ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the Futbol problem

If an Italian is saying this…you know it’s a problem.

What I never understood about time wasting was why doesn't the 4th official just have his own 45 minute stopwatch and then stop it every single time there is an "injury" or when a player takes a minute to walk off the field for a sub in the 91st minute. Just stop their phantom clock and then add back second for second

Reactions: mike412 and jctrack
What I never understood about time wasting was why doesn't the 4th official just have his own 45 minute stopwatch and then stop it every single time there is an "injury" or when a player takes a minute to walk off the field for a sub in the 91st minute. Just stop their phantom clock and then add back second for second

If they really wanted to end time wasting all they would have to do is to do what they do in college soccer. If there is an injury the ref stops the clock. If the ref thinks that someone is wasting time, they stop the clock. If the team that is ahead late in the game makes a substitution they stop the clock. Then, when the clock gets to zero the game (or the half) is over.

It is obvious that most of the world has no interest in a system like that.

If they really wanted to end time wasting all they would have to do is to do what they do in college soccer. If there is an injury the ref stops the clock. If the ref thinks that someone is wasting time, they stop the clock. If the team that is ahead late in the game makes a substitution they stop the clock. Then, when the clock gets to zero the game (or the half) is over.

This! Why on earth in 20-freaking-21 can’t the referee stop the stadium clock in any country outside the United States.

Why can’t the world of soccer stand up to the freakin Italians and all other drama queens and tell them enough. Just ask Belgium about Italian diving, acting, time wasting. FIFA could easily say, it is now considered unsportsmanlike and will warrant a yellow card. They already do it for players diving in the box in an attempt to trick the referee into calling a PK.

• Love
Reactions: jham65 and Fk_Pitt
This! Why on earth in 20-freaking-21 can’t the referee stop the stadium clock in any country outside the United States.

Well of course they could. But in most of the world all that stuff is considered to be just part of the game. They don't want the gamesmanship taken out.

In most of the rest of the world the fact that the game is not over until the bureaucrat (aka the referee) tells them that it is over fits in nicely with the way the bureaucrats control much of the rest of their lives.

Yea but they like the tradition of the running clock. That's fine. Keep that but then have a phantom clock going so when there's 4 min of stoppage time added and an "injury occurs" in the 91st and last 2 minutes, they actually stop that phantom clock the entire time and add back second for second. All time wasting would disappear immediately. Its unbelievable to me that in this day and age, there is still an incentive to time waste because everyone knows that the ref does not add back second for second.

The refs like having control of the extra time. They don’t want a clock determining when the game is over. But, sometimes they seem to determine it on the basis of the jersey the team is wearing. I remember last year when Liverpool scored in the 6th minute of 4 minutes of added time.

The all-time classic is when Real Madrid tied Alaves in the 11th minute of 3 minutes of added time on a PK after Pepe grabbed an Alaves player from behind on a corner and pulled him to the ground on top of him. The penalty was called in the 9th minute and after 2 minutes of Alaves rightfully complaining, Ramos converted. The ref then immediately blew the whistle for time.

Along with many on here, I wish they could keep track of all stoppages on the sideline but there are too many vagaries. What is the reasonable time for a goalie to take a goal kick? How about a throw-in? Arguing a foul call? How many times does Neymar get to roll over on the ground after a foul before you start adding time? Do you only add time for dives by notorious divers like Neymar or for anyone who goes down, like Messi who almost never dives?

So much is subjective, I think they should and will keep it in the officials’ discretion.

The refs like having control of the extra time. They don’t want a clock determining when the game is over. But, sometimes they seem to determine it on the basis of the jersey the team is wearing. I remember last year when Liverpool scored in the 6th minute of 4 minutes of added time.

The all-time classic is when Real Madrid tied Alaves in the 11th minute of 3 minutes of added time on a PK after Pepe grabbed an Alaves player from behind on a corner and pulled him to the ground on top of him. The penalty was called in the 9th minute and after 2 minutes of Alaves rightfully complaining, Ramos converted. The ref then immediately blew the whistle for time.

Along with many on here, I wish they could keep track of all stoppages on the sideline but there are too many vagaries. What is the reasonable time for a goalie to take a goal kick? How about a throw-in? Arguing a foul call? How many times does Neymar get to roll over on the ground after a foul before you start adding time? Do you only add time for dives by notorious divers like Neymar or for anyone who goes down, like Messi who almost never dives?

So much is subjective, I think they should and will keep it in the officials’ discretion.
This really isn't that hard.

Commission a study on the average time the ball is in play in a soccer match. Lets say its 38 minutes per half. So put 38 minutes on a fake clock and stop it every time the ball goes out of play or there's a stoppage or goal. If the real clock hits 45 minutes but there's still 5 minutes left on the 38, you put up 5 minutes of stoppage time.

There was a book written a decade ago called Scorecasting in which there is a section addressing the issue of added time in soccer. After a lot of analysis it was discovered that there is an undeniable bias toward the home teams by the referees. If the home team was winning added time tended to be shorter on average than it should have been, if they were losing it tended to be longer.

Reactions: mike412
I think everyone is missing the other part of it, and it’s the gamesmanship. Faking the injuries to draw cards and to slow down the tempo of the game. It sounds like Spanish football is trending toward MLB levels in regards to unnecessary pausing of the action. No new rules with the clock are going to change that.

I remember last year when Liverpool scored in the 6th minute of 4 minutes of added time.

I was watching that game as well.

In England, those extra two minutes are called "Fergie Time", after Sir Alex, because Man U got "breaks" like that from the refs all the time.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I personally would rather see 3 x 25 minute periods (a la hockey) rather than 2 x 45 minute halves. Substitutions could only be made during the breaks. During play substitutions only in the case of an injury (may not return).

I feel like teams would be fresher and more competitive in the last part of the game and injuries would stop the clock and added time would be slightly more predictable.

I think everyone is missing the other part of it, and it’s the gamesmanship. Faking the injuries to draw cards and to slow down the tempo of the game. It sounds like Spanish football is trending toward MLB levels in regards to unnecessary pausing of the action. No new rules with the clock are going to change that.
It’s no different than a lineman taking a knee when the other teams offense is just too high tempo and they are gassing the defense. Players take a knee to stop the momentum. Euro drama queens know that it stops momentum, stops potential scoring opportunities, or gives scoring opportunities, and frustrates teams. If a breakaway foul results in a card, excessive face holding, ankle holding, rolling around on the pitch needs to be scrutinized more. I’ve seen Messi get clobbered and he mostly gets up. But I’ve seen dudes get a slight bump and you’d think a truck drive on the pitch and proceeded to drive over the player multiple times.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
Or why not STOP THE CLOCK for any water break, VAR review, injury where they need to cart the guy off, or if the "injured guy" stays down for more than 60 seconds. Why the obsession with not stopping it, even at OBVIOUS times, like water break or VAR?

Or why not STOP THE CLOCK for any water break, VAR review, injury where they need to cart the guy off, or if the "injured guy" stays down for more than 60 seconds. Why the obsession with not stopping it, even at OBVIOUS times, like water break or VAR?
It is bizarre that this is acceptable all over the world in the most popular sport in the world. Maybe Joe was right above and it’s a cultural thing that we can’t understand it, yet everyone else accepts it. For a referee to be the sole arbiter of time and only he knows what the number is…like I said bizarre.

It is bizarre that this is acceptable all over the world in the most popular sport in the world. Maybe Joe was right above and it’s a cultural thing that we can’t understand it, yet everyone else accepts it. For a referee to be the sole arbiter of time and only he knows what the number is…like I said bizarre.
It could just be as simple as, "we're not stopping the clock, because that's what the Americans would do". I could be for MY SUGGESTIONS, Water breaks, VAR, obvious injuries, but I wouldn't want it to become like an American sport, where you'd have to look at replay for a couple minutes to set the clock to an exact second.

It could just be as simple as, "we're not stopping the clock, because that's what the Americans would do".

It's not that at all. Soccer has been played that way for for something like 150 years. No one in the rest of the world cares, not even a little bit, about how the Americans think the game should be played or officiated. They do it this way because that's the way that it's always been done, and, as I said, for Europeans (and much of the rest of the world) having the bureaucrat completely in charge is how things are generally done.

It's not that at all. Soccer has been played that way for for something like 150 years. No one in the rest of the world cares, not even a little bit, about how the Americans think the game should be played or officiated. They do it this way because that's the way that it's always been done, and, as I said, for Europeans (and much of the rest of the world) having the bureaucrat completely in charge is how things are generally done.
You just said basically what I said.

Ronaldo back at Man U
Two nights ago it was believed that he was going to City…and for the life of me I couldn’t understand why he would go to the noisy neighbors and his beloved United wasn’t even involved. And then yesterday AM it was confirmed that CR7 was a done deal to United. It happened that quickly. As much as I HATE United, CR7 to go back there in the twilight of his career is just the right thing to do.

So can United fans finally stop crying about money? Can we acknowledge that Financial Fair play doesn’t exist?? I’m not complaining as my club spends money too…but the EPL is just brutally stacked and loaded at the top. Other than Messi and his ridiculously talented teammates playing for PSG in the #6 league in Europe, the disparity between the EPL and the other leagues has widened even more.

Two nights ago it was believed that he was going to City…and for the life of me I couldn’t understand why he would go to the noisy neighbors and his beloved United wasn’t even involved. And then yesterday AM it was confirmed that CR7 was a done deal to United. It happened that quickly. As much as I HATE United, CR7 to go back there in the twilight of his career is just the right thing to do.

So can United fans finally stop crying about money? Can we acknowledge that Financial Fair play doesn’t exist?? I’m not complaining as my club spends money too…but the EPL is just brutally stacked and loaded at the top. Other than Messi and his ridiculously talented teammates playing for PSG in the #6 league in Europe, the disparity between the EPL and the other leagues has widened even more.
I’ve been a fan of United for such along time. And it just made perfect sense to see him at United and not city.

I know the Bundesliga is off most US fans' radar, but Erling Haaland (and Gio Reyna) make Dortmund a fun team to watch. If not getting Ronaldo means City ends up with Haaland next year, I think their fans should be OK with that

I know the Bundesliga is off most US fans' radar, but Erling Haaland (and Gio Reyna) make Dortmund a fun team to watch. If not getting Ronaldo means City ends up with Haaland next year, I think their fans should be OK with that
Dortmund’s decision to hold onto Haaland was the right one. Their UCL draw is favorable and they will win their group and can make a run in the later rounds and earn money that they would have captured via a Haaland transfer fee from Chelsea, City or United.

As much as I HATE United, CR7 to go back there in the twilight of his career is just the right thing to do.

It might be the right thing for Ronaldo, but from a United point of view does it solve what their problems are? Most people seem to think that United's problem right now is lack of a midfielder who can link the defense to the offense. Ronaldo has never paid much attention to playing defense and tracking back, and he does even less of that now that he's 36.

Which is also why he seemed to make so much sense for City. City's need is a guy who can consistently score goals. A true number 10. At this point, Ronaldo might not do a whole lot of other things, but he can still put the ball in the back of the net. They have plenty of guys in the midfield who can (and do) do the hard work, but they are missing a finisher (as much as you can say a team like City is "missing" anything).

Of course with him being in the last year of his contract United didn't really have to pay much for him, but how much better does he actually make them as a team? I guess we will find out.

• Love
It might be the right thing for Ronaldo, but from a United point of view does it solve what their problems are? Most people seem to think that United's problem right now is lack of a midfielder who can link the defense to the offense. Ronaldo has never paid much attention to playing defense and tracking back, and he does even less of that now that he's 36.

Which is also why he seemed to make so much sense for City. City's need is a guy who can consistently score goals. A true number 10. At this point, Ronaldo might not do a whole lot of other things, but he can still put the ball in the back of the net. They have plenty of guys in the midfield who can (and do) do the hard work, but they are missing a finisher (as much as you can say a team like City is "missing" anything).

Of course with him being in the last year of his contract United didn't really have to pay much for him, but how much better does he actually make them as a team? I guess we will find out.
You bring up a great point and I hope you’re right.

Hopefully, not any better, LOL. But, yes I’d love for City to have obtained a true #10. Alas, due to FFP and the lack of dirty Russian oil money they lack a true #10.

City’s solution has been to play three center forwards. Like, three within the width of the goal box. On paper, it is a 4-3-3. In practice, it morphs into a 2-3-5 with the ball and a 4-1(DM)-1(right mid gives a cushion to the left FB)-4 without.

Alas, due to FFP and the lack of dirty Russian oil money they lack a true #10.

Is Abu Dahbi oil money actually less dirty than Russian oil money? I think you'd find a lot of people who disagree with that.

And as far as FFP play goes, have any big clubs other than Man City actually been "convicted" of violating FFP rules? I mean with the shenanigans that have gone on at places like PSG and Barca, how blatently does City have to be violating the rules that they have gotten in trouble and pretty much no one else has?

Is Abu Dahbi oil money actually less dirty than Russian oil money? I think you'd find a lot of people who disagree with that.

And as far as FFP play goes, have any big clubs other than Man City actually been "convicted" of violating FFP rules? I mean with the shenanigans that have gone on at places like PSG and Barca, how blatently does City have to be violating the rules that they have gotten in trouble and pretty much no one else has?
Abu Dashboard money is as clean as the driven snow. All money put in is through perfectly legitimate sponsorships. City’s only violation is being too good, while not being a historic blue-blood.

Also, last year the two biggest trophies in all of soccer were the EFL Cup and the Premier league crown. Far more important than either the FA Cup or UEFA title.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Abu Dashboard money is as clean as the driven snow. All money put in is through perfectly legitimate sponsorships. City’s only violation is being too good, while not being a historic blue-blood.

Also, last year the two biggest trophies in all of soccer were the EFL Cup and the Premier league crown. Far more important than either the FA Cup or UEFA title.
Wait I’m confused. If this is sarcasm, I’m not catching it. Financial fair play doesn’t exist, and I thought United was the only club whose supporters complain about money when they spend more than everyone else.

Last edited:
Wait I’m confused. If this is sarcasm, I’m not catching it. Financial fair play doesn’t exist, and I thought United was the only club whose supporters complain about money when they spend more than everyone else.
Bad attempt at a joke/ sarcasm. I love it when my team spends great amounts of money on great players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT