ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "The Accountant" and "Jack Reacher".....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
With the bye week, terrible weather and my son home for the weekend, it was a perfect time for the movies.

Jack Reacher - We were/are big fans of the first movie, so consequently were excited to see the second installment. In a nutshell - big disappointment. Bad acting, really bad dialogue and rife with caricatures. They took what worked in the first movie and kept repeating it over and over and over. Grade: D

The Accountant - Now this was a very unexpected pleasure. Really good movie. Good storyline, lots of action and some laugh out loud moments too. Based on the reviews my expectations were low, but this is some good entertainment. Go see it. Grade: A-

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
On the Mount Rushmore of horrible actors, Tom Cruise, Ben Affleck and Keanu Reeves are three of the four faces...right? Does Uma Thurman slide in as #4?

Reactions: quip
I will probably watch the accountant when it comes to video. Tom Cruise blows. I'd watch Reacher otherwise.

I did find Argo to be entertaining and thought Affleck was good. But he gets ZERO acting credit for Good Will Hunting. He played himself, a Southie douchebag. Not a stretch of his limited acting chops.

Well. He was also good in gone girl, boiler room, and Dazed and confused.

I also liked man about town, bounce, and found him funny in extract.

I think he's a decent actor that's had some awful roles and movies and he probably gets more shit than he deserves.

I thought Jack Reacher was a steaming pile of you know what and the sequel looks even worse. I'd rather watch a continuous loop of the scene where Jean Claude Van Damm fights Iceburgh in Sudden Death.

That might just be the funniest thing I've ever read on Pantherlair. lol

Tom Kruse was amazing in the hoveraround commercial. Award worthy.
tumblr_mez6d7giUV1qiplke.jpg

"pitt-girl, post: 1630778, member: 1616"]

Jack Reacher - We were/are big fans of the first movie, so consequently were excited to see the second installment. In a nutshell - big disappointment. Bad acting, really bad dialogue and rife with caricatures. They took what worked in the first movie and kept repeating it over and over and over. Grade: D
Too bad usually Cruise Movie Squeals are rip offs, and won't go to that one now based on your review.

The Accountant - Now this was a very unexpected pleasure. Really good movie. Good storyline, lots of action and some laugh out loud moments too. Based on the reviews my expectations were low, but this is some good entertainment. Go see it. Grade: A-
This was an unexpected surprise, very good and kept interests from start to finish with a number of unexpected twists. Agree and see a Good Squeal from it!

I thought Jack Reacher was a steaming pile of you know what and the sequel looks even worse. I'd rather watch a continuous loop of the scene where Jean Claude Van Damm fights Iceburgh in Sudden Death.

Chicken bone through the neck will get him every time.

I have a tough time with Cruise in any role after watching " Going Clear".....

I have a tough time with Cruise in any role after watching " Going Clear".....

GMS=GREAT MOVIE = 8-10
OKM=OK MOVIE = 6-7
HIW=HATED IT WALK-OUT = -1
NSI=NEVER SAW IT = 0

GMS=GREAT MOVIE = 8-10
GMS Valkyrie (2008) 10
GMS The Last Samurai (2003) 9
GMS Eyes Wide Shut (1999) 10
GMS Jerry Maguire (1996) 10
GMS Rain Man (1988) 10
GMS Top Gun (1986) 8
GMS A Few Good Men (1992) 10
GMS Far and Away (1992) 10
GMS All the Right Moves (1983) 10
GMS Taps (1981) 8

OKM=OK MOVIE = 6-7
OKM Jack Reacher (2012) 7
OKM War of the Worlds (2005) 6
OKM Collateral (2004) 7
OKM Lions for Lambs (2007) 7
OKM Minority Report (2002) 7
OKM The Firm (1993) 6
OKM Days of Thunder (1990) 6
OKM Born on the Fourth of July (1989) 6
OKM Cocktail (1988) 7.9
OKM The Color of Money (1986) 7.5
OKM Risky Business (1983) 6.7
OKM Losin’ It (1983) 6

HIW=HATED IT WALK-OUT = -1
HIWO Vanilla Sky (2002) -9
HATED IT WALKED OUT Mission: Impossible (1996) -100

NYO=NOT YET OUT = ?
NYO American Made (2017)
NYO The Mummy (2017) WON'T SEE IT -15

NSI=NEVER SAW IT = 0
NSI Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)
NSI Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation (2015)
NSI Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
NSI Oblivion (2013)
NSI Rock of Ages (2012)
NSI Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011)
NSI Knight and Day (2010)
NSI Tropic Thunder (2008)
NSI Mission: Impossible 3 (2006)
NSI Mission: Impossible 2 (2001)
NSI Magnolia (1999)
NSI Interview with the Vampire (1994)
NSI Legend (1985)
NSI The Outsiders (1983)
NSI Endless Love (1981

The reacher series of books is terrific. Tom Cruise simply doesn't fit the bill on the big screen as Jack Reacher
Might have something to do with the fact that Jack Reacher is supposed to be like 6'6' , 260 and Tom Cruise is like 5'1' 145.

I found the Accountant surprisingly entertaining.

As for putting Cruise and Affleck on the Mt. Rushmore of bad actors: for real? You all must have some absurdly high standards. I'm not saying either one is Lawrence Olivier, but they're not even in the discussion of worst actors.

Reactions: pitt-girl
So this begs the question... who ARE today's Mt Rushmore of great actors?
DiCaprio, Pitt, Bale, Day-Lewis -- if they expand the Mount in a few years, Tom Hardy

I found the Accountant surprisingly entertaining.

As for putting Cruise and Affleck on the Mt. Rushmore of bad actors: for real? You all must have some absurdly high standards. I'm not saying either one is Lawrence Olivier, but they're not even in the discussion of worst actors.
Ski - maybe it was just me having an off day or the man behind me who kept kicking my seat (grrrrrrr, honestly I hate people), but I did NOT see that coming at the end. I pride myself on usually being a step ahead - not this time. You?

You can be a great actor but have crappy roles.

For instance Denzel Washington is in a class by himself but continues to make mediocre to crappy movies that have basically the same plot.

I also think some of the best acting done now is in the TV medium (Bryan Cranston , the guy that played the bastard of Bolton in game of thrones . )

Tough question

So this begs the question... who ARE today's Mt Rushmore of great actors?
DiCaprio, Pitt, Bale, Day-Lewis -- if they expand the Mount in a few years, Tom Hardy

Great question. I think Tom Hanks would make the first cut. Denzel and DiCaprio too. Hugh Jackman and that old graybeard Sean Connery.

Tom Hardy is an interesting thought. He would definitely be on the Mt Rushmore of actors juiced out of their minds, but he has certainly shown a pretty wide spectrum of acting abilities.

Might have something to do with the fact that Jack Reacher is supposed to be like 6'6' , 260 and Tom Cruise is like 5'1' 145.

Well if you read my post you would learn that I have read every book by Lee Child......

So it would stand to reason that I obviously know that reacher is a giant....thus the reason Tom Cruise makes little sense.

To me......take john hamm....grow his hair and add a beard and 15 pounds.....and you have a legit Jack Reacher

Well if you read my post you would learn that I have read every book by Lee Child......

So it would stand to reason that I obviously know that reacher is a giant....thus the reason Tom Cruise makes little sense.

To me......take john hamm....grow his hair and add a beard and 15 pounds.....and you have a legit Jack Reacher
Hmmmm.....maybe......I'm thinking more Clive Owen, Liev Schreiber or even Eric Bana.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT