ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers chances of signing JuJu and/or James

With the way the Steelers draft and find WR's, why would you re-up JuJu when the money is tight? Unless you are an elite gamebreaker (like it looks like Claypool maybe) you can always find WR's.

Conner, someone is going to pay him more than the Steelers will I am afraid.

Dupree. They made the gamble, edge pass rushers get paid $$$$ and he's gone.

both are up for FA and im having a hard time imagining they sign both but possibly signing one. we are pitt fans, we love James so im guessing most of us will say James. but objectively speaking, do you offer him a 3 or 4 year contract? I mean, he is injury prone and i HATE offering a 4 year deal for a RB because it is such a tough position to play consistently in the NFL..

Now for JuJu, i mean i think it's fair to say he's not a #1 WR in this league. So you offer him a respectable salary for the going rate of what an above avg #2 wr makes. Problem is, for the steelers, the guy is young and has shown he can do it and you dont need all the Owners/GMs to believe you are a #1 WR, you only need one GM. and as we know, there is always one or two foolish GMs that will over pay for a 23 year old WR who has proven he can play..

What do you guys think, any chances we sign either? Throw in the fact that Ben has about 40 million of cap money tied up and we arent exactly flush with cap space..

OTHER UFAs in '21;

Bud Dupree
Villanueva
Hilton
FEiler

and a few others that no one cares about...
The emergence of Claypool and expected signing Dupree makes it unlikely Juju returns IMO. I can see signing Conner to a sensible 3 or 4 year deal. I think Villanueva will be done and the Steelers will draft a LT #1 in April.

The emergence of Claypool and expected signing Dupree makes it unlikely Juju returns IMO. I can see signing Conner to a sensible 3 or 4 year deal. I think Villanueva will be done and the Steelers will draft a LT #1 in April.
Expected signing of Dupree??? Man I hope but I can’t imagine how that is even possible. We still have watts up after next year.

Reactions: PharMorNightStocker
Expected signing of Dupree??? Man I hope but I can’t imagine how that is even possible. We still have watts up after next year.
I think they find a way and letting Juju and Villenueva go would facilitate that. It is very hard to find edge rushers and those are key to this defense. I'm sure they are looking at ways to keep both.

Pouncey is a big cap hit and isn’t worth what he is making.

Yeah, cutting Pouncey would save us $8M against the cap next year. You would think that is a possibility. Otherwise, you have to look at Tuitt, Heyward, Haden, Nelson, and Ebron. You just can't keep them all, I don't think. Value-wise, I would think Pouncey seems like the obvious choice.

I guess they'll try their best to restructure and push a good bit of money back to the non-Ben years.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Yeah, the signing of Dupree is anything but expected. It's damn near impossible, in fact. Maybe they'll get creative and figure out a way to allocate a bunch of his guaranteed money to the later years of his contract (well, at least any year after 2021). I'm not sure what the limitations are with that. But Ben coming off the books in 2022 certainly frees up some space. If he indeed comes off the books. I imagine that won't happen without some drama.

You'd probably also have to commit to a young QB, as opposed to finding a free agent QB worth his weight in salt, if you went that route.

Last edited:
Yeah, the signing of Dupree is anything but expected. It's damn near impossible, in fact. Maybe they'll get creative and figure out a way to allocate a bunch of his guaranteed money to the later years of his contract (well, at least any year after 2021). I'm not sure what the limitations are with that. But Ben coming off the books in 2022 certainly frees up some space. If he indeed comes off the books. I imagine that won't happen without some drama.

You'd probably also have to commit to a young QB, as opposed to finding a free agent QB worth his weight in salt, if you went that route.
imagine signing dupree and watt? You are going to be above 22m for Watt, 15m now for Dupree so he's going to want to be in that range. yikes..

imagine signing dupree and watt? You are going to be above 22m for Watt, 15m now for Dupree so he's going to want to be in that range. yikes..

Seemed like the Seahawks, Eagles, and Rams were using a pretty decent formula of investing heavily into their defenses while their QB was still on a rookie contract. But then you have to pay the QB, and that all goes away, ha.

Pouncey is a big cap hit and isn’t worth what he is making.

People seem to have said this every year of my entire life and there been one or two truly bad teams in basically all of my life past age 5. 6 and 7 win teams at that. Every other team has had multiple 2 win or less seasons since then. I think the Steelers will be fine. This team is stacked with YOUNG talent for once and they stopped the loyalty contracts. If Ben goes one or two more which seems possible they can do something to find a QB. Yes I know that is way easier said than done. They will chug along. Now is a weird time to say it though. I don't recall a Steelers tean with this much young talent all over the place.

People seem to have said this every year of my entire life and there been one or two truly bad teams in basically all of my life past age 5. 6 and 7 win teams at that. Every other team has had multiple 2 win or less seasons since then. I think the Steelers will be fine. This team is stacked with YOUNG talent for once and they stopped the loyalty contracts. If Ben goes one or two more which seems possible they can do something to find a QB. Yes I know that is way easier said than done. They will chug along. Now is a weird time to say it though. I don't recall a Steelers tean with this much young talent all over the place.
And what does that have to do with Pouncey Nitwit?

Ben has said many times Pouncey is the only center he wants to play with. The Steelers did cut Ben's boyfriend Switzer this year so I guess the could cut Pouncey too. Pouncey is no longer elite and only elite centers deserve that kind of man.

And what does that have to do with Pouncey Nitwit?

Nada... Rivals has been extra off with the quote function on the phone since the updates. I had quoted the post talking about how the Steelers had a small window for continued success. Pouncey has been barely above average even when he does play.

Sorry I quoted you but on mobile it has become a real pain in the ass recently. Half the time on certain formats it is only even posting half of the messages that were written.

Steelers better win the SB this year, the window is quickly closing

This was the intended quote to message. People have been saying this for years. They remained competitive last year with a professional duck caller at QB.

It is said every few years. Yes, replacing Ben will eventually be a huge task given what he has meant but they are more loaded with young talent than at almost any time I can recall in the past 12 years. Ben looks very good at the moment and the Steelers biggest problem is that they can't even ever suck bad enough to get a pick high enough to get anything to a sure thing at QB. Though drafts through the years have proven that even that means nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT