ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the Inside Story?

I guess you've never been in a company and saw a person get promoted who didn't know his job but knew someone who could get him promoted. Or better yet, have the new hire be trained by someone who is infinitely more qualified only to be given the job over the guy that trained him.

Lastly, Tomlin either told Kenny or intimated that Russ would be the starter after being told there would be a competition. And psst...there isn't competitions for each spot on any professional team - some guys get spots for various reasons outside of their talent.
Yep, lots of stupid stuff, politics and such, are present in many companies.

But in the world of Steelers football it's about winning and player availability from other teams and freee agency changes by the minute. And any player that doesn't realize that and can't deal with it on a personal level might not be mature enough to last too long in the NFL. What Tomlin says is true one minute can change the next minute and that's not a reflection on Tomlin but just the real world of the NFL and professional sports in general. And psst, the Steelers organization and Tomlin want to win, and yes I do believe they will put together a team using every option that comes up to do just that. And no I don't believe players on the Steeler roster get there by anything other than their contribution to winning. That's why even the home town boy get moved out when a better option comes available.

Yep, lots of stupid stuff, politics and such, are present in many companies.

But in the world of Steelers football it's about winning and player availability from other teams and freee agency changes by the minute. And any player that doesn't realize that and can't deal with it on a personal level might not be mature enough to last too long in the NFL. What Tomlin says is true one minute can change the next minute and that's not a reflection on Tomlin but just the real world of the NFL and professional sports in general. And psst, the Steelers organization and Tomlin want to win, and yes I do believe they will put together a team using every option that comes up to do just that. And no I don't believe players on the Steeler roster get there by anything other than their contribution to winning. That's why even the home town boy get moved out when a better option comes available.
I hear you on the Steeler football and changes in the NFL are fluid. But remember, this is the players occupation and livelihood. They make decisions based on opportunity(playing time) which leads to earning potential. So when a player is being recruited or even spoken to - it's with the inherent understanding of what they are being told is going to be solid and truthful.

There have been at least three instances before Kenny, where players were told one thing only to have something else occur. So my advice to Tomlin is not to box himself in - because he's been deemed the "coach players would love to play for", based on whatever reason you want to wrap around that. But when these things keep happening, it gives pause for transparency, being upfront and more importantly, truthfulness.

I hear you on the Steeler football and changes in the NFL are fluid. But remember, this is the players occupation and livelihood. They make decisions based on opportunity(playing time) which leads to earning potential. So when a player is being recruited or even spoken to - it's with the inherent understanding of what they are being told is going to be solid and truthful.

There have been at least three instances before Kenny, where players were told one thing only to have something else occur. So my advice to Tomlin is not to box himself in - because he's been deemed the "coach players would love to play for", based on whatever reason you want to wrap around that. But when these things keep happening, it gives pause for transparency, being upfront and more importantly, truthfulness.
Did you ever think that Tomlin had every intention of going with KP until Russell Wilson became a reality ?

Things change and in what world is KP living in not to realize he doesn’t have the credentials of a Russell Wilson . Of course Wilson is getting the nod and KP should’ve felt like I’m beating out this 36 yr old .

Had the Steelers traded a high draft pick for Fields and instantly anointed him the starter over KP , now he has a gripe .

Promising a guy PT when trying to sign him is what everyone does , it’s not a Steeler Mike Tomlin thing , once you’re there your performance determines how many plays you get . If RW blows he’ll be on the bench no matter how much love they’re showing him now .

Did you ever think that Tomlin had every intention of going with KP until Russell Wilson became a reality ?

Things change and in what world is KP living in not to realize he doesn’t have the credentials of a Russell Wilson . Of course Wilson is getting the nod and KP should’ve felt like I’m beating out this 36 yr old .

Had the Steelers traded a high draft pick for Fields and instantly anointed him the starter over KP , now he has a gripe .

Promising a guy PT when trying to sign him is what everyone does , it’s not a Steeler Mike Tomlin thing , once you’re there your performance determines how many plays you get . If RW blows he’ll be on the bench no matter how much love they’re showing him now
Russell Wilson is a has been - and the Steelers couldn't develop a QB if Joe Montana dropped in their lap. What he told Kenny he reneged on - some people have morals and character. Kenny decided that the Steelers wasn't an organization he wanted to be a part of - no harm no foul. People leave organizations all the time.

Did you ever think that Tomlin had every intention of going with KP until Russell Wilson became a reality ? Nope....but hey man who gives an F now???? All I know is they better be real damn sure about Russ and or Fields because if this blows up in their face 🤣 Ohhhh baby get the popcorn ready.

Promising a guy PT when trying to sign him is what everyone does , it’s not a Steeler Mike Tomlin thing , once you’re there your performance determines how many plays you get . If RW blows he’ll be on the bench no matter how much love they’re showing him now .
It’s a business. I have no issue with the Steelers making any changes to try to win. It’s their asses on the line.

It looks like in order to sign Russ the Steelers had to promise him he’d be the starter. It also looks like the Steelers were interested in fields even before they signed Russ The
Fact that they were able to swing the trade the next day after trading KP indicates this was in the works for a while

I don’t think KP had any problem with having to compete with Russ for the starting Job. However it appears he was told the Job is Russ’s to lose. In addition I’m sure KP heard that the Steelers were interested in fields as well. He saw the hand writing on the wall and decided it was best to move on. It clear the Steelers soured on him and he really wasn’t in their plans despite their public comments Add in how toxic the media and fan base had become and it made sense for him to move on

I don’t blame either side. They both did what they think was best for themselves. We’ll see who made the right decision

I’m personally not sold on Russ or fields. Neither has shown they can be winning qbs (in Wilson’s case it’s over the last 4-5 years )

Should be interesting to see how this plays out

It’s a business. I have no issue with the Steelers making any changes to try to win. It’s their asses on the line.

It looks like in order to sign Russ the Steelers had to promise him he’d be the starter. It also looks like the Steelers were interested in fields even before they signed Russ The
Fact that they were able to swing the trade the next day after trading KP indicates this was in the works for a while

I don’t think KP had any problem with having to compete with Russ for the starting Job. However it appears he was told the Job is Russ’s to lose. In addition I’m sure KP heard that the Steelers were interested in fields as well. He saw the hand writing on the wall and decided it was best to move on. It clear the Steelers soured on him and he really wasn’t in their plans despite their public comments Add in how toxic the media and fan base had become and it made sense for him to move on

I don’t blame either side. They both did what they think was best for themselves. We’ll see who made the right decision

I’m personally not sold on Russ or fields. Neither has shown they can be winning qbs (in Wilson’s case it’s over the last 4-5 years )

Should be interesting to see how this plays out
It’s only a business for the Steelers. KP should shut up and “compete” no matter the reality.

TRUE...the smear campaign and hatchet job against Kenny was a beotch arse petty move. Welcome to the new Steeler Way. That's why they haven't won anything of significance since the Obama administration.
Staying with a QB who threw 13 TDS in two yrs will certainly lead you to a Super Bowl .

If you haven’t noticed the Steelers aren’t conducting business as usual since Omar became the GM .

Both Tomlin and Kahn haven’t said one bad word about KP and traded him to the team he wanted to go to .

I get it you’re a Pitt and a KP fan and there’s nothing wrong with that , but he wasn’t getting it done and the opportunity became available to better themselves and you wanted them to punt . So the only conclusion is that your loyalty to Pitt outweighs your feeling towards the Steelers .

Staying with a QB who threw 13 TDS in two yrs will certainly lead you to a Super Bowl .

If you haven’t noticed the Steelers aren’t conducting business as usual since Omar became the GM .

Both Tomlin and Kahn haven’t said one bad word about KP and traded him to the team he wanted to go to .

I get it you’re a Pitt and a KP fan and there’s nothing wrong with that , but he wasn’t getting it done and the opportunity became available to better themselves and you wanted them to punt . So the only conclusion is that your loyalty to Pitt outweighs your feeling towards the Steelers .
Why would they? They have a flock of media suck-ups to do it for them. Why continue to be naive?

Reactions: pittdan77
Why would they? They have a flock of media suck-ups to do it for them. Why continue to be naive?
EXACTLY!!! And Tomlin and Khan not doing business as usual by dumpster diving and taking advantage of cheap contracts is not earth shattering. Patrick Queen being the centerpiece is not all that appetizing.

EXACTLY!!! And Tomlin and Khan not doing business as usual by dumpster diving and taking advantage of cheap contracts is not earth shattering. Patrick Queen being the centerpiece is not all that appetizing.
You’re both right the Steelers aren’t trying to better themselves , hell they just traded a future HOF Super Bowl winning QB for 2 7th round draft picks and 20 spots in the draft .

You guys are confusing peewee Fb with the NFL , poor little Kenny we don’t want him anymore on our team you can now make your 2, 000, 000 + dollars in Philly . This must be emotional hell for him .

You’re both right the Steelers aren’t trying to better themselves , hell they just traded a future HOF Super Bowl winning QB for 2 7th round draft picks and 20 spots in the draft .

You guys are confusing peewee Fb with the NFL , poor little Kenny we don’t want him anymore on our team you can now make your 2, 000, 000 + dollars in Philly . This must be emotional hell for him .
We're not confusing anything - we're just not letting the Steelers put a Dixie Cup in front of us and telling us to drink.

Seems like you are getting way too emotionally involved in this. I think you have lost the plot here. The issue for right thinking people is the smear job by the Steelers on KP.

Non-fanatics don’t worry so much about where people prefer to play and what personnel moves teams make. That is left to people who care more about sports than rational things.

Don't be so naive it's what's said and done behind closed doors that is the atrocity.

Don't be so naive it's what's said and done behind closed doors that is the atrocity.
What atrocity happened ?

A QB who wasn’t performing was replaced by a better player and traded . He’s still making millions of dollars at the age of 26 . How’s he ever going to get on with his life !

Is every guy who’s cut or benched an atrocity or just Kenny ? .

With KP being the only QB on your roster you bet Tomlin and Omar said publicly and privately to him that we have all the confidence in world in Kenny , he’s our man . What else would you expect them to say . He sucks , god we hope we can find anyone better !

Those that are crying over poor little Kenny’s plight need to grow up , this is professional football . Produce or get on with your life’s work .( NFL ….not for long )

Now with the NIL all college athletes at the D1 level are professionals and no matter what the coach said to get you on campus if you don’t produce or show potential not only will your scholarship be pulled you’ll basically be fired , cut , let go , lied to whatever , but you’ll be gone . Is that an atrocity too ?

TRUE...the smear campaign and hatchet job against Kenny was a beotch arse petty move. Welcome to the new Steeler Way. That's why they haven't won anything of significance since the Obama administration.

please tell us what Steeler personnel smeared Kenny? Also tell us what that person said to smear Kenny. I have not heard or seen these smears.

What atrocity happened ?

A QB who wasn’t performing was replaced by a better player and traded . He’s still making millions of dollars at the age of 26 . How’s he ever going to get on with his life !

Is every guy who’s cut or benched an atrocity or just Kenny ? .

With KP being the only QB on your roster you bet Tomlin and Omar said publicly and privately to him that we have all the confidence in world in Kenny , he’s our man . What else would you expect them to say . He sucks , god we hope we can find anyone better !

Those that are crying over poor little Kenny’s plight need to grow up , this is professional football . Produce or get on with your life’s work .( NFL ….not for long )

Now with the NIL all college athletes at the D1 level are professionals and no matter what the coach said to get you on campus if you don’t produce or show potential not only will your scholarship be pulled you’ll basically be fired , cut , let go , lied to whatever , but you’ll be gone . Is that an atrocity too ?
For someone who sucked and the fans wanted benched there sure is a lot of hand wringing over him being a “quitter” and asking to.be traded. You’d think a fan base who thought he was a bust woood be celebrating the fact that he quit and made it easy for da stillers to move on

For someone who sucked and the fans wanted benched there sure is a lot of hand wringing over him being a “quitter” and asking to.be traded. You’d think a fan base who thought he was a bust woood be celebrating the fact that he quit and made it easy for da stillers to move on
He was the starting QB who was drafted in the first round from Pitt playing for far and away the most popular sports franchise in Pgh , that shouldn’t garner any attention ! I don’t think very many Steeler fans wanted him to quit . I wanted him to come back and work his butt off and prove them wrong and beat out a 36 yr old whose best days are in he rear view mirror . Guess he’d rather sit behind a younger better QB in Philly who he has no chance of out playing.

At this point who cares? Don't think the Steelers do not have a PR dept to always make themselves look good to their fan base or that KP doesn't have an ego!

He was the starting QB who was drafted in the first round from Pitt playing for far and away the most popular sports franchise in Pgh , that shouldn’t garner any attention ! I don’t think very many Steeler fans wanted him to quit . I wanted him to come back and work his butt off and prove them wrong and beat out a 36 yr old whose best days are in he rear view mirror . Guess he’d rather sit behind a younger better QB in Philly who he has no chance of out playing.
He had no chance of playing here It was clear the Steelers decided to move on as they were reported to be interested in fields LONG before the KP requested the trade.

It’s a business. The Steelers made theirs and KP made his. It’s fair to question whether either side made the right decision but yinzers and the yinzers media are butt hurt that KP made his You’d think they’d be elated to be able to dump a draft bust

Honestly you don't know what he has a chance to do, because we haven't seen what he can do in a REAL offense. Kenny is oozing with confidence and I think he has a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas. I'm not saying he starts over Jalen, but it's not out of the question for him to outperform him in camp. Will that translate to him starting? Probably not, but don't think for one second that a team like Denver won't be watching and waiting to see how he looks and if he excels he may be back in the AFC before the season starts. Not everyone is Sold on their starting quarterback and not all of them are getting a first round pick QB. 2 years left on his rookie deal makes him an intriguing guy and don't think for one minute the Eagles were the only team interested. I personally believe they sent him somewhere he was sure not to start and definitely they weren't sending him to the AFC. Can't wait to hear how he looks. I'm a Pitt fan and root for the players. I have no NFL team allegiance anymore because I fell out of love with the Steelers years ago well before Kenny. Only started rooting for them again because of Pickett. Was he great here? Not at all, but the whole offense was putrid. The disorganization and chaos has been largely understated, and once they got rid of Canada the fan base next turned their frustrations to Pickett. Mason looked great not in relief of Kenny, but in relief of Mitch. Mitch would make anyone looked like Tom Brady...and yet he got a deal to be a backup in an instance. Make you wonder if he was really that bad or if the rest of the league realizes how offensive the offense in general was. Based on Mitch's play here he should have been driving Ubers not backing up a pro bowl QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hilton Head Panther
Honestly you don't know what he has a chance to do, because we haven't seen what he can do in a REAL offense. Kenny is oozing with confidence and I think he has a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas. I'm not saying he starts over Jalen, but it's not out of the question for him to outperform him in camp. Will that translate to him starting? Probably not, but don't think for one second that a team like Denver won't be watching and waiting to see how he looks and if he excels he may be back in the AFC before the season starts. Not everyone is Sold on their starting quarterback and not all of them are getting a first round pick QB. 2 years left on his rookie deal makes him an intriguing guy and don't think for one minute the Eagles were the only team interested. I personally believe they sent him somewhere he was sure not to start and definitely they weren't sending him to the AFC. Can't wait to hear how he looks. I'm a Pitt fan and root for the players. I have no NFL team allegiance anymore because I fell out of love with the Steelers years ago well before Kenny. Only started rooting for them again because of Pickett. Was he great here? Not at all, but the whole offense was putrid. The disorganization and chaos has been largely understated, and once they got rid of Canada the fan base next turned their frustrations to Pickett. Mason looked great not in relief of Kenny, but in relief of Mitch. Mitch would make anyone looked like Tom Brady...and yet he got a deal to be a backup in an instance. Make you wonder if he was really that bad or if the rest of the league realizes how offensive the offense in general was. Based on Mitch's play here he should have been driving Ubers not backing up a pro bowl QB.
What world do you live in ? Kenny outplaying Hurts !

Did you actually watch this season ? Mitch and Kenny had all the first team reps and neither performed anywhere near as well as Mason did . Kenny was healthy for the Buffalo game , think Mason plays over Ben in that situation ? Ben on one leg would’ve started that game .

Kenny will have a nice career as a backup , make millions of dollars and not get his body destroyed, not a bad gig .

Certain guys have IT , and after seeing him play and practice for two yrs the Steelers just let go of a franchise QB for basically nothing . Boy are they idiots .

Last edited:
He had no chance of playing here It was clear the Steelers decided to move on as they were reported to be interested in fields LONG before the KP requested the trade.

It’s a business. The Steelers made theirs and KP made his. It’s fair to question whether either side made the right decision but yinzers and the yinzers media are butt hurt that KP made his You’d think they’d be elated to be able to dump a draft bust
As a Steeler fan I’m elated to have a Qb room with Wilson and Fields as opposed to one with KP and whomever they would’ve signed to compete with him .

My feelings aren’t involved in KP decision to not want to stay and compete with RW , I just think he made a horrific career decision . There’s no chance he plays in Philly and the Steelers didn’t get a 25 yr old RW they got an aging Qb whose best days are behind him . Stay and work your butt off and when you get your chance make the most of it , it could’ve happened here it won’t in Philly .

What young QB do you think finds success behind a trash oline, throwing to subpar WRs while running plays from the worst OC in the NFL?

Blame the stillers incompetence on the mess they created themselves. Anyone with half a brain can see they needed "cover" for their incompetence so they threw their QB under the bus. They are and have been Pittsburgh Browns for a while now.

What young QB do you think finds success behind a trash oline, throwing to subpar WRs while running plays from the worst OC in the NFL?

Blame the stillers incompetence on the mess they created themselves. Anyone with half a brain can see they needed "cover" for their incompetence so they threw their QB under the bus. They are and have been Pittsburgh Browns for a while now.
DING, DING, DING...WE HAVE A WINNER!!

As a Steeler fan I’m elated to have a Qb room with Wilson and Fields as opposed to one with KP and whomever they would’ve signed to compete with him .

My feelings aren’t involved in KP decision to not want to stay and compete with RW , I just think he made a horrific career decision . There’s no chance he plays in Philly and the Steelers didn’t get a 25 yr old RW they got an aging Qb whose best days are behind him . Stay and work your butt off and when you get your chance make the most of it , it could’ve happened here it won’t in Philly .
Yeah - but you were clearly kicked in the head while trying to milk a goat without your milking helmet on. Your take on Pitt basketball and Steelers football are always laughable, dude, but I guess I appreciate your cult-like enthusiasm for both.

Reactions: joeydavid

The same Oline performed much better when they were able to actually complete passes down the field . Harris and Warren had room to run .

Pickens is a true talent , Johnson was a great route runner and Freiermuth is a fine TE . There’s videos all over the internet with those guys running wide open and KP not seeing them . Which caused much frustration among the wideouts . Funny how Mason found these guys down the field .

I’m not going to defend Canada at all , but it sure looks the qb was part of the problem.

They’re not going to give up a great Qb for 7th round draft choices to “cover “ up .

I get it this is a Pitt forum and everyone including myself wanted KP to be successful , he was a damm good college Qb and there’s lots of those guys and there’s not many great pro QBs . Face it , Kenny isn’t a great pro Qb .

Yeah - but you were clearly kicked in the head while trying to milk a goat without your milking helmet on. Your take on Pitt basketball and Steelers football are always laughable, dude, but I guess I appreciate your cult-like enthusiasm for both.
You’re right KP will go down as a HOF pro Qb and the Steelers as complete idiots . The Steelers were an offensive juggernaut with KP . Who has been kicked in the head !

My take on Pitt Bb has been pretty much right on whereas you have none . I recognized that Burton was going to be a special player when folks like yourself were badmouthing him three yrs ago , I saw Blake at a practice before last season (2yrs ago ) and I predicted his excellence, my take on Bud , Lowe and Ish have been 100% right on . While people like yourself wanted JC gone for yrs I recognized that it would take time for him to find his footings . GDG has the potential to be a game changer as he gains strength and yes this team having a healthy John Hugley would’ve been better if he would have accepted his roll . Yeah your right my take on Pitt Bb is really off .

The same Oline performed much better when they were able to actually complete passes down the field . Harris and Warren had room to run .

Pickens is a true talent , Johnson was a great route runner and Freiermuth is a fine TE . There’s videos all over the internet with those guys running wide open and KP not seeing them . Which caused much frustration among the wideouts . Funny how Mason found these guys down the field .

I’m not going to defend Canada at all , but it sure looks the qb was part of the problem.

They’re not going to give up a great Qb for 7th round draft choices to “cover “ up .

I get it this is a Pitt forum and everyone including myself wanted KP to be successful , he was a damm good college Qb and there’s lots of those guys and there’s not many great pro QBs . Face it , Kenny isn’t a great pro Qb .

24/33 278 yards (with drops and plays called back with senseless penalties) in the only game without the Canada. Lol.

Do you really think the issue was the QB and not the OC? C'mon man.

Reactions: DruidTM and 303vND
24/33 278 yards (with drops and plays called back with senseless penalties) in the only game without the Canada. Lol.

Do you really think the issue was the QB and not the OC? C'mon man.
One game and yes Canada was part of the problem .

If they thought that KP was the man he would’ve started in Buffalo . The tape doesn’t lie , the Steelers were much more dynamic down the field with MR . Why is this so hard to understand. You think benching the guy you stuck with all season makes Tomlin look good ? The best Qb you had was running your scout team , it makes the entire offensive staff look bad .

If KP was from Maryland or Virginia people on this site wouldn’t be defending him .

One game and yes Canada was part of the problem .

If they thought that KP was the man he would’ve started in Buffalo . The tape doesn’t lie , the Steelers were much more dynamic down the field with MR . Why is this so hard to understand. You think benching the guy you stuck with all season makes Tomlin look good ? The best Qb you had was running your scout team , it makes the entire offensive staff look bad .

If KP was from Maryland or Virginia people on this site wouldn’t be defending him .

The silly part of this argument is Mason's numbers in his 6th year weren't better than Pickett's one game without Canada. Again, you, the stillers and just about anyone else you want to throw in there doesn't have a clue if Pickett is a QB1 in the NFL and that's 100% on the shear incompetence of the stillers.

That said, the experts (actual NFL guys) at 33rdTeam think he's a winning QB1 in the NFL off of his film. They agree the stillers phucked up the situation start to finish.

At this point who cares?
Headlines from various sources, just this week:

"Steelers were fooled by Kenny Pickett as he turns out to be nothing more than Tim Tebow"
"Kenny Pickett sabotaged his own career by ignoring Steelers QB history"
"Steelers 'Pickett Dump' earns team a dreadful grade with limited return"
"Tomlin's comment on Russell Wilson proves Kenny Pickett overreacted"
"Ex-Steelers player compares Pickett to Tim Tebow"
"Kenny Pickett, Steelers Drama makes Taylor Swift Headlines"

Seems as if there is still an axe to grind.

Headlines from various sources, just this week:

"Steelers were fooled by Kenny Pickett as he turns out to be nothing more than Tim Tebow"
"Kenny Pickett sabotaged his own career by ignoring Steelers QB history"
"Steelers 'Pickett Dump' earns team a dreadful grade with limited return"
"Tomlin's comment on Russell Wilson proves Kenny Pickett overreacted"
"Ex-Steelers player compares Pickett to Tim Tebow"
"Kenny Pickett, Steelers Drama makes Taylor Swift Headlines"

Seems as if there is still an axe to grind.
The Steelers are acting like a jilted school girl because Kenny wasn't up for taking on their BS. Like..."how dare you break up with me!"

Reactions: joeydavid
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT