ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Watch Party for USA Women's Soccer game

Dude, I’m with you on the pay thing. These chicks are a thousand times better and more entertaining and successful then the failed abortion that is the Men’s national team.

No one cares about the US men’s team. This country jumps on the women’s bandwagon big time and deservedly so. There are like 8 relatives that follow the men’s team and they only do it cause they feel obligated.

Not sure I’m going to blame the USA or burn the flag cause of it though. This is on whoever pays them, not an indictment on the country as a whole. Donald trump and congress aren’t in charge of their compensation structure.

Today will be a great example of why the women should be paid less. The WWC Final will have fewer viewers than the Copa America Final and the Gold Cup Final. Sure, way more Americans will watch the WWC Final but global revenue matters. Unfortunately for the women, the men's game is infinitely more popular around the world and the men's team generates a ton of global revenue. You could say that's just because they happen to field a team in the world's most lucrative sport but it is what it is. Nobody cares about women's soccer except for Americans....and only every 4 years.

I could go on a long rant re: why US Men's Soccer stinks, but I'll still watch it when they play a big game such as tonight. Their younger talent has recently been keeping games interesting; Christian Pulisic and Weston McKinnie are players who they could build a team around.

I’m still not a huge fan but do find myself watching what I’ll just say are bigger games when the National teams are playing. But I’ve always been interested in why the USMNT is so bad. I wouldn’t ask you to spend your time on a long rant - but are there any good articles out there? I know I could google it but I’m clueless about soccer to begin with so I couldn’t begin to distinguish clickbait and or nonsense from good analysis.

Stop using facts to make a point. Some posters here won't understand it.

Again, they generated a mere $900,000 more than the men based ONLY on home games and during a terrible 3 year stretch for the men. The numbers were cherry picked. This does not count global revenue where the men bring in far more revenue.

Because Europe and Africa likes men’s soccer isn’t relevant.the men’s soccer team plays tonight, you think anyone cares?? Hell no. I’d rather watch family guy rerun.

More Earthlings will watch an otherwise meaningless USA/Mexico match than the biggest women's game of a 4 year cycle. But, to you this should not matter because only domestic revenue should count towards pay scales? Please address.

More Earthlings will watch an otherwise meaningless USA/Mexico match than the biggest women's game of a 4 year cycle. But, to you this should not matter because only domestic revenue should count towards pay scales? Please address.
The women were at a big disadvantage regarding starting time. 8AM PT vs 6PM PT

I’m still not a huge fan but do find myself watching what I’ll just say are bigger games when the National teams are playing. But I’ve always been interested in why the USMNT is so bad. I wouldn’t ask you to spend your time on a long rant - but are there any good articles out there? I know I could google it but I’m clueless about soccer to begin with so I couldn’t begin to distinguish clickbait and or nonsense from good analysis.

1. The best athletes on other countries play soccer.

2. The best athletes in the US do not play soccer.

3. The second tier athletes in the US do not play soccer.

4. The third tier athletes in this country play soccer but you cant even develop the best of these players as they have to pay around $5000 per year to play at a level higher than their local town's Recreation team.

There you go.

Again, they generated a mere $900,000 more than the men based ONLY on home games and during a terrible 3 year stretch for the men. The numbers were cherry picked. This does not count global revenue where the men bring in far more revenue.
Do you even know why the lawsuit was filed? This is a domestic issue, global revenues aren't a factor. Read...

"In March, 28 members of the 2015 women's team, including current players Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe, sued the US Soccer Federation over gender discrimination. In their lawsuit, the players accused their governing body of shortchanging them in pay and working conditions when compared to the men's national team, which has not played nearly as well, didn't qualify for last year's World Cup, and has not attracted anywhere close to the record ratings and audiences as their female counterparts."

Please show me the ratings vs these two games. If the ratings are as you say, I will address.

You like us men’s soccer, I get it. You and the players dad’s are gonna fight and defend the honor of what is the joke that the US men’s soccer team is. I respect that. Good luck to you and the players parents, which makes up 95% of the fan base.

1. The best athletes on other countries play soccer.

2. The best athletes in the US do not play soccer.

3. The second tier athletes in the US do not play soccer.

4. The third tier athletes in this country play soccer but you cant even develop the best of these players as they have to pay around $5000 per year to play at a level higher than their local town's Recreation team.

There you go.

I’m sure mostly people who pay attention to sports are already aware of the “if only LeBron James played soccer” analysis. Thanks tho.

#4 was helpful however. Had zero idea soccer could be that costly.

Do you even know why the lawsuit was filed? This is a domestic issue, global revenues aren't a factor. Read...

"In March, 28 members of the 2015 women's team, including current players Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe, sued the US Soccer Federation over gender discrimination. In their lawsuit, the players accused their governing body of shortchanging them in pay and working conditions when compared to the men's national team, which has not played nearly as well, didn't qualify for last year's World Cup, and has not attracted anywhere close to the record ratings and audiences as their female counterparts."

Of course because the women don't think the men's global revenue should matter because that's the main reason why they are paid less. The USMNT says all revenue matters.....which it should. Budding world superstars Christian Pulisic and Weston McKennie would not be happy if they were paid the same as Megan Rapinoe, who wouldn't start for the Pitt men's team and who nobody on the planet knows who she is besides Americans.

Why do USA soccer fans always say that Lebron James would be a great soccer player?

Where does this asinine line of thinking come from? Honestly, if this was true, isn’t that an insult towards soccer?

What’s so wow?

She’s the captain of the team.
The best player on the best team -
And shined on the brightest stage-
With her team backing her the whole
Way .

They represent their country and what it’s supposed to stand for very well.
Actually, she’s not the best player...and it’s really not even that close. But it’s a discussion for another day. You wouldn’t understand and I’m not sure anyone else here cares. So I’ll spare everyone.

Why do USA soccer fans always say that Lebron James would be a great soccer player?

Where does this asinine line of thinking come from? Honestly, if this was true, isn’t that an insult towards soccer?
He may have been, only if he played it from a young age. If he walked onto a field now, obviously it wouldn’t be pretty.

I’m not saying he’d be good at soccer but I get it. I mean look at him. He’s a physical freak so it’s easy to point at him or pick him and think that he could do anything with the proper training.

Look what Antonio Gates did. Or Sam Clancy. Or even Carlton Haselrig. It sometimes seems like some of these guys are a different species - at least in physical sense.

2PM European Time for the women vs 2AM European Time is pretty big. Stop making excuses.
Please share these ratings when they are released. I’d be curious. I can’t imagine anyone in the world cares about the Gold Cup. It’ll have great ratings in Mexico and hockey game type ratings in the US. No one else is watching. And the women’s World Cup had incredible ratings throughout Europe. I’m just not sure they would have been watching after their team was eliminated.

I’d be willing to bet Worldwide ratings for today’s women’s game will crush the men’s game.

That fascinating to me for some reason. I know hockey is super expensive but would have never thought soccer was financially prohibitive.

Are people getting rich off of all these suburban soccer families?
It’s pay to play just like hockey. And you need to play on an elite team that travels alot if you want to be an elite player. Dues at an elite club, on an elite team are at least $2500 and then you’re traveling regionally and nationally. So it’s closer to 7-10K.

And if you ask a kid like Christian Pulisic why he is our best player, he will tell you that it’s not because he did any of that stuff I just mentioned. It’s because he went to Europe and played there at a young age. That’s why we lag. Our kids are only playing with and against the best on this continent. The best of the best aren’t here. To be the best, you have to train, develop and compete against the best.

It was shown at 11AM ET. What time do you think that equates to in the various time zones throughout Europe? Hint - Your math is off.
I think he’s going to be wrong about the Gold Cup vs. Women’s World Cup. Not that it matters. But I’ll be interested in seeing the numbers.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
The Readers Digest/short version of the story has a lot to do with the national team’s “feeder” system. Youth soccer has turned into a money-making endeavor for clubs. Young athletes who might have the potential to be great players don’t have the financial resources to get into the system, so they’ll probably never be “discovered”.

There’s always the exception, but it’s gotten to the point that some college coaches don’t bother scouting high schools anymore; instead, they’ll go to the showcase tournaments where it’s easier to see more of the better players who play for the expensive clubs.

Last edited:
Please share these ratings when they are released. I’d be curious. I can’t imagine anyone in the world cares about the Gold Cup. It’ll have great ratings in Mexico and hockey game type ratings in the US. No one else is watching. And the women’s World Cup had incredible ratings throughout Europe. I’m just not sure they would have been watching after their team was eliminated.

I’d be willing to bet Worldwide ratings for today’s women’s game will crush the men’s game.

FK, use common sense. You should know better. More Mexicans will watch USA/Mexico than Americans that watch USA/Netherlands. Now, look at every other country on Earth. There will only be a few where the WWC will out draw USA/Mexico. Netherlands, France, and a few other Western European countries.

I mean even in the USA, the ratings wont be THAT much different. The 2011 USA Gold Cup Final on Fox Soccer Channel (which nobody knew existed) drew 9 million. Then double that for the American Spanish-language TV channel. The 2015 WWC drew 27 million. So, sure the WWC will outdraw the USA/Mexico but it's not going to blow it out of the water. And I know nobody on this board cares, but USA/Mexico will get massive ratings in South America where only about 13 people watch women's soccer.

The Readers Digest/short version of the story has a lot to do with the national team’s “feeder” system. Youth soccer has turned into a money-making endeavor for clubs. Young athletes who might have the potential to be great players don’t have the financial resources to get into the system, so they’ll probably never be “discovered”.

There’s always the exception, but it’s gotten to the point that some college coaches don’t bother scouting high schools anymore; instead, they’ll go to the showcase tournaments where it’s easier to see more of the better players who play for the expensive clubs.
Not sure they ever scouted HS games...but you mentioned college and maybe that’s part of the problem. Football and basketball kids play for college scholarships and then that leads to the next level. But college soccer isn’t an avenue for producing elite pros and international players. To be elite, college isn’t the answer. Europe is.

FK, use common sense. You should know better. More Mexicans will watch USA/Mexico than Americans that watch USA/Netherlands. Now, look at every other country on Earth. There will only be a few where the WWC will out draw USA/Mexico. Netherlands, France, and a few other Western European countries.

I mean even in the USA, the ratings wont be THAT much different. The 2011 USA Gold Cup Final on Fox Soccer Channel (which nobody knew existed) drew 9 million. Then double that for the American Spanish-language TV channel. The 2015 WWC drew 27 million. So, sure the WWC will outdraw the USA/Mexico but it's not going to blow it out of the water. And I know nobody on this board cares, but USA/Mexico will get massive ratings in South America where only about 13 people watch women's soccer.
Ok. I just looked up Mexico’s population. I didn’t realize it was that high. 127 million or close to it? You could be right. No one is watching this thing overseas though. A few Chelsea fans will stay up to watch Pulisic.

What a game! Physical. Tough. Intense. Passion. Tempo. Chippy.

No one is watching this thing overseas though.

Considering it started at 2 AM in England and 3 AM in places like France and Germany someone would have to be either an American or a Mexican or a complete nut to be watching this game in Europe.

Other than the countries in the region in most of the rest of the world where the Copa Oro could be seen it's not on a "regular" channel, it's on a streaming network. There isn't any significant viewership anywhere but our part of the world.

Actually, she’s not the best player...and it’s really not even that close.

I was going to point that out but figured it probably wasn't worth it. Her winning the Golden Ball was the equivalent of the Jason White Heisman. She was the most visible player on the best team, she wasn't the best player on the best team.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I was going to point that out but figured it probably wasn't worth it. Her winning the Golden Ball was the equivalent of the Jason White Heisman. She was the most visible player on the best team, she wasn't the best player on the best team.
She had as much to do with the team winning the World Cup as Ben roethlisberger did in super Bowl 40. Yeah Ben was the QB. Yeah he scored from a yard out. But he didn’t play a good game. Her World Cup was very similar. While I won’t go into significant detail, there’s a reason she didn’t play in the semi and it’s because Press gave them a better chance to win. And they did. She’s near the end of her International career. And it showed in the run of play in all the games.

Down 1, less than 10 minutes in the game, and the US makes their final sub. They bring on a fullback to take the place of another fullback.

That's the kind of move that would make Jill Ellis proud.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Did anyone ever attend one of these matches? It was an overwhelmingly Pro-Mexican crowd in Chicago. Are these Mexican-Americans rooting for Mexico or did a bunch of Mexican fans come to Chicago just for this game?

Down 1, less than 10 minutes in the game, and the US makes their final sub. They bring on a fullback to take the place of another fullback.

That's the kind of move that would make Jill Ellis proud.

Didn't understand that. I would have brought on Tyler Boyd for Arriola. Not a surprising result. I still say this is the worst USMNT I have seen in a long time. Its Pulisic, McKennie, and average MLS dudes. This team desperately needs guys like Tyler Adams and Josh Sargent to raise their game in the Bundesliga and for Tim Weah to catch on at a club in a good league where he can play every week. We still have nobody to supplant Bradley at the #6.

The dirty little secret here is that Mexico could have fielded a team of 11 other guys not on this roster including Chicharito and Carlos Vela who would have beaten this Mexico team rather easily. This Mexican "B+" squad wasnt impressive in this tournament.

Did anyone ever attend one of these matches? It was an overwhelmingly Pro-Mexican crowd in Chicago. Are these Mexican-Americans rooting for Mexico or did a bunch of Mexican fans come to Chicago just for this game?

They are mostly local Mexican immigrants or children/grandchildren of Mexican immigrants who grew up as huge fans of El Tri.

Didn't understand that. I would have brought on Tyler Boyd for Arriola. Not a surprising result. I still say this is the worst USMNT I have seen in a long time. Its Pulisic, McKennie, and average MLS dudes. This team desperately needs guys like Tyler Adams and Josh Sargent to raise their game in the Bundesliga and for Tim Weah to catch on at a club in a good league where he can play every week. We still have nobody to supplant Bradley at the #6.

The dirty little secret here is that Mexico could have fielded a team of 11 other guys not on this roster including Chicharito and Carlos Vela who would have beaten this Mexico team rather easily. This Mexican "B+" squad wasnt impressive in this tournament.
What do you know about Duane Holmes from derby County? Does he play the #6? I would think so. I don’t think he’s a #8.

What do you know about Duane Holmes from derby County? Does he play the #6? I would think so. I don’t think he’s a #8.

A guy playing on a low-level EPL team isn't the answer. Could he eventually replace Bradley, I guess but when he and Will Trapp are waiting in the wings, you have problems. As average as Jermaine Jones is, a player like that would be nice.

I've attended U.S. v Mexico matches in Philadelphia and it's predominantly Mexi-Americans. Probably some diehards that fly in from the home country but most live here. Add to the fact that in the Philadelphia region there is a boatload of Mexican migrants, that really makes it pro Mexico here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT