I will support them. It's like voting, if you don't vote, you have nothing to complain about!!!!!

Reactions: vietvet1
I pretty much quit watching after 1992, baseball sucks. Who cares? Except for the Pirates playoff games between 2013-2015, I haven't watched a baseball game on TV since Game 7 vs. the Braves in '92. I do go to a game sometimes, went to one last year, just to hang out and drink beer. But always sit far away from the batter since I can't pay attention and don't want to get hit by a foul ball.

Pitt won a National Championship in that. believe it or not, there's a pro league too.
I Actuelly watched pitt play unc last year on espn in their post season tournament. As far as entertaining, It was..... hmmm, how do I word this? I’ll say that it looks like a fun sport to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT